watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (18/11/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 18, 2018, 08:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

How many free season tickets Premier League clubs could hand out with Richard Scudamore's £5m bonus

Scudamore, the league's outgoing chief executive, is set to walk away with a £5million golden handshake

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League's outgoing cheif executive, will walk away with £5million (Image: Getty)

Richard Scudamore's £5million bonus would be enough to hand out over 11,000 free season tickets across the Premier League.

The outgoing Premier League chief executive is set to net the farewell money when he officially leaves in January, after 19 years in the job.

However, it is a move that has outraged fans.

Top-flight clubs had reportedly been asked to chip in £250,000 each in order to fund the golden handshake, though the league insists the £5million comes from a central pot.

Despite TV rights increasing many times over during the course of his tenure, match going fans have continually felt the squeeze with prices going ever upwards.

Had Premier League clubs donated the £250,000 in question to the fans instead, then they could have given out 11,662 season tickets between them.

How many season tickets each club could give away...

Arsenal - 280
    Bournemouth - 454
    Brighton - 467
    Burnley - 641
    Cardiff - 896
    Chelsea - 420
    Crystal Palace - 500
    Everton - 595
    Fulham - 716
    Huddersfield - 1,004
    Leicester- 684
    Liverpool - 364
    Man City - 806
    Man United - 469
    Newcastle - 629
    Southampton - 462
    Tottenham - 314
    Watford - 514
    West Ham - 865
    Wolves - 582

TOTAL - 11,662

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-many-free-season-tickets-13600399

WhiteJC

Southampton Injury News: Mario Lemina ruled out of Gabon fixture

Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina will play no part in Gabon's African Cup of Nations qualifier against Mali on Saturday because of an injury issue, which could potentially keep him on the sidelines for his club's crucial Premier League clash against Fulham at Craven Cottage next weekend.

What's the word, then?
Well, the 25-year-old travelled to his home country for the international break, but according to Gaboneco his international manager Daniel Cousin has ruled him out of the game after he suffered a muscle injury after training on Wednesday.

According to Gaboneco, the 41-year-old said:

"I honestly cannot count on players who are not 100%, it is difficult. I need those that are in good shape.

"I cannot trust him [Lemina], because Saturday's game will be physically demanding.

"So there is no question of taking risks, Mario is going to look after himself quietly. I do not know if he will attend the game for the spirit of the group or will he return to his club. The most important thing is that he takes care of himself."

The former Juventus man has once again been a regular starter in Southampton's midfield this season having played all but 24 minutes of their Premier League campaign, and he has formed a successful partnership with Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg with Oriol Romeu often having to settle for a spot on the substitutes' bench.

Could he miss the Fulham clash?
Essentially, we don't know the extent of the problem yet, but Hughes will hope that it isn't a recurrence of the thigh issue that meant that he was also doubtful for the clash against Watford at St Mary's last Saturday.

The Welshman will certainly be sweating on the 25-year-old's fitness given the quality that he has in his locker, and should he miss out then either Romeu or club captain Steven Davis – both of whom failed to make the 18-man squad against the Hornets – could be handed a rare reprieve with the latter in particular something of a forgotten man this term.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/southampton/injury-news-mario-lemina-return-date

WhiteJC

Fulham should pounce on forgotten Liverpool man to solve goalscoring problems

Fulham's season is somewhat up in the air at the moment with the Cottagers opting to replace Slavisa Jokanovic with Claudio Ranieri this past week.

In a surprising move really, the London club took the decision after a woeful run of form left them staring relegation directly in the face, and new man Ranieri will be hoping to make a big impression at Craven Cottage before it is too late.

To do so, and to improve things, there is every chance the club will need to delve into the transfer market once more, despite a summer which saw a host of new signings join the club.

One man we think would be a superb signing and is worth the risk, at least on loan, is Liverpool striker Divock Origi, who after spending last season in Wolfsburg, appears to have been forgotten somewhat this time around.

However, there is a quality player in there somewhere, and, still young enough to improve and get better, a loan move to Fulham might be just what he needs.

Cottagers star man Aleksandr Mitrovic needs some help up top, and adding the pace of someone like Origi could prove to be the perfect move.

Quick, a good finisher, and with a point to prove here in England, Origi could well be an ace up the sleeve of Fulham if they can indeed pull off his signing.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/fulham-should-pounce-on-forgotten-liverpool-man-to-solve-goalscoring-problems/

WhiteJC

Forget January, Ranieri must bring Robert Huth to Fulham right now

Robert Huth shone as Leicester City won the Premier League title under Ranieri in 2016 - and Fulham could do with the German's experience.

You don't need to be a UEFA licensed football tactician to know what Claudio Ranieri must do to save Fulham after taking over the Premier League's bottom club on Wednesday.

Only two teams in Premier League history have ever endured a worst start to a top flight season than The Cottagers, who are 20th in the table with just five points from 12 games. And with 31 goals conceded already, it is clear where the problems lie.

So it is no surprise that Ranieri is already hoping to bring in two new defenders in January, as reported by The Mirror. But maybe the veteran Italian doesn't have to wait that long. After all, his Leicester City title-winner Robert Huth is still a free agent.

The 34-year-old left The Foxes upon the expiry of his contract in July and, despite links with the likes of Aston Villa and Derby County (The Mirror, live blog, June 29), is still without a club.

But could he be a viable short-term addition for a Fulham side in desperate need of leadership and experience at the back?

Giant German Huth started 35 games as Leicester remarkably won the Premier League title in 2015/16, with The Foxes' success built upon a solid backline.

If Ranieri is to lead Fulham away from the relegation zone, reuniting with Huth could be a step in the right direction.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/11/16/do-weekend-forget-january-ranieri-must-bring-robert-huth-to-fulh/

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri did something brilliant to 'blow Fulham away' in his interview

Claudio Ranieri has taken on a serious challenge in dragging Fulham out of a relegation scrap this season.

The Cottagers are currently bottom of the Premier League table with only a single win and an atrocious goal difference of −20 after 12 fixtures.

Having lost a seventh match on the spin against Liverpool last Sunday, Fulham owner Shahid Khan elected to axe the man who guided them promotion from the Championship last term - Slavisa Jokanovic.

His departure made way for Thursday's surprise appointment of Ranieri, who inherits an underperforming squad that saw £100 million worth of signings added to it over the summer.

Speaking about the magnitude of the task at hand, the Italian expressed no doubt in his ability to steer Fulham back on course.

"After I arrived in Parma, at the end of the February 2007, it was the same,' he said, per the Mail.

"I called my friends and they said: 'You are mad to go there. Never. It's not possible to save this team.' And I saved the team.

"In my career, I also saved Cagliari. From Serie C to Serie A. People said Cagliari are out. I love this kind of battle. That's my kind of character.

"I came here because I believe. I'm mad but not stupid. I think I can do this. It's not easy. Nothing is easy but I believe."

But how does a manager instil confidence in a side that's lost nine games before the turn of the year?

Well, Ranieri has a clear strategy.

"I try to improve the fighting spirit of all my players," he added.

"The players must show me this — heart. Now we have our family on the pitch. They must think this, 'Our families are on the pitch and we have to save our family'.

"I will ask them how they want to save the family. It is clear. Very easy.

"Fulham concede a lot of goals and I'm an Italian manager. For us Italians it's important to maintain the clean sheet."

HOW RANIERI 'BLEW FULHAM AWAY'
The future of the west London club has the potential to be much brighter under Ranieri, particularly given how he conducted himself when interviewing for the position.

He identified where immediate improvements could be made and a club source told the Daily Mail: "Some of the others who were interviewed were unprepared but Ranieri was very impressive."

The report claims: "Claudio Ranieri blew Fulham away with a detailed dossier of the club's failing squad during his interview for the manager's job."

That just perfectly sums up the man affectionately referred to as the Tinkerman, doesn't it?

https://www.givemesport.com/1417694-claudio-ranieri-did-something-brilliant-to-blow-fulham-away-in-his-interview?autoplay=off

WhiteJC

Liverpool fans react as Matip linked with exit

Loads of Liverpool fans have been reacting to Friday's transfer news, as reports claim Joel Matip is a target for both Fenerbahce and Fulham.

According to reports in Turkey, Fenerbahce want to sign the towering defender in January, but will face competition from Claudio Ranieri's Fulham.

Ranieri has a reputation for building strong defensive units at struggling clubs, and the Cottagers currently have the worst defensive record in the league.

Matip joined the Reds for free in 2016, but has made just one Premier League start this season.

The ex-Cameroon international has been limited to late substitute appearances, so it would not be a surprise to see him move in search of regular playing time.

Of course, any cash made on the 27 year-old would be a profit, and plenty of fans have been giving their verdict on the interest in the defender.

Virgil van Dijk was talking up the possibility of signing Dutch wonderkid Matthijs de Ligt, so could we see a defensive overhaul at Anfield this January?

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-fans-react-as-matip-linked-with-exit

WhiteJC

Ranieri wants strike partner for Mitrovic

Claudio Ranieri has suggested he will play two up front at Fulham in a similar counter-attacking style to the one he enjoyed success with at Leicester.

After succeeding the sacked Slavisa Jokanovic, the Italian insists his priority is to sure up a defence that has been woeful so far this season.

But Ranieri also wants to find the right partner for striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, who played as a lone centre-forward under Jokanovic.

"For me Mitrovic is a fantastic striker," he said. "He needs some fantastic balls to score goals.

"I've watched him in the national team and he scores a lot of goals. For us he is very important.

"I have to choose the best mate for him, but not just him – everybody."

Ranieri took Leicester to the Premier League title with his counter-attacking style but was sacked nine months later with the team struggling against relegation.

And he admits he is already in a "battle" against time to do the same at Fulham.

He said: "I don't know how much time I need to improve the defence. It depends how long it takes them to understand my philosophy.

"We have to defend altogether and attack altogether. I have to work hard and I know I don't have time. It's a big battle.

"When changing the manager, you change the air in the dressing room. Maybe some players didn't play with the previous manager and with the new manager they give more, because maybe there is more feeling.

"I believe I have very good players but they must have to show me the fighting spirit."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/ranieri-wants-strike-partner-for-mitrovic-wls-and-to-recreate-counter-attacking-leicester-style

WhiteJC

Arsenal should offload exiled midfielder Mohamed Elneny to Fulham

Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny is looking for a way out of the Emirates this January, according to Sky Sports.

The Egyptian international has become an outcast in north London and Arsenal would do well to offload Elneny to Premier League strugglers Fulham.

Elneny has played a grand total of zero minutes in the league this season for the Gunners, with his measly four appearances coming in the Europa League and the League Cup.

Unai Emery appears to have made it clear that the midfielder is not in his first team plans going forward, and Elneny is reportedly eager to gain consistent playing time.

A move across the capital to SW6 would be a welcome switch for the 26-year-old, as Claudio Ranieri's side are in desperate need of midfield steel.

Fulham's tendency to leak goals for fun this season has been caused by the lack of quality holding midfielders at Craven Cottage.

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa has struggled to adapt to England and Kevin McDonald has appeared out of depths in the top flight.

Mohamed Elneny brings copious Premier League and Champions League experience to the table, and a move to Fulham would grant him precious first team minutes while bolstering the Whites' midfield.

https://tbrfootball.com/arsenal-should-offload-exiled-midfielder-mohamed-elneny-to-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham find themselves involved in legal action over summer transfer

Fulham signing Jean Michael Seri during the summer transfer was a real coup.

The midfielder had been one of the best players in Ligue 1 over a prolonged period and the year before he came very close to signing for Barcelona. The failed move to the Camp Nou wasn't simply a rumour, those involved in the negotiations spoke publicly about it.

Moving to the Cottagers wasn't what the player wanted, with those close to him dismissing the idea even a couple of days before it actually happened. Not only that, he went for much less than the €40m which had been his set price tag for some time.

Now Seri's lawyers are releasing a legal statement which details action against former club Nice. It's alleged the French side sold the midfielder below his market value, and received the rest by some other means, so Seri wouldn't receive as big a kickback as what he'd been due.

It's claimed that initially Fulham only wanted Seri, but then Nice pushed Maxime Le Marchand their way for a €2.9m loan fee and €13.5m for a full transfer.

According to figures published by French newspaper L'Equipe today, Fulham would have paid €11.2m for Seri and €16.4m for Le Marchand, which would be absurd given the differing levels of the players in France.

Nice have recently sent Seri his cut of the deal, and his lawyers say it shows Fulham paid less than €12m.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-find-involved-legal-action-summer-transfer/

WhiteJC

Defence key for Fulham revival, says Ranieri

Italian manager impressed by Cottagers' attack but is focusing on improving back four with PL's worst record

Claudio Ranieri says his focus is on improving Fulham's defence as he prepares for his first match as manager when Southampton visit next Saturday.

The Italian replaced Slavisa Jokanovic as manager on Wednesday and inherits a side who have conceded a league-high 31 goals this season.

But shoring up the defence is something Ranieri did to great effect in his previous PL role at Leicester City. His Foxes team kept 15 clean sheets, conceding only 36 times on the way to winning the 2015/16 Premier League title.

'Defend as an 11'
"As an Italian manager, the defensive way is the best method of the team," Ranieri told Fulham's official website. "It is important to have a strong vision of how to work defensively.

"It's not only the full-back, or the goalkeeper. When you attack, you attack as 11, when you defend, you defend as 11."

Ranieri has been encouraged by the football produced by Fulham this season, even if they are bottom of the table.

"There is plenty to work with here," he said. "I watched some games against Manchester City and Liverpool and the quality is high here."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/913743

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri will give fast food reward to Fulham players for every clean sheet

Claudio Ranieri has a big task ahead of him

Fulham became the first Premier League club to sack their manager this season, when they dismissed Slavisa Jokanovic on Wednesday and replaced him with former Leicester City boss Claudio Ranieri.

Ranieri guided Leicester to their first ever Premier League title in 2015/16 but now he faces the tough task of keeping Fulham in the top flight after a poor start to the season that saw them concede 31 goals in 12 matches.

During his spell at Nantes in Ligue 1, the Italian was able to solidify a leaky defence and that will be top of his priority list at Fulham.

In order to further incentivise keeping clean sheets, Ranieri will reward his players with meals from McDonald's burgers.

He introduced a similar policy at Leicester during their title winning campaign, when he allowed his squad to dine on post-match pizza if they kept a clean sheet.

The Italian evidently believes the morale boost that a McDonald's feast will have outweighs the negative effects it could have on the squad's fitness levels.

"Pizza is not enough now," Ranieri said at his unveiling on Friday. "I have to promise something more. It's better everybody to McDonald's. I look always forward. I'm an ambitious man. I believe I have good players."

"Now I have to choose players who show me fighting spirit. With quality, fighting spirit and unity, the players help each other."

Ranieri insisted the success with Leicester was a one-off.

"That was a bonus. A fairytale I forget," said Ranieri, who vowed not to look into the past. "Don't think about the miracle. This is a bad moment, because Fulham is at the bottom."

Fulham became the first newly promoted team to spend more than £100m in their first summer transfer window this year, signing some big name players including Jean-Michael Seri, Andre Schurrle and Luciano Vietto.

But the new signings have taken time to gel, a process which hasn't been helped by Jokanovic's decision to constantly change his defensive line from game to game.

Ranieri is hoping to improve the west London side's results through a combination of his coaching skills and offering fast food as a reward for good results. It worked last time, why not now?

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/claudio-ranieri-fast-food-reward-fulham-players-clean-sheet-208726

WhiteJC

press conference: The Written Word

Read what Claudio Ranieri had to say to the written section of the media in the second part of Friday's press conference.

You're thought of very fondly in England for what you did at Leicester. What was it about this new challenge that persuaded you to come back?

I feel good here in England. I think, I believe, that Fulham is a big club, an historical club. These things are important to me. I forgot Leicester, I forgot Chelsea, I forgot everything, not only in England but in my career. Now for me, it's a fantastic challenge. Difficult, very difficult, but I love this job.

Is it your hardest challenge?

I don't know. When I arrived in Parma at the end of the February it was the same. All my friends said, 'you are mad to go there, it's not possible to save this team.' And I saved the team. At Cagliari, we went [Serie] C, B, A. I love this kind of battle.

Did your friends tell you you're mad for coming to Fulham?

No, no, no. Everybody said, 'it's a good choice, a fantastic club, an historical club – come on, you can do it.' I hope.

Looking at the squad, do you think there is enough quality here to keep Fulham up?

Yes. I came here because I believe. I am mad, but not stupid! I believe I can do this. It's not easy, nothing is easy, but I believe.

What about the January transfer window?

I spoke with the Chairman about it, and he said to me, 'Claudio, if you need something, I am here.' But I said I want to see the players, because when you change the manager, the behaviour in the dressing room also changes. Some players maybe didn't play under the former manager, and with the new manager will give more, because maybe there is more feeling between the new manager and the player. I believe I have very good players, but now they have to show me the fighting spirit.

How much time do you need to organise the defence?

It depends how they understand my philosophy, because we have to defend all together, look to attack all together. I can't tell you, 'oh, in two weeks everything is done.' No. We have to work hard, but I know I don't have time. It's a big battle.

How do you get that fighting spirit?

I try to improve the fighting spirit of all my players. Maybe one answers very, very soon, and the others must understand better. My players have to show me this heart. We are a family on the pitch. Our family is on the pitch. They must think this. That is our family on the pitch, and we have to save our family. Show me how you want to save your family.

Can you ever win the Premier League again?

I don't know. Now, for me what's important is Southampton. Southampton. 40 points. It's very, very important.

Does Mitrović have the ability to play defensive football?

For me, Mitrović is a fantastic striker. Fantastic. He needs some good balls, and we have to give him balls so he can score the goals. I watched Mitrović with the national team, I watched Mitrović score a lot of goals, and for us he's very, very important. He's a fantastic player, and I'm waiting for very good things from him.

Will he play up front on his own, or as a two?

I have to choose now. I have to choose the best mate for him. But not only for him, for everybody. I have to choose the best XI.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/november/17/claudio-ranieri-written-press

WhiteJC

Crazy like a Fox? In last place, Fulham hire football's nicest manager

There's sound psychology behind the saying 'nice guys finish last'. Late in a gruelling season, tired squads invariably need a push to make it over the line. Nice guys don't like to push. To compound the problem, teams can take it the wrong way when they do. If you ask anyone, they'll tell you Claudio Ranieri is a nice guy.

How did a nice guy win the most improbable Premier League title of all? In part, it was so unexpected simply because Ranieri is more well-liked than respected. I could be wrong. Maybe after 16 stops [if you count Valencia twice] over 30 years in management without ever winning a top-flight campaign, the 65-year-old decided to push.

However, most opinions on that season argue none of the top six wanted the title as badly, a bit like the trophy was just lying in the street and the Foxes picked it up. That's taking it a bit too far. Ranieri had a very good roster. Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez were deadly on the counter. Shinji Okazaki and Leonardo Ulloa pitched in at important moments. Wes Morgan and Robert Huth were a solid veteran tandem in front of Kasper Schmeichel. They were well shielded by N'Golo Kante and Danny Drinkwater. Marc Albrighton was always scrapping. Demarai Gray, Andy King and Christian Fuchs were always ready whenever Ranieri called. The entire squad was in career form but, even while believing in themselves, they were as surprised as anyone that opportunity kept knocking on the door like the sweetest Jehovah's Witness you'll ever meet. Ranieri didn't have to push because none of the top clubs were either. He just needed to keep the mood positive.

That in itself isn't an easy thing. Nor would every manager recognise restraint as the correct option. It would be so easy to answer the urge to do more. Ranieri showed his class through calm, composure, and self-awareness.

Problems arose the following season. The boss knew rivals weren't going to be so accommodating a second time. Nor could the squad be allowed to believe they were better than they were. If you listened to Pep Guardiola immediately after Manchester City won their title, you know what I'm saying. In June, he spoke about being harder on his squad this term so that they wouldn't be complacent.

When you listen to Pep in pressers, he sounds like a nice guy, too. Only when you watch him swap a prolific Samuel Eto'o for Zlatan Ibrahimovic then freeze the Swede out of the Barcelona lineup, or listen to him screaming in a Bundesliga lineswoman's face over an offside call, or nod approvingly as he alternates between hugging Raheem Sterling for his excellent performance and trying to squeeze his brains out immediately after their victory in the Manchester Derby, refusing to let the winger off the hook for his showboating, you understand there's a ruthless, manipulative streak under the classy veneer. He's not a nice guy and he never finishes last.

Ranieri knew Leicester needed to be pushed early in their title defence. The players didn't understand. Rumours of a revolt leaked from the King Power clubhouse. Jamie Vardy and Kasper Schmeichel, team leaders, were allegedly behind the uprising. The squad stopped playing for the manager. Eventually, the board gave the players what they wanted, replacing Ranieri with squad favourite Craig Shakespeare. We know how that worked out. Claude Puel, another outsider albeit with a less tolerant approach, is now in charge.

Virtually everyone in the Premier League community criticised the Foxes and supported Ranieri. Guardiola, Antonio Conte and Jose Mourinho, not exactly the tea and cucumber sandwich crowd, were among the most vocal.

As he deserved, Ranieri landed on his feet, hired for the 2017/18 campaign by Ligue 1 side Nantes. The club is owned by Polish entrepreneur Waldemar Kita who ironically made his fortune in optics.

The Italian's positivity had an immediate effect. The Canaries remained in the hunt for European places, occupying 5th spot well into the season's second half. When it came time to push, however, Ranieri chose to do so in an unexpected direction. As the team began to fall down the table in spring, he criticised Kita for failing to fund reinforcements in the January window. Kita, in turn, raked his manager over the coals until Ranieri suggested the chairman sack him and be done with it. In the end, he finished out the campaign with the Canaries nested in ninth. On the penultimate weekend, Kita had the last word, announcing Ranieri would not return "by mutual consent". The Italian, ever the gentleman, had only positive things to say about his former employer. Even when pushed out the door, he's not one to push back.

Now 67, the Italian found no takers to begin the season but Fulham's desperate straits convinced owner Shad Khan to pick up the phone. When a manager fails, ownership often replaces him with a contrasting personality. Slavisa Jokanovic was set in his ways. Once he decides on a plan, he doesn't veer away from it. Bottom of the Premier League, his open, attacking style was backfiring. His squad scored 11 goals in 12 league games while conceding 31. Open didn't mean quite what the Serb intended. Ranieri, on the other hand, is known to tinker. When club play resumes after the break, expect to see changes in the Cottagers shape, tactics and starting XI.

Youngster Ryan Sessegnon may resume the more advanced role that paid dividends in the Championship but to which he was no longer entrusted in the top flight. Or Ranieri might apply other methods to create more chances for striker Aleksandar Mitrovic while simultaneously shoring up the back end. Unlike Jokanovic, he's an experienced tactician not set in his ways. If Leicester originally responded to his ministrations and Nantes, too, Fulham fans have every reason to expect a change in fortunes at Craven Cottage. They'll welcome the new man.

Why not? As the rest of the league already knows, he's a class act. Now, deservedly,  he has another chance to prove nice guys don't finish last.

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/claudio-ranieri-returns-premier-league-with-fulham

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic left red faced after embarrassing Panenka penalty goes over the bar... but should spot-kick have been awarded after Nemanja Matic kicked floor?

Aleksandar Mitrovic chipped penalty over the bar just six minutes after scoring
    Nemanja Matic appeared to kick the floor to win  the penalty in 38th minute
    Fulham striker had given Serbia a 2-0 lead over Montenegro before half-time
    Serbia can earn Nations League promotion to League B with victory

Aleksandar Mitrovic went from hero to zero in Serbia's clash with Montenegro after missing a penalty trying to score a Panenka style chip.

Mitrovic's gaffe came just six minutes after scoring his side's second goal in the pivotal Nations League clash.

The Fulham striker had doubled the home side's lead over their close rivals with a deft close range volley.

But he wasted the opportunity to put the game beyond Montenegro before half-time.

Serbia were awarded a highly controversial penalty, with Nemanja Matic seemingly kicking the ground to win a spot-kick in the 38th minute. The incident was reminiscent of the penalty Raheem Sterling won for Manchester City against Shakhtar Donetsk earlier this month.

But although Mitrovic left the keeper, who dived down low to his right, beaten his chipped penalty down the centre embarrassingly lopped over the crossbar.

The former Newcastle United star was involved in another highly controversial moment in the game between his goal and penalty howler.

Ready to attack a corner kick, he was punched on the back of the head by Marko Simic, who incredibly was only booked for the incident.

Serbia took a 2-0 lead into the break at the Rajko Mitic Stadium in Belgrade, with Adem Ljacic opening the scoring on the half-hour mark.

Despite a second half reply from Stefan Mugosa, Serbia held on to claim all three points in Belgrade, leaving them closing in on promotion to the Nations League second tier.

Serbia will be promoted later on Saturday if Romania, who have six points from four games, fail to beat visiting Lithuania in the 1945 GMT kick off. Lithuania have no points from four games and face almost certain relegation to League D.

Ljajic and Mitrovic, who also missed a penalty, put Serbia in the driving seat but they were forced to hang on after Stefan Mugosa pulled one back in the 70th minute.

The home side dominated the opening period and Ljajic fired them ahead in the 30th minute when he took a delightful Dusan Tadic through ball into his stride and beat goalkeeper Danijel Petkovic with a cool finish.

Mitrovic doubled the lead two minutes later with a superb header after twisting and turning in mid-air to meet a teasing Aleksandar Kolarov cross from the left. 

After his missed penalty, Mitrovic then shaved the far post and forced a good save from Petkovic with headers in the closing stages of the first period as Montenegro struggled to break out of their own half.

Mitrovic doubled Serbia's lead with a fine deft volley attacking a near post cross

Supporters look on as the Fulham strike celebrates his strike at the Rajko Mitic Stadium

Roared on by a small but noisy group of fans, Montenegro looked more purposeful after the break and striker Mogusa fired a thumping shot into the roof of the net from 10 metres.

Mirko Ivanic had Rajkovic at full stretch moments earlier and with their confidence restored, Montenegro came within inches of grabbing an equaliser barely a minute after they scored when Mugosa fired wide from 15 metres.

Predrag Rajkovic kept out two rasping long-range efforts as Serbia defended desperately in the last 15 minutes, triggering muted celebrations from the home crowd after the final whistle.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6400929/Aleksandar-Mitrovic-left-red-faced-missing-Panenka-penalty.html

WhiteJC

Serbia 2-1 Montenegro

Mitrovic has now scored five goals in his last three appearances for Serbia

Serbia are closing in on promotion to the Nations League second tier after a 2-1 home win over neighbours Montenegro extended their lead in Group 4C.

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic was both hero and near villain for the home side, scoring their second but then missing a penalty to make it 3-0.

Mitrovic headed in, two minutes after Adem Ljajic's 30th-minute opener, but chipped his spot-kick over the bar.

Stefan Mugosa pulled a goal back in the second half but Serbia held on.

Their place in League B will be confirmed if Romania fail to beat Lithuania on Saturday evening.

If they win the race for top spot goes down to the final round of fixtures, which sees Serbia host Lithuania and Romania travel to Montenegro on Tuesday 20 November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46249327

WhiteJC

Could Ryan Sessegnon be better used as a left winger this season?

Fulham Football Club is struggling with life in the Premier League at this present time. Their recent manager, Slavisa Jokanovic, was sacked and they lie last in the table with just one win to their name. Ryan Sessegnon is arguably their most important player, but we've scarcely heard his name mentioned this term. Let's take a look at why...

Still only 18, Sessegnon has potential aplenty. His performances in the Championship last season granted him as the PFA Young Player of the Year. He also won the coveted Championship Player of the Season award. Assisting Tom Cairney during the Championship play-off final against Aston Villa was a career-defining moment. It was the goal that took Fulham back to the big time.

The South-West Londoner managed to play 49 games last term. During that time 16 goals were scored with eight assists. The full-back/ winger even picked up four Man of the Match awards.

Sessegnon's progression could be compared to that of Gareth Bale. A young talent starting as a left-back but has the quality to become a great left-sided winger.

Since their promotion to the top English league, Fulham have only picked up five points, losing nine of their twelve games so far. They are also conceding well over two goals per match as the Cottagers' hopes at maintaining their Premier League status is already dwindling.

The chairman, Shahid Khan, wasn't shy in helping his club with available funds during the summer. Bringing in players such as Jean Michael Seri, Alfie Mawson, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Joe Bryan totalled up transfer spending around the £100million mark.

Andre Schurrle was also brought in on loan, which has hindered Sessegnon's progress. With the German's introduction, it means reverting to a former position at left-back. His best performances have actually been in his preferred position at left wing, in fact, that's where Sessegnon was playing when scored his first Premier League goal against Cardiff City. Unfortunately, Fulham lost that game 4-2...

Now with Slavisa Jokanovic departed, a new man enters the fray. Claudio Ranieri. Could the "Tinkerman" change things at Fulham? Will Sessegnon be used to his full potential? One thing is for sure that we know what Ranieri is capable of. He made Leicester City champions of England not too long ago...

Despite the poor start, the club will feel reinvigorated. Knowing that help is here, there is a positivity in the air. Future fixtures include Southampton, Chelsea, Leicester and Manchester United. There are some winnable games in there, but they have to get off on the right foot.

The aforementioned Schurrle currently has four goals and his contributions are reasons for Sessegnon's inconsistent push back to left-back. The millennial would hope to learn plenty from his new boss and exceed much further than he did last season, but that can't happen if Schurrle is shutting him out. The Englishman needs to force his way back into the team, which he tried doing when given an opportunity to play on the right-wing, but that didn't really work out at all...

Is the Premier League too much for the youngster or has he not had enough chances? From what we saw last season, he looked a promising player with bundles of ability. But now, playing at a club who are starting to struggle, chances to play are coming at a premium.

But whatever Ranieri does from now on, Sessegnon's season is in the balance. He will be aware of his versatility but also the ability to score and create chances. Especially with having somebody like Mitrovic leading the line. The Serbian has five goals this campaign and he certainly eases the pressure on the players around him.

Can things pick up at Fulham and will Ryan Sessegnon be used more as a left winger? Who knows, but it's worth another try...

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/could-ryan-sessegnon-be-better-used-as-a-left-winger-this-season

WhiteJC

Leeds United signing Fulham's midfield star would be a terrific move by Marcelo Bielsa

Why Leeds United should sign Stefan Johansen in January

After making a dream start to their Championship campaign, Leeds United have dropped off a level in the past month or so. They won four of their first five games of the season before taking 12 games to win four games again.

The Peacocks are still in a decent position in the table though, with 30 points from 17 games, just three points behind leaders Norwich City. Therefore, Marcelo Bielsa's men have time and 29 games to resurrect their form and qualify for the Premier League.

In football, the loss of form and momentum generally arrives when injury issues kick in. Same is the case with the Elland Road-based club. They had key players getting injured at crucial junctures, which proved to be a setback that was too big to cover in a short space of time.

Hence, it is imperative for them to be in the January market and sign some players. And getting Stefan Johansen from Fulham would be ideal. Here's why:

Johansen would provide midfield cover

If we look at the Leeds United squad, they have just one first-team defensive midfielder – Kalvin Phillips. The 22-year-old has featured in every league game so far, and it shouldn't be tough to realise that the Englishman won't be able to play all 46 games this season without fatigue or a dip in form.

Hence, the Peacocks should buy a player who can play as a defensive midfielder and also be an option for the central midfield positions. The Norwegian is predominantly a central midfielder but he is more than capable of playing as a defensive midfielder if the team needs him to.

Furthermore, his contract with Fulham expires at the end of this season. Hence, Leeds can get him January on a cut-price deal. The 27-year-old hasn't appeared much for the Cottagers this season and he should be aiming for regular first-team football elsewhere.

Johansen is an all-action midfielder, who can provide energy, zest and drive in the central areas of the pitch. Moreover, he has all the tools to fit into Marcelo Bielsa's playing system.

His experience of getting promoted to the Premier League last season would help the Peacocks in the second half of this campaign. Hence, they should make a move him during the winter transfer window.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/11/18/leeds-united-signing-fulhams-midfield-star-would-be-a-terrific-move-by-marcelo-bielsa/

WhiteJC

The Watford outcast who could get a career lifeline from Claudio Ranieri and Fulham

The striker has fallen out of favour at Vicarage Road and is likely to be available for a move in January.

His tenure at Craven Cottage may only be in its first few days, but Claudio Ranieri looks to be wasting no time in getting his squad into shape.

With Fulham bottom of the Premier League with just five points from 12 games, the onus is on the Italian to start turning defeats into victories to move them out of danger.

But while it's Fulham's defence which is identified as a key area for improvement, reports in Italy have suggested that Ranieri is looking at Watford's Stefano Okaka to bolster their attacking options.

While this reported interest is unconfirmed it does open the debate over Okaka's future at Vicarage Road.

The 29-year-old is way down the pecking order and is likely to be available for a move when the January transfer window opens - meaning that if Fulham were keen they would face little resistance to get their man.

(Image: Getty Images Europe)

Ranieri is familiar with Okaka's qualities after working with the striker during their time at Roma - a period where the Italian targetman was renowned as one of the hottest prospects in Italian football.

The striker has somewhat stumbled through his career after leaving the Serie A giants, meaning that any move for Okaka could be seen as something of a gamble due to his patchy form.

Okaka has been playing in the Premier League after moving to Watford in August 2016, but has never been able to impress.

Four goals in his debut season at Vicarage Road was an underwhelming peak for the Italian, who has struggled for both form and fitness since arriving at Vicarage Road.

He has been limited to just 38 minutes of senior action for the Hornets this term, and with his current status as Watford's fifth choice striker, it's presumed that Okaka would be allowed to leave if the right offer is received.

While questions will no doubt be asked over whether Okaka would bring enough to Fulham in terms of calibre or cultural fit, a lot of this would come down to Ranieri's faith in the striker.

If Craven Cottage doesn't transpire to be a realistic location for the striker, it's likely that Okaka may well be on the move anyway with his days as a Watford player seemingly numbered.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-claudio-ranieri-stefano-okaka-15429238

WhiteJC

Former Man United man Paul Ince blasts Fulham over 'disrespectful' Slavisa Jokanovic sacking

Pundit was not impressed with how the club announced the news this week

Paul Ince has slammed Fulham over their treatment of Slavisa Jokanovic.

Following a poor start to the season, Jokanovic was sacked this week, despite owner Shahid Khan saying the Serbian had the full backing of the board just under three weeks previously.

The Whites won just once under Jokanovic on their return to the Premier League, having spent more than £100million in the summer transfer window.

They slipped to the bottom of the table, but produced an improved performance, particularly in the first half, against Liverpool at Anfield last time out.

But with the international break in full swing now, Fulham owner Shahid Khan took the decision to replace Jokanovic after almost three years with the club, with Leicester City's title-winning manager Claudio Ranieri.

The decision came as something of a surprise, despite the club's form, and a tweet confirming the news was particularly strange, with the club confirming the appointment of Ranieri, before mentioning Jokanovic has left.

And Ince described that as "disrespectful".

Speaking on Football Focus today, the ex Manchester United man said: "I know you've got to plan when things aren't going right, but I thought to do it in one day was a bit of a lack of respect for Jovanovic.

"They could have waited, it's the international break, they had time to do what they wanted to do, but to do it that quickly smacks a bit of disrespect to me."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/former-man-united-man-paul-15429318

WhiteJC

'In my career, never I bring back my old players': New Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri dismisses prospect of raiding Leicester in January transfer window

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri isn't looking to sing players from Leicester
    Many members of Leicester's title-winning squad are still at the club
    Ranieri insists he wants to work with his current squad before looking at targets

New Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri has played down the prospect of raiding former club Leicester City for his out-of-favour Premier League title winners in January.

The Italian replaced sacked Slavisa Jokanovic this week with the huge task of producing another miracle to keep up a side bottom of the table with just five points from 12 games having already conceded 31 goals.

Ranieri urged his Fulham players to show 'fighting spirit' during his first press conference but admitted he has been given licence to bring in fresh players if he needs them in the transfer window.

New Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri has played down the prospect of raiding Leicester

There are plenty of players Ranieri knows well from Leicester who showed such spirit two years ago during the club's remarkable title win yet are struggling for game-time with the Foxes.

Wales international Andy King is not even in Leicester's 25-man Premier League squad while right-back Danny Simpson had been pushed to the fringes before a recent injury to Daniel Amartey.

Japan striker Shinji Okazaki has not started in the league this season and is out of contract in the summer while Danny Drinkwater cannot even find his way on to Chelsea's bench following his big-money move to Stamford Bridge.

Andy King is out of favour at Leicester but Ranieri isn't looking to sign any of his old players

'In my career, never I bring back my old players,' said Ranieri, when asked if he could reunite with his former Leicester players at Fulham.

'I don't know. Now, for me, I love my players. I haven't met all of them because of internationals but already I love them. And I want them to bring their best.

'After, if there is something that I can say to the chairman 'I need another player because I need this kind of player;' that is another thing. Now I need to work with those players.'

Former Fulham boss Jokanovic splashed more than £100million on signings in the summer yet Ranieri says that chairman Shahid Khan has told him that the purse strings will remain loose if needed in January with Ranieri having the final say on who comes in.

'I spoke with the chairman,' added Ranieri. 'There is some people working and they give me some players and I can take what I need. They show me the names but after I have to choose who is the right player for us.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6401727/New-Fulham-boss-Claudio-Ranieri-dismisses-prospect-raiding-Leicester-January-transfer-window.html