more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our problem is midfield

Started by ffcne, December 26, 2018, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

I thought Seri did his job fine today.

I'm of the camp that less Seri on the ball is better for the entire squad defensively.   If Claudio only wants him to hold shape and make the easy pass I'm all for it.

Claudio's Leicester squad never dominated posession so I don't expect the Whites to do it either.

I do believe though, that if the idea is for Seri to hold position, you can get a better qualified defensive midfielder for about 10 million that can do an even better job of it.

Pair Chambers with someone whose only job is to to the 5 yard pass, hold position and break up attacks and the team would be better defensively imo.

We weren't playing possession football today so I'm not sure why there is a need to blame the midfield.    For the most part they did their job.

Joe Bryan and Seri weren't brought in to defend though.   They are attacking threats.

We need defenders in those positions.

FulhamKC

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on December 26, 2018, 06:16:30 PM

Pair Chambers with someone whose only job is to to the 5 yard pass, hold position and break up attacks and the team would be better defensively imo.

For me, that would be KMac. Would solve the captaincy issue, too.

Carborundum

The problem is defence.  We are shoring up the defence with a deep lying midfield, basically cutting out the option of playing through midfield and channeling everything through the marvellous Mitrovic.  Chambers and Seri did a good job today.  Ream and Christie were bested and will be against a dozen teams in this division.

Porthogs FC

When our clearing headers stop being a panicked clear and more of a planned header our game will change immensely. Think this team is way more solid now, defensively. It's time to move that defensive solidify into planned tactical movements.

Statto

Agree with the majority on here - the stats mentioned by the OP are just a reflection of us allowing Wolves to do what we used to do so often - pass it around in our own half aimlessly without creating any chances.

Our midfield is fine. The fact that even Cairney can't get into our midfield now says it all. He is a good player.

Our midfielders are much better than our wing backs, than our centre backs, and we also only have one good striker. So midfield is lowest priority for recruitment IMO.

Matt10

Quote from: Statto on December 26, 2018, 09:03:07 PM
Agree with the majority on here - the stats mentioned by the OP are just a reflection of us allowing Wolves to do what we used to do so often - pass it around in our own half aimlessly without creating any chances.

Our midfield is fine. The fact that even Cairney can't get into our midfield now says it all. He is a good player.

Our midfielders are much better than our wing backs, than our centre backs, and we also only have one good striker. So midfield is lowest priority for recruitment IMO.

100% agree.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: FulhamKC on December 26, 2018, 07:16:17 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on December 26, 2018, 06:16:30 PM

For me, that would be KMac. Would solve the captaincy issue, too.

If we're starting McDonald, we're getting relegated. Simple.

toshes mate

Quote from: Deeping_white on December 26, 2018, 02:46:09 PM
Quote from: alfie on December 26, 2018, 02:43:31 PM
Quote from: ffcne on December 26, 2018, 02:40:40 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on December 26, 2018, 02:37:12 PM
Yeah and what's your point? They made less chances in the same half than we did, it's like us under Slav sometimes, you can have as many touches as you like but it's what you do with it that counts, namely they still only scored once and so did we

Touches give you possession.

SERI 42 touches in 90 minutes for a midfieder
You could have 100 touches but that does not mean you have possession

Two teams with different styles, it was abundantly obvious we wanted the ball to Mitro early to bully their defenders and it worked and we created so many chances but just couldn't take them. We're not playing possession football anymore because it wasn't working...
But, by the same token, we are not taking chances because we are not making so many clear cut opportunities where conversion to goals have a better ratio.  There is more caution at the back making us harder to penetrate but our opponents still managed to do it on far too many occasions yesterday.  I thought yesterday was a backward step in Ranieri's era, especially following the substitutions.  I thought Sess should have been played from either the start of the game or from half time onward because Schurrle, in my impression, is too much of a luxury in a side that really has to work harder to make things happen.  Cairney, likewise, is not hard working enough to my taste.