watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by georgiajohn, December 09, 2018, 01:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgiajohn

Good morning from Atlanta, strange day for me, watching Fulham play so bad then watching Atlanta winning the MLS cup in front of 73,000. I know back home MLS is thought of as a joke league, but you have got to be impressed with the way this city as embraced this team and the game, they have averaged 53,000 a game which makes them 17th in the World, and the atmosphere at the games as been second to none. I have been in Atlanta since 1983 and started a youth league in 88 which as grown to thousands of kids playing the game, the league even produced one of Atlanta's players, and some of the officials in the league. Just to let you know I am a Fulham fan, started going to their games in 1953, yes 53, saw all those names, and traveled with the lads in the 60's and 70's so I do know what it is like to be a Fulham supporter, but yesterday was one strange day.

NJFulham

Congrats.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Whitesideup

Quote from: georgiajohn on December 09, 2018, 01:34:20 PM
Good morning from Atlanta, strange day for me, watching Fulham play so bad then watching Atlanta winning the MLS cup in front of 73,000. I know back home MLS is thought of as a joke league, but you have got to be impressed with the way this city as embraced this team and the game, they have averaged 53,000 a game which makes them 17th in the World, and the atmosphere at the games as been second to none. I have been in Atlanta since 1983 and started a youth league in 88 which as grown to thousands of kids playing the game, the league even produced one of Atlanta's players, and some of the officials in the league. Just to let you know I am a Fulham fan, started going to their games in 1953, yes 53, saw all those names, and traveled with the lads in the 60's and 70's so I do know what it is like to be a Fulham supporter, but yesterday was one strange day.
Happy for you that you were able to get some positives out of the day. We are all doing our impersonations of Mr Gloom  .. but we will bounce back to cheer on the boys to victory over West Ham and start our relentless march to mid-table safety.

Buffalo76

Carlos Bocanegra is technical director. Maybe Tony Khan could learn a few things off him.

KJS

Its still a Mickey Mouse league where no team is relegated so has no pressure on them!!

ToodlesMcToot

I'm very impressed myself. I had bought into the "Atlanta isn't a good sports town" idea and worried that the support would wane. But, it's been outstanding.

What Eales, Bocanegra and Martino have built in two seasons has been great to witness and repaid the Atlanta faithful well beyond expectation.

And, honestly, who cares what others think about the league or Atlanta, we won a title and will be playing in Champions League. Our matches are incredibly entertaining and we play good football.

I'm equally proud of both my clubs.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Jimpav

That's an impressive turn out.

Every league had to start somewhere, so I don't get the snobbery surrounding MLS.

jarv

I have not been to a match for 3 years. New England Revolution are just rubbish (maybe better now). Poor atmosphere in a big ugly stadium, played on astroturf which is great for amateurs (smooth flat surface) but terrible for professionals. Where the ball goes next is anybody's guess.

_Putney_

Quote from: Jimpav on December 11, 2018, 02:28:56 PM

Every league had to start somewhere, so I don't get the snobbery surrounding MLS.

I think it's not because the league is starting... I think MLS has often appeared desperate to already be at the same level as Europe in terms of overall culture.  They went through a period (and might still be in it) where teams are named like they're European teams.  MLS fans (albeit a small percentage of those who attend) fake English accents and fight in Ultra groups.  Other things along those lines.  Of course, it's that type of thing that makes the news here and is what people react to.  USL (ok not MLS) is being split and called Championship, League 1, and League 2.  Their own fans constantly compare their statistics to the likes of European statistics (news headlines like: Atlanta brings in more fans than Chelsea!).

I would consider any snobbery a compliment to the US in that it has reached a level where people recognise it.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: _Putney_ on December 11, 2018, 03:23:31 PM

I think it's not because the league is starting... I think MLS has often appeared desperate to already be at the same level as Europe in terms of overall culture.  They went through a period (and might still be in it) where teams are named like they're European teams.  MLS fans (albeit a small percentage of those who attend) fake English accents and fight in Ultra groups.  Other things along those lines.  Of course, it's that type of thing that makes the news here and is what people react to.  USL (ok not MLS) is being split and called Championship, League 1, and League 2.  Their own fans constantly compare their statistics to the likes of European statistics (news headlines like: Atlanta brings in more fans than Chelsea!).

I would consider any snobbery a compliment to the US in that it has reached a level where people recognise it.

While there certainly is a strong supporters culture in MLS, I've not of heard of any brawls or organized confrontation between SGs, Firms or Ultras groups. Of course there is the 'little brother' sensibility, copying of more established leagues/cultures. As far as the club names go, what should they do? If they name themselves after some regional animal or generic human character, they'll be branded as copying NFL, NBA or baseball. From a marketing perspective, it would seem they are better off following in European footsteps. Have to admit the USL delineation's are rather overt copying and somewhat silly, considering they've left out the most important bit.....promotion and relegation.

BTW, I would love to run into a Yank soccer supporter faking an English accent. Could use a good laugh.

KJS

I would take all American sports a bit more seriously if they actually had Promotion and Relegation instead of a closed shop league.

_Putney_

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 11, 2018, 03:42:27 PM

While there certainly is a strong supporters culture in MLS, I've not of heard of any brawls or organized confrontation between SGs, Firms or Ultras groups. Of course there is the 'little brother' sensibility, copying of more established leagues/cultures. As far as the club names go, what should they do? If they name themselves after some regional animal or generic human character, they'll be branded as copying NFL, NBA or baseball. From a marketing perspective, it would seem they are better off following in European footsteps. Have to admit the USL delineation's are rather overt copying and somewhat silly, considering they've left out the most important bit.....promotion and relegation.

BTW, I would love to run into a Yank soccer supporter faking an English accent. Could use a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZTFGloAkcg  'who are ya'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPwLncJDDss 'the referee's a winker/wanka'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4SpjMinlQ

The USL is actually planning to have promotion/relegation within those divisions, so a massive positive there.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: _Putney_ on December 11, 2018, 03:49:41 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 11, 2018, 03:42:27 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZTFGloAkcg  'who are ya'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPwLncJDDss 'the referee's a winker/wanka'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4SpjMinlQ

The USL league is actually planning to have promotion/relegation within those divisions, so a massive positive there.

I should have said that I want to see it in person....because I want to be able to point and laugh.  :005:

Didn't realize that about the USL divisions. Hopefully this is a test bed for including MLS at some point in the distant future. No matter how that experiment works out, MLS leadership benefits. If it falls flat and doesn't garner a large interest, they have their "I told you it wouldn't work" moment and can continue on as they have. If it does work (I hope it does), then they have their "this was the long term plan all along" moment and can adopt it. Hopefully, the compelling nature of pro/rel wins out at some point. It only strengthened my feelings for Fulham and ultimately pulled $'s from my wallet that I would not normally have spent...to watch Championship football. Hopefully MLS comes around to copying the most important characteristic of European football some day.