watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Alfie Mawson

Started by Riversider, November 02, 2018, 12:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Can only imagine that on his first day at Motspur Park he parked in Jokanovic's space and refused to move his car,
Can't think of any other justifiable reason why Ream starts in front of him,
His refusal to use Mawson and insistence on using Ream and Odoi is going to cost him his job and is going to cost Fulham Football Club a place in the Premier League.

Chutney

Swansea used Mawson and went down.... not sure he's the saviour we're after.
C O Y W

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Chutney on November 02, 2018, 01:34:39 AM
Swansea used Mawson and went down.... not sure he's the saviour we're after.

Its possible to shine in a relegated side , he was amongst their best & most consistent performers. He was that "bad" he forced his way into England contention.
Another thing, Swansea didnt ship goals left right & centre like us too

snarks

I saw his game against Watford - not one of his better ones. I just think he wasn't properly fit. I think Slav is now making sure he is. Let's not forget Ream was player of the season last year, and is also recovering from injury. Maybe he's a step ahead in fitnesses

Bassey the warrior

I feel the same about MLM. He looks good at cb.

MJG

May simply not like him.
Just the views of a long term fan

Statto

Well the average player takes what, 4-6 weeks to get fit after the summer break. Mawson started in the cup about two months ago so if you treat that as his first pre-season friendly that might explain some of the delay .

It's a shame because IMO Le Marchand and Mawson could make a good CB pairing but I fear Jokanovic won't be brave enough to switch from Odoi and Ream whilst we're in this precarious position, purely because theyre what he's familiar with.

We're almost in a catch 22 situation because if we play well against Huddersfield with Odoi and Ream then Joka will stick stick with those two even though it seems patently obvious to me they well never be good enough at this level.

Spirit of 2000

My main gripe with Slav is not using Mawson  - he HAS to use Mawson given the alternatives and Mawson actually has premier league experience and was highly rated at Swansea to the point of being talked about in terms of international recognition. SJ  is shooting himself in the foot 100% with this one.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on November 02, 2018, 07:32:51 AM

We're almost in a catch 22 situation because if we play well against Huddersfield with Odoi and Ream then Joka will stick stick with those two even though it seems patently obvious to me they well never be good enough at this level.
Agree 100%
Just the views of a long term fan

colinwhite

I would like to see more of Mawson,but there is clearly a problem.Maynot be fully fit.

colinwhite

Quote from: Statto on November 02, 2018, 07:32:51 AM
Well the average player takes what, 4-6 weeks to get fit after the summer break. Mawson started in the cup about two months ago so if you treat that as his first pre-season friendly that might explain some of the delay .

It's a shame because IMO Le Marchand and Mawson could make a good CB pairing but I fear Jokanovic won't be brave enough to switch from Odoi and Ream whilst we're in this precarious position, purely because theyre what he's familiar with.

I agree with this Statto.  Odoi and ream are not premiership quality however we twist and turn it ,but we dont know if Mawson and LeMarchand are either or if they can play out the way he wants.

Bassey the warrior

If he's not fit don't play him, but if he's not fit he needs to ruddy train hard to get fit.

Milo

He was very poor against Watford.

If Jokanovic loses on Monday he could lose his job... so Ream is the risk averse option..

Wingnut

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on November 02, 2018, 06:20:10 AM
Its possible to shine in a relegated side , he was amongst their best & most consistent performers. He was that "bad" he forced his way into England contention.
Another thing, Swansea didnt ship goals left right & centre like us too

Correct, we were talking about this the other night. Roy Keane is a really good example. He played in a relegated Forest side under Clough. His move to Man United came about based on those performances.

Quote from: Milo on November 02, 2018, 09:01:47 AM
He was very poor against Watford.

If Jokanovic loses on Monday he could lose his job... so Ream is the risk averse option..

Ream was woeful against Cardiff.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Woolly Mammoth

Fortune favours the brave.
If I was In Joks shoes, I would probably walk with a limp, because I take a size 12 minimum.
But even with a limp, I would pick if their fit both Mawson and La Marchand as a centre back pairing for Huddersfield, as I feel Ream is struggling a little, as for Odoi, he may feel a little unlucky, but his passing last night, was not particularly good, especially when they are unforced errors.
Although he could revert to full back.
A lot may depend on if everyone came out unscathed after last night, and maybe Slavisa has his own cunning plan.
For me though, if my life depended on winning or not on Monday, I would certainly pick both Mawson and La Marchand as the Centre Back pairing.
But will Slavisa, maybe but probably not.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Riversider

In the last couple of pre match press conferences Jokanovic has clearly stated that everybody is fit barring Joe Bryan,
Which means that , either Jokanovic is a liar, or Jokanovic is choosing not to select him,
You decide.

As I keep saying, if we lose to Huddersfield and Jokanovic gets sacked, I bet the next manager attempts to build a defence around Mawson.

Matt10

In context though, we're about to play Huddersfield who have 4 goals to their name. Their forwards do not have any goals. If we concede any goals from defensive line error or positioning, the entire defense line will be looked at I imagine.

Regarding Mawson, he was poor against Watford. Really poor. However, I still like him, mainly because of how well he played against Brighton, which is a game I think a lot of people forget about. He was consistent in his passing, and paired up well with Odoi. Had good recovery tackles, with both feet, and what a lovely long ball he has on him.

I think it's important to use the good performances as more of a measuring stick when it comes to Mawson, mainly because we have not seen enough of him, and the most recent memory was him being subbed off at halftime against Watford. I've watched the Brighton match several times, and that was where I really did see his potential, with even more room to grow. I say give him a chance, and let the proving ground be against a team that can't score goals in Huddersfield. Other side of the coin though, is that nod for consistency in the defensive line we have been begging Joka for. So, I will not be upset if we line up the backline the same way we did against Bournemouth with Fosu, Odoi, Ream and LeMarchand.

Marinelloguthrie

As things stand at the moment i personally think it is sensible to look for a consistent unit rather than keep changing personnel.

He knows Odoi and Ream and trusts them and everyone from Donald Trump down is criticising him for changing players all the time so makes sense to me.

Once as a team we stop conceding so many he can then look at changing one at a time if indeed they are better players and will improve the defensive unit.

hovewhite

Think we need to start Huddersfield with a settled back 4 plus the same midfield.

Riversider

Quote from: hovewhite on November 02, 2018, 01:40:37 PM
Think we need to start Huddersfield with a settled back 4 plus the same midfield.

Ream and Odoi are taking us down, is that in dispute ?
Not only that but their partnership is taking us down with a Premier League record of goals conceded,
There is absolutely no justification in keeping them together, what did Ream do last night or last Saturday to warrant keeping his place ?
On Monday night Jokanovic must play his strongest back 4 otherwise this time next week we will all be discussing who his replacement is going to be.