watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (12/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 12, 2010, 07:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/11/leicester-eye-fulham-full-back-freddie-stoor-82029-27449021/?
Leicester eye Fulham full-back Freddie Stoor

SVEN Goran-Eriksson is interested in making Fulham defender Freddie Stoor his first signing at Leicester City.

The 26-year-old has made just 10 appearances since his switch from Rosenborg more than two seasons ago, and is surplus to requirements at Craven Cottage.

Foxes boss Eriksson could hand his fellow Swede an escape route, initially on loan, after two years on the sidelines in SW6.

"We will see what happens," said Stoor's agent, Per Jonsson.

"Fredrik likes it in England and London. But we'll keep our eyes open for different alternatives.

"Fredrik, of course, wants to play games and get better - everyone can understand that."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/11/leicester-eye-fulham-full-back-freddie-stoor-82029-27449021/?#ixzz127k09bsH

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6439169,00.html?
Cottagers tracking keeper
Fulham could move for Swedish youngster

Trelleborgs FF have confirmed that Fulham are keeping tabs on their promising keeper Viktor Noring.

The 19-year-old is highly rated by the Swedish club and has already attracted the interest of Italians Palermo and Dutch outfit Ajax.
Chairman Per-Anders Abrahamsson expects the teenager to leave the club at some stage, but has refused to confirm his possible destination.

Noring is already a first-team regular for Trelleborgs FF and now Abrahamsson says Fulham have watched him up close and personal.

"Yes, Fulham have watched Viktor," Abrahamsson told Expressen. "Sooner or later, he will leave us."

Fulham number one Mark Schwarzer was linked with Arsenal over the summer and he could yet join The Gunners in January, meaning manager Mark Hughes could be in the market for a new keeper.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/KellyQA.aspx?
On The Spot!

Thanks to all our supporters who submitted questions for Stephen on Cottage Corner - we picked a few for the Republic of Ireland international to answer on Monday afternoon at the Training Ground...

Stephen, who is the best Kelly...Lorraine, Matthew or you?!

I'm going for me! That's a really random question but I've got to go for myself on that one.

Stephen, who is the biggest joker in the dressing room at Fulham and what is the worst prank you've seen or been involved in during your professional career?

It has to be Bobby [Zamora]. He's loud, always cracking jokes and always shouting! He's great to have around and a proper character.

There are a few pranks that are too bad to say but we used to do stupid things with the mannequins on the training pitch.

Before training whoever had the worst clothing we'd hang them from the mannequin all day. They'd be soaked from the rain sometimes and that was always good fun.

How well does Giovanni Trapattoni communicate with the players on the international team? Are you able to understand him on the training pitch?

He's [Trapattoni] obviously got better over the years. He speaks so many languages anyway. More recently, in the last six months to a year it's been a lot better. He gets his points across and it's never been a problem.

All the players understand him and there's no miscommunication. Our results up until Friday have been really good and we've always played well.

How frustrating has it been to miss out on the internationals?

It's always frustrating missing games – whether it's club or country. Fortunately I'm only out for two weeks so I'm only missing one game for Fulham but I'll miss two games for Ireland.

They're two huge games. The atmosphere was amazing on Friday but we didn't play our best and we weren't at the races. They [Russia] came out of the traps really quick and started well and scored a couple of goals. To be fair we came back and fought hard and made the score look a lot more respectable.

With the results on Friday, it's put us, Slovakia and Russia all on six points. It's a tight group and if we'd have won on Friday we'd of been on nine points and that would have been fantastic – it wasn't to be though and now it's a level field and we've got to make sure we get the results we need.

Do you think it is harder to get scouted in Ireland than in England?

It's definitely harder in Ireland. There would always be a lot of scouts that came to the games to see you play. There are a lot of Irish lads that do go abroad but obviously the scouting network in England is massive.

For me, I was back and forth from the age of twelve. I think the players that are talented will get spotted and I think it's rare that young talent in Ireland will get lost because we are so close to England.

There are a lot closer connections with English clubs now and I doubt there are many young players that slip through the net but there's definitely a bigger scouting network in the England than in Ireland.

Stephen, did you ever play any GAA games growing up and do you like watching them when you can?

I played both Gaelic Football and Hurling. I played Gaelic Football at a really good level and I represented Dublin when I was young.

I also played Hurling, which is getting bigger in Dublin now but it's been more of a country game. I played in a school team but I was more into Gaelic Football.

I watched the Finals this year and the atmosphere back home – there is so much pride and it's so competitive. The stadium where the games are held, Croke Park, produces an amazing atmosphere and it's pretty impressive.

Did you ever consider a career in pop music as you're a handsome young man? If so, what band would you have liked to be in?

I don't know about Pop music. Rock music maybe. I play guitar...

Guitar Hero?

No! I play guitar properly! I've been playing since I was 16 years old since I came over to England. It was a going away present from my mum and dad. I picked it up and have been playing ever since.

I really love music and especially live music. I love the Kings of Leon and the Killers. If I wasn't a footballer a career in a band like that would definitely be interesting!

Stephen, what do you do in your free-time to get some distance from football?

I spend my time with my wife. If I've got some time off she'll try and work her schedule around mine so we can get time together.

We chill out and often just jump on the tube to London. Last weekend we had a couple of days off so we went to watch a musical; we went to a museum and went for a walk along the river in Richmond.

We try and make the most of where we are living. In London there is so much on your doorstep – so much culture and history. It would be a massive shame not to make the most of it and enlighten yourself. I think we've been to all of the museums in London now!

Stephen, what's your favourite meal and do you cook?

I do cook and I'll try anything. My favourite dish is Christmas dinner. I don't know why because I haven't had it for years - actually, my wife made it for me last year but we had it the day before on Christmas Eve.

It's my favourite because it's symbolic and has all the trimmings. You get to enjoy it with your family and it's always a good time. I'm also partial to a filet steak!

I'll cook anything though. I do a good prawn stir fry and even though this sounds quite plain, I make a really nice spicy chicken salad. It's really hot and very good.

Name your top three recommendations for a Fulham fan visiting London or Dublin.

If you're coming to London I think you have to visit the National History Museum. The building itself is spectacular, never mind what's inside it! It's an amazing place.

I definitely recommend a bus tour of London. I know it's not an attraction but if I was coming to London, the first thing I would do is get on an open top bus. There is so much to see and it will show you where to go. It's a great thing to do.

If you like trails and rides then the Millennium Wheel is very exciting. In terms of more cultural stuff the Tate Modern or a show at the Royal Albert Hall is special.

In Dublin, you can't go without visiting the Guinness Factory - sample it straight from the pump!

Dublin is quite small so you can walk everywhere and that is my recommendation. Walk the streets and get a feel for the atmosphere. There is always a good, bubbling vibe around the city.

I'd recommend going to a Gaelic match for the experience. It's a sport you probably wouldn't have seen before and it's very different.

If you go to a football match there are two separate teams and the fans are segregated. In Gaelic it could be Dublin against Cork and all the fans mix together and generally there will be two matches on the same day, so you have four sets of fans watching both games together.

Everyone gets on well and it creates a great atmosphere. It would be different from any other sporting experience you've had before – especially if you're used to watching football.

Who is the best winger you have ever had to defend against?

It has to be Cristiano Ronaldo. He's the best in the world. He's quick; he's strong and can go either way on both feet. When you play against players you know what foot they prefer or what way you want to show them but he's a difficult opponent.

It is great playing against people like him because you do test yourself. He's one of the best in the world so it's a great chance to showcase your ability against a player like that.

If you could captain any world 11, which players, past or present would you include?

I would go for Peter Schmeichel in goal. When I was watching football as a kid he was the best around for a long, long time.

At left back it would have to be Paolo Maldini. At right back myself and at centre back I would go for Franz Beckenbauer and Paul McGrath. I would have loved to have played with him. He's an Irish legend.

I'd stick Cristiano Ronaldo on the left wing and Lionel Messi on the right wing. Centre midfield would be Roy Keane and Zinedine Zidane. Up front it would be Pele and Maradona. That's a very attack-minded team!

Stephen, what was your favourite European moment of last year?

The Juventus game without a doubt. Not many games come close to that. To come back the way we did and play in a game like that was truly amazing.

I think anybody who played in that game would say it was their favourite game. To go one-nil down so early it was crazy to think we would come back and win 4-1against a team of that stature.

For us to show the commitment to get back in the game against a huge world name in football was amazing.

We had a game two or three days later so we couldn't even let it sink in. It's only now; looking back you think what an amazing performance and result.

I think for most people it was the stand out performance of the season throughout football because it was such a spectacle for any neutral. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

What is your favourite film Stephen?

I don't know....everything. It's a horrible question! I can't think of my favourite ever film off-hand. I want to say Goodfellas but that's just a cliché.

I loved the Usual Suspects. The first time I saw that I was blown away because of how complex it was.
I like everything and it's difficult to even pick a genre. The best one I've seen recently that stands out was Inception. That was really good. Little Miss Sunshine was a very good movie too.

I love comedy films and Will Ferrell. I get his sense of humour and the quirkiness. I'm a massive fan of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings but you can't say they're the best movies of all time.

We've heard a few Fulham boys get a bit emotional watching the X Factor and even shed a few tears? Has the X Factor brought you close to tears Stephen?

Not a chance! I can't watch it because it makes me cringe! I have my hands over my face watching it and have to turn away sometimes because it's so cringy.

Who are the best and worst dressed Fulham players?

Bjorn [Helge Riise] has some shocking gear! He's terrible and wears some really dodgy stuff. His runners are bad as well.

The best dressed? AJ always looks quite smart. You can tell he puts some time and effort into it. I'd put myself up there as best dressed but I don't put as much time and effort into it as AJ does – he likes his clothes.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/KellyQA.aspx?#ixzz127koSObd

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/HughesOnPoint.aspx
Hughes On Point

Northern Ireland put the brakes on Group C leaders Italy on Friday night, earning a valuable point in a Euro 2012 Qualifier at Windsor Park. The result leaves Nigel Worthington's team just three points off top spot with a game in hand on the Italians.

Fulham's defensive duo of Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird both played a full 90 minutes on Friday night and Northern Ireland are firm favourites to claim all three points when they meet the Faroe Islands in Toftir on Tuesday. Follow the action live on Sky Sports 1 (KO 4pm).

There was certainly no shortage of goals in Budapest on Friday night as Hungary smashed eight past San Marino in their Group E qualifier. Zoltan Gera joined in the fun with an injury time penalty to put the seal on Hungary's rout.

Hungary are now level on points with second placed Sweden and just three points off Group E leaders the Netherlands. With the top two meeting each other in Amsterdam on Tuesday night, Hungary can really join the party if they achieve a positive result against Finland in Helsinki.

Norway are now cruising towards the 2012 Finals following a 2-1 win over Cyprus in Larnaca on Friday. Brede Hangeland captained his side to victory whilst his Fulham team-mate Bjorn Helge Riise saw 74 minutes of action. Three wins in three games puts Norway top of Group H, five points ahead of second placed Portugal.

In the Continental Qualifiers, John Pantsil played 90 minutes for Ghana as the Black Stars drew 0-0 with Sudan in Accra. Rafik Halliche did not feature for Algeria, who lost 2-0 to the Central African Republic in Bangui.

Mark Schwarzer played 90 minutes for Australia on Saturday as the Socceroos defeated Paraguay 1-0 in Sydney. Clint Dempsey also played a full 90 minutes as the USA drew 2-2 with Poland in Chicago on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/HughesOnPoint.aspx#ixzz127lBT0me

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/DaviesonAJ.aspx
Digger on AJ

The past few weeks have seen Andrew Johnson make a welcome return to training at Motspur Park. Following a long rehabilitation from a knee injury, Johnson has been gradually working his way back to match fitness as has looked in promising form.

Simon Davies has certainly been impressed with Johnson's displays and is looking forward to seeing his team-mate back in full competitive action soon.

"He's looking sharp," Davies told fulhamfc.com. "I've been talking to AJ a lot because I was out for a long time last season and he was asking me, 'did you feel this tired when you came back?'

"When you first come back in, the adrenalin gets you back training and then you realise how hard that is every day. Then come the games, you can train as much as you want but you need the games, whether they're reserve or First Team games, to get the minutes under your belt and get your confidence back.

"You build up and get your strength and stamina back from that. The main thing is that his knee isn't giving him a problem so if we can get him back fit and firing he'll be like a new signing.

"The Manager wants to try and get behind teams and that's AJ's strength, he loves running the channels and when he's fit, he's as quick as anything. So I think it'll be perfect for him and he'll be another great option to have."

The Whites have made a solid start to the season and still remain unbeaten in the League and Davies hoping to build on those foundations.

"We've got some quite creative players in midfield and when we've clicked into gear, like the first-half at West Ham, I think we've played some really good football. We look a really dangerous team and it's been a shame that we haven't gone on and won a couple more games. But the longer the season goes on, the better I'm sure we'll become."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/DaviesonAJ.aspx#ixzz127lSGYt5

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216636
Fulham - Mountain Out of a Molehill?
Can you believe all the fuss that`s now being made over the comments Danny Murphy made last week relating to the current crop of bad tackles that have fallen under the media spotlight.

For those who have been living the live of a hermit in recent days might like to know that Danny reckons, and quite rightly in our opinion, that some players get fired up by managers prior to taking to the pitch.

Over the weekend Danny`s comments met with a fair from agreeable response from several current players and managers. Well now the League Managers Association (LMA) have come out and also had a pop at our Danny.

In fact they are so miffed that they`ve issued a statement,

"Two of the three clubs mentioned have yet to receive a red card in the league this season."

"The accomplishments of the managers mentioned should be applauded rather than publicly judged."

"It is inappropriate for individuals to direct criticism at certain managers who are honest, professional and continue to achieve success on the field with their clubs."

"Professional football managers certainly do not incite their players to go out and cause injury to fellow professionals."

"Mistimed tackles by fractions of a second will happen and that will be a potential risk of impact or injury but in no way does it follow that the actions are either deliberate or encouraged."

I can`t help feeling that Danny is being victimized here and that the responses forthcoming are a little over the top.

How about you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216636#ixzz127ldzAk3

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216635
Fulham - Zamora on Return!
February / March certainly appear a long way off!

The season will be approaching its final stages by the time Bobby Zamora, courtesy of the broken leg received against Wolves laces his boots back on in anger.

How the team fares between now and when Bobby comes back remains to be seen.

But Bobby, looking ahead to completing his rehabilitation, is looking on the positive side and is quoted in the red-top media this morning as having remarked,

"I`ll be back stronger. I`m using my time wisely in the gym, as strength is important in the game."

"I was bullying centre backs and will do it again, which means pushing the likes of Nemanja Vidic a bit further away to create more space."

That`s the spirit Bobby, come back fitter, stronger and more prolific and the world will be your oyster!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216635#ixzz127lsPXi6

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1319686/Fulham-track-Trelleborgs-goalkeeper-Viktor-Noring.html?
Fulham track Trelleborgs goalkeeper Viktor Noring but face competition from Ajax

Fulham are watching highly-rated Trelleborgs goalkeeper Viktor Noring as Mark Hughes eyes a long-term replacement for wantaway Mark Schwarzer.

'Fulham have been studying Viktor. He will leave sooner or later,' revealed Trelleborgs chairman Per-Anders Abrahamsson, speaking to Swedish daily Expressen.

Dutch giants Ajax are also keeping tabs on goalkeeper with the Amsterdam club keen to rival Fulham for Noring's signature.

Abrahamsson expects the 19-year-old to follow in the steps of former Trelleborgs No 1 Andreas Isaksson, who enjoyed a brief stint at Manchester City.

'He will leave us, we know that. Just like Isaksson did,' said Abrahamsson.

'We have a back-up if Viktor does leave us, but I don't want to speculate on when that might be.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1319686/Fulham-track-Trelleborgs-goalkeeper-Viktor-Noring.html?#ixzz127mMvT6f

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1319688/CHARLES-SALE-Outspoken-Fulham-skipper-Danny-Murphy-skips-ITV-date.html?
Outspoken Fulham skipper Danny Murphy skips his ITV date

Fulham captain Danny Murphy, brave enough to speak out against violent football tactics by naming the guilty managers, has made a late withdrawal from a TV pundit's role for tonight's England match after talks with his club boss.

Murphy's articulate comments at the Leaders in Football conference last week, suggesting that Blackburn's Sam Allardyce, Stoke's Tony Pulis and Wolves' Mick McCarthy send out teams 'so pumped up there are inevitably going to be problems' caused controversy but enhanced his reputation as a great talker with a big media career ahead of him.

His next TV appearance was due to be in the ITV studio for their live coverage of the Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro. But Murphy pulled out following a conversation with Fulham manager Mark Hughes after training on Monday.

Fulham and Murphy's agents WMG say the decision was 'by mutal consent'. But the Premier League club did not want their captain adding fuel to the fire he has started, especially after the rent-a-quote, one-eyed League Managers Association called his views 'inappropriate'.

Murphy, described by Fulham as 'a great ambassador for the club', is more than capable of making up his own mind about what he says on air.

But as he said: 'Your manager decides what his players do and how you behave.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1319688/CHARLES-SALE-Outspoken-Fulham-skipper-Danny-Murphy-skips-ITV-date.html?#ixzz127mqcoLD

WhiteJC

http://www.epltalk.com/injuries-are-a-part-of-football-25487?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29
Injuries Are A Part Of Football

The League Managers Association have hit back at Danny Murphy over his comments regarding managers creating bad tackles. The LMA were deeply unimpressed after the Fulham midfield claimed that the likes of Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce and Mick McCarthy deliberately wound up players which in turn could lead to horror tackles.

While I do sort of see where Murphy is coming from, and I do believe that managers don't always help players keep their cool. I think Murphy is still angry over the challenge that saw his teammate Bobby Zamora suffer a broken leg.

But Karl Henry, the man who's clumsy lunge left the England striker with the injury, wasn't malicious that day and Murphy is wrong to wildly accuse managers of a lack of control over their players.

At present there is a real push to eradicate dangerous tackles. But I don't think the tackle that Henry committed was dangerous just like I don't feel the Nigel de Jong committed a dangerous tackle on Hatem Ben Arfa.

In many ways I was saddened by the news Ben Arfa's parent club Marseille are considering legal action against De Jong.  The tackle perhaps did have an element of needless force, but in no way was it malicious and in no way did the Manchester City midfielder look to deliberately injure the young Frenchman.

Injuries are an unfortunate consequence of playing a contact sport. I can remember breaking my foot after receiving a hard tackle in a Sunday League game, but I can guarantee that I will have at some point caused an opponent to also pick up an injury.

What I am trying to say is that if everybody took legal action after every injury, football would be ruined. Hard challenges are very much a part of the sport and I would be bitterly disappointed to see them banned.

While coaches can try to minimise clumsiness in challenges, they will never be able to guarantee a 100% safe way of tackling and we must remember that the game is a contact sport –accidents are bound to occur.

What do you think? Is there a problem with the state of tackling in the Premier League or are we just seeing players suffer some bad injuries as a result of pure bad fortune?

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1319695/Leeds-United-eye-Liverpool-Fulham-goalkeeper-Tony-Warner.html?
Leeds United eye up move for former Liverpool and Fulham goalkeeper Tony Warner

Leeds are taking a look at free agent goalkeeper Tony Warner as they face an injury crisis.

Warner, 36, was released by Charlton in the summer but will play for Leeds reserves against Scunthorpe on Tuesday night.

Jason Brown, on loan from Blackburn, is the only fit keeper with Kasper Schmeichel (foot) and Shane Higgs (hamstring) injured.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1319695/Leeds-United-eye-Liverpool-Fulham-goalkeeper-Tony-Warner.html?#ixzz127nl9fYV

WhiteJC

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/jeremywilson/100012914/why-league-managers-association-mistimed-their-own-tackle-on-danny-murphy/?
Why League Managers' Association mistimed their own tackle on Danny Murphy

We can only imagine the chain of events that caused the League Managers' Association to issue a statement yesterday in condemnation of a football player who had the temerity to express an opinion that questioned some of its members.

My own hunch is that there was a frantic exchange of calls and text-messages between Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce and Mick McCarthy on Friday morning after Danny Murphy had mostly spoken common sense by pointing out that managers should have some responsibility for the actions of their players. Then, I suspect, either Allardyce, McCarthy or Pulis – maybe all three – were on the phone to Richard Bevan, the LMA chief executive, to demand some action.

Yet in naming Blackburn, Stoke and Wolves as clubs whose managers send their teams out "so pumped up that inevitably there are going to be problems", Murphy was only saying something openly that, off the record, is the opinion of others in the game. Whether you agree or not, it was a point of view.

We should be clear: Murphy did not say that managers are deliberately or explicitly telling players to make tackles that cause injuries. With no evidence to support such a claim, that would clearly have been a completely inappropriate comment. What he did do was imply that "problems" were an indirect consequence of the approach encouraged by these managers.

Murphy would be the first to agree that bad injuries can be the result of misfortune, but his general point was that teams do reflect their manager.

Yet rather than really address those points, the LMA stressed that there was nothing planned or premeditated about what was happening. "Taking into account the pace of the game, mistimed tackles by fractions of a second will happen and with that will be a potential risk of impact or injury but in no way does it follow that the actions are either deliberate or encouraged," said the statement. "Professional football managers certainly do not incite their players to go out and cause injury to fellow professionals."

The statement became bizarre when it suggested that, in any case, the three managers were above criticism. "It is inappropriate for individuals to direct criticism at certain managers who are honest, professional and continue to achieve success on the field with their clubs," it said. "The accomplishments of the managers mentioned should be applauded rather than publicly judged."

Aside from the fact that the LMA is living on another planet if it thinks that the accomplishments of any Premier League manager will not be publicly judged, one other questions arises.

As I understand it, the LMA is the organisation that speaks for all managers in the Premier and Football Leagues. Yet I would hazard a guess that some managers agreed – or at least had considerable sympathy – with what Murphy said. Did the LMA check with all of its members? If not, why is it speaking out for one group of managers? It will certainly be interesting later this week to hear where, say, Arsene Wenger and Roy Hodgson stand on the debate.

White Noise

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2010/10/12/bobby-gould-slams-danny-murphy/

Bobby Gould slams Danny Murphy

Tuesday 12th October 2010, 11:00AM BST.

Former Wolves striker Bobby Gould today claimed Danny Murphy should 'keep his trap shut' over his criticism of the club.

Gould, now a hard-hitting media pundit, believes Murphy's controversial comments on Wolves, Stoke and Blackburn being 'so pumped up there are inevitably going to be problems' were unfair and ill-judged.

Murphy has pulled out of a TV role at tonight's England versus Montenegro Euro 2012 qualifier after his quotes stoked up the media firestorm on bad tackles.

And Gould, who had two prolific spells at Wolves in the 1970s, feels the Fulham captain would be better placed keeping his views to himself.

He said: "There's a lot of bunkum being spoken by a few people at the moment and they should shut their traps and get on and do what they're paid to do, which is play.

"If you're the one who's injured in a tackle, you have a right to voice an opinion. There are too many players getting blase at the moment and it's nothing to do with them.

"They know from their own dressing room that no-one goes into game to injure another player.

"Danny Murphy is no shrinking violet either – he's been booked 65 times in his career and been sent off three times."

Wolves captain Karl Henry was sent off at Wigan for a reckless lunge on Jordi Gomez and Gould admitted players risk punishment if they are late.

He said: "Unfortunately if people go to ground, then they've got to be aware of the consequences.

"But what I hate is the rolling around – it shows the opposition you are weak."

Gould also praised Wolves boss Mick McCarthy for refusing to respond to the criticism.

He said: "I think Mick is doing the right thing. He should just smile about it but not take it on board, which is his approach from a distance.

"I managed the club with the worst reputation in England – Wimbledon – and what you don't do is allow it to upset you."

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2010/10/12/bobby-gould-slams-danny-murphy/#ixzz128xlyVJn

White Noise

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/10/12/danny-murphy-must-prepare-for-backlash-after-his-verdict-on-hard/

Danny Murphy Must Prepare for Backlash After His Verdict on Hard Men

.12/10/2010 5:50 AM GMT By Mike McGrath

Mike McGrath

It is a couple of months away, but there is a seemingly run-of-the-mill fixture during the Christmas period that has been given added spice.

At just after 1500 BST on December 28 at the Britannia Stadium, expect Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy to be on the receiving end of a crunching tackle. And expect a word in his ear from his opponent afterwards.

After criticising Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves, and their managers, for the spate of bad tackles this season, the veteran is now an easy target for opponents.

His comments, made at the Leaders In Football conference last week, led to the League Managers' Association (LMA) responding with their own statement hitting out at the 33-year-old.

But behind Murphy's opinion lies a bigger worry about Premier League football, and the former Liverpool midfielder is the perfect player to talk about it.

This is because Murphy is one of the few players who find time on the ball in midfield. He picks his passes and rarely loses possession in a similar in style to Manchester United's Paul Scholes.

If more teams had players like Murphy, there certainly would not be the same amount of rash tackles. Put simply, he knows what he is doing before the ball arrives at his feet, so it is difficult for the cloggers to get near him.

It appears that his critics cannot get near him just either. He has pulled out of being a pundit for England's Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro, according to a report in the Daily Mail newspaper, meaning he will not be given the platform to defend himself after the LMA's critcism.

Murphy has played Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves already this season, so he is well positioned to comment. But the fixture schedule means he does not meet another of those teams until that December date with Stoke. Follow Us on Twitter Friend Us on Facebook iPhone App - Get It Now
Other managers are expected to respond before then. Blackburn's Sam Allardyce has already had his say, citing the pace of the game for making tackles look worse than they are.

"The collision speed means the impact is that much greater, not so much the impact on the injury but the look of the tackle looks so much more volatile than it is," Allardyce says.

"When you get one not-so-good tackle it is highlighted so much. You can get four different angles and slow it down which makes it look that much worse. If there are fewer of them we highlight them more and there is a little bit more outrage.

"I don't agree with what most people are saying, players are well behaved and make life good for the referee in the majority of times. I think it is over the top to say it needs to be stamped out. There are far fewer incidents than five or six years ago in the Premier League."

Collisions happen due to the blood-and-thunder nature of Premier League football. More players passing the ball like Murphy would mean less reckless tackling and would be a step in the right direction for English football.

A failure to retain the ball was apparent at the World Cup, but not surprising considering the style of domestic football. It is such an exciting package but does nothing for the national team.

As Bolton manager Owen Coyle explains: "We have the best league in the world and the best product because of the way we play the game.

"Nobody goes out there to purposely injure another player and every manager ensures that. We accept mistimed tackles and sometimes it is your own players who commit them. I don't believe there is any malice in that, it's because of the pace of the game."

Players passing the ball better, while coping with the pace of the game, would help everyone.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6442156,00.html

Fulham could agree partnership

St Pauli hope to secure cooperation deal with Cottagers

By Thomas Zocher   

Last updated: 12th October 2010   

St Pauli interim chairman Stefan Orth hopes to secure a deal with Premier League outfit Fulham with regards to sharing players.

The Bundesliga club are keen to ensure they are offered first choice of players who have been made available for loan by Mark Hughes' Fulham.

Cottagers vice-chairman Michael Cole has therefore been invited to visit Germany as Orth wants to agree the deal.

He told BILD: "I have been on tour in England this spring. I was able to visit Arsenal and Fulham.

"At Fulham I was introduced to almost everything by their vice-chairman Michael Cole. We had a chat and understood that our clubs share common characteristics.

"I can imagine a co-operation set up between our two clubs. Fulham and our club have the same way to progress."

"Fulham have a strong and big squad. Maybe a player that is not in the first team at Fulham could gain a boost from a loan spell at our club."

Orth added: "I have invited him (Cole) to one of our next home fixtures. Then we will discuss a lot of things, among them a co-operation as well as regular friendlies."

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/10/the-world-continues-spinning/

The World Continues Spinning...

by gatesy on October 12, 2010

Now, if you solely trust Sky Sports News and many of the newspapers there is nothing else happening in the world of football at the moment, other than the circus happening at 'the peoples club' Liverpool. While International weeks are always a dire time consisting of very little football news and a few boring international games a couple or three things have happened.

A lot of our boys have been away with their national teams since we last played in the league. From my Norwegian spy I've been reliably informed that Brede was led by example in their 2-1 victory against Cyprus, leaving them top of their group with three wins from three.

Brede Hangeland heads his last-gasp Fulham equaliser

Norn Iron won a credible point by holding former world champions Italy to a scoreless draw at home. Aaron Hughes and Bairdy, along with former Whites Healy, Davies and Maik Taylor all participating in the game.

Hungary enjoyed a comfortable eight nil win at home against San Marino. Our lad Gera getting on the score sheet with a 94th minute penalty.

Over in Chicago Dempsey helped Team USA to a two all draw against Poland. Eddie Johnson failed to take the field and took up his usual role as a bench warmer.A nice touch before the game was bringing former Fulham captain Brian McBride out to a fantastic welcome to celebrate the striker before he retires at the end of the season.

Having taken charge at Leicester last weekend, Erikson is after making fellow Swede Erik Stoor his first signing at the not quite midlands, not southern club. Only having made a handful of appearances for us and not making the bench to regularly these days a loan move could initially be on the cards.

One Swede out another one in? There's a few stories floating around suggesting we've been anticipating Schwarzer moving on in January and are keeping tabs on Victor Noring. Currently part of the Swedish Under 21 side and thought of highly at his club side Trellenborgs FF and has an impressive record since making his first team debut at the age of 18. I suspect talk of us signing a keep would spur some papers into assuming Schwarzer is as good as gone, but come January the Asian Championships kick off leaving us without our first choice 'keeper for possibly up to five weeks. Considering this could be an important time of the season with the FA Cup kicking off too providing some back up is probably a wise move regardless of Schwarzer moving on or not.

Possibly the only person from the Liverpool area not talking about goings on at Anfield, and making it sound like the end of the world, has been our captain Danny Murphy. After pointing out, with good cause, that some of the swath of bad challenges that have swamped the top division so far this season could have something to do with the styles of play managers are adopting.

"You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more – the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves. They can say it's effective and they have got to win games but the fact is the managers are sending out their players so pumped up there is inevitably going to be problems. The pace in which some players go into tackles now is ridiculous. There's no brains involved in the players who are doing that."

The League Managers Association have not taken kindly though and issued a statement :

"It is inappropriate for individuals to direct criticism at certain managers who are honest, professional and continue to achieve success on the field with their clubs.

"The accomplishments of the managers mentioned should be applauded rather than publicly judged. Professional football managers certainly do not incite their players to go out and cause injury to fellow professionals."

The big loser in all this is us though. It has been decided by the club and player that Murphy won't be joining the hilarious Adrian Chiles, the beautiful shirt wearing Southgate and tactic truck-less Townsend on ITV tonight to summarise the England game.