News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What is Fulham's identity as a Football Club?

Started by AnOldBrownie, December 30, 2018, 08:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

I was just listening to the Fulhamish podcast and they mentioned "Fulham identity".

Before I started following Fulham I was a five year, dedicated Manchester United fan who never really experienced Manchester United's "identity" because their last 3 managers weren't considered "Alex Ferguson" who laid the blue print for "Manchester United Football".

I fell for Fulham last year after watching several of last season's games and watching Slav football which I thought was a component of "Fulham's identity".    Apparently it wasn't.   It was just the play style of the moment.

So...educate this newbie.    What is the standard for Fulham football?   Is there one?

If there is a book I can purchase to read up on it I'll be happy to.

I currently own "Being Fulham" and the "Fulham FC Miscellany" (which I don't really rate that much).

Fulham Tup North

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

One James stannard

Little family club down by the river...... That I'll do me nicely.

If you see anyone outside of the Fulham postcode/grounds proudly wearing the badge you give a nod a smile or have a little chat about our fantastic club.

I for one never want that uniqueness to change.

nose returns

In the words of the song
We are family
If you fell in love because of slavas football, you may fall outof love
If you fell in love for a more indeterminate reason then you are hooked.
You cannot describe our identity in words but we all know what it means.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: nose on December 30, 2018, 09:35:06 PM
In the words of the song
We are family
You're saying the club doesn't want or need new fans that aren't from London?   Am I taking what you typed incorrectly?

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Peabody

As someone who first watched Fulham in 1946, I have never ever thought about 'Fulam's identity'. Maybe I should have but as the question has been asked, well, I'll give it a go. All of us made a choice when we supported Fulham, we could have gone for any of the bigger clubs but we didn't, we chose Fulham. Those of us who lived locally had a wide choice but to chose f om but again, we chose Fulham. Why? Well in my case it was when I entered that ground, even before a ball was kicked, I was hooked, hook line and sinker, I was well and truly hooked. A football ground with a house in the corner, true Goodison Park has a chapel in the corner but I didn't know that then.

So, my Fulham identity is Quirky.

Fulham 442

Little family club down by the river...... That I'll do me nicely.

If you see anyone outside of the Fulham postcode/grounds proudly wearing the badge you give a nod a smile or have a little chat about our fantastic club.

I for one never want that uniqueness to change.

Sums it up perfectly for me.  I am always proud to say I am a Fulham supporter for these reasons.

Burt

The interesting thing is what opposition fans say about us, as you get a good sense through that as well.

I have yet to meet another fan who say anything other than it's a great day out, fab setting, traditional rather than identikit stadium, and a good atmosphere (we may not be the loudest bunch, but there's rarely any trouble).

ffcthereligion

Charming, traditional, unique, friendly, everyone's second club, small yet punches above its weight. Never expecting always believing

General

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on December 30, 2018, 10:03:48 PM
Quote from: nose on December 30, 2018, 09:35:06 PM
In the words of the song
We are family
You're saying the club doesn't want or need new fans that aren't from London?   Am I taking what you typed incorrectly?

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

No - whilst I get how you'd interpret what he said that way... I think what he means to say is that he hopes it was or at least is more than a footballing philosophy that has kept your interest and desire to be a Fulham fan. I've only been following the club for 20 odd years, and it's definitely a club to keep you engaged and with plenty to talk about... we do value playing football properly, but I can guarantee that an appreciation of fine football, which you'll see at the cottage every now and then and some spectacular evenings/games and atmosphere's - you've also got to be appreciative of the fact the club in the past has had it's fair share of ups and downs style wise and shoddy managers.

I think with the Khan's in control and if we stay up and keep Ranieri though that we'll start seeing more consistent good times though as the Khan's clearly are keen to invest in a way we haven't seen before and have stated time and time again that their ambition is greater than just making up the numbers.

Holders

Over the years the Fulham tendency has been to play good football rather than just boringly grind out results. There were exceptions, especially when we were really in the doldrums, but that's my perception over the years.

Slav's football was well and truly part of that but arguably doesn't cut it in the PL at present. For now, to save our season, we have to grind out the points and hope that it's enough. But it isn't really the Fulham way over time and, as a newcomer to our club, don't let the temporary expediency put you off and drive you into the arms of characterless moneybags clubs who don't have our sense of place or history.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

Not sure I can tell you why I chose FFC over any other football club. It's true I was born and bred in Fulham at a time when it was truly working class, and had the choice of Chelsea, Fulham or QPR as a kid.  Chelsea was closest, with FFC and QPR roughly equidistant, but there was just something about Fulham that made it the natural choice, a bit like how you choose just one girl from the many admirers you may hope to have.  When I first set eyes on the Stevenage Road facade I knew it was my football home and even now it takes my breath away each time I see it.   

Westlondonffc

Will you have a half and half scarf on when we (Fulham) play Man United?