News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Light at the end of the tunnel or blindly optomistic?

Started by Jimpav, December 06, 2018, 09:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

For what it's worth, here's what I'm clinging too right now.

We have taken 4 points from our last 3 matches, this is nearly double the 5 points we had from the previous 12 matches.

Our matches against the current top 4 have all been played away (Citeh, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelski), although home advantage is neglible against these types of teams, I would rather be playing these fixtures at the Cottage than on the road.

The key matches which we dropped points to other relegation threatened sides (Huddersfield, Cardiff) were away. We will have home advantage in the reverse fixtures. Anyone that was at the Brum game in our Great Escape season, will testify what a difference this can make.

We are within 3 points of 15th place so we are far from isolated.

The 4 teams above us have a goal difference that is within 5 of our own. If Raneiri can find a wayof tightening our defence up then the goal difference will quickly be eroded.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

FFC1987

It's a big ask to get the manager to make our players more clinical in front of goal, and completely shore up our defence. I think we're down for the simple reason that we don't have enough fire power in this squad and we ship too many cheap goals. We can get away with beating bottom 5 teams at home but we're too easily defeated away from home against everyone, whilst not taking 3 points against mid table teams at home means we likely just won't get enough to stay up. Next 4 games are massive though.

KJS

Quote from: FFC1987 on December 06, 2018, 09:32:29 AM
It's a big ask to get the manager to make our players more clinical in front of goal, and completely shore up our defence. I think we're down for the simple reason that we don't have enough fire power in this squad and we ship too many cheap goals. We can get away with beating bottom 5 teams at home but we're too easily defeated away from home against everyone, whilst not taking 3 points against mid table teams at home means we likely just won't get enough to stay up. Next 4 games are massive though.

And a Happy Christmas to you too!!!!!!!!!!

Lighthouse

Had we lost all these last three games or stolen just a point. Then few would have been shocked just disappointed that the season was continuing so badly. Depending on opinion there has been an improvement in the way the side behaves and plays. We have a keeper that looks like a keeper. We have players who look better given a run in the side instead of all this chopping and changing. To my eyes there continues to be improvement overall. But as I have asked before. Will it be enough? Whatever happens it is a nice hiatus at least in a season that was going from bad to worse.

Sometimes it isn't about a change in coach but just a change in attitude.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FFC1987

Quote from: KJS on December 06, 2018, 09:39:42 AM

That doesn't mean we won't give it a good go or we won't get some good games in. It's just very hard to see right now.

Neutral Zone Ultra

We're definitely not down yet, there's plenty of games left to come and although we're bottom we're by no means cut adrift. However it goes without saying that the upcoming winter period is absolutely critical to our survival. Out of Huddersfield Wolves West Ham Newcastle Man United Arsenal and Burnley we need at the very least 10-12 points in my opinion.

filham

We are in there fighting and the introduction of Chambers in midfield has helped to tighten the defence, a really strong centre back and playing Odoi at right back could solve all defensive issues.

We will have to see how things develop but it is not yet time to give up hope, not expecting to bring anything back from Old Trafford but it is essential that we all get right behind the team again at the Cottage for the West Ham match.

Baszab

Still need another 7 wins minimum - tough ask with our players - however good CR is I just don't think the players as a squad are good enough?

When Leicester brought on extra forwards last night we collapsed and looked so vulnerable

alfie

I am assuming you do not go to games, because if you do then there is not a lot of point in wasting your money if you think we are already down.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

toshes mate

I don't believe you ever see a light at the end of the tunnel in a relegation struggle until you are safe.  You are in the tunnel period and if you don't see a light by a certain point then you are not emerging from the tunnel in one piece.  As for the improvement over the last three games results wise then Ranieri is on course for survival but not with latitude to spare.  Had we dominated in at least one game this season I'd be more relaxed about our chances but all we have done is dominate in patches as we did last night while always offering opponents a free shot at goal.

IMO that is demonstrating that the squad, as tried by both managers, is lacking.  I hope Ranieri finds whatever it is that's missing and deals with it in whatever way is necessary. 

nose returns

Everyone goes on about our defence but actually the other end is inadequate too. we have a squad that is just not right and hoipefully when he arrived ranieri was able to get a tacit agreement he would get the players we need, not the ones Slava had imposed on him. The next four games AND the transfer window will be good indicators of our likely fortunes for the new year. But if we do not impriove the squad ranieri will have no chance of keeping us up.

nose returns

Quote from: toshes mate on December 06, 2018, 12:10:40 PM
I don't believe you ever see a light at the end of the tunnel in a relegation struggle until you are safe.  You are in the tunnel period and if you don't see a light by a certain point then you are not emerging from the tunnel in one piece.  As for the improvement over the last three games results wise then Ranieri is on course for survival but not with latitude to spare.  Had we dominated in at least one game this season I'd be more relaxed about our chances but all we have done is dominate in patches as we did last night while always offering opponents a free shot at goal.

IMO that is demonstrating that the squad, as tried by both managers, is lacking.  I hope Ranieri finds whatever it is that's missing and deals with it in whatever way is necessary.

I absolutely agree... I believe, in the end, the key to survival will be the transfer window. The squad as assembled is wrong in too many areas and that needs to be addressed or we will be in the bottom three come May.

FFC1987

Quote from: alfie on December 06, 2018, 11:53:30 AM

I am assuming you do not go to games, because if you do then there is not a lot of point in wasting your money if you think we are already down.

Seems like a completely unnecessary statement.

FFC1987

Quote from: nose on December 06, 2018, 12:12:13 PM

Everyone goes on about our defence but actually the other end is inadequate too. we have a squad that is just not right and hoipefully when he arrived ranieri was able to get a tacit agreement he would get the players we need, not the ones Slava had imposed on him. The next four games AND the transfer window will be good indicators of our likely fortunes for the new year. But if we do not impriove the squad ranieri will have no chance of keeping us up.

I definitely think its more than just the defence. In a nutshell, not clinical enough and ship goals too cheaply. Its a two way street which is why, ultimately, I think we'll go down. Not sure why people feel I shouldn't go to games for holding that opinion though. Seems daft to me.

Baszab

I go to most games and I'm pretty sure we'll go down
Just have to enjoy Premier while it lasts

FFC1987

Quote from: Baszab on December 06, 2018, 12:54:51 PM
I go to most games and I'm pretty sure we'll go down
Just have to enjoy Premier while it lasts

Precisely, as long as the players give it a good go and we get some good games in!

Woolly Mammoth

If we are not active in the January Window to strengthen the starting eleven with quality players who are better than who we already have, and no cheap imports or come to think of it, no expensive imports either.
Then our chances of avoiding the trap door are remote.
We need experience in the ranks and a few more leaders.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Personally I think were up sh*t creek,but when I'm pessimistic about things,they normally turn out OK.
Just think our terrible start puts too much pressure on.
But you never know we might go stuff Manure on Sat.
Coyw.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 06, 2018, 01:05:54 PM
Personally I think were up sh*t creek,but when I'm pessimistic about things,they normally turn out OK.
Just think our terrible start puts too much pressure on.
But you never know we might go stuff Manure on Sat.
Coyw.

Is that light at the end of the tunnel you Mince holding a candle in one hand, and a flamethrower in the other.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.