watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Angry John Pantsil

Started by King_Crud, November 28, 2018, 08:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Crud

I was listening to the "That Peter Crouch Podcast", where Peter Crouch chats about various things to do with football and his career, it's an excellent podcast and I recommend it to all.

They asked him if he was ever scared of any players and he said that the one that scared him the most was John Pantsil when he was at Fulham. Apparently Crouchy was giving him a bit of lip and it sent Pantsil psycho, he said Pantsil just followed him around the rest of the game, roughing him up and threatening him, even to the point of playing out of position in order to get at Crouchy.

I was surprised by this, Pantsil always seemed the cheeriest bloke on the field, or maybe I'm confusing the post match celebrating Pantsil did with his on field demeanour. Anyone think Pantstil was a bit of a hot head?

gang

Popular player but had a tendency to score own goals. Always loved his lap of honour after the game.

RaySmith

He was very emotional, wore his heart on his sleeve.

I vaguely remember him getting sent off once, and then Mark Hughes didn't pick him after that, or maybe it was to do with a couple of own goals, and I think he'd told him not to  do his  post match run round the pitch.

He'd been a real crowd favourite, with his involvement in the Europa Cup, I think, and his  running round the pitch celebration, and then he was dropped and disappeared from view.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Lucky for Crouch that he never played against Peter Storey, Ray Lewington can fill him in on that one.

fulhamfever

JP will always be a Fulham folk hero

Carborundum

I subscribe to the view that every football team needs a player who is, frankly, scary.  Had always thought it was Dickson Etuhu in that team.  Still do and so it turns out that we had, on occasion, two. 

Effective wasn't it.

ron

On the Bobby Keetch scale, they are all pussycats....

filham

Crouch must have come up against many players with tough reputations who were a lot more physical than pants. Truth probably is that he new better than to wind up these players with  strong verbals whereas he thought he could try it on with Pants.

RaySmith

Yes, Crouch shouldn't have had a go if he couldn't handle the response- must have thought Pantsil was a soft target.

The Old Count

Quote from: ron on November 28, 2018, 11:23:46 AM

Keetch - scarier than Norman Hunter

bog

filham

Keetch, has to be our toughest ever player by the length of an old Nightingale hospital ward.

RP24

I always thought Terry Phelan Had a bit about him

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Old Count on November 28, 2018, 11:56:27 AM
Quote from: ron on November 28, 2018, 11:23:46 AM

Keetch - scarier than Norman Hunter

Bobby Keetch, a legend, and the toughest and hardest player I have ever seen on a football pitch.
His philosophy was " the days of the footballing centre half are over, modern football demands a stopper, a man who destroys attacks and clears quickly. "
He only had to glare at an opponent, to pursuade him to surrender the ball.

Legend has it, that he was summoned to an FA Commision of Enquiry accused of intimidating opponents, he just sat there glaring at them until they oppologised to him for wasting his time.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

TXWhite

Quote from: King_Crud on November 28, 2018, 08:45:46 AM
I was listening to the "That Peter Crouch Podcast", where Peter Crouch chats about various things to do with football and his career, it's an excellent podcast and I recommend it to all.

They asked him if he was ever scared of any players and he said that the one that scared him the most was John Pantsil when he was at Fulham. Apparently Crouchy was giving him a bit of lip and it sent Pantsil psycho, he said Pantsil just followed him around the rest of the game, roughing him up and threatening him, even to the point of playing out of position in order to get at Crouchy.

I was surprised by this, Pantsil always seemed the cheeriest bloke on the field, or maybe I'm confusing the post match celebrating Pantsil did with his on field demeanour. Anyone think Pantstil was a bit of a hot head?

Believe Crouch's quote to Paintsil was "you cost your team every week" and then told him he had to check the back of his shirt to find out his name. Pretty funny from Crouch tbf.

General

Quote from: King_Crud on November 28, 2018, 08:45:46 AM

Pantsil was happy as fulham took him out of the West ham reserves and he played for what was by a few standards a successful side.. when we won he was happy.. which thankfully felt more often than not.

That being said, just because we remember him happy etc doest mean he doesn't have a mean and competitive streak.. he just never showed us it because he didn't feel the need to.

sunburywhite

Keetch was the hardest by far but I reckon I wouldnt have wanted to upset Paul Went either
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Cambridge Pete

Good to remember Killer Keech. Loved his art too :wine:

BedsFFC

Quote from: Carborundum on November 28, 2018, 10:14:58 AM
I subscribe to the view that every football team needs a player who is, frankly, scary.  Had always thought it was Dickson Etuhu in that team.  Still do and so it turns out that we had, on occasion, two. 

Effective wasn't it.

Etuhu. Scary?

Were does this myth come from?

I know youre not alone in this thought but I've seen and played against scary players and Etuhu is a million miles from that (in my opinion)

Woolly Mammoth

One of my grandsons has a Teddy Bear scarier than Dickson.
I cannot think off hand any player in the modern era that is remotely scary compared to the real men of yester year.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.