watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jokanovic: Interview

Started by aster, November 04, 2018, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

I meant playing assets rather than financial.

These players agreed to come to Fulham, so they are buying into it, I suppose, but we all know that it  isn't always that easy to integrate players into a team, for various reason.

But at least Khan was prepared to spend big, and back the manager. What else could he do? the was little time to get a lot of players in- and we hardly looked able to put a team out on the pitch.

Holders

Quote from: Fulham1959 on November 04, 2018, 12:35:08 PM
Quote from: Berserker on November 04, 2018, 12:17:31 PM
I think that is a good word

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I like it, too !  I suppose in England we might say "football-wise" - in other words, when you are talking in a football sense.

It's the difference between a Romance and a Germanic language source. "Football-wise" might be a tad clumsy but it would be more English.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Twig

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 04, 2018, 11:27:18 AM
Quote from: alfie on November 04, 2018, 09:43:06 AM
I still don't get why if he does not like the recruiting policy he tolerates it, he can't keep going on about it. You either don't mention it or get on with it. If it is that bad that you have keep blaming this style of recruiting then get out of it. I am sure there would be a good few clubs that would have him.

Couldn't agree more. I notice when we did well and on a magnificent run it was all down to the Coach and not any of the players or the recruiting policy. When we do badly he likes to mention as often as possible that he isn't in charge of recruiting.

He was asked a direct question about the transfer window so it seems reasonable to give the information in that context.  He didn't just proactively throw it out there.

filham

Quote from: RaySmith on November 04, 2018, 02:02:07 PM
I meant playing assets rather than financial.

These players agreed to come to Fulham, so they are buying into it, I suppose, but we all know that it  isn't always that easy to integrate players into a team, for various reason.

But at least Khan was prepared to spend big, and back the manager. What else could he do? the was little time to get a lot of players in- and we hardly looked able to put a team out on the pitch.
We had from the play off final to August to bring in new players and had we been more thorough and bought in half the number at each having twice the quality we would be in a better position right now.

Baszab

Who the hell has been making decisions to buy £30 million players then who are untried in PL ?!!

toshes mate

Apart from the word footballistically, however it may be said or spelled, nothing much has been lost in the translation of this interesting piece.   It is good to see Jokanovic's observation about Mitrovic and 'professional' attitudes, and his wise observation that money (forget the amounts for a moment) only makes things happen when it is well spent.  He also declines to forensically examine the recruitment process since in either Serbian or English I don't think it would make comfortable reading for anyone.  Good to see Targett and Fredericks get a mention alongside the millions that were spent elsewhere.  He wants results as much or more than anyone else at this Club and, come what may, he'll get them, but perhaps, in the future, he'll get some better support from where it is needed most. 

In my honest opinion, and written to be read as a little tongue in cheek, it is good for the Jokanovic family that Slavisa isn't running the whole Club set up because there is only so much one good man can do and stay healthy.

Statto

Quote from: Twig on November 04, 2018, 06:11:12 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on November 04, 2018, 11:27:18 AM
Quote from: alfie on November 04, 2018, 09:43:06 AM
I still don't get why if he does not like the recruiting policy he tolerates it, he can't keep going on about it. You either don't mention it or get on with it. If it is that bad that you have keep blaming this style of recruiting then get out of it. I am sure there would be a good few clubs that would have him.

Couldn't agree more. I notice when we did well and on a magnificent run it was all down to the Coach and not any of the players or the recruiting policy. When we do badly he likes to mention as often as possible that he isn't in charge of recruiting.

He was asked a direct question about the transfer window so it seems reasonable to give the information in that context.  He didn't just proactively throw it out there.

+1
What is he supposed to do, lie and say he chose all the players?
He's hardly complaining, just reminding people of the setup which, as much as it may annoy some on here, means you cannot put 100% of the blame on Jokanovic.

David I

Isn't it about time some on this board read between the lines of the lip service fed to the FST?
Khan jnr is in charge of transfers. Don't blame Joka.
And it's not rocket science... Jozabed struggled because he couldn't speak English yet the recruitment team ignored this and signed keepers that....... Couldn't speak English.
Same with recovering from injury.. Mitroglu v Mawson.

The logic of some on here is that Joka was given modern day messi's so he should win everything yet he can't get them to win.

JS thought things would change when the club outed Kline.. nothing changed

Woolly Mammoth

Nothing will change until they replace the current incompetent recruitment and data unit, with something's that resembles how to deal with humans.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SWSixer

Just realised how much I want Slav to succeed.
Let's start tonight. Clean sheet and 3 points.

MJG

Back to the 'when we struggle it's not Joka's fault and when we do well it's all down to Joka's' when in truth it's a combination of both.

No matter what system in place nothing is perfect. Sanchez got all his players and as a manger was rubbish. Jol got all his players he wanted and look what happened. Let's get all British players with championship experience, that didn't go so well.

Let's never buy a foreign player who hasn't got experience over here.. Really?

Joka never had the final say whoever he's been. Who's to say he would do any different if he did.

And not every transfer works, it's been like that for ever. Realistically if you sign 12, then you would expect eight or nine to do a good job for you over the season. There is still time for that with many of these players.

We are doing bad and the manager defects attention to somewhere else. They all do, Joka has done it before. He knows the way we work, as much as I like him he just has to get in with it.
In the end he's coaching that team, you work with what you have. At the moment his coaching and certainly his in game management is not at a level I'd expect given the players we have. He needs to do a lot better.

Oh and Jozabed was one of his choices.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

TBH I think the attempt to compare managers is futile beyond belief.  Players and managers in the wrong place at the wrong time never work, and it is very often that simple, although it suits the football 'machine' to make it seem a lot more 'complicated'.   As we all see on here controversy generates column inches.

Long ago I mentioned on here how Jokanovic appeared to work hard on team partnerships, players naturally combining together and providing added strength and flexibility to their individual and collective football abilities.  We  saw how players like Aluko, Malone and Piazon had more time and space to show their natural gifts, and I would suggest much of Jokanovic's fooballing knowledge is knowing how to combine things together when players listen to and act on instructions in the situations the match tactics dictate.  Those instructions will apply differently when in possession as compared to out of possession and I would say our head coach and his assistants have eyes open for those players who combine well in both situations.   It follows our coaches may have an eye for players who they believe would work together within the Club's possession style and formations well whereas our recruitment team would find that impossible to resolve statistically.   My view remains that SJ is rather less involved in recruitment than some would wish us to believe.  I feel that is why SJ singles out Mitrovic in his piece as a time when his view was followed through by recruitment.  Was that the sole and isolated case?   We will never know for certain.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on November 05, 2018, 08:38:20 AM
TBH I think the attempt to compare managers is futile beyond belief.  Players and managers in the wrong place at the wrong time never work, and it is very often that simple, although it suits the football 'machine' to make it seem a lot more 'complicated'.   As we all see on here controversy generates column inches.

Long ago I mentioned on here how Jokanovic appeared to work hard on team partnerships, players naturally combining together and providing added strength and flexibility to their individual and collective football abilities.  We  saw how players like Aluko, Malone and Piazon had more time and space to show their natural gifts, and I would suggest much of Jokanovic's fooballing knowledge is knowing how to combine things together when players listen to and act on instructions in the situations the match tactics dictate.  Those instructions will apply differently when in possession as compared to out of possession and I would say our head coach and his assistants have eyes open for those players who combine well in both situations.   It follows our coaches may have an eye for players who they believe would work together within the Club's possession style and formations well whereas our recruitment team would find that impossible to resolve statistically.   My view remains that SJ is rather less involved in recruitment than some would wish us to believe.  I feel that is why SJ singles out Mitrovic in his piece as a time when his view was followed through by recruitment.  Was that the sole and isolated case?   We will never know for certain.
No surprise he mentions Mitrovic given who he was talking to, and its interesting hes probebrly one player who doesnt have a partnership with anyone.

..FOF..

The thing with Joka's job safety is that;

I'm not sure which other top tier coach would give up choice of players during the transfer season.

Moltobueno

Quote from: aster on November 04, 2018, 07:07:55 AM
Sess has 100 games played in the Championship. He is talented, and already next year, he could play for the top European or English team.

I hope we can't read anything out of this sentence

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on November 05, 2018, 08:48:18 AM
No surprise he mentions Mitrovic given who he was talking to, and its interesting hes probebrly one player who doesnt have a partnership with anyone.
For sure the partnerships have been somewhat difficult to spot this season, anywhere, but Mitrovic had his fair share of combination play with most of his team mates last season.  The understanding between him and Sess was almost psychic on occasions last term for example.   This season has simply demonstrated the time and effort required getting people to work together, as a functioning unit, and again that is highlighting the length of time taken to recruit players in the summer, rather than going for broke to retain players that were known to work.

There is an awful lot to think about in all the things Jokanovic does mention, especially those matters he leaves open for you to go away and chew over.   If he goes he goes, but the easier task IMHO would be to sort out recruitment strategy and policy at the Club to stop it often appearing to be less than professional.  The Club needs to nurture and look after what works while it works and only change things because you know you need to and are definitely getting something better.   

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on November 05, 2018, 09:54:51 AM
Quote from: MJG on November 05, 2018, 08:48:18 AM
For sure the partnerships have been somewhat difficult to spot this season, anywhere, but Mitrovic had his fair share of combination play with most of his team mates last season.  The understanding between him and Sess was almost psychic on occasions last term for example.   This season has simply demonstrated the time and effort required getting people to work together, as a functioning unit, and again that is highlighting the length of time taken to recruit players in the summer, rather than going for broke to retain players that were known to work.

There is an awful lot to think about in all the things Jokanovic does mention, especially those matters he leaves open for you to go away and chew over.   If he goes he goes, but the easier task IMHO would be to sort out recruitment strategy and policy at the Club to stop it often appearing to be less than professional.  The Club needs to nurture and look after what works while it works and only change things because you know you need to and are definitely getting something better.
As has been shown on other threads and at the time the players who have come in are fundemently on paper a good group. Yes the timing can be seen as an issue, but as has been broken down they should do ok.
When you look at partnerships as he says hes gone back to Ream and Odoi. Two players who should each other insuide out. trouble is they are getting turned insuide out every game.
he went for Kmac and Johansen as well and with Mitovic and Sess in their and Betts at the time you had lots of combinations that knew each other.

People can taklk about Fredericks we should have broke the bank for him. When in january when we were not in a position to commit to that kind of money. The speed of his signing once back from celebrating the playoff game showed its was done and dusted.

Targett, shall we dig out the comments that £15M plus was too much for him even though many of us rated him.

Slav doesnt get the last word or first word. We have know that (just as he has0 from day one. he puts in and says yes or no, but like any manager wants more, always wants more players. To then say he has too many comke in is taking the piss really.

Forget transfers, he needs to get a back four working as a group and two and a bit months dopwn the line none of us see that happening, and he has the players I dont doubt.

Statto

Quote from: MJG on November 05, 2018, 10:04:22 AM
To then say he has too many comke in is taking the piss really.

I don't see him taking the pi55, just stating facts briefly and simply.

I think it's a bit unfair to say you can't complain about signing too many players.

For example I was one saying we needed to end the summer with 20+ first team players. But for me that would have included Button, Kalas and probably Targett. Possibly even Norwood and Piazon could have done a job. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think any of those are top quality players but they're as useful as 3-5 of the weaker players we've brought in IMO and keeping them would have reduced the number of new faces by what, 30-40%. That has got to be significant.

Personally I'd also like to know more about the circumstances of half the coaching team (Gray, Escobar, Sambade Carreira) leaving as well because surely that has massively contributed to how unsettled the team appears at the moment. Could the club have done more to keep them?

MJG

Statto

Quote from: MJG on November 05, 2018, 10:46:44 AM
Quote from: Statto on November 05, 2018, 10:45:04 AM
Could the club have done more to keep them?
Or Joka even?

You mean regarding the contract extension discussions?
Indeed