Main Menu

LMA RESPONSE TO MEDIA COMMENTS DIRECTED AT MANAGERS

Started by WhiteJC, October 12, 2010, 01:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/news-6659.html
11 Oct 2010
LMA RESPONSE TO MEDIA COMMENTS DIRECTED AT MANAGERS

In response to the extensive coverage in all forms of the media on the much debated subject of unfair, aggressive and violent play, the LMA has issued the following statement.

It is important to note that the modern player is fitter, stronger and quicker than even his recent counterparts. In addition, the ball moves much faster than in the past which makes tackling increasingly more difficult. As a result, the impact of mistimed tackles is far greater than it ever was before.

With 20 or more cameras at every match (in the Barclays Premier League) the scrutiny and analysis, especially in slow motion, is now unremitting from both inside and outside the game. More than at any time in the past, defending requires thought, concentration, judgment, patience and perseverance. The game is more and more about pressing the ball, not being lured into early challenges and above all, staying on your feet.

When teams are working during the week the emphasis will be on areas including:
* intercepting wherever possible
* pressurizing the ball
* don't ball-watch
* be patient
* stay on your feet/going to ground is the last resort

All the statistics support these principles.

Football managers want to win matches.  Tackles of the sort currently being highlighted usually lead to yellow and red cards.  It is not often that you win matches with 9 or 10 players.

In the modern game, there are a lot of highly skilled and competent technicians, so it is vitally important that teams don't concede unnecessary free kicks, especially in their own half, which provide goal scoring opportunities to the opposition.

Taking into account the pace of the game, mistimed tackles by fractions of a second will happen and with that will be a potential risk of impact or injury but in no way does it follow that the actions are either deliberate or encouraged.

It is also important to note that managers in the Barclays Premier League have large support staffs which include highly qualified, competent, professional people. The focus for these professionals, when it comes to match preparation, is getting the players fully prepared and ready for play physically, mentally, emotionally and technically. They would not continue to support a manager who encouraged violent or reckless play in any direct or indirect way. What's more, disenchanted players, those not playing in the first team for example, would almost certainly leak to the public through current media channels such as blogs/twitter etc any suggestion that a manager was encouraging this type of play.

In closing, it is inappropriate for individuals to direct criticism at certain managers who are honest, professional and continue to achieve success on the field with their clubs. The accomplishments of the managers mentioned should be applauded rather than publicly judged. Professional football managers certainly do not incite their players to go out and cause injury to fellow professionals.  Two of the three clubs mentioned have yet to receive a red card in the Barclays Premier League this season.

The Equalizer

"Two of the three clubs mentioned have yet to receive a red card in the Barclays Premier League this season."

Which brings us on to the 'incompetent referee' debate...  :014:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

AlFayedsChequebook

Lighthouse

So Wolves were not told to target one player at Newcastle to try and have him sent off. It just happened. Wolves were not told to body check and stop Fulham players before they had a chance to pass.

At no time was a forward at Blackburn told to make sure the keeper was stopped from reaching the ball. It just happened.

At no time are players instructed to target opposition players to STOP them from playing.

The LMA response is as naive as it is embarrassing.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

pettyfog

Quote from: The Equalizer on October 12, 2010, 01:54:25 PM
"Two of the three clubs mentioned have yet to receive a red card in the Barclays Premier League this season."

Which brings us on to the 'incompetent referee' debate...  :014:
A BigSoccer blog on the subject:

The de Jongian Premier League?

Only an excerpt.. read it all.
QuoteOf course, cards don't tell the whole story, making the LMA's response a touch disingenuous in the first place. Nigel de Jong's triplet of vicious tackles on Stuart Holden  in March, Xabi Alonso  in July and Ben Arfa this month did not earn him a single straight red card.

Some are arguing that the uniquely frantic and physical pace of the Premier League amongst elite leagues, combined with the intensity and athletic strength of its players, results in an unusual number of aggressive tackles.

Danny Murphy  adds to this context the negative tactics of several managers in the Premier League, and meanwhile deflects criticism from the players actually making hideous challenges.

Emphasis mine
Others will argue that the fact de Jong got away with all three of those hideous challenges without a card puts the onus on refereeing, though only one of those games took place in the Premier League (albeit, the World Cup final was officiated by a Premier League referee).

RidgeRider

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 12, 2010, 02:02:13 PM
So Wolves were not told to target one player at Newcastle to try and have him sent off. It just happened. Wolves were not told to body check and stop Fulham players before they had a chance to pass.

At no time was a forward at Blackburn told to make sure the keeper was stopped from reaching the ball. It just happened.

At no time are players instructed to target opposition players to STOP them from playing.

The LMA response is as naive as it is embarrassing.

Agreed. I believe one of Danny's points were that the guy at Liverpool now would have never allowed plays like that to take place on his team which implies if the offending player made a negative tackle and was not disciplined by the ref, it would have been handled internally, by the manager.

AlFayedsChequebook

Question: If Managers do not instruct their team how to play, what do they do?

jarv

I am gobsmacked! Unbelievable response! It made me just as angry as watching Wolves tactics did.
Agree with Mr. Lighthouse. It is a VERY poor attempt at a spin on the subject. (maybe they should employ T. Blair).
I will read it again carefully before sending my email to LMA.

WhiteJC

Quote from: jarv on October 12, 2010, 03:24:32 PM
I am gobsmacked! Unbelievable response! It made me just as angry as watching Wolves tactics did.
Agree with Mr. Lighthouse. It is a VERY poor attempt at a spin on the subject. (maybe they should employ T. Blair).
I will read it again carefully before sending my email to LMA.

here's a copy of the email I've sent to Richard Bevan and Olaf Dixon...

Dear Sir

following your statement issued on 10th October about media comments directed at managers are you speaking on behalf of all premiership managers?

Do all managers condone the practice of stopping the opposition "playing", are Arsene Wenger, Roy Hodgson, Carlo Ancelotti, Roberto Di Matteo and Roberto Martinez in full agreement with your statement?

Surely your association would be better urging the match officials to ensure that the game is played fairly and therefor helping your members to keep their jobs.

From your statement you give the impression that you are in favour of winning by any means, surely that can't be correct, can it.

Why do say that premiership managers shouldn't be criticised, surely no one is above criticism and you stating that they shouldn't be criticised gives the impression of elitism.

Shouldn't your association look to promote the game and fair play? Whilst I understand that your association has little concern for either players or fans, there are other organisations who care for these groups, isn't it in "footballs" interest that the game is regarded in the highest terms.

I have a suggestion, to encourage managers to enforce the "good conduct" of their players how about deducting of points based on the number of yellow and red cards accrued?

If the LMA were to propose such a measure wouldn't that promote the LMA as an association that puts "fair play" at the top of its agenda?

I'll be interested in your thoughts

yours sincerely

John Cummins
Fulham supporter since 1966

jarv

RidgeRider

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on October 12, 2010, 03:13:47 PM
Question: If Managers do not instruct their team how to play, what do they do?

Exactly.

I also think Fog above makes a good point which is to say, where to the referee's weigh in on this and how much are they the problem by not giving Reds to some of these calls or not calling anything in some cases?

JBH

Here is my email to the Muppets at the LMA

Hi

Having read you response to the latest batch of comments about the state of tackling in the game there is one thing you seem to have over looked, below is a section of the statement:

In closing, it is inappropriate for individuals to direct criticism at certain managers who are honest, professional and continue to achieve success on the field with their clubs. The accomplishments of the managers mentioned should be applauded rather than publicly judged. Professional football managers certainly do not incite their players to go out and cause injury to fellow professionals.  Two of the three clubs mentioned have yet to receive a red card in the Barclays Premier League this season.

Why is it incorrect for individuals to make comments about certain managers when the members of your asscociation i.e the Managers make comments about individuals every week of the year, in this I mean their comments about Referees?

It smacks of double standards so perhaps you need to get your own act together before you start being high and mighty about the bad tackling debate (which approx 95% of people believe the comments made a certain Fulham captain last week were totally correct)

Yours

A fan who is fed up with your Trade Unions blinkered view.

Logicalman

HOLD ON !!!

Your all wasting your time replying to the LMA (doesn't that stand for Laughing My A...) because, looking at the structure of the LMA, checkout the first of the executive committee members ..  here

LordNelson

Yes, look at all the legs Aaron Hughes has broken in the past year--shocking.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

HammyH3

Quote from: Logicalman on October 13, 2010, 05:05:06 PM
HOLD ON !!!

Your all wasting your time replying to the LMA (doesn't that stand for Laughing My A...) because, looking at the structure of the LMA, checkout the first of the executive committee members ..  here
Allardyce, Sanchez, Bassett For F**** Sake

The Equalizer

Quote from: HammyH3 on October 13, 2010, 11:23:03 PM
HOLD ON !!!

Allardyce, Sanchez, Bassett For F**** Sake

You can count the braincells between them on the fingers of one finger!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

JBH

HOLD ON !!!

Having seen who they are I am about to resend my response only this time I have written it in CRAYON so they can have a chance of understanding it  :doh:

Vinnieffc

HOLD ON !!!

Gulp !!

Lighthouse

Not sure having a picture of Roy waving goodbye to his job at the top of the LMA page is really the sort of advert they should have.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope