https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (23/11/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 23, 2018, 08:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Ranieri's task at struggling Fulham: Getting back to basics

Before burgers must come the basics.

The arrival of Claudio Ranieri as Fulham coach should ensure an end to the chaotic selections, loose defending and naive approach that marked the promoted team's turbulent first three months back in the Premier League under his predecessor Slavisa Jokanovic.

Soccer is a simple game to Ranieri, who values hard work, togetherness and typically a straightforward 4-4-2 formation more than anything else.

They were the enduring virtues of his Leicester team that pulled off the most improbable title triumph in English soccer history in 2015-16, so expect Fulham to show similar characteristics under the amiable Italian as he bids to steer his new side to safety.

Ranieri has taken over a team that is bottom with five points from 12 games and that has the worst defensive record of any professional side in English soccer — with an average of nearly 2.6 goals conceded per match. Jokanovic sent out Fulham to play in an expansive and open style that allowed them to be picked off with ease. He never fielded the same back four.

No wonder Ranieri said his priority was to sort out the defense and finally keep clean sheets, with the reward for the players a trip to fast-food chain McDonald's for burgers. Famously, pizzas were his gift to Leicester's squad for shutouts.

"Today I said this: Restart every time," Ranieri said Thursday. "We can win, lose, clean and restart tomorrow. Forget the past."

Compared with masterminding a title success for Leicester over the superpowers of the league, keeping Fulham up should be child's play for the 67-year-old Ranieri.

Fulham, after all, is only three points from safety. It has 26 games left to play. It has a squad containing more than 100 million pounds ($113m) worth of new talent bought in the offseason. In theory, there are at least three rival teams less equipped to stay up.

"This Fulham squad has exceptional talent that is contrary to its position in the table," Ranieri said.

He could hardly have a kinder first match either, a home game against a Southampton side that has failed to score in half of its league games and has only one victory.

Ranieri needs to settle on a goalkeeper — Jokanovic played three in 12 games — and a fixed back four. He also requires a central midfield combination that provides better protection for his defense and must get more out of 18-year-old Ryan Sessegnon, who was Fulham's standout in the second-tier Championship when playing on the left wing but has sometimes featured at left back this season.

In attack, can Aleksandar Mitrovic and Andre Schuerrle be Fulham's version of Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez, Leicester's attacking pair that excelled under Ranieri? The combinations have different profiles — where Vardy had sheer pace, Mitrovic has presence and strength; where Mahrez was all about touch and technique, Schuerrle has a lethal shot and an eye for goal — but their importance is similar.

Can the coach once nicknamed "The Tinkerman" when in charge of Chelsea provide some stability at Fulham?

"I am Tinkerman," he said, "but I tinker clever. It's important to maintain the same lineup for some matches but you never know. I want everybody available and then I can choose."

Ranieri must also instill a new mindset.

"I think now it is important to not think about miracles, but think about a lot of battles and be ready together," he said. "I repeat, together. The club, the players, the fans."

http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/ap-top-news/2018/11/22/ranieris-task-at-struggling-fulham-getting-back-to-basics

WhiteJC

Inside Track: Fulham

Ryan O'Donovan, Fulham reporter for Get West London, gives us an insight into Southampton's Premier League opponents this weekend...

With the arrival of Claudio Ranieri, what's the current mood like at Fulham?

It's certainly given the mood around Craven Cottage a boost. With seven defeats in a row, the squad felt very flat before the international break and that togetherness we saw last season had all but evaporated. But with the arrival of Claudio Ranieri, everyone has a clean slate and that's given the place some much needed positivity. There's also a sense of optimism now that Ranieri can get this team playing to their potential.

Is there a belief that Slavisa Jokanovic has laid the foundations for the Italian to oversee an upturn in fortunes?

Yes and no. Jokanovic had an amazing two and a bit years at Fulham and turned them from becoming a League One team into a Premier League side that played easy-on-the-eye football and what he did for the club can never be understated. However, this season he struggled to find his best team and most importantly, his best defence, and the style of play just didn't seem to work and it looked like he had perhaps ran out of ideas.

I think if Ranieri turns the fortunes around it will be his own doing - there seemed to be no real system for the first part of the season and it will be up to Ranieri to develop one and get Fulham keeping clean sheets and playing again.

Are you expecting many changes in terms of the style of play and formation following his arrival?

I'm expecting a lot of changes. Under Jokanovic in the Championship, Fulham played stunning football and it was some of the best I've ever seen a team play, but it didn't transfer into the Premier League and it just didn't work.

With Ranieri, he has said that first and foremost he needs the side to defend, so I'm expecting a far more defensive set-up under the Italian than we've seen in recent years in west London.

He wants everyone to defend, starting from Aleksandar Mitrovic up front right back through to his goalkeeper, so I'm expecting a lot of men behind the ball and then, when the side do attack, I expected them to use the wings and get balls into the box.  Jokanovic played a lot of different formations this season after his 4-3-3 in the Championship, but under Ranieri I reckon we'll see a standard 4-4-2 with an emphasis on defence.

It'll take some getting used to!

Who will the key men be for Fulham this weekend?

Tom Cairney will be key for Fulham - when he plays everything goes through him and he seems to make the side tick. He's been injured for a lot of the season and hasn't really performed in recent weeks since coming back, but when he's at the top of his game he's a very good player indeed.

I have to mention Aleksandar Mitrovic too. He started the season on fire and got five goals but hasn't scored since September, mainly because Fulham struggled to get any type of ball to their striker.

Under Ranieri, I reckon we'll see lots of crosses into Mitrovic so he'll be getting that service that has been missing in recent months, and when Mitrovic gets service we all know how dangerous he can be.

What sort of game are you expecting?

I think we'll get a cagey, defensive game in all honesty. Ranieri won't want to lose his first game in charge and will want a clean sheet at all costs, while Southampton certainly won't want to come away from the Cottage with a defeat.

The game in the FA Cup last year wasn't a memorable one and I reckon this will be very similar - I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 0-0 or a 1-1 draw here.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-11-22/inside-track-fulham-southampton-premier-league-1819

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri can't rely on Leicester blueprint to drag Fulham clear of relegation trouble

After the miracle of Leicester City reviving a talented but struggling Fulham squad ought to be a breeze for Claudio Ranieri but even on his 18th job the Italian is facing a new challenge.

Ranieri need only give the most cursory of glances to the table to understand his most important task at Craven Cottage: fix a defence that is on course to be the worst a 20-team Premier League has ever seen.

Though these projections are inevitably complicated by the fixture list Fulham's current record of 31 goals conceded in 12 games threatens to obliterate the tally of arguably the worst team in Premier League history. The Derby County side of 2007-08 conceded 89. At their current rate the Cottagers are on course to let in 98.

Hammerings at the hands of Arsenal and Manchester City have made those numbers look worse but when Cardiff are running in four against you and sides you aspire to compete with – Everton, Bournemouth – are netting three without reply there is a clear issue.

Injuries and indecision scarcely aided Fulham's troubles and 12 games into the season Slavisa Jokanovic did not manage to name an unchanged defence.

Ranieri certainly acknowledges the importance of fixing that ailing rearguard.

"Fulham conceded a lot of goals. I am an Italian manager, and for us Italians, it's important to maintain the clean sheet.

"When you play the defensive way, from the strikers, it's important everyone is involved.

"Now I have to choose players who show me fighting spirit. With quality, fighting spirit and unity, the players help each other."

At least Jokanovic's successor has previous – the promise of pizza taking Leicester from 55 goals conceded in the 2014-15 campaign to a title-winning 36 12 months later.

Riyad Mahrez and Jamie Vardy took home individual honours at the end of the season but the final weeks of that remarkable title win were built on the backs of Wes Morgan, Robert Huth and a string of 1-0 wins that pushed them to glory.

Fulham fans would delight in seeing even a solitary 1-0 win over the coming weeks but Ranieri's past methods of shoring up a defence, both at Leicester and Nantes, look ill-suited to the players he finds at Craven Cottage, a squad whose most effective means of keeping the ball out of the net is through keeping it in their possession.

For Ranieri success has come through other methods. The average possession of his Leicester side during his one full season in charge – that season – was 42.5 per cent. Discount matches played against teams managed by Tony Pulis and you can take a further percentage point off that. On only five occasions did they have more of the ball than their opponents: West Brom, Bournemouth, Norwich and Sunderland.

The Fulham side he inherits are built in a thoroughly modern fashion and are used to monopolising the ball. On their way out of the Championship last season they averaged 57.6 per cent possession, even this term they have 50.9 per cent of it. It is a squad designed to dictate terms, its anchormen deep-lying conductors in Kevin McDonald and Jean-Michael Seri who do not even approximate the energy of N'Golo Kante.

Ranieri talks of a desire for his side to "play like pirates" but Aleksandar Mitrovic hardly offers the same buccaneering presence as Jamie Vardy whilst defenders such as Alfie Mawson, Tim Ream and Calum Chambers are more cerebral than ruffian.

The Italian says he will be given money in January to shape the squad more to his liking but £100m of summer investment cannot be easily cast off even if spending around £25m on Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa looked questionable from day one.

Ranieri will have to work with what director of football Tony Khan had provided for his predecessor: a squad that could scarcely be further from that which he had in his last spell in English football.

Owner Shahid Khan may be convinced that Ranieri is a "risk-free" appointment but if the 67-year-old is to pull Fulham clear of the drop zone he will need to show that he is still learning new tricks in the fourth decade of his managerial career.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/claudio-ranieri-can-t-rely-on-leicester-blueprint-to-drag-fulham-clear-of-relegation-trouble-a3996786.html

WhiteJC

How will Claudio Ranieri line up in his first Fulham game? Team news and expected XI vs Southampton

Fulham news includes a look at team news and how the new manager might line his side up in his first game in charge

Claudio Ranieri finally has all his squad back at Motspur Park after the international break, meaning he can see what each of the side has to offer for the first time.

The new Fulham boss has only had part of his team to work with since being named as the new manager last week with several of his side away on international duty.

That included Aleksandar Mitrovic, who was in good goal scoring form for Serbia, Jean-Michael Seri and Ryan Sessegnon, all three of whom you feel will be important players under Ranieri.

Fortunately for Ranieri, most of his players have returned to Motspur Park injury-free after their exploits with their countries and the Italian should have a near-fully fit squad to pick from for the visit of Southampton.

Joe Bryan returned to training last week and came through 45 minutes of a behind-closed-doors friendly with QPR - his first action since suffering a hamstring injury in the 3-0 defeat at Everton back in September.

Kevin McDonald is still out with a muscle injury and didn't travel with the Scotland squad for their international fixtures, but as yet there is no date set for the Scot's return to football.

The big question that hangs over the fixture with Southampton is how Ranieri will set his side up.

Under former boss Slavisa Jokanovic, we saw a number of different formations as he struggled to fit players into positions and find out what worked best, but Ranieri has already stated he will be concentrating on defence.

In the game against QPR last week, Ranieri employed a 4-4-2 and I think that's the likely formation we will see from Fulham on Saturday.

Jokanovic played it once this season and it seemed to suit the team somewhat and eliminated the space that caused them problems, but with Ranieri there will be a clear emphasis on getting men behind the ball.

He spoke about using Mitrovic and getting crosses into him so I think we'll see two out and out wingers who will provide that width for Fulham, as opposed to wing backs which is what we saw a lot of from Jokanovic's side.

He also spoke about having a partner for Mitrovic, with Luciano Vietto being used there in the friendly with QPR, so we may even see a little and large partnership up top from Ranieri.

What we do know is that the defensive aspects of this side will be key, so I'm expecting to see a lot of organisation off the ball and perhaps no where near as much possession as we've seen the side have in the past.

A decision will need to be made on whether Ranieri has seen enough of those that have only just returned from international duty to put them straight into his side, or whether he will go for the vast majority that remained at Hotspur.

Fulham predicted XI: Sergio Rico, Le Marchand, Chambers, Mawson, Christie; Schurrle, Cairney, Seri, Ayite; Mitrovic and Vietto

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/how-claudio-ranieri-line-up-15448579

WhiteJC

West Ham and Fulham looking at January transfer, would have 'no problems' meeting salary

The arrival of Matteo Politano at Inter Milan on loan has seen Antonio Candreva's playing time limited as he has 350 minutes in all competitions across 10 appearances this season.

According to Calciomercato.it, the lack of opportunities at the San Siro means the possibility of 31-year-old leaving the Nerazzurri in January has only increased.

It's claimed the winger has a market in England, courtesy of the work done by his agent, Federico Pastorello, as West Ham United and Fulham are the two clubs mentioned in the Italian website's report.

Manuel Pellegrini will be without the services of Andriy Yarmolenko for most of the season following his long-term injury.

The Cottagers, on the other hand, have appointed Claudio Ranieri as their new manager and he is looking for reinforcements in the mid-season transfer window to avoid relegation.

Candreva has expressed his unhappiness with the limited role at Inter and Calciomercato.it claims the two English clubs will have 'no problems' meeting the player's salary demands.

There is no mention of a transfer fee or if either of West Ham or Fulham have held talks with Inter about the sideman.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-fulham-interested-signing-unhappy-player-transfer-possible-january/

WhiteJC

Newcastle United (A) Tickets

Tickets for Fulham's match away to Newcastle United are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members.

The Whites head to St James' Park on Saturday 22nd December (kick-off 3pm).

On sale dates are staggered via Loyalty Points, culminating with all Season Ticket Holders and Members being able to purchase tickets to both fixtures - subject to availability - from Monday 3rd December.

On Sale Date    On Sale Group
10am, Thursday 22nd November    Season Ticket Holders & Members with 700+points (2 per person)
10am, Friday 23rd November    Season Ticket Holders & Members with 600+points (2 per person)
10am, Monday 26th November    Season Ticket Holders & Members with 500+points (2 per person)
10am, Tuesday 27th November    Season Ticket Holders & Members with 400+points (2 per person)
10am, Wednesday 28th November    Season Ticket Holders & Members with 300+points (2 per person)
10am, Thursday 29th November    Season Ticket Holders & Members with 200+points (2 per person)
10am, Friday 30th November    Season Ticket Holders & Members with 100+points (2 per person)
10am, Monday 3rd December    All Season Ticket Holders & Members (2 per person)
10am, Tuesday 4th December    All Season Ticket Holders & Members (4 per person)

Tickets are priced at £30 for adults, £22 for over 65s & full time students and just £16 for Under 18s. Disabled supporters can also secure their tickets for 50% off.

Fans can purchase tickets online, by telephone on 0203 871 0810 (opt 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/november/22/newcastle-united-tickets

WhiteJC

Fulham break the ice on managerial sackings - and now the heat is on for Mark Hughes

Claudio Ranieri takes charge of the Cottagers for the first time against Premier League strugglers Southampton on Saturday

It used to be a standing joke that Alan Curbishley would always crop up among the bookies' favourites whenever a Premier League job became available.

Former West Ham and Charlton boss Curbishley was always in the top three contenders but inexplicably slowly slipped off the radar despite always being a rock solid boss.

Nowadays, for Curbishley read Alan Pardew who, despite what happened at West Brom, was right at the top of the odds when Slavisa Jokanovic was under threat at Fulham.

It is rare the bookies get it wrong but no-one saw Claudio Ranieri coming, least of all Pardew who never got a look-in at Craven Cottage.

Slavisa Jokanovic was sacked six months after leading Fulham to promotion (Image: AFP/Getty)

But one thing the bookies' odds do guarantee is that we all start talking about the runners and riders for the next job vacancy. It probably puts pressure on the present incumbent.

Sure enough, it looks like Mark Hughes is next in the firing line at Southampton, although I've always been convinced that the Welshman is a thoroughbred manager.

Hughes may not be everyone's cup of tea because he can come across as quite dour but surely deserves a bit more time, having kept Southampton up from a seemingly impossible position last season.

However, after already beginning the sacking season after the departure of Jokanovic from Fulham, the reality is that a new face can bring around a change in fortunes.

Carlos Carvalhal did it last season with Swansea and there is a certain irony that the Portuguese is currently being linked with the Reading job if they fire under-pressure Paul Clement.

Carvalhal replaced Clement at Swansea last season and immediately oversaw an upturn in results even if they fell just short of survival.

But the results and statistics show that if they had appointed Carvalhal earlier then Swansea would have stayed up.

Carvalhal inherited a side in freefall and marooned to the foot of the table, after they had collected just 13 points from 20 games under Paul Clement, a return which left them five points adrift of safety.

Despite Swansea's relegation, Carvalhal gave them a big lift and guided the team to a 20-point haul during his 18 games in charge. That is mid-table form. They enjoyed big wins over Arsenal and Liverpool.

Former Sheffield Wednesday boss Carvalhal's win rate at Swansea across all competitions was 32%, which compares favourably to the rates recorded by David Moyes (29.03%) and Alan Pardew (14.3%).

Moyes and Pardew are two managers who were involved in the relegation battle last term with West Ham and West Brom respectively and are currently out of work and available.

They have now become the familiar names linked when jobs come up.

Moyes will surely get another chance soon if he wants it as he did a good job at West Ham.

But there was a sense of surprise when Carvalhal got the job at Swansea but his style and manner showed that sometimes the obvious names are not always the best solution.

Carvalhal is a different character to Clement, he has got a quip or sound bite for every occasion and sometimes that change of voice can be the key to turning things around.

But the familiar names on the managerial carousel are going round again but recent history proves that clubs need to think outside of the box and also it is dangerous to leave it too late to make a change.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-break-ice-managerial-sackings-13627027

WhiteJC

What will Claudio Ranieri do to fix Fulham?

Can Claudio Ranieri replicate his Leicester miracle at Fulham? Credit: AFP

Claudio Ranieri's appointment as Slavisa Jokanovic's replacement is an exciting one because, as we all know, it means that Fulham are going to win the Premier League against all the odds.

The master tactician, the magical magician, the man behind one of the most improbable sporting achievements ever is in town, and he needs to immediately halt Fulham's rapid descent towards the Championship.

There are many massive differences between the squad Ranieri inherited then and the one he has now, so what will he do to secure survival? What can he do? How is he likely to do it?

Fix the defence and decide on shape
First things first: Fulham let in a lot of goals, Ranieri's teams don't. Jokanovic didn't settle on a back four (or three) all season long, changing the lineup almost every single week and Ranieri's immediate focus must be on addressing this.

Jokanovic used five different centre-back pairings (and one back three!) in only 12 Premier League games. One of Ranieri's immediate decisions at Leicester was to replace Jeffrey Schlupp and Ritchie De Laet with Christian Fuchs and Danny Simpson at full-back, creating a more reliable back four less prone to conceding possession easily, giving a bit of safety-net to players like Riyad Mahrez to experiment further forward without fear of repercussion on the counter-attack.

Defending starts higher up the pitch for Ranieri anyway. He was responsible for the signings of Emmanuel Petit, William Gallas and Claude Makelele at Chelsea and realised immediately that N'Golo Kante was some sort of non-stop midfield freak at Leicester - perhaps there's an undiscovered gem in the Fulham squad who just hasn't been unearthed yet. There probably isn't.

Fulham don't have anyone like Kante - only Chelsea do - who was able to do the job of two players for Ranieri, allowing him to play a midfield two rather than a three. For that reason, and based on Ranieri's past teams, a 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 is a possible option. A highly drilled 4-4-2 is the most likely.

Choice of strategy
Ranieri spoke of his desire to combine Italian and English tactics when he took over at Leicester, solidifying the back line and having his team drop into an impenetrable block in defensive phases, attacking with pace, power and determination.

Ranieri's teams transition quickly from defence to attack with his players asked to take fewer touches of the ball, and so if the starting point is preventing Fulham conceding goals every few minutes, his second will be changing the style from Jokanovic's possession-based one to a counter-attack system.

Jokanovic has (admirably) tried to keep control of possession and play attractive football this season - only Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City have made more passes (5797) or have a better pass accuracy than 80.7 per cent - but the side aren't taking chances, are too vulnerable at the back and simply doesn't look balanced. Against teams with far better players, this style has not been successful.

Fulham have an average of 50.1 per cent possession so far, making 15.4 tackles per game and 10.8 interceptions per game. Compare that to Ranieri's 2015/16 Leicester team, which sat happy with 44.7 per cent possession and made 22.9 tackles per game and 21.6 interceptions per game. In the Premier League winning miracle season, Leicester's pass accuracy was just 70.5 - Fulham are about to be shaken up and might be all the more ruthless for it.

Jean Michael Seri is very good
Jokanovic has been criticised, as every manager is, for spending heaps of money and not getting results. There are few examples of managers successfully navigating this particularly tricky sea, gelling a bunch of expensively signed players together and having them face in the same direction in only a few months and perhaps he can grant some leeway.

Of those signings, Jean Michael Seri has been outstanding and is Fulham's most prolific creator of chances (27), with the player closest to him - Luciano Vietto - on 14. Only five players have created more in the entire Premier League and none of those play for a team anchored to the bottom of the table.

Seri isn't just an attacking force though and has made the joint-most recoveries for Fulham this season (66), the second highest number of tackles (20) and fourth most interceptions (13). Ranieri has tended to appoint one key player as his playmaker - Rui Costa at Fiorentina, Joe Cole at Chelsea etc - might Seri be the Riyad Mahrez of Fulham's (hopeful) resurgence?

Probably not. Mahrez was the best player in the league that year after Kante, scoring 17 goals and providing 11 assists... but at least Ranieri knows he has a top talent who can make the difference.

Where Ryan Sessegnon fits in
After a brilliant season in the Championship, England's latest young superstar Sessegnon hasn't quite found his feet since making the step up to the big leagues to the disappointment of those who had heard this was the next Gareth Bale. Like Bale, Sessegnon is quick and can play at left-back but the similarities end there.

Sessegnon scores the majority of his goals floating inside the pitch from a left wing position, arriving in the box at the right time to finish off chances like a poacher would. Fulham's xG is 11.68 this season - the fourth worst - and these opportunities have not really been created, so instead of racking up the goals, Sessegnon has been asked to do an awful lot on the left wing against some highly experienced, organised defences.

Aleksandar Mitrovic will score if given the chance (five goals in the league so far) and Andre Schurrle has four goals too already. There are goalscorers in the team - the key is creating more chances while stopping others from scoring against them. Sounds obvious really.

Ranieri is highly tactically flexible and often changes systems during a game. Ex-players speak glowingly of his man-management and warmth but point out there is a strict, darker side to him too. Nobody will expect a Leicester-style surge up the league but expectations will still need curbed.

That Leicester league-winning side so famous for its explosive counter-attacking style, only actually scored five counter-attack goals in 2015/16. The majority of their goals came from set pieces - 11 in total - while the jaw-dropping number of penalties they scored - 10 - is something you can't rely on. Without the pace of Jamie Vardy, the talent of Kante nor the proper balance that Ranieri inherited and installed, it won't be easy.

Southampton is a winnable game and one Fulham simply have to make the most of if they are to arrest the decline and build any sort of momentum. Victory could be crucial to the players buying into Ranieri's way of thinking too.

As for miracles... Fulham are currently 5000/1 to win the league. But there's just no way...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/22/will-claudio-ranieri-do-fix-fulham/

WhiteJC

'It leaves a bitter taste in the mouth' - Neil Warnock has his say on Slavisa Jokanovic's sacking

The Cardiff City boss shared a close bond with Slavisa Jokanovic and has expressed his disappointment at his sacking

Neil Warnock has expressed his disappointment about Slavisa Jokanovic's sacking at Fulham - stating it leaves a bitter taste in his mouth.

The Cardiff City manager and the former head coach at Craven Cottage had a close relationship despite the rivalry the two clubs shared last season as they vied for an automatic promotion spot in the Championship.

Before the 4-2 defeat in October, Jokanovic described Warnock as a 'great man' and after Fulham decided to sack Jokanovic with his side only winning once this season, it's left a bitter taste in the Cardiff man's mouth but admits that's the way football is.

"I was disappointed in Slavisa leaving his job, but it's football isn't it," said Warnock.

"It does leave a bitter taste in my mouth when a manager gets appointed five minutes after you've sacked somebody - and talks about how they've been talking with the club for a few days

"But that's football, it's a horrible industry really, we all know we're going to get the sack at some stage!

"It's the one part of football that I detest.

"I don't think the LMA (League Managers' Association) have got any input, I think owners do what they want.

"We know that's the industry. All the managers down bottom end know that could happen. Vincent tells me how many agents and managers are ringing him up telling him to sack me and bring in this manager and that manager.

"And when I do eventually leave, it'll be interesting to see how the club moves forward.

"Owners have a lot of difficulty because they got a lot of influence from outside and it's quite easy to lose faith or think the grass is always greener."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/it-leaves-bitter-taste-mouth-15450264

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri transcript: Fulham boss on tinkering clever, Southampton and finding his best XI

Read everything that the Fulham boss had to say ahead of his first game in charge when Southampton come to the Cottage

Today the first day you've had all your players?

"Yes, it's a good moment because I spoke with the rest of the players but today I repeat my ideas about philosophy but today I repeat to everybody my idea about the squad and philosophy and they understood very well

"My message is the team is a good one, but now we must show fighting spirirt.

"It's not easy to change direction but it's important all together that we must do our best and be with good spirit and very attentive tactically."

Has your focus been on improving things defensively?

"Of course, it's not just fighting spirit, it's tactically movement is important.

"This week I work hard and they follow me very well but it's not possible in very few days to arrange everything. It's important to play, play, play and never give up."

How important is it to have a constant back line?

"It's important, I am Tinkerman but I tinker clever.

"It's important to maintain the same line up for some matches but you never know, I want everybody available and then I can choose."

Who do you see as main goalkeeper?

"I think Fulham has very good three keepers.

"For me it's much better and easier because when I choose, I choose well.

"Let me think until Friday night, you know me very well, and I choose my XI the night before the game when I am calm and reflect everything in the week."

Update on Joe Bryan?

"He's training every day, very well and I am thinking about him because he's a good player and very ambitious.

"I believe in this guy.

"I don't know if he is ready to play 90 minutes, but he is ready for my concept about football."

Made of Southampton?

"Southampton are very strange because they have a good manager, some good players but sometimes you never know what happens.

"You work well but Southampton are one of the biggest teams to make crosses for Austin, Ings and Long and it's important to stop the crosses."

Reflect on first match at Chelsea and Leicester?

"I hope to maintain the clean sheet and then if we can score, it's much better.

"It's crucial on Saturday for us and Southampton."

(Image: BEN STANSALL/AFP/Getty Images)

What would a winning start mean?

"It's important, but we must be calm and continue to work because it's not possible to change everything in one night.

"It's important to get points but it's important to maintain our mentality, never, never give up, not in the match or the season.

"At the end, we will be safe I am sure."

To get something out of this game after seven defeats, what would that do?

"Clean everything and restart.

"Today I said this, restart every time, we can win, lose, clean and restart tomorrow.

"Forget the past."

Players taken that on board?

"They understood but we are different, maybe some players understood better and the others no, but it's important because you can do anything for the past.

"Just react and then during the training session, a good reaction from my players because when you change the manager everyone wants to show their best and that is positive..

"Saturday is important, the mentality is good and I want to see the right mentality and strong body language."

Found strike partner for Mitrovic?

"Not yet, I have to be fast to choose the best team to fight and get points.

"I know my job, but I am very confident with myself."

Forget about the past, want to learn from the mistakes?

"I show to them some video from the previous game and I said what is right and what is wrong.

"One thing is to watch, but after we have been on the pitch to repeat the movement and slowly, slowly they get better.

"It's not possible for everything we do on the pitch to repeat, there will be some mistakes and I hope these mistakes there isn't a goal."

(Image: Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

Watched a lot of video?

"I've watched most of the games."

Settle on most important players defensively?

"I need to choose who is a good moment now, good form, that for me is important to speak with Scott Parker and others to understand what is right and wrong and then I choose.

"It's important all my players are available, I start with one line up and can change.

"Remember at Leicester I started without Kante, Simpson and Fuchs, and slowly, slowly it was good.

"It's important for me, I choose the first XI but it's important the other players don't go down, they have opportunity, everyone is in Premier League, if they go down, everybody is in Championship."

Good decision for Kante

"Yes because I started with other two players but during the training session I said I have to choose the position for him."

Tactically fluid? What system?

"If you come to the stadium you will see, I don't tell you so Hughes doesn't know."

What part of career is still similar to?

"When I came for the first time in Serie A with Cagliari, we went C,B A in three years.

"At the end of the first part of the league we were at the bottom, people said we were down, but at the end of the season we were safe with one match early.

"At Parma at the end of February and at the end we were safe and I want to repeat, I am positive man and I want to give my positivity to players."

Fans love the positivity?

"Our fans are our blood, they have to push in every situation.

"Now we need them more than other things. They are very important."

Need a team that can stop conceding and get results, how would achievement compare?

"Let me achieve something and then I tell you."

How long have you had with players?

"Not all the time I wanted, this is normal.

"If you think some players arrive today, some arrive yesterday and need rest.

"Today was the first day we trained altogether, but that is the time and I don't cry, okay, react."

Understand why Jokanovic struggled with starting XI?

"I think Joka made a fantastic job here, then something happened, that's football."

Had these period, how difficult is it to get confidence into players?

"It's important they follow me 100% and getting better with their ambition.

"I am ambitious and I want ambitious players."

Any injuries?

"I am with Anguissa and McDonald."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/claudio-ranieri-transcript-fulham-boss-15450971

WhiteJC

Team News

Claudio Ranieri was giving little away with regards to team selection in Thursday's pre-Southampton press conference.

"You know I'm the tinker man, but I tinker cleverly," he smiled. "It's important to maintain, more or less, the same line-up for some matches, but I need everyone available, and then I can choose.

"I have to be fast to choose the best team to fight and get points. I know my job is hard, but I have confidence in myself and in my players.

"To choose players in good form, it's important to speak to Scott Parker and others to understand what feels right or wrong.

"It's important that all my players are available, because maybe I'll start with one line-up and make a couple of changes.

"In Leicester, I started without [N'Golo] Kante, without [Danny] Simpson and without [Christian] Fuchs, and slowly, slowly, it got good.

"Then, while I choose the first XI, it's important that the other players don't get down – they'll have an opportunity."

Ranieri will be without central midfielders Kevin McDonald and André-Frank Zambo Anguissa for the visit of the Saints, but could have Joe Bryan at his disposal after the left-back rejoined the group last week.

"He's training, yes," our Manager confirmed. "He's trained every day, training very well, and I'm thinking also about him because he's a good player.

"He's a very ambitious player and I believe in this guy. I don't know if he's ready to play 90 minutes, but he's ready for my concept about football, my idea about football."

The Italian was also quizzed on the goalkeeping situation at the Club, with Marcus Bettinelli, Sergio Rico and Fabri all holding the jersey at some point this season.

"Fulham has three very good goalkeepers and, for me, that's better, because whoever I choose, I will have chosen well," Ranieri explained. "Let me think until Friday night. I will choose my XI the night before the match, so I have the chance to reflect."

Ahead of his first game in charge, you could win a Home shirt signed by Claudio Ranieri. Simply predict the score and first Fulham goalscorer for a chance to win.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/november/22/team-news

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri urges patience as Fulham prepare Premier League fightback

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri believes patience is key as he targets a turnaround in form for his new squad, as they aim to climb off the bottom of the Premier League.

The club have taken just five points from their first 12 games back in the top flight, leading to the sacking of Ranieri's predecessor Slavisa Jokanovic.

The former Leicester manager has, however, called for "calm", as he prepares for his first game in charge against Southampton on Saturday.

"We must be calm and continue to work because it's not possible to change everything in one night," he said.

"It's important to get points, but it's also important to maintain our mentality and never, never give up, not just the match but for the whole season. At the end we'll be same I'm sure."

The Italian famously won the league with Leicester in 2015/16, but faces a battle at the other end of the table this time around.

Drawing on previous experience, he has admitted he is taking a flexible approach with his team selection.

"It's important all my players are available," he said. "I may start with one line-up and I can change.

"Remember at Leicester I started without N'Golo Kante, Danny Simpson and Christian Fuchs but slowly, slowly it was good.

"For me, it's important now to choose my first 11, but it's important the other players don't go down, they have an opportunity. At the end if we go down everybody goes down."

He added: "We must show a fighting spirit. It's not easy to change direction but it's important to try altogether and to be with good spirit and attentive tactically."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11560338/claudio-ranieri-urges-patience-as-fulham-prepare-premier-league-fightback

WhiteJC

Ings "doubtful" for Fulham

Mark Hughes has confirmed that the fitness of Danny Ings is his only major concern ahead of Saturday's return to Premier League action at Fulham.

The striker was prematurely withdrawn from the 1-1 draw with Watford before the international break and Hughes admitted that the striker is unlikely to be ready in time for the encounter at Craven Cottage.

"Danny is the big doubt at the moment," he said. "He's only just got out on the grass so maybe tomorrow we might be able to integrate him into the group. As we stand at the moment, he has to be a doubt."

Late assessments will also be made on Moi Elyounoussi and Mario Lemina but the Saints boss suggested that both have a chance of featuring at the weekend.

"We've got a few niggles; Moi Elyounoussi has a bit of tightness in his hamstring and Mario Lemina has an issue with his thigh which we've been managing for a number of weeks now and we've just got to keep an eye on it. Those two should be okay but Danny is our main concern."

All but guaranteed to take his place in Saturday's line-up is Matt Targett, the full-back the "obvious choice" to step into the left-sided gap left by the suspension of Ryan Bertrand. For Hughes, Saints are "lucky" to have Targett as a ready-made option from the bench.

"We're fortunate that we have someone of the quality of Matt to come in. It's an obvious choice and one that I'll make as long as he comes through training unscathed.

"We're lucky to have Matt: he knows the level, he's played many times in the Premier League and he'll acquit himself very well I'm sure.

"He's coming up against a team that he knows and he'll have a good feeling going into the game. I sense Matt – along with everyone else – is really looking forward to the occasion."

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-11-22/team-news-southampton-fulham-premier-league-1819

WhiteJC

Soccer: Ranieri calls on Fulham to show fighting spirit

LONDON (Reuters) - Claudio Ranieri worked a sporting miracle at Leicester City when he took them to the Premier League title in 2016 and will need the old magic again after taking over at bottom club Fulham.

The charismatic Italian takes charge of his first game on Saturday with Fulham at home to fellow strugglers Southampton.

Six consecutive league defeats, a run in which they conceded 18 goals, ended the reign of Slavisa Jokanovic and Ranieri said the first ingredient he wanted to see was "fight".

"Today I spoke with the rest of the players, I repeated my ideas about philosophy and they understood very well," Ranieri, who only had his whole squad together for the first time on Thursday after the international break, told reporters.

"My message is the team is a good one, but now we must show fighting spirit. It's not easy to change direction but we must do our best and be with good spirit.

"Saturday is important, the mentality is good and I want to see the right mentality and strong body language."

Ranieri said an improvement would not come overnight, but called on his players to see Saturday's clash as a fresh start.

"Clean everything and restart," he said. "Forget the past.

"It's important they follow me 100 percent and getting better with their ambition.

"I am ambitious and I want ambitious players."

While Fulham have played some attractive football this season they have been exposed as having a soft centre and Ranieri's first task will be to tighten up the worst defence in the Premier League.

Jokanovic has used five different central defensive partnerships in 12 league games this season and Ranieri will look to establish a settled formation.

Leicester's title-winning defence virtually picked itself with Christian Fuchs and Danny Simpson at fullback and Wes Morgan and Robert Huth in the centre, while Ngolo Kante patrolled the spaces just in front of the back four.

"I need to choose who is in a good moment now, good form," Ranieri said. "At Leicester I started without (Ngolo) Kante, Simpson and Fuchs, and slowly slowly it was good."

Despite Fulham's position, Ranieri said he was confident the Londoners could turn it around.

"It's important, but we must be calm and continue to work because it's not possible to change everything in one night," he said. "It's important to get points but it's important to maintain our mentality, never give up.

"We will be safe, I am sure."

https://in.reuters.com/article/soccer-england-ful-sou-preview/soccer-ranieri-calls-on-fulham-to-show-fighting-spirit-idINKCN1NR1SA?rpc=401&;

WhiteJC

Manager press conference

Claudio Ranieri was pleased to get his whole squad together for the first time on Thursday.

Due to various international commitments, the morning training session was the first time the entire squad had joined up since his appointment, and Ranieri believes his players are buying into his teachings.

"It's a good moment because I spoke with the rest of the players," he said. "Today I repeated to everyone in the squad what my philosophy is, and I think they understand very well.

"My message is that the team is a good team, but now it's important to show a fighting spirit. Of course, it's not only about having a fighting spirit, tactical movement is very important too.

"It's not easy to change direction, but it's important to try and do the very best all together, with a good spirit, and to be very astute tactically.

"This week I worked hard, and they followed me very well. [But] you cannot arrange everything in a few days. It's important to never give up and continue to fight.

"You can't do anything about the past, just react. I saw a good reaction from my players. When you change the manager, everyone wants to show that they are the best. I want to see the right mentality and a strong body language."

Such is the tightness down the bottom of the Premier League, victory for Fulham would move us level on points with Saturday's opponents, and Ranieri admitted he's been surprised by the Saints' struggles.

"It's been strange because Southampton have a good manager and very good players, but in football you never know what can happen," he stated.

"They make a lot of crosses for [Charlie] Austin, [Danny] Ings, [Shane] Long and [Manolo] Gabbiadini, and it's very important for us to stop these crosses.

"I hope to maintain a clean sheet, and if we score, much better. It's a crucial match on Saturday, for us and Southampton.

"Of course, it's important to win, but we must be calm and continue to work because it's not possible to change everything in one night.

"It's important to get points, but also it's important to maintain our mentality of never giving up. Not just in the match, but for all season. In the end, I am sure we will be safe.

"I showed the players videos from the previous match and said what's right and wrong. But it's one thing to watch, it's different to repeat it on the pitch. Slowly, slowly, they're getting better."

Ranieri boasts a vast curriculum vitae when it comes to football management, and he was asked which of his previous jobs best compares to the challenge at Fulham.

"When I was at Cagliari, after the first part of the league, we were down at the bottom," he recalled. "All the journalists said Cagliari were down, but at the end of the season we were safe with one game to spare.

"When I was at Parma, by the end of February we were safe. Now, I want to repeat that. I'm a positive man and I want to give my positivity to the players.

"Our fans are our blood. They have to push in every situation. We need them more than other things. They are very important."

Ahead of his first game in charge, you could win a Home shirt signed by Claudio Ranieri. Simply predict the score and first Fulham goalscorer for a chance to win.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/november/22/manager-press conference

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri will prove his elite manager status if he keeps Fulham up

Claudio Ranieri possesses the ideal CV to manage Fulham, the Premier League's bottom club.

The Italian can boast charisma, experience of managing at the highest level for over 30 years, the ability to work with demanding owners, a knack of winning over even the most sceptical supporters and, perhaps most importantly, he also has a big tick in the box marked "sporting miracles."

At 67, there is little that Ranieri has not encountered, but his title success with Leicester City in 2015-16 -- when the 5000-1 outsiders won the league for the first time in the club's history -- ensures that he will always be remembered for achieving the impossible. He has managed Chelsea, Inter, Juventus, Atletico Madrid, but that unforgettable season of glory at the King Power Stadium will ultimately define his career.

However, as he prepares to take charge of a Premier League game this weekend for the first time since being sacked by Leicester in February 2017, Ranieri has the opportunity to prove he is more than just a miracle worker: Can he produce a different kind of alchemy at Craven Cottage and mastermind a great escape?

He is putting his reputation on the line and the prospect of being relegated risks tarnishing the memory of success at Leicester, but the flip side is that he could also walk away having proved himself to be a truly great manager, one who can inspire players at both ends of the table to previously unexpected heights.

Fulham, who were promoted via the playoffs last season, are in desperate need of something to avoid going straight back down: Ranieri's predecessor Slavisa Jokanovic was sacked by owner Shahid Khan after overseeing just one win -- combined with nine defeats -- in the opening 12 league games of the season.

A home game against fourth-bottom Southampton, managed by ex-Fulham boss Mark Hughes, offers the chance for Ranieri to hit the ground running; victory would inject instant optimism throughout his squad. It also might be needed, given the games that follow are against two of his old clubs, Chelsea and Leicester, and Manchester United.

Despite the image he projected at Leicester -- the affable, joking "dilly-ding, dilly-dong" old-stager -- he is a hard-headed product of his upbringing, rather than a footballing dreamer. Basic principles, Ranieri insisted at his introductory press conference, will be central to his attempts to keep Fulham up, rather than old memories.

"Leicester was a fairy tale, but we need to forget," Ranieri said. "If I have one quality, it is to forget what happened yesterday. I look always forward. I think now is important to not think about miracles, but think about a lot of battles and be ready together."

Ranieri immediately identified the areas in which improvement must be made.

"Fulham have conceded a lot of goals (31 in 12 games) and I am an Italian manager, so for us, it's important to maintain the clean sheet. I need fighting spirit because, with quality and fighting spirit we can do good job."

While Ranieri might not wish to dwell upon the past, and it is true that pursuing a title is markedly different from fighting relegation, there are striking similarities between the squad he inherited at Leicester and the players at his disposal now. It is why his new challenge is so intriguing.

Can he take rising stars such as Ryan Sessegnon and goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli to a higher level? Can he re-ignite Aleksandar Mitrovic's goal touch? Is there a defender who can be his Wes Morgan? Can Kevin McDonald and Tom Cairney become as consistent as were Danny Drinkwater and Marc Albrighton?

At Leicester, Ranieri imposed his methods and found a way to dredge the best from all of his players. He placed trust in the likes of Riyad Mahrez and N'Golo Kante -- both of whom had been overlooked by bigger clubs -- and was rewarded spectacularly by both. Jamie Vardy, meanwhile, scored consistently at the top level, having been playing nonleague just four years earlier.

Every top manager has had his record questioned by those who ask how well he would do in charge of a team at the bottom of the table. Hardly any face the challenge of finding out, although Rafael Benitez has shown at Newcastle that an elite manager, who has coached at the very highest level, can achieve relative success lower down.

But Ranieri's title with Leicester means he must shoulder a heavier burden with Fulham than merely having a winning track record. If he can make the impossible happen again, not only will it reaffirm his previous achievements, but it will serve as further proof of his elite status.

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3705878/claudio-ranieri-will-prove-his-elite-manager-status-if-he-keeps-fulham-up

WhiteJC

GW13 Captains: Ranieri arrival can lift Mitrovic

The Scout says Fulham forward can carry on his international form and be revived by the new manager

A change of manager could transform the Fantasy Premier League prospects of Aleksandar Mitrovic (£6.6m) in Gameweek 13.

Sergio Aguero (£11.4m) and Mohamed Salah (£13.0m) are expected to be the top captain picks for their trips to West Ham United and Watford respectively.

But both Aguero and Salah have struggled on the road, scoring just one away goal apiece this season.

Ranieri boost

Mitrovic, meanwhile, is among a number of alternatives to offer very favourable home matches.

The Fulham forward has managed just one goal and one assist in his last eight Gameweek appearances.

But the appointment of Claudio Ranieri as manager of the Cottagers can revive the Serb's fortunes.

'Mitro' revival

Mitrovic has hinted at a return to form, scoring in both his nation's matches against Montenegro and Lithuania over the international break.

His underlying statistics also look very encouraging as Fulham welcome Southampton to Craven Cottage.

Mitrovic has fired 24 shots on goal in home matches, second only to the 38 of Manchester City's Aguero.

Martial option

Anthony Martial (£7.6m) is another captaincy contender as Manchester United welcome Crystal Palace to Old Trafford.

The Frenchman has six goals in his last five Gameweek appearances.

Richarlison (£6.9m) and Gylfi Sigurdsson (£7.5m) should also be considered as Everton entertain Cardiff City.

They have produced 30 and 29 points respectively in their last four home appearances, with the former scoring for Brazil in midweek.

Jimenez joy?

A visit from Huddersfield Town can maintain the fine form of Raul Jimenez (£5.8m).

The Wolverhampton Wanderers forward has recorded 18 points against Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal in his last two appearances.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/916793

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri plans to 'tinker clever' to turn Fulham's season around ahead of crucial opener against Southampton

The 67-year-old replaced Slavisa Jokanovic earlier this month with the Whites struggling at the foot of the Premier League table and having lost their last seven games in all competitions

New Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri intends to "tinker clever" in the quest to find a winning formula at Craven Cottage.

The 67-year-old replaced Slavisa Jokanovic earlier this month with the Whites struggling at the foot of the Premier League table and having lost their last seven games in all competitions. It is Ranieri's first job in England since his title-winning spell in charge of Leicester ended with the sack in February 2017.

During his four years as Chelsea manager, the Italian earned the moniker 'Tinkerman' due to the number of changes he made to his team on a regular basis. Fulham have yet to name the same defensive unit for any of their 12 games back in the top flight, but Ranieri insists he will be looking to make astute adjustments as he aims to steer the club clear of relegation.

Asked how important it is to have a consistent back-line, he replied: "It's important, I am Tinkerman but I tinker clever. "It's important to maintain the same line-up for some matches but you never know, I want everybody available and then I can choose."

Ranieri inherits a squad which saw no fewer than 12 new faces, either permanently or on loan, signed in the summer. But he is planning to wipe the slate clean and has been analysing videos of Fulham's earlier matches following their poor start to the campaign.

"Clean everything and restart," he said when the current losing streak was mentioned ahead of Saturday's visit of fellow strugglers Southampton. "Today I said this, restart every time, we can win, lose, clean and restart tomorrow. Forget the past.

"I show to them some videos from the previous game and I said what is right and what is wrong. One thing is to watch, but after we have been on the pitch to repeat the movement and slowly, slowly they get better.

"It's not possible for everything we do on the pitch to repeat, there will be some mistakes and I hope these mistakes there isn't a goal."

PA

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-claudio-ranieri-tinkerman-new-manager-a8647211.html

WhiteJC

Can Claudio Ranieri save Fulham from relegation? 5 blueprints for the 'Tinkerman' to follow
Only five clubs who have been where Fulham now stand in the Premier League – six points or fewer after 12 games – have stayed up. Here's how

When taking over as manager of Fulham, Claudio Ranieri told the club's fans "not to think about the miracle". Ranieri has been a dealer in miracles at both ends of the table.

Nine years before making Leicester 5,000-1 champions, he inherited a Parma side in perhaps an even worse state than Fulham are now. They had just got out of administration, they had won one game in four months and were second bottom of Serie A. They finished 12th.

However, something extraordinary will have to happen at Craven Cottage for Fulham to survive. Only two clubs have made a worse start to a Premier League season. Only five clubs who have been where Fulham now stand – six points or fewer after 12 games – have stayed up. Here's how.

Roy Hodgson, Crystal Palace 2017
Points from 12 games:
Five Points from safety: Five
Final position: 11th
Tactic: Rigid discipline

The only thing Roy Hodgson seemed to have going for him when he arrived at Selhurst Park was that he had grown up in Croydon. His last managerial experience had seen England knocked out of Euro 2016 by Iceland. His first two games saw Palace beaten by an aggregate score of 9-0. It was on the training ground where Hodgson turned Crystal Palace around. He is an intensely hands-on coach – when he was Hodgson's assistant at West Brom, Terry Burton joked that all he did was put the cones out. Roy did the rest. Hodgson had no time for fripperies or five-a-sides. Crystal Palace were rescued by relentless, repetitive training to emphasise team shape and individual responsibility. Hodgson was fortunate that Palace's chairman, Steve Parish, had sacked Frank de Boer after four games – giving him maximum time to make an impact. He was boosted, too, by Wilfried Zaha's return from injury. However, Palace did not lose a home game to any club in the bottom half of the table and Hodgson's rigorous discipline salvaged the club and his own reputation with something to spare.

Paul Clement, Swansea 2016
Points from 12 games: Six
Points from safety: Five
Final position: 15th
Tactic: Keeping it simple

Like Crystal Palace, Swansea started abysmally and sacked their manager. Unlike Palace, they then fouled up the choice of replacement. Bob Bradley had interviewed so well that he convinced the Swansea chairman, Huw Jenkins, to hire him. It proved a disastrous hunch. By the time Bradley himself was fired, Swansea had 12 points from 18 games. Jenkins then appointed the man he should probably have gone for in the first place, Paul Clement. The first thing Clement did was to scrap the long team meetings Bradley had employed. He used videos to make his point and did not speak for longer than 10 minutes. Clement believed a player would only remember three things when he walked on to the pitch. Clement's greatest achievement was to shore up Swansea's defence. Bradley's last three games had seen them concede 10 times to West Ham, Middlesbrough and West Brom. With Leon Britton restored to the side, Swansea's average goals conceded per game dropped from 2.3 to 1.3. Swansea's players celebrated survival with a party at Fernando Llorente's house but it was his sale and that of Gylfi Sigurdsson that would doom them 12 months later.

Roberto Martinez, Wigan 2011
Tactic: Refusing to panic

Many clubs have employed the phrase 'The Great Escape' but none resembled Steve McQueen on a motorbike more than Wigan, who won seven of their final nine matches, including victories over Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United. Looking back, it seems hard to imagine how Roberto Martinez survived. A 3-1 defeat at Wolves in November was their eighth straight loss. Between December 17-February 4 they took four points from nine games. Coaching a squad made up of 13 different nationalities, Martinez's trick was to exude an aura of almost Zen-like calm as if Wigan being rock bottom in February were part of a wider master plan. Midfielder, James McArthur, recalled: "We had so much quality in that changing room and we had a manager who was so calm under all that pressure. It fed into the players." However, Martinez did not just rely on positive thinking. As the season reached its climax, he switched formation to a 3-4-3. Wigan had kept only four clean sheets in the previous 29 games. They had to attack and they did – scoring 18 times in those nine matches. Unlike Steve McQueen, Wigan escaped.

Jim Smith, Derby 2000
Final position: 17th
Tactic: Judicious use of geese

It was May 2001 and Derby had two games left. One was at home to Ipswich, who were challenging for a Champions League berth, the other was at Old Trafford. They were expected to win neither. On the morning of the Manchester United game, the team was having breakfast at Mottram Hall Hotel in Cheshire when their manager, Jim Smith, spotting some geese waddling across the lawn sprung from his seat and said: "That's the formation we'll use." According to defender, Danny Higginbotham, the geese were in 'a loose 3-4-3 formation'. Throughout their relegation struggle, Derby had employed a 3-5-2 but 3-4-3 allowed Georgi Kinkladze and Stefano Eranio greater freedom in midfield. Derby beat Manchester United, 1-0. Before the final game against Ipswich, Smith took the team off to Guernsey for some alcoholic 'team-bonding'. Once more, it worked. Smith was not the only manager to turn to geese when threatened with relegation. In 2003 Howard Wilkinson, attempting to inspire Sunderland to stay up, showed his players a video of geese flying in formation, telling them: 'This is the best example of team-work you will ever see." This time, however, the geese did not work their magic. Sunderland were relegated.

Joe Royle, Everton 1994
Points from 12 games: Four
Points from safety: Eight
Tactic: In your face aggression

No Premier League team has been in a worse position than Everton. Not only were they eight points adrift – this was a season in which four teams would be relegated. Not only did Everton escape, they ended the season beating Manchester United in the FA Cup final. The team Joe Royle turned around became known as 'The Dogs of War' after a throwaway remark by the new Everton manager. Royle thought the team he inherited 'too lightweight'. He wanted footballers who would be in the faces of the opposition and show relentless aggression. He preferred players like Joe Parkinson and John Ebbrell on the grounds they supported the club and would be prepared to fight harder for it. Everton's run to the FA Cup final was in contrast to the popular belief that struggling clubs need to exit cup competitions early. Everton won only one of their league games that followed a cup win, which makes their escape all the greater.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/claudio-ranieri-fulham-manager-premier-league-relegation-odds-plans-survival/

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri: New Fulham boss plans to 'tinker clever' in the Premier League

Fulham have won one, drawn two and lost nine of their opening 12 Premier League games this season

New Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri plans to "tinker clever" with his side to keep them in the Premier League.

Ranieri, 67, replaced Slavisa Jokanovic earlier this month with the Cottagers bottom of the table after seven successive defeats in all competitions.

The Italian, who won the Premier League title at Leicester City, was known as the 'Tinkerman' at Chelsea because of his regular changes to the team.

"I am Tinkerman, but I tinker clever," said Ranieri.

It is his first job in England since his title-winning spell in charge of Leicester ended in February 2017 when the Foxes sacked him.

Fulham have not fielded the same starting 11 for two consecutive matches this season and entertain a Southampton side who are 17th on Saturday.

"It's important to maintain the same line-up for some matches but you never know, I want everybody available and then I can choose," added Ranieri.

"I have shown them some videos from the previous game and said what is right and what is wrong.

"One thing is to watch, but after we have been on the pitch to repeat the movement and slowly, slowly they get better."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46309367