watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it a price worth paying?

Started by Whitesideup, December 28, 2018, 11:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelH5

Yes it is 100%. I find a 1-1 Vs wolves way more entertaining than a 2-0 Vs Rotherham
I was there, standing in the Putney end

grandad

I never get bored giving all my support to the club. I would rather play boring & stay up than play like we were able to do last season & get relegated.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Riverside

The football maybe less pretty but that does not mean boring .
None of the Wolves game was boring - plenty of chances both ends and a gripping battle

The second half of West Ham though was boring . No chances no drama . Game was over at half time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camel Club

This season has become all about survival (maybe it always was or should have been). Until we become an established PL side again (fingers crossed) we should put on hold any thought that we will be playing the Total Football witnessed towards the end of last season in a division that has never been more detached from the league above in my opinion.   

davew

Quote from: filham on December 28, 2018, 11:40:09 AM
Remember the Leicester tactics when they won the Premier League, we are on a similar course.

Quote of the season, I like your style!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

bill taylors apprentice

Is what a price worth paying?

Bored? would you rather we roll over again and again?

Very strange comment when you're fighting for survival at the top table!

Carborundum

Sterile passing around the back across midfield even on the outskirts of the penalty area can be a big yawn.  Watching players slow the game down by shifting to their only decent foot drives me bananas.  Watching defending done well is rather enjoyable.  Watching defending done badly is like a slow motion car crash.  Watching Mitrovic and AK47 remains an absolute pleasure.

We are, to my mind, rather better to watch than we were.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Quote from: toshes mate on December 28, 2018, 02:01:58 PM

Can this squad do the business via ugly football?  We have to win games to get out of trouble.  Nineteen points from nineteen clean sheets isn't going to help. 

Actually that might Just be enough to keep us up.

hovewhite

For so called boring games I'd take a similar performance and a 1-0 victory.coyw

WindyCity

Quote from: Whitesideup on December 28, 2018, 11:18:39 AM
Frankly I was bored at times in the Wolves match. Our preferred formation now includes 6 defenders and our tactics even at home are to tie the opponents down in our own half, and hope for a breakaway. And it nearly worked !!  We had a couple of really good fast breaks, one in the first half and two in the second, (I am counting Rico's kick up to Mitrovic in the final minute or two, that Mitro did brilliantly with and was unlucky not to score the winner).

On the basis that we are not good enough to compete in footballing terms with most of the division, we have given up trying and now rely on parking the bus and hoping that fast break-outs will lead to one or two goals that could be enough to win the game.

So is this change in tactics worth the price?

I also wonder whether the tactic will be the same when we face a team that Ranieri may think are also short of the premier league footballing quality - eg Huddersfield.

A three point result is never boring, and FFC was only a handful of minutes away from achieving that v Wolves.  Not sure why you're complaining.  We see this sort of defensive style of play all the time in this league.  Where heavily favored/better teams control possession by a wide margin yet sometimes end up with a loss or draw, as their opponent takes advantage of a few opportunities.  But give me three points with this FFC side and I'll happily be bored out of my mind.......

Facts Not Fiction

Survival is the only aim this season.

Playing good football needs time. Jokanovic tried to implement it quickly, but you become far to simple to suss out.

Whitesideup

Really good comments in response to what was an open question.  Some people disagreed with the fact that at times I thought the game rather less than interesting. These moments were in the second half when Wolves were dominating possession and we just sat back while they played the ball around... without posing any real threat.  The fact that we were not behind (at that stage) and you are happy with that, then that's absolutely fine. I'm not even saying I'm that unhappy, just that for me, too much of that, sitting back watching the oppo play meaninglessly with the ball, well, frankly, it's a bit dull. I'm not saying that's what we should not be doing, just that, well, it's dull. And in my original post I said "at times" - not that the whole game was like that. And there were some good moments in the second half. However, you might like to note that for the impartial observer the game was described as "drab".  The description of our away draw at Newcastle was described as worse. Do we care? No. We got a point and could have come away with all three.

However, if we play drab football and lose tomorrow, then I will be upset. Mind you, if we play good football and lose, I will be upset. If we draw, I will be upset.  If we don't play that well, but win ... it partially answers my question. God, we need 3 points tomorrow.  COYW !!!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on December 28, 2018, 11:51:26 AM
I find it boring to keep losing.
If Fulham are at least in with chance of a positive result, then I'm not bothered how we get it, and am fully absorbed in the struggle, getting behind the team I support.

For me , as a fan, the main thing I want from going to see Fulham play, is  to cheer them on to, hopefully, a win.

Going to Fulham mainly  to see an entertaining game of football, indicates a different type of fan, I suppose, one to whom the result isn't the most important thing, and is, presumably, not that bothered if we are relegated - as long as they can still see a game of entertaining football at the Cottage.

Nice comments Ray, I like the line regarding " I find it boring to keep losing ", which also sums up my feelings.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fernhurst

Did anyone watch Southampton v West Ham? Although looking tired (a fate I fear for us today) West Ham had one jewel (Anderson) that secured the points for them. The sort of match winning performance that I expected Seri may have been capable of producing this season.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Holders on December 28, 2018, 02:05:58 PM
One has to accept that having a seat at the top table isn't necessarily as much fun as having a drink with the lads (if you get the metaphor). It depends where you want to sit.

Absolutely brilliant metaphor. Well played sir