watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ranieri

Started by nose returns, December 08, 2018, 05:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Ronic

Roy inherited Sanchez's new squad. Which as I remember was mostly new and unable to hold out for 90 minutes. Usually conceeding in the last 10. He managed with time to switch a few players from zero's to hero's. Bardinno and Zola spring to mind. I have ever confidence in CR to do the same with some of the squad he's inherited.

HV71

Quote from: hovewhite on December 11, 2018, 10:19:26 AM
We have to give Claudio a chance , otherwise what's the solution.i would have stuck with slav but he's gone so back Claudio .

100% agree - I would have stuck with Slav but I do like Claudio. I do believe though that he will have to be allowed to pick any new incumbents in January in order to play the way he wants ( within a reasonable budget) .

WindyCity

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 10, 2018, 03:15:23 PM
Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on December 10, 2018, 02:59:01 PM
"it remains the fact the purchasing policy is killing us"

I agree with this. We are making it very difficult for any manager and if Ranieri doesn't get a say here in Jan we will be wasting many more millions. Whats worse is the thought of being left with the likes of Shurle, Seri and Zambo in the Champ as based on their form and the fact the latter 2 are on long expensive contracts no one will touch them. None of them look like they have any fight despite getting to play on the world platform that is the Prem. What hope for them giving 2 s**ts in the Champ?

Spot on

Further that, my fear would be further relegation out of the Champ.........

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on December 10, 2018, 02:59:01 PM
"it remains the fact the purchasing policy is killing us"

I agree with this. We are making it very difficult for any manager and if Ranieri doesn't get a say here in Jan we will be wasting many more millions. Whats worse is the thought of being left with the likes of Shurle, Seri and Zambo in the Champ as based on their form and the fact the latter 2 are on long expensive contracts no one will touch them. None of them look like they have any fight despite getting to play on the world platform that is the Prem. What hope for them giving 2 s**ts in the Champ?
I wouldn't be so sure on no one wanting them.
How many players have we had who have been crap for us, who we managed to offload afterwards, even without a massive financial outlay?

Matt10

I think there was something missing with Slavisa that couldn't bring in all the players together. Simple team building, airing out grievances, etc. Something about the team dynamic suffered, and that led to suffering on the pitch, eventually Slavisa's dismissal. Regardless of price tag, they are new players, and that is a fact. Pair up new faces, new system each week for those new faces, and animosity with the older faces, it's a recipe for disaster. With all good intentions aside, Khan gave Slavisa too many new players. I think many here didn't want to say it, or think it, but there was always going to be a case of the group not getting along as a whole. So much to do, in so little time, what could we expect?

I think it has very little to do with purchasing policy, and more so to do that the purchases as a whole disrupted our entire team dynamic. I fear for January because Khan will either be forced to splash more cash, and risk losing the developing, working, team dynamic; or sit on his hands and be ridiculed for not acting in a transfer window. Regardless, he won't win, because that stigma of signing players is overshadowed by our current standing on the table. While fans look forward to that window, I think our current players are dreading it.

Personally, I'd rather Ranieri work with what he's got, and set up his system for success and not back off against the perceived better teams. It's probably being naive, but I think it's an opportunity to show what we have learned about what happens when you choose potential vs a working dynamic. However, with that said, I would not be upset if we signed anyone.

WindyCity

Quote from: Matt10 on December 11, 2018, 04:56:26 PM
I think there was something missing with Slavisa that couldn't bring in all the players together. Simple team building, airing out grievances, etc. Something about the team dynamic suffered, and that led to suffering on the pitch, eventually Slavisa's dismissal. Regardless of price tag, they are new players, and that is a fact. Pair up new faces, new system each week for those new faces, and animosity with the older faces, it's a recipe for disaster. With all good intentions aside, Khan gave Slavisa too many new players. I think many here didn't want to say it, or think it, but there was always going to be a case of the group not getting along as a whole. So much to do, in so little time, what could we expect?

I think it has very little to do with purchasing policy, and more so to do that the purchases as a whole disrupted our entire team dynamic. I fear for January because Khan will either be forced to splash more cash, and risk losing the developing, working, team dynamic; or sit on his hands and be ridiculed for not acting in a transfer window. Regardless, he won't win, because that stigma of signing players is overshadowed by our current standing on the table. While fans look forward to that window, I think our current players are dreading it.

Personally, I'd rather Ranieri work with what he's got, and set up his system for success and not back off against the perceived better teams. It's probably being naive, but I think it's an opportunity to show what we have learned about what happens when you choose potential vs a working dynamic. However, with that said, I would not be upset if we signed anyone.

Maybe I'm naive, but is football really rocket science?  (Mind you, I'm a newbie, been following Fulham/PL for about 5-6 years now.). Players meshing, gelling, et al?   Aren't these players supposed to be "professionals"?  Why would/should there even be such clubhouse distress?  The new batch of players and the Champ group not getting along?  Sorry, this just doesn't make any sense.  I recall this message board being ecstatic over many of the last minute signings heading into the new season.  This team has "good" players, good enough to survive the drop and be close to mid table I should think.  Sure, a coach/manager needs to inspire, but, these guys are pros, just go out and do your jobs and do it with enthusiasm and heart and determination when given the chance to play.  Even with little time together as a group to start the season, that still shouldn't be an excuse for failure.  It has been frustrating following this club so far this season.  Next four games very crucial imo.  Time for all the players to look into the mirror and man-up.

Matt10

Quote from: WindyCity on December 11, 2018, 05:08:00 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on December 11, 2018, 04:56:26 PM

Maybe I'm naive, but is football really rocket science?  (Mind you, I'm a newbie, been following Fulham/PL for about 5-6 years now.). Players meshing, gelling, et al?   Aren't these players supposed to be "professionals"?  Why would/should there even be such clubhouse distress?  The new batch of players and the Champ group not getting along?  Sorry, this just doesn't make any sense.  I recall this message board being ecstatic over many of the last minute signings heading into the new season.  This team has "good" players, good enough to survive the drop and be close to mid table I should think.  Sure, a coach/manager needs to inspire, but, these guys are pros, just go out and do your jobs and do it with enthusiasm and heart and determination when given the chance to play.  Even with little time together as a group to start the season, that still shouldn't be an excuse for failure.  It has been frustrating following this club so far this season.  Next four games very crucial imo.  Time for all the players to look into the mirror and man-up.

Hey, I'm with you. We heard from Tim Ream during that time though, and he very clearly said there were those that weren't playing for the shirt and it was obvious there was animosity there in general. It may not make sense, but it has happened. There are a lot of things that don't make sense this season - but regardless of that, it happened.

I also agree, this team, on paper, has good players. So again, it does not make sense that they didn't gel for so long. Eventually, the only answer could be the coach, or simply the players are not good enough to play for him. Well, coaches can be fired, and players cannot. Even though I wasn't a Slav out guy, the reality was, dismissing him may have brought players even closer together - and a sharp reminder that they are professionals, and it's time to go be trialist "A" for Ranieri now.

nose returns

Quote from: Mokes on December 10, 2018, 10:03:20 PM
Quote from: nose on December 10, 2018, 02:12:12 PM
Quote from: Mokes on December 10, 2018, 08:51:17 AM
What a load of trash this post is..

Before Ranieri we had 5 points From 12 games with a manager who has been at the club 3 years.

Since Ranieri came in we have 4 points from 4 games 2 of which were away against United and Chelsea.

sure Ranieri has made a few changes to the line up, but 3 of his 4 games has come in the period of 7 days..

Let's see how we look after the next few games against lower half teams

before being rude please understand I know that. it is the manner of the way we have played and the use of TC outr of position. there is no bounce. the next four will be telling and I suspect it will be ending in tears.

I'm not trying to be rude, I usually like your posts on here, but this one is ridiculous.

No bounce.

We beat Southampton, by not giving up even though they were the better team for most of that game.

Before that we showed absolutely nothing and lost with a whimper against Huddersfield and were spanked by Bournemouth and bloody Cardiff!

We were not  that bad against Chelsea and we were arguably the better side against Leicester.

We have the most important run of games of the season coming up, so it's hardly a suprise that he has been resting players.

The manner in which we play has definitely changed. We don't stuff around with it so much at the back now and our attacking players are actually pressing their defence a bit when the opposition had the ball and putting some pressure on which we never did before.

TC, while a really good player and a really nice guy, isn't our saviour. He is in his first year in the Prem and has a lot of learning to do in it. Claudio said at the start he wants to see the whole team defend and Cairney is just about the worst player in the team at tackling and getting back to help out (besides maybe Shurrle, who is also starting to see the bench). Even Mitro and AK get back and do their bit.

I too would love to see TC picked and do well, as I'm not at all sold on Vietto, but at least Vietto runs his socks off and tries to make tackles which is what CR wants to see at the minute. I'm sure he is working with Tom to try and get the best out of him.

I do understand your opinion but I don't agree. V chelsea they could have had any number in the first half, leicester could have and should have been ouut of site in the first 25 minutes and the goalkeeper had loads to do...ma utd was a catastrophe and southamption are the team next to us in the league and we struggled to beat them conceding two goals.

We have let in 9 it could easily have been double that, in four games.our style is changed and against southampton we saw more effort and against leicester a period of good play in the second half.... but we played really well v liverpool, chambers making the key difference, the ref killed us there. I am not and have never been a great ranieri fan and whilst I cannot take away what he did at leicester, I know it was a unique and unlikely to be repeated circumstance. I have seen nothing that makes me feel he will do better than the last manager with the current squad. If he can manage the opwner and his son then I will take it all back and we willsee if we wget anybody in early january. if all the transfers come in on the last day then we will know nothing has changed.

The next four will absolutely be a clear indicator as to the remainder of the season. IMO we need a minimum of 7 and probably 9 to kick start our season into life.

I am glad you usually like my posts and none iof us are prerfect to sorry if you are less happy with my heartache being on display... I can't help it.

Arthur

Quote from: nose on December 12, 2018, 03:57:45 PM
...leicester could have and should have been ouut of site in the first 25 minutes and the goalkeeper had loads to do...

Looking at the Offal,

http://www.fulhamfc.com/first-team/2018_2019/league/home/leicester-city#matchstatistics

Leicester had five attempts on target.

In the second-half, there was their goal (obviously) and two late efforts: 'Rico was busy in the first of four minutes added on at the end, first getting a firm hand on Gray's dangerous attempt, before denying Maddison.'

If the statistics/match report are correct, Rico didn't, as you imagine, have 'loads to do' in the opening 25 minutes. Two saves, that's all.

fulham traveller

We have to give him our best, love Joka but can't see us getting to 20 points with him, CR is a seasoned pro and I trust he will get us what we need,

nose returns

Quote from: Arthur on December 12, 2018, 07:02:18 PM
...leicester could have and should have been ouut of site in the first 25 minutes and the goalkeeper had loads to do...

Looking at the Offal,

http://www.fulhamfc.com/first-team/2018_2019/league/home/leicester-city#matchstatistics

keep telling yourself that, I was at the game and leicester were totally on top for 25 mins, if they would have had the full team out, i.e. vardy for instance it could have been very different. I am not saying negative things because I want bad things for us. But I keep hearing about a revival that I am not seeing and 9 goals in four games, that could easilly jave been worse, does not suggest.

In the second-half, there was their goal (obviously) and two late efforts: 'Rico was busy in the first of four minutes added on at the end, first getting a firm hand on Gray's dangerous attempt, before denying Maddison.'

If the statistics/match report are correct, Rico didn't, as you imagine, have 'loads to do' in the opening 25 minutes. Two saves, that's all.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: alfie on December 10, 2018, 10:04:15 AM
Quote from: Take Me Home MAF on December 10, 2018, 09:59:23 AM
Slavisa would have got 4 points from those 4 games.

He should of at least been given 1 more game. Southampton held off, and have now brought in arguably a more forward thinking manager who is up for the battle.

We are down unless the Khans buy better players in Jan for certain positions - ironically for some of the positions we have just spent money on
Well that is another poor opening line, you cannot possibly know how many points Slavisa would have got, he may not have got any, regardless of who comes in we are not down yet, the points between the bottom 6 clubs is minimal.

:plus one:
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

MJG

Quote from: nose on December 12, 2018, 10:04:11 PM
Quote from: Arthur on December 12, 2018, 07:02:18 PM

Looking at the Offal,

keep telling yourself that, I was at the game and leicester were totally on top for 25 mins, if they would have had the full team out, i.e. vardy for instance it could have been very different. I am not saying negative things because I want bad things for us. But I keep hearing about a revival that I am not seeing and 9 goals in four games, that could easilly jave been worse, does not suggest.

We were slow to start that game but in fact in the first 25 minutes we both had 4 shots each.
Just the views of a long term fan

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Skatzoffc on December 13, 2018, 12:15:48 PM
Quote from: alfie on December 10, 2018, 10:04:15 AM
Quote from: Take Me Home MAF on December 10, 2018, 09:59:23 AM
Slavisa would have got 4 points from those 4 games.

He should of at least been given 1 more game. Southampton held off, and have now brought in arguably a more forward thinking manager who is up for the battle.

We are down unless the Khans buy better players in Jan for certain positions - ironically for some of the positions we have just spent money on
Well that is another poor opening line, you cannot possibly know how many points Slavisa would have got, he may not have got any, regardless of who comes in we are not down yet, the points between the bottom 6 clubs is minimal.

:plus one:

Slavisa's fans say, he needed better players, more time and easier games. Slavisa got 5 points in 12 games

Raneri's fan say, he has the same players, less time and harder games. Raneri got 4 points in 4 games

Slavisa could be a great coach, if he learns how to run a pre-season camp that doesn't go from August to October.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on December 13, 2018, 12:35:41 PM
Slavisa could be a great coach, if he learns how to run a pre-season camp that doesn't go from August to October.

Agree, the 2 new signings that were here by mid July would have benefitted hugely from a better pre-season camp. Might not have helped the other 10 though. 

Skatzoffc

imo Leicester were very poor against us, probably because of the lack of Vardy.
They had a good spell but we could and should have won by a few goals. We created chances but wasted them.
They spent most of the game kicking it time after time into touch.
lol

My point is, if we had taken those chances I think more on here would see CR's first 4 games as a definite improvement, i.e two wins in 4 games.

The idea of another large influx of players is worrying for me tho. Might even put the new coach back to square one.
A choice DM (i.e. Drinkwater) and a known quantity Defender would help us no end. But they have to be proven/dependable PL quality especially in CR's eyes.

Personally I believe the team ethic is much improved. Defending from the front, more last ditch blocks/tackles from all in the team.
That is quite plain for me to see (apart from the Manure game tho).

So I'll wait for the next 4 games to see what we can get and judge then. it's far too early at the moment for me to berate CR.

COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on December 13, 2018, 12:49:01 PM

Agree, the 2 new signings that were here by mid July would have benefitted hugely from a better pre-season camp. Might not have helped the other 10 though. 
Of course the bottom line of all this is that the Club has to run in such a way to have a meaningful pre-season that means, from day one of a season, the main part of the first team squad is settled, and that is true of any manager from A-Z.  Throughout Jokanovic's era we seemed ill prepared when it came to getting fail safe signings through the door when we needed them and in the positions we needed them.  I think the problem with the present season was just too many changes to personnel, be they players or coaches, for there to be anything but a well prepared squad ready to go from the blocks. Was Jokanovic singularly responsible for that mess - I think (and believe) not.   We shall see if January brings in early signings.

alfie

Quote from: toshes mate on December 13, 2018, 01:41:13 PM
Quote from: Statto on December 13, 2018, 12:49:01 PM

Of course the bottom line of all this is that the Club has to run in such a way to have a meaningful pre-season that means, from day one of a season, the main part of the first team squad is settled, and that is true of any manager from A-Z.  Throughout Jokanovic's era we seemed ill prepared when it came to getting fail safe signings through the door when we needed them and in the positions we needed them.  I think the problem with the present season was just too many changes to personnel, be they players or coaches, for there to be anything but a well prepared squad ready to go from the blocks. Was Jokanovic singularly responsible for that mess - I think (and believe) not.   We shall see if January brings in early signings.
Partly responsible?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Brawn

I have to say that since Ranieri was the man I wanted to replace Slavisa with, I am so far not disappointed by what I've seen. We have shown green shoots of recovery although we just need to be more consistent and cut out the bad periods. We had one shot on target against Leicester in the second half; under Slav you would have taken a point, under Claudio we're disappointed with one.

Claudio has kept the defensive lineup consistent, which Slav didn't, and is trying to allow a partnership to build at CB between Mawson and AN Other. I was initially in favour of this being Ream, but given his poor performance at the weekend with MLM out I'm not sure I would keep him now. He's made Chambers look a different player at centre-mid.

The fact is that a lot of people, myself included, are now feeling that West Ham on Saturday is a banker for a home win, by which time he'll have outdone Slav's points tally this season already.

Tactically, Ranieri is changing formations during the match: he has a plan B, something Slavisa sorely lacked, even in the Championship. He makes the right subs at the right time as well and the defence isn't showing the gaping holes it did under Slav (Bournemouth in particular).

I'm loving Ranieri's Fulham.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Brawn on December 13, 2018, 03:41:12 PM
I have to say that since Ranieri was the man I wanted to replace Slavisa with, I am so far not disappointed by what I've seen. We have shown green shoots of recovery although we just need to be more consistent and cut out the bad periods. We had one shot on target against Leicester in the second half; under Slav you would have taken a point, under Claudio we're disappointed with one.

Claudio has kept the defensive lineup consistent, which Slav didn't, and is trying to allow a partnership to build at CB between Mawson and AN Other. I was initially in favour of this being Ream, but given his poor performance at the weekend with MLM out I'm not sure I would keep him now. He's made Chambers look a different player at centre-mid.

The fact is that a lot of people, myself included, are now feeling that West Ham on Saturday is a banker for a home win, by which time he'll have outdone Slav's points tally this season already.

Tactically, Ranieri is changing formations during the match: he has a plan B, something Slavisa sorely lacked, even in the Championship. He makes the right subs at the right time as well and the defence isn't showing the gaping holes it did under Slav (Bournemouth in particular).

I'm loving Ranieri's Fulham.

Is this the general feeling? Because I am already nervous and doesn't feel that at all. West Ham are an in form team, and regardless of recent improvements, I feel that a win would be a very good result. I believe that we can definately win, but a decently played draw would be ok in principle. Although I am aware that we need to start picking up points, and hope that we can have that little bt of luck that has been sorely missing so far.