watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If we manage to stay up?

Started by Fulham76, December 10, 2018, 10:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulham76

Will that be a greater escape than the great escape under Roy?

MJG

For the record, in the great escape season we had 15 points at end of the 20th game and sat in 19th place.

At this stage (16 games) we had 13 points and sat in 17th.
Just the views of a long term fan

Jimpav

I dont think so.

Roy wasn't appointed until after Boxing Day so he had a lot less time to work with.

Not only that but we had to win away twice in our last three games to have any chance of survival.

To put this in context we had not won away all season, and only once in two of the previous seasons.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Jimpav on December 10, 2018, 10:31:32 AM

I dont think so.

Roy wasn't appointed until after Boxing Day so he had a lot less time to work with.

Not only that but we had to win away twice in our last three games to have any chance of survival.

To put this in context we had not won away all season, and only once in two of the previous seasons.

:plus one:  Btw the way Jimpav, I think yours is undoubtedly the best avatar on this board.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Jimpav

Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 10, 2018, 10:48:13 AM
Quote from: Jimpav on December 10, 2018, 10:31:32 AM

I dont think so.

:plus one:  Btw the way Jimpav, I think yours is undoubtedly the best avatar on this board.

Thank you, it's from a fridge magnet - I don't think there's ever been a calm moment as a Fulham fan. Even when things are going well!

RaySmith

What happened under Roy was an immense , and pretty unique- achievement - the way he organised us defensively, along with a bit of good fortune. I was at  that incredible turn around at City - no one  at the game would have believed that could happen after the first half. But Roy obviously had the team believing, they kept going, and look what happened.

But now there is a different set of circumstances, a new challenge, and I believe that  under CR we can do it. I hope it won't need to be as dramatic as the Great Escape, going right down to the  wire, but that we can steadily start getting points, while, hopefully, others around us fail.

But forget the other teams - we  need to concentrate on our own performances, build good habits, and have self belief - and with  the incredible Fulham support behind the team, we can, and will,  survive.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on December 10, 2018, 12:32:41 PM
What happened under Roy was an immense , and pretty unique- achievement - the way he organised us defensively, along with a bit of good fortune. I was at  that incredible turn around at City - no one  at the game would have believed that could happen after the first half. But Roy obviously had the team believing, they kept going, and look what happened.

But now there is a different set of circumstances, a new challenge, and I believe that  under CR we can do it. I hope it won't need to be as dramatic as the Great Escape, going right down to the  wire, but that we can steadily start getting points, while, hopefully, others around us fail.

But forget the other teams - we  need to concentrate on our own performances, build good habits, and have self belief - and with  the incredible Fulham support behind the team, we can, and will,  survive.

I have to say that your wise words and observations on this topic Ray, are from the heart, and as level headed and as transparent as you will find, and I agree with every word.
This weekend just gone by was not Fulhams finest hour, however, your words of wisdom, have shown that there is hope and belief and confidence, because there has to be, and there shall be.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

nose returns

Quote from: RaySmith on December 10, 2018, 12:32:41 PM

roy didn't like kamara and so he did not start. when he was forced to bring him on at 63 minutes it all changed.

ex-Pat

We are not staying up,get used to it our team is under qualified, Rico is our only consistent performer how sad is that. 

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: ex-Pat on December 10, 2018, 02:24:08 PM
We are not staying up,get used to it our team is under qualified, Rico is our only consistent performer how sad is that.
That's the spirit! Bet Roy told the players that when he came in too, seemed to do the trick.

ex-Pat

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 10, 2018, 02:26:18 PM
That's the spirit! Bet Roy told the players that when he came in too, seemed to do the trick.
No point in dreaming, we can't compete we are a great Championship side.

gerrys

The Great Escape was back in the 60's....in our last 13 games we got 20 points out of a possible 26 to stay up by the skin of our teeth.......Northampton Town, who had come up in successive seasons from the fourth division, we straight back down there...

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: gerrys on December 10, 2018, 02:50:03 PM
The Great Escape was back in the 60's....in our last 13 games we got 20 points out of a possible 26 to stay up by the skin of our teeth.......Northampton Town, who had come up in successive seasons from the fourth division, we straight back down there...
Agreed, I was there watching every match, at one point we were dead and buried, but suddenly we just kept on winning unbelievable. That was when there was only two points for a win, and substitutes had not been introduced, everyone played 90 mins, whether they were injured or not, on muddy pitches.
That last match of the season at the Cobblers Ground Northampton Town when we won 4 2 to keep us up and send them down was unbelievable, what a day.
Yes that was the Greatest Escape of all time.

Never forget your Roots.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: ex-Pat on December 10, 2018, 02:44:47 PM
No offence mate but I'm glad you're not our manager

ex-Pat

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 10, 2018, 03:33:20 PM
Quote from: ex-Pat on December 10, 2018, 02:44:47 PM
No offence mate but I'm glad you're not our manager

I truly hope I am so wrong Mate, I've managed teams that first half this week was worse than any pub team I've been involved with.

nose returns

that was exciting. i well remeber the liverpool game nd as I remeber things leeds were the only real fly in the ointment in that run in, they were the stand out team for me that season however it was imense... yet 2008 has a special place in the heart in the portsmouth sun

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 10, 2018, 03:06:07 PM
Agreed, I was there watching every match, at one point we were dead and buried, but suddenly we just kept on winning unbelievable. That was when there was only two points for a win, and substitutes had not been introduced, everyone played 90 mins, whether they were injured or not, on muddy pitches.
That last match of the season at the Cobblers Ground Northampton Town when we won 4 2 to keep us up and send them down was unbelievable, what a day.
Remember that game at Northampton well, Steve Earl had a blinder and I had the honour of standing at the next urinal  to Bobby  Robson in the Motor Way Service Station on the way home.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on December 10, 2018, 06:31:25 PM
Remember that game at Northampton well, Steve Earl had a blinder and I had the honour of standing at the next urinal  to Bobby  Robson in the Motor Way Service Station on the way home.

That is indeed an honour.

Never forget your Roots.

filham

We really don't seem to have the right players to compete in the premier league, Survival would surely go down as yet another Great Escape.

ron

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 10, 2018, 06:40:18 PM
Quote from: filham on December 10, 2018, 06:31:25 PM

That is indeed an honour.

When you're with someone like Bobby, urine exalted company.....