Results

Sunday
Bournemouth
1 - 2 Arsenal
Wolves
0 - 2 Huddersfield

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Post Match Show: Fulham vs. Southampton
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our post match show of the 3-2 victory for Fulham against Southampton. During the show, co-host Max Cohen analyzed the key moments of this match.

you can listen to the podcast by following this link...
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cottagetalk/2018/11/25/cottage-talk-post-match-show-fulham-vs-southampton

WhiteJC

Why Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic thrived in Claudio Ranieri's first match

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic steered the Whites to their first Premier League victory since August, netting twice in a 3-2 win over Southampton on Saturday.

The Serbian international thrived at Craven Cottage due to the Whites' reliance on crosses from wide areas, a new feature of play that Claudio Ranieri hopes to emphasise in SW6.

Mitrovic's opening goal was the result of an incisive passing move from the Whites, with Tom Cairney's lofted through ball finding Maxime le Marchand on the left wing. The fullback chipped in a cross from the byline, which was met by a glancing header by Mitrovic to level the scores at one.

(Photo by Marc Atkins/Getty Images)

And the Fulham centre-forward won the match in the second half, when Cyrus Christie's delivery was flicked on by Ryan Sessegnon and volleyed home by Mitrovic.

Notably, both of Fulham's fullbacks swung in crosses that led to Mitrovic's goals, revealing an increased reliance on attacking wingback play under the Italian manager.

Mitrovic is at his best when attacking crosses in the box and had struggled in recent weeks due to a lack of service in central areas.

Yet under Claudio Ranieri's new-look Fulham system, Aleksandar Mitrovic feasted off delightful deliveries and bagged a brace to lift the Whites off the foot of the table.

https://tbrfootball.com/why-fulham-striker-aleksandar-mitrovic-thrived-in-claudio-ranieris-first-match/

WhiteJC

Dedryck Boyata is the last thing Fulham need

According to the Daily Mail, Fulham are considering resuming their summer pursuit of Celtic centre-back Dedryck Boyata in the upcoming January transfer window.

What's the story?

The 15-cap Belgium international's current contract with the reigning Scottish champions is set to expire at the end of the season, which means the Bhoys may be willing to cash in on Boyata for a cut price fee in the winter window.

Such a state of affairs means that the 27-year-old could be available at a bargain to someone. The Cottagers, however, ought to resist the temptation to swoop for the Celtic man.

The newly-promoted west London club spent over £100 million in the summer as they prepared for life in the Premier League by welcoming a vast number of new arrivals to Craven Cottage. This was a mistake that Fulham must now learn from.

Keeping faith in the current crop

A lot of these additions came into the defensive contingent, with Alfie Mawson, Calum Chambers, Maxime Le Marchand, Joe Bryan and Tim Fose-Mensah all signed to bolster Fulham's ranks at the back.

The club subsequently got off to a disastrous start to the campaign. Manager Slavisa Jokanovic was sacked with twelve games played, with his side at the foot of the table and with the worst defensive record in the division.

These defensive woes are largely owed to the sheer volume of new arrivals who had no time to settle or gel into a cohesive unit.

On an individual basis, Fulham have good players at their disposal. Jokanovic's successor, Claudio Ranieri, must now refrain from seeking bought-in solutions, and rather give his current defensive contingent an opportunity to come good. Adding Boyata in January could easily hinder this process and further jeopardise the club's top flight status.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/fulham/dedryck-boyata-is-the-last-thing-fulham-need

WhiteJC

'I feel like I let Slavisa down' - Fulham players pay tribute to former boss Slavisa Jokanovic

Fulham's players paid tribute to the former boss in the matchday programme for the Southampton game

Fulham players have been paying tribute to their former boss Slavisa Jokanovic after the Serbian's sacking during the international break.

The 50-year-old turned the club's fortunes around during his two years and 11 months at Craven Cottage, steering Fulham from League One relegation candidates to a Premier League side.

In that time he got the side playing easy-on-the-eye attacking football, which culminated in a play-off victory at Wembley Stadium.

But a run of seven defeats in seven games in all competitions meant that Shahid Khan decided the time was right to make a change, opting for Claudio Ranieri as the man to guide Fulham to Premier League safety.

The game with Southampton yesterday was his first in charge, and while there was an air of optimism about a new era under the Italian, players took the chance to pay tribute to their former head coach who had such an impact on the careers of those at Craven Cottage.

Denis Odoi, who was one of the first signings under the Jokanovic regime, said in the matchday programme: "We're responsible for it in the end, although no one plays badly on purpose.

"We always gave 100 per cent. Slavisa knew we always gave our all, but you do feel responsible as it's not just the main man that leaves, it's also members of his coaching staff and they have families.

(Image: Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

"I feel like I let down Slavisa as he gave me a lot.

"I'm 30 and I'm playing in the Premier League, which is due to him. I won't forget that."

Meanwhile, Tom Cairney was made captain of the club under Jokanovic, and the skipper paid tribute to Jokanovic as the man who got him playing the best football of his career.

"It was a sad day for Fulham when Slavisa Jokanovic departed," he said.

"What he did in two-and-a-half years here was nothing short of brilliant - he stopped us going down to League One and then led us to promotion.

"We went 23 games unbeaten last season playing an exciting style of football and that won't ever be forgotten.

"From a personal point of view, he made me captain and got me playing the best football of my career.

"However, things obviously weren't going t

"I feel bad that I couldn't play as often as I would have liked as well; my injury came at the end of the Burnley game at a really bad time."

Meanwhile, Khan also paid tribute in his programme notes, saying: "Slav was central to each of those moments [the unbeaten run and play offs] and he deserves a place deep in the hearts of everyone within the Fulham community.

"I thank Slavisa, who leaves with my deepest appreciation and upmost respect. I know he will succeed again"

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/i-feel-like-slavisa-down-15459975

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic is key to Fulham & Tom Cairney's new role - Talking points from Southampton

Fulham news includes a look at the talking points to arise from Fulham's 3-2 win over Southampton

Claudio Ranieri's first starting line-up

One of the biggest talking points ahead of the 3-2 victory over Southampton was how Claudio Ranieri would set his Fulham side up - and with just one change from Slavisa Jokanovic's final starting XI it was a surprise to most in the press room.

But once we saw them on the pitch, it was clear that Ranieri had weaved his influence on the 4-2-3-1 Fulham started with.

In possession, Ryan Sessegnon and Andre Schurrle pushed up and joined Tom Cairney, who was playing just off Aleksandar Mitrovic, making it a front four with the three of them sitting just behind the Serbian striker, inter linking play and trying to get their striker in on goal.

Out of possession, Schurrle and Sessegnon dropped deeper to make a midfield four with Calum Chambers and Jean-Michael Seri, who were playing a deeper central midfield role.

It showed that Ranieri had been placing an emphasis on defensive shape in the past couple of weeks since his appointment, and despite a few hiccups and some iffy moments, it looked to be a very good display of tactical defensive work from the Fulham players.

After the game, Ranieri said that his side must do better as they allowed too many shots at Sergio Rico, who had an inspired game in goal once more, but that it would take all year and next year to sort the defence out.

With just 37 per cent possession, the win over Southampton shows a clear difference in style between Jokanovic and Ranieri, and while it shows possession doesn't win football matches, there is still a lot to do on the defensive side of things for Fulham.

Aleksandar Mitrovic is key to Fulham playing well

Mitrovic found his scoring boots again and got himself a brace, putting himself joint-second in the Premier League scoring charts, and for me it shows that when the Serbian plays well, Fulham play well.

Crystal Palace rely heavily on Wilfried Zaha and when he's not at his best it shows, and the same can be said is becoming true about Fulham and their striker.

He hadn't scored since the 1-1 draw with Watford and Fulham have rarely played well since that second half, with Mitrovic getting barely any service.

Against Liverpool before the international break, his physical presence caused their defenders all sorts of problems and he was praised highly by Jurgen Klopp after the game, and Fulham played well in that first half.

(Image: Marc Atkins/Getty Images)

Against Southampton he was instrumental - his hold-up play got others involved and his two goals lifted a Craven Cottage crowd that was starting to become flat with the first 20 minutes of the game.

People scoffed at his price tag in the summer, but he is showing now why Fulham paid so much to have him - he's instrumental to them playing well.

No Big Macs for the team just yet

Ranieri stressed the importance of a clean sheet previous to the game, but once again Fulham failed to keep their goal mouth intact and conceded two disappointing goals.

The first came from a throw-in where Cyrus Christie fell asleep before Maxime Le Marchand's header was poor, but it was the second ball that wasn't picked up by Fulham's defensive midfielders that was the worst part of that passage of play.

The same could be said for the second - another header out wasn't contested, allowing Southampton to move the ball along the face of the box before they put it into the top corner.

Of course, it will take time for Ranieri to turn this defence into a well drilled machine, but he will be hoping to see more improvement from them when they travel to Stamford Bridge next week to take on Chelsea it what will be a huge test of their defensive capabailities.

Tom Cairney's new role

We've seen Cairney play in a deep midfield role before, but in Ranieri's first game he was employed much further forward, sitting just off Mitrovic.

The skipper seemed to really enjoy the role and he was instrumental going forward for Fulham, with his more advanced positioning meaning he could exploit the space in between Southampton's centre backs and full backs.

That's how the first goal came about when a lovely pass from Cairney put Le Marchand in, with the Frenchman's cross for Mitrovic inch-perfect.

It looked perfect for Fulham to counter - Cairney moved the ball quickly when he got it high up the pitch and there was signs of the side's future counter attacking plans under Ranieri.

After the game, the Italian manager said that he wants to see more goals and assists from Cairney and that's why he's in that position - and judging by the Southampton win it looks to be a role that the skipper will revel in.

First win in 10 games

Most importantly, Fulham secured their first win in 10 Premier League games, ending a losing streak of seven losses in all competitions in a row.

It wasn't pretty at times and there are still a lot of things that need tinkering, but getting three points against a side that are also struggling down the bottom was so important for the side.

(Image: Steven Paston/PA Wire)

The celebrations at the full time whistle, not just the fans' but the players' ones too, show how much they needed and wanted that win against Southampton and what it means for them.

Fulham have now hauled themselves to 19th, level on eight points with Cardiff City and Southampton and just a single point behind Burnley, Crystal Palace and Newcastle.

That win was critical and it will do wonders for Fulham's confidence.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/aleksandar-mitrovic-key-fulham--15461661

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri on what he wants to see Tom Cairney do more of for Fulham

The skipper played in a more advanced role in Fulham's 3-2 win over Southampton

Claudio Ranieri revealed he told Tom Cairney that he wants to see his skipper score more goals before the 3-2 victory over Southampton.

The Italian played his skipper in a more advanced role than we've seen Cairney play in under Slavisa Jokanovic, with the 27-year-old playing just off Aleksandar Mitrovic.

That meant that he didn't need to worry about the defensive side of the game, while he was able to exploit the Southampton defence further up the pitch and have more chances to get shots off at goal.

Cairney scored six goals for Fulham last season, including the one that got the side promoted at Wembley in the Championship play-off final, but the season before that he bagged 13 that included some stunning long range efforts.

And after a strong performance in the 3-2 victory on Saturday, Ranieri revealed he wants his skipper to score more goals but that he was pleased with how he did in his new role.

He said: "He [Cairney] is a fantastic player and a free man, his left foot is amazing and he can do everything.

"With him, I want to score goals like he did in the Championship, because he is a goalscorer.

"He has to assist or shoot at goal I said before the match and I am very pleased, well done."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/claudio-ranieri-what-wants-see-15461738

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri 'eyeing' three Leicester City players - report

The Fulham boss has reportedly identified these City players as January targets

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri is 'eyeing' three Leicester City players as he aims to bring in reinforcements to Craven Cottage.

According to the Mirror Ranieri, who began his tenure on the banks of the River Thames with a 3-2 win over Southampton on Saturday, is after Danny Simpson, Christian Fuchs and Shinji Okazaki.

All three played crucial roles in City's 2015-16 Premier League title win under Ranieri. The trio have made just nine appearances combined in the Premier League this season.

Okazaki started Saturday's 1-1 draw with Brighton , while Danny Simpson and Christian Fuchs didn't make it off the bench.

Robert Huth, currently without a club and another of the heroes of three seasons ago, is reportedly on Ranieri's radar.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-leicester-city-transfer-news-2257208

WhiteJC

Fulham find a messiah in Claudio Ranieri

Why would someone like Claudio Ranieri take up a job at the Fulham Football Club, after achieving what he achieved with Leicester? What he did there was nothing short of a miracle, something that cannot be explained by natural or scientific laws. Why not just hang up the managerial boots at the age he's at and be remembered as someone who made the impossible, possible?

Fulham beating Southampton yesterday sorted my churlish self out and gave me some of the answers, but most importantly a bit of perspective to mull over. He, perhaps, just knew that he and FFC are tailor-made for each other just the way Leicester were when he took them over. To watch him celebrate with a mild-smile and a customary round of applause on the touchline after the game was a thing to behold. Just brings back so many memories from his Leicester time.

Surely, it's just not the man's charm or pizzas' or burgers this time, that get him and his players the wins. They can only do so much. He's known as a 'Tinkerman' in the world of football with always chops and changes and for a reason, has that nickname.

The Italian said he has a plan to supervise the club to the Premier League safety and is the right appointment. And, he couldn't have been more right as there were a significant improvement, both, tactically and personnel that just couldn't have gone unnoticed. So, what changed yesterday that brought FFC only their second win all season so far and their first since August?

To begin with, Ranieri made sure that Ryan Sessegnon did not stray from the left-wing position and pushed higher up the pitch as much possible as he can. The 18-year old took the Championship by storm last season and was a key member in the clubs promotion via the playoffs. But, the kid hasn't had the same success in the Premier League so far. That could be down to the old regime of Slav Jokanovic where he was required to play either the left-back or left-winger, based on what sort of opposition his team faced. Also, he would drift in a more central position more often than not resulting in compromising on his pace.

Ranieri changed that right away. Sessegnon, who until before Saturday, had one goal and one assist to his name bagged two assists against Southampton which took his tally to three. His assist for the second goal was a tacit suggestion as to why the boy was so highly rated by one and all. With a bit of luck and a stunning bit of skill, he waltzes passed two Southampton players and whipped a delicious cross in which took the back four out of the game entirely, leaving Andre Schurrle for an obligatory tap-in.

Sergio Rico, the goalkeeper, was another player who oozed confidence in the ever rare start for the club. It was his double save right in the beginning of the game, when it still was 0-0, gave a lot of impetus and could be said, was the springboard for the win. He also came up trumps in the dying minutes of the game when Southampton's Pierre-Emile Højbjerg and Michael Obafemi forced him into action. Among the Ninety-Two clubs in English Football, Fulham are the only the club yet to keep a clean sheet. But, looks like with Rico between the sticks, that unwanted statistic will be fixed sooner rather than later.

The Italian must know that he has his plate full in terms of the team's defensive fusibility and the forwards must do the job for him by outscoring until he sorts that out. Mitrovich and co. just did that on Saturday. The newly found confidence was all there to see, especially, with the way he scored his second goal which eventually turned out to be a winner. The Serbian came into the Saturday's game without scoring for close to 600 minutes but showed what he is capable of when given the right service.

The credit must go to the manager and to some degree the clubs medical staff to have the captain, Tom Cairney, ready for this game after the injury. Claudio Ranieri made him play in a bit of an advanced role against Mark Hughes side. His pass to find Le Marchand for the first goal which Mitrovich finished reminded many of the Fulham supporters the Championship season last season. Chambers and Seri too were a tad better than they have been all season.

We are only a third passed this season and the manager has a job at hand, especially, in defence but he seems to have taken to Fulham like an ape to a tree. Having said that, the attack already looks more cohesive. There are a lot of tongue-in-cheek comments doing the rounds among the Fulham faithful as to how this is a start of making of Leicester, part two. It certainly may not be that but with the invoked sense of optimism, it most likely may not be relegation, either.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/fulham-find-a-messiah-in-claudio-ranieri?key=newsnow

WhiteJC

Ranieri can easily fix Fulham's leaky defence by signing this 6ft 5in Serie A star in January

Why Fulham should make a January swoop for Federico Fazio

Claudio Ranieri got off to a winning start at Fulham as they defeated Southampton in the Premier League on Saturday.

Fulham have taken just 8 points from their first 13 games in the top-flight, leading to Slavisa Jokanovic's sacking. Club owner Shahid Khan decided to replace Jokanovic with Claudio Ranieri, the magician who was behind one of the unlikeliest sporting achievements by Leicester City in 2016.

The Cottagers currently find themselves in the relegation zone with a dismal goal difference of -19, which doesn't bode well to the club's chances of survival in the top-flight.

Quite clearly, Ranieri has a mountain to climb to avoid the drop and the onus will be on the Italian to turn defeats into victories and very quickly too. So what should his plan be to secure Fulham's safety?

First things first, Ranieri has to fix the leaky defence. Fulham have let in a lot of goals as Jokanovic failed to settle on a consistent back-four all season long, chopping and changing the line-up almost every single week. Ranieri's priority should be to address it and splashing the money on a new central defender would make sense.

In that case, Fulham should target AS Roma centre-back Federico Fazio. He arrived at Tottenham Hotspur from Sevilla back in 2014 as a replacement for Michael Dawson who had left for Hull. Despite appearing heavily in his first season at Tottenham, he surprisingly fell out of favour under Mauricio Pochettino as he seemed to struggle with the pace of the English game.

That led to the Argentine defender leaving Spurs on loan for his former club Sevilla in 2016 and then Roma before joining the Italian outfit on a permanent basis. Federico Fazio has managed to rebuild his career at Roma and starred last season when the Italian club knocked Barcelona out of the Champions League.

Standing at 6ft 5in, Fazio is a giant defender blessed with strength and power. He uses his physicality to outmuscle the opposition and has the ability to time his jump to perfection to win the aerial duels.

To go with his physicality and aerial ability, the Argentine also has a sound technique and is also good with the ball at his feet. Even though Fazio lacks the pace, he can cut out opposition attackers by leaving his towering frame in the path of the runs from the ball-carriers.

The Cottagers need an effective leader at the back and Fazio could be the ideal deal. After a horror time with Spurs, Fazio deserves another shot at the Premier League and Ranieri should look to hand him a chance in January.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/11/26/ranieri-can-easily-fix-fulhams-leaky-defence-by-signing-this-6ft-5in-serie-a-star-in-january/

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri makes unbelievable claim about Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic – Wow..

New Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri believes Aleksandar Mitrovic is 'one of the best' strikers in the world – a statement a fair few Newcastle fans may strongly disagree with.

These comments came after Fulham's 3-2 win over Southampton yesterday, with the Serbian scoring twice to help Ranieri get off to a perfect start after replacing Slavisa Jokanovic at Fulham over the international break.

Here's what he's had to say about the 24-year-old following his impressive display on Saturday (brace yourselves!):

"For me Aleksandar Mitrovic is one of the best strikers in Europe.
    "And when I say Europe I mean all of the world."

Don't get me wrong, I've watched Mitrovic put in some outstanding all-round displays since he made the £20m plus move to Craven Cottage over the summer, and he was terrific again on Saturday, but to say these post-match comments from Ranieir are over the top is an understatement.

As I say, he was brilliant against Southampton, bullying their back four, linking the play very well and looking deadly in front of goal, but he's got a long way to go yet before he can be considered an elite striker.

That being said, Saturday saw him take his tally for the Premier League season up to seven – meaning those who questioned Benitez's decision to sell him will no doubt be making their feelings known.

It's probably time for us to move on from Mitro, but I just couldn't ignore these comments from Ranieri.

Does he actually believe this, or is this an attempt to put an arm around the Serbian and make him feel loved? Something Rafa showed no interest in doing during their time together on Tyneside..

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2018/11/25/claudio-ranieri-makes-unbelievable-claim-about-fulhams-aleksandar-mitrovic-wow/

WhiteJC

Sheffield United's promotion hopes would get a significant boost if they sign this 20-year-old Fulham starlet in January

Why Sheffield United should sign Luca de la Torre on loan in January

Fulham had an ambitious transfer window, bringing in 12 new faces over the course of the summer as they look to stay in the Premier League after gaining promotion last campaign.

The list included the likes of Andre Schurrle, Jean Michael Seri, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Aleksandar Mitrovic as the Cottagers backed manager Slavisa Jokanovic unreservedly. However, the results so far haven't been great for the club and Fulham decided to sack Slavisa Jokanovic earlier this month.

Claudio Ranieri is now the chief at Craven Cottage and with Fulham in the relegation zone, the Italian tactician has a mammoth task on his shoulders to achieve survival. And while Ranieri is likely to demand the board for financial backing in January, he needs to release some players as well – either permanently or on loan.

And one player the Fulham manager needs to send out on loan in January is 20-year-old Luca de la Torre.

Luca de la Torre joined Fulham in 2013 and has progressed through the youth ranks at Craven Cottage. The highly-rated midfielder made his first-team debut for the club in August 2016 in an EFL Cup game against Leyton Orient. However, he has not been able to get regular opportunities at Fulham and is yet to feature in the Premier League so far this season.

But Luca de la Torre dished out a Man of the Match performance in the Carabao Cup win over Millwall in September with a goal and two assists in Fulham's 3-1 win. The 20-year-old will be eager to impress the new manager but looking at Ranieri's options in the midfield, De la Torre getting a regular look in this season appears highly improbable.

Keeping that in mind, it would be best for the young midfielder to leave the Londoners on a short-term loan. And should he be made available on loan, Sheffield United must seriously make a move in January.

Sheffield United's impressive form this season sees them occupy 5th spot on the Championship table. The Blades are in the hunt for promotion this season but Chris Wilder's team need to perform consistently to stay in the reckoning for the play-off places.

Pump in a couple of reinforcements in the New Year and Sheffield United would have a solid squad to mount a realistic promotion challenge. And Luca de la Torre could be a massive addition for Wilder's side.

De La Torre, a skilful midfielder, would bring more fluidity to United's play in the final third. The 20-year-old American also has a keen eye for a pass and uses his vision and intelligence to pick out the runs of his teammates in the final third. He would add quality and depth to the squad, and would also bring competition for the ageing Mark Duffy.

All in all, De la Torre might just be the utility player that Sheffield United need to bring a new dimension to their midfield.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/11/26/sheffield-uniteds-promotion-hopes-would-get-a-significant-boost-if-they-sign-this-20-year-old-fulham-starlet-in-january/

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri's clever behind-the-scenes changes at Fulham already paying off

New Fulham boss Ranieri won his debut on Saturday after shaking up how his squad eat and train to build team spirit

Claudio Ranieri is already living up to his Tinkerman nickname in an attempt to turn struggling Fulham from a squad of strangers into a family.

The manager who led Leicester to that fairytale title three seasons ago got off to a winning start in Saturday's six-pointer at home to Southampton, and is making changes to his players' daily routines to try to unite a Cottagers squad that saw a huge influx of new faces this summer for the relegation battle ahead.

The way the west Londoners hit back from a goal down, then showed the determination to hang onto their lead against opponents who needed the win every bit as badly as them stood out.

Stuart Armstrong opened the scoring and then equalised after Aleksandar Mitrovic and Andre Schurrle had put Fulham in front, only for Mitrovic to grab the game's decisive fifth goal.

Mitrovic scored to make it 1-1 and later, above, volleyed Fulham's winner (Image: Getty)

Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon put the ­victory down to all the work Ranieri has done to bring the players he's inherited from the sacked Slavisa Jokanovic together.

He said: "He's changed a lot of things. We eat together, we leave together now. Before, we used to come up to the canteen and eat and then just go. Now, you can't leave until everyone's finished. It's about keeping the team bonded, — everyone together.

"The warm-ups in training are all together too, literally, we all have to follow each other in a pattern. Little things like that help on the pitch. He wants us to defend as a team.

"Twelve new players came in and it was hard for us to gel. The team that got us ­promoted was a good team, for new players to gel with the players here before is really difficult."

Fulham spent more than £100million on new signings in the summer after coming up via the play-offs, but boss Jokanovic never managed to integrate them all properly into the team and ended up paying with his job.

Ranieri still has a long way to go to get the ­Cottagers out of trouble — Huddersfield's Sunday win at Wolves shunted them back into last place, on goal difference — but this was a good way to start ahead of Sunday's trip to one of his former clubs, Chelsea.

Sessegnon said: "We needed to improve. Now we need to keep going and not get ahead of ourselves. It's going to be a tough game against Chelsea. ­Everyone was excited when Claudio came in. Everyone knows what he did with Leicester and Chelsea, so for someone of his calibre to come in and help the team is very exciting."

Ranieri was clearly ­impressed with what he saw from 18-year-old Sessegnon, who set up two of the three goals.

The Italian said: "I think he's one of the best young players I've met. Very good. He must be exuberant. He must be strong. He could improve a lot. But slowly, slowly.

"He's a young boy. A new manager's arrived. Everybody wants to show their best. He's young, a child. It's not easy for him, but I'm very happy and pleased with his performance."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/claudio-ranieris-big-behind-scenes-13644799

WhiteJC

Fulham winger Ryan Sessegnon hails Claudio Ranieri's instant impact on and off the pitch

Sessegnon played with a clarity of vision against Southampton and a joy that has been largely absent during his maiden Premier League season

Ryan Sessegnon was the last Fulham player to return from international duty last week and consequently the last one to meet Claudio Ranieri.

As has been proven already in his young career, though, the 18-year-old is a quick learner. On the pitch, he played with a clarity of vision against Southampton and a joy that has been largely absent during his maiden Premier League season.

Off it, he was able to grasp the nuances of the Ranieri touch as soon as he walked back into the club's Motspur Park training ground on Thursday morning. Most of them centred on unity.

Sessegnon said: "Our body language today was down to everything that the gaffer's done since he's come in. He's changed a lot of things in terms of we eat together and we leave together now.

"Before we used to just come up to the canteen and when you finished, you'd just go. Now you can't leave until everyone's finished. I think it's about keeping that team bonding and everyone together.

"The warm-ups we do in training are all together, too. We have to follow each other in a line or in patterns. Little things like that help on the pitch."

Anyone who witnessed Fulham mount comeback after comeback in the Championship last season will vouch for the unquenchable team spirit fostered by former manager Slavisa Jokanovic, but that was with a group of players who had grown together over two seasons.

Sessegnon added: "There are about 12 new players who have come in this season and it was hard for the old gaffer to gel everyone together.

"The team that got us promoted was a good team, but to gel that team with the new players straightaway was very difficult. Now the fact that we're all eating together helps with that.

"The gaffer has told me just to be positive and go forward, don't play back too many times. He sees me as someone attacking in the final third of the pitch and hurting teams. I tried to do that today."

Sessegnon's vision set up Fulham's second goal for Andre Schurrle after Aleksandar Mitrovic had cancelled out Stuart Armstrong's opener for Southampton in a first half full of attacking intent and defensive lapses.

Aleksandar Mitrovic scored twice as Fulham beat Southampton (Reuters)

It was Armstrong's turn to equalise for the visitors in the second period, before Sessegnon's flicked header was volleyed home by Mitrovic for the winning goal.

While Southampton manager Mark Hughes was left bemoaning his side's inability to turn dominance into goals and possession into points, as well as fending off questions about the open revolt towards him among the Southampton fans, Ranieri enjoyed only positive thoughts.

Many of those centred on Sessegnon and the talent within which the Italian hopes to unleash.

Ranieri said: "Ryan is one of the best young players that I've met. He must be exuberant, he must be strong but I saw for the first that he is very intelligent. He could improve a lot, but slowly, slowly. He's young, a child. It's not easy for him, but I'm very happy and pleased with his performance."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-ryan-sessegnon-claudio-ranieri-manager-impact-southampton-a8651116.html

WhiteJC

Fulham have gone from the last supper to a fine dining club... how Claudio Ranieri gave them food for thought

Fulham showed team spirit to come from behind against Southampton
    It was a perfect start for Claudio Ranieri in his first game as Fulham manager
    Mark Hughes meanwhile is on the brink with Southampton nine games winless

Picture it. The time is 12.55pm, all of Fulham's squad are ready to leave the canteen after having lunch, apart from one — Aleksandar Mitrovic still has a single fish finger left on his plate.

As a result, no one may leave. Those are now the rules under Claudio Ranieri, who wants to create an atmosphere of togetherness after being left alarmed by its absence.

The same goes for exiting the changing room or leaving Craven Cottage. After seeing how far a family spirit can take you at Leicester, Ranieri believes that is what will save Fulham.

Aleksandar Mitrovic hits the winner for Fulham against a struggling Southampton

Fulham showed togetherness and team spirit to come from behind and defeat the Saints

It was a perfect start for Claudio Ranieri with a win in his first game as Fulham manager

That bond was evident on Saturday. Rather than crumbling after Southampton took an early lead, they came back to end a run of six successive Premier League losses.

Mitrovic scored twice and Andre Schurrle grabbed the other goal, while Ryan Sessegnon showed why he is tipped to become one of England's finest in the future.

The 18-year-old will be vital if Fulham are to stay among the elite. He gave his all to ensure the Ranieri revolution got off to a flying start, partly because he was as starstruck as anyone.

'For someone of his calibre to come in and help the team is very exciting,' said the teenager, who was four months old when Ranieri took charge of Chelsea in September 2000. 'Everyone was excited. Everyone knows what he did with Leicester and Chelsea.

'Twelve new players came in and it was hard for us to gel. The team that got us promoted was a good team — for new players to gel with the players is really difficult.'

Ryan Sessegnon showed why he is tipped to become one of England's finest in the future

Sensible words from such a young starlet. Ranieri was asked what he thought of the highly-rated Sessegnon.

'He's young, a child!' Ranieri said. 'It's not easy for him, but I'm very happy with his performance. He's one of the best young players that I've met. He must be exuberant. He must be strong. He could improve a lot. He's a young boy.'

What about Mitrovic? 'A strong man,' Ranieri continued, smiling as he attempted to conjure the appropriate words to sum up the snarling Serbian striker. 'He's only 24. Very, very intelligent. I'm very happy to coach him.'

While the Ranieri era is just beginning, the Mark Hughes one may be ending. Southampton are nine league games without a win.

Stuart Armstrong scored twice but even when leading 1-0, their own players admitted afterwards they expected to concede. That is never a healthy sign.

'We were winning 1-0 and I had a feeling that we get the 1-1 because we were exposed, and then maybe after our head was gone,' right back Cedric Soares confessed.

'We were the better side but again it's the result that matters. I've been here four years, and for the last year-and-a-half it has been a little bit like this.'

After full time, the contrasting moods at these clubs was summed up by both sets of supporters. Fulham's fans left Craven Cottage chanting the name of their new boss. Southampton's left singing about how their manager will soon be searching for a new job.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6427411/How-Fulham-gone-supper-fine-dining-club.html

WhiteJC

Ranieri working his magic again

Fulham goalkeeper Sergio Rico jumps for joy after seeing Aleksandar Mitrovic equalize for the host in Saturday's English Premier League game against Southampton at Craven Cottage in London. Serbian striker Mitrovic later scored a second goal for the Cottagers to help them to a 3-2 victory in new manager Claudio Ranieri's first game in charge.

A stirring fightback. A first win in nearly three months. An attacking partnership already clicking.

Welcome back to the English Premier League, Claudio Ranieri.

The Italian coach who masterminded the most improbable title triumph in English soccer history, with little Leicester City in 2016, is back in the Premier League as the new manager of Fulham, and made an immediate impact in his first game in charge.

Fulham beat Southampton 3-2 on Saturday to climb off the bottom of the standings with only its second victory of the season, and its first since Aug 26.

First, this victory. Next, the title?

Maybe not. Fulham won't be replicating Leicester's unlikely feat - achieved at odds of 5,000-1 - this season anyway, but his arrival has at least brought some optimism to a club owned by American billionaire Shahid Khan, who also runs the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars.

Ranieri called for togetherness at Fulham when he was presented as manager last week and there were certainly early signs of that, with his players fighting back after going behind at Craven Cottage in the 18th minute and then getting pegged back to 2-2 early in the second half.

There is also the makings of an exciting combination up front, which Ranieri will hope rivals the one he produced at Leicester with Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez. Winger Ryan Sessegnon set up Aleksandar Mitrovic for the winner in the 63rd minute, the Serbia striker's second goal of the match.

Sessegnon, one of the most highly rated youngsters in the English game, also set up Andre Schurrle for Fulham's other goal in possibly his best display of the season.

While there was change at the bottom of the Premier League, it was more of the same at the top as Manchester City and Liverpool picked up where they left off before the international break with big wins to stay undefeated after 13 games.

http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2018-11/26/content_74209056.htm

WhiteJC

Everton should break the bank to sign Aleksandar Mitrovic

Everton should pay the big bucks to lure Aleksandar Mitrovic to Goodison Park to partner him with Richarlison upfront.

What's the word?

The Serbian has already been labelled as one of the best goalscorers in Europe by his new boss Claudio Ranieri, and on current form, it is hard to argue with such a claim.

In just 13 Premier League starts this season, the Serbia international has scored seven goals for the Cottagers who have found themselves embroiled in a relegation battle on their return to the top-flight.

This comes after the former Newcastle man's 12 goals in 18 games at the back end of last season fired the Londoners to promotion from the Championship – at 24 years of age, he looks to be learning how to control his temperament and fulfil his potential.

Why would Everton want him?

Well, when the Toffees shelled out almost £30m for Cenk Tosun, one would assume that they were after a physical, dominating striker who knew how to hold the ball up and find the back of the net.

Whilst the Turkish international hasn't really got going at Goodison Park, his fellow Premier League striker in Mitrovic looks to be everything the Merseysiders wanted Tosun to be.

As aforementioned, with the Serb at just 24 years of age, and the ever impressive Richarlison approaching his 22nd birthday, the Toffees could have one of the league's best partnerships for the foreseeable future if they can pull this deal off.

Fulham most certainly would not want to sell him, and would demand a huge fee well in excess of the £22m they spent to take him off the Magpies' hands if Mitrovic asked to leave.

However, if their battle for survival ultimately proves to be unsuccessful, then they will have a striker on their hands who is way too good for England's second tier and will most likely be looking for an immediate return to the top table.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/everton/everton-should-break-the-bank-to-sign-aleksandar-mitrovic

WhiteJC

Garth Crooks challenges Aleksandar Mitrovic to lose a stone and see the results

Garth Crooks tells Aleksandar Mitrovic to lose a stone after scoring 31 goals in the last 10 months.

Aleksandar Mitrovic was always going to be a big topic of conversation for Newcastle fans this season.

Moving to a Premier League rival and Mike Ashley refusing to give Rafa Benitez the kind of money (£22m rising to £27m) his sale generated. In fact, not even allowing the manager to make an offer to buy Salomon Rondon, instead only a £2m loan for a season.

So comparisons were always going to be made between how the two clubs were getting on and especially the part played by Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Newcastle fans have always been split about the striker, either believing he can be a really good goalscorer at Premier League level if getting the service, or alternatively a forward who is too immobile and doesn't work hard enough for the team.

After five goals by the 22 September and Fulham doing relatively well the Mitro fans were in the ascendancy, then nine weeks with no goals and Fulham plunging to the bottom of the table, the doubters were claiming this was the reality.

After two goals for Fulham in their 3-2 win over Southampton, the arguments have sparked up again.

Aleksandar Mitrovic now has seven Premier League goals, only Aguero and Aubameyang (both with eight) have more.

Garth Crooks has entered the argument and when picking Mitrovic for his Premier League team of the week, has indicated that maybe both groups of Newcastle fans are right...

Garth Crooks after picking Aleksandar Mitrovic in his Premier League team of the week for BBC Sport:

"This is a player who knows what he's doing in front of goal.

"His second was a most impressive finish and a reminder of how good the Serb is.

"There is no doubt that Mitrovic is a player but if he were to lose a stone in weight and get really fit what an asset Fulham would have then.

"Claudio Ranieri got away with this result and needs reinforcements fast if he's to stay in the top flight.

"He needs to get in touch with Danny Drinkwater.

"The midfielder is twiddling his thumbs down the road at Chelsea and needs to rebuild his career. Who knows Drinkwater better than Ranieri?

"Did you know? Mitrovic has scored more headed goals than any other Premier League player this season (4)."

So is Garth Crooks right?

Is Alekandar Mitrovic somebody who is an excellent goalscorer but needs to get the service or otherwise he is a liability, due to not being enough to work hard for the team?

Certainly when it comes to goals, you can't argue since Newcastle let him go out on loan at the end of January this year.

In less than 10 months he has this record in the league for Fulham and Serbia at international level:

Fulham:

Championship – 12 goals in 18 starts and 2 sub appearances (total of 1,653 minutes)

Premier League – 7 goals in 13 starts and 0 sub appearances (total of 1,166 minutes)

Serbia:

12 goals in 13 starts and 0 sub appearances (1,106 minutes)

In these past 10 months a total of 31 goals in 44 starts (2 from bench) in 3,955 minutes of play, an average of a goal every 127 minutes.

Garth Crooks seems to be suggesting Aleksandar Mitrovic is potentially capable of becoming a real top striker but we will only find out IF he gets properly fit.

One to keep an eye on and of course plenty of Newcastle fans will be doing so.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/11/garth-crooks-challenges-aleksandar-mitrovic-to-lose-a-stone-and-see-the-results-newcastle-united/