watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Craven Cottage will only Have 3 Stands Open for 2 years During Development

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, December 12, 2018, 01:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/new-fulham-stadium-craven-cottage-will-have-just-three-stands-for-two-seasons-during-100m-a4014466.html

I saw this earlier and surprised to find it was not being discussed here (yet).

It really is odd being at a ground with only three sides, I remember being at Watford a few years ago when they had the same thing, don't know how long it went on for, as I just popped along to a game and it really felt rather bizarre that time.

I think for two years it will be rather odd, but worth it in the end for sure. I hope when the Riverside is demolished there is a period of time when One can look out from another stand and see over the rubble to the river.

Roberty

Until 1994, Northampton use to play in a three-sided stadium when they shared the County Ground with the county cricket club
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Neil D

Interesting.  It's an ok stand but the extra capacity is welcome.  However, it would be nice if they could find a way of supporting the Johnny Haynes roof and get rid of the view-restricting pylons. That can't be an overly complex task, surely?  I know about the listed status stuff but restricted views in this day and age...

SuffolkWhite

I think the other question will be the need for tickets with a reduced capacity, Season Tickets will be at a premium for next season.

I would consider sharing a season ticket with someone next season just so I get to watch some games as I will not be able to afford a full ST next year..
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

ron

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on December 12, 2018, 01:56:19 AM
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/new-fulham-stadium-craven-cottage-will-have-just-three-stands-for-two-seasons-during-100m-a4014466.html

It really is odd being at a ground with only three sides, I remember being at Watford a few years ago when they had the same thing, don't know how long it went on for, as I just popped along to a game and it really felt rather bizarre that time.

I think for two years it will be rather odd, but worth it in the end for sure. I hope when the Riverside is demolished there is a period of time when One can look out from another stand and see over the rubble to the river.

Put the flags back for a while a la 1960's and hope the Fulham flag gets near the half way line sometime soon....

PS. You need to be fairly old to get that one........

N_O_W_S

Watford's went on for years but it was because the stand was not safe and they were raising funds before the new stand was built. It wasn't to bad, just a bit weird to have an empty side!

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Roberty mentions the Northanpton cricket ground with three sides and for the relegation avoiding clash in the 1960s I stood on their primitive temporary stand which actually ran along the cricket pitch.
It must have ruined the cricket area.

filham

Surprised small summer developments in other areas are not being carried out first to give some increased capacity while the main stand is out of action.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Roberty on December 12, 2018, 06:03:42 AM
Until 1994, Northampton use to play in a three-sided stadium when they shared the County Ground with the county cricket club

I was at a match in the 60s at the Cobblers ground whilst a Cricket Match was taking place next door, and I was standing in the right place at the right time, and took a splendid catch at Deep Extra Cover.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Sheffield United's Bramall Lane was the same sharing with Yorkshire cricket.

HV71

Ara's bacon crisps

Quote from: HV71 on December 12, 2018, 03:19:51 PM
Oxford United had an open end for ages
Still have. Nearest ground to where I live now and I nip up there occasionally. Half a dozen balls a game land on cars parked just over the low fence behind the goal, the whole ground lacks any decent atmosphere because of the open end and the wind whips across the ground because of the big gap  making it a) freezing even on a warm day and b) difficult to play any decent controlled football. Oxford have been trying to buy a plot of land to build a new ground for some time - Kassam still owns the freehold and therefore gets almost all the income from sales inside the ground - but they have met resistance from the council, characterised by one councillor asking 'how many grounds do you want?'

King_Crud

Central Coast Stadium in Australia has three sides because of a road and water getting in the way of building on the 4th side

KJS

Quote from: filham on December 12, 2018, 12:23:45 PM
Surprised small summer developments in other areas are not being carried out first to give some increased capacity while the main stand is out of action.

Such as??

gerrys

Quote from: ron on December 12, 2018, 11:25:53 AM

Put the flags back for a while a la 1960's and hope the Fulham flag gets near the half way line sometime soon....

PS. You need to be fairly old to get that one........

:003: anywhere will do as long as it's not one of the 3 at the relegation end.....top would be nice tho'......

MJG

Quote from: KJS on December 13, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Such as??
I was wondering that, cant think of anywhere within the remaining part of theground they could put more seats which would not impact on other things such as safety and crowd walkways and exits.
Just the views of a long term fan

King_Crud

Quote from: MJG on December 13, 2018, 10:34:52 AM

Such as??
I was wondering that, cant think of anywhere within the remaining part of theground they could put more seats which would not impact on other things such as safety and crowd walkways and exits.

do it in shifts, as people leave early because they're fed up with the on field action then have backups to take their seats

MJG

Quote from: King_Crud on December 13, 2018, 10:41:47 AM
Quote from: MJG on December 13, 2018, 10:34:52 AM

Such as??

do it in shifts, as people leave early because they're fed up with the on field action then have backups to take their seats
Do you want the first or second half?
Just the views of a long term fan

DevonFFC

I was at Plymouth Argyle last week and they are playing with three sides as the grand stand is being rebuilt

YankeeJim

A lot of pointy ball college stadiums are built as a horseshoe, using the one end for locker rooms and such. I can't imagine what it would be like if the side that is closed is one of the sidelines. That would be weird. I'd think it would just kill any atmosphere.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.