News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Off to NYC next week - any good tips?

Started by Jimpav, November 09, 2018, 01:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

I need a break from the Jok in/out debate for today so thought I woudl tap up my fellow FoFfers for some travel advice.

I've been to NYC a few times but the last visit was years ago, so just wondered if anyone had any good tips regards to places to drink, eat, unusual sights.

Thanks!

KJS

Try and visit  PJ Clarkes, its a great bar/restaurant with real character  :beer:

Its address is: 915 Third Avenue, at 55th Street 

Marinelloguthrie

Purchase sight seeing tickets on line before u go.

U can do the bus tours (night one is excellent), trips to outlet shopping centres, empire state etc etc. About £60 for 4 choices i think..

elgreenio

Black Tap is you're a fan of a cake/milkshake mix [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
touch my camera through the fence

Southcoastffc

If you've not done Top of the Rock, do it this time. Most of all, visit the 9/11Museum.  A real must do.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Jonnoj

Quote from: Southcoastffc on November 09, 2018, 02:30:16 PM
If you've not done Top of the Rock, do it this time. Most of all, visit the 9/11Museum.  A real must do.
Agree with both of those TOTR is better and quicker then the Empire State for views.
My fave tip is go on the statten island ferry for a great view of manhattan, Statue of Liberty and Ellis island which it travels past, cheap as chips and fantastic views.

bobbo

Don't know what you're actually looking for but just for a bit of sightseeing grand central station is a bit breathtaking unlike anything here in UK
1975 just leaving home full of hope

St Eve

If you like steak go to Benjamin's on 41st and Park (near Grand Central)

spikey norman

Some great suggestions.
Doing the hop on hop off bus is a good way of seeing most sights in NY.
Haven't been to Benjamin's for steak but did go to Keans which was excellent and so much history.They have Lincolns original theatre programme when he was assassinated.
Greenwich Village is worth visiting too.

Aiten place

Just moved to NY from London, give peter luger steakhouse ago very popular among the Yankees

Wingnut

Rent a car and head to Amish country in Pennsylvania for a day.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

nose returns

If it is a nice day and you have time, visit the high line. It is an old derelict streetcar line converted into a park and has interesting stuff to see on your walk. Check it out.

Cambridge Pete

If you like Italian Food Carmines is great and the portions are large.

Woolly Mammoth

Best tip I can give you, is try and avoid Hillary Clinton.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Rambler

Madison square garden and go and watch NY Rangers ice hockey. Great fun.

If you have a sweet tooth martha's Country bakery in Williamsburg is incredible.

BedsFFC

Quote from: Jonnoj on November 09, 2018, 04:52:27 PM
Agree with both of those TOTR is better and quicker then the Empire State for views.
My fave tip is go on the statten island ferry for a great view of manhattan, Statue of Liberty and Ellis island which it travels past, cheap as chips and fantastic views.
But dont do the trip that lets you off at Ellis island to look at the statue. You get a far better look from the boat and you see it from diffrent sides on way back and frankly you dont need to be stuck on the island for 2 hours. And its more expensive

ScalleysDad

Quote from: BedsFFC on November 10, 2018, 10:11:48 AM
Quote from: Jonnoj on November 09, 2018, 04:52:27 PM
But dont do the trip that lets you off at Ellis island to look at the statue. You get a far better look from the boat and you see it from diffrent sides on way back and frankly you dont need to be stuck on the island for 2 hours. And its more expensive

And don't get off at Statten Island unless you need a bus. Not much to see other than a huge bus terminal. Head for the beach for a different perspective.

Mitch

Do the Empire State at night. No queue, and you see New York lit up - arguably a better view.

Visit the Meat packing district.

Plan where and when you're going to eat. Finding a decent restaurant on the fly anywhere in central NY is a nightmare if you've not booked in advance or if you don't want to eat microwaved crap from Applebee's.

Neutral Zone Ultra

If you want the authentic American diner experience I can't recommend EJ's Luncheonette on 3rd Avenue highly enough!

Neutral Zone Ultra

Highly recommend Top of the Rock  :plus one: