watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

1st half v 2nd half

Started by Whitesideup, December 31, 2018, 04:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitesideup

I thought the first half was one of the worst halves of the season so far, eclipsing even the second half against Wolves. In both we were defending deep and not attempting to pressurise opponents almost until they reached our penalty area.

So 4 things:

1) I believe it was tactical and  the team have instructions to either sit back, or press.

2) For me, Kamara added pace and strength.. lacking in subtlety and finesse perhaps, but his directness certainly gave Huddersfield something to worry about, whereas in the first half they were more comfortable at the back.

3) I thought Cearney had a very good second half. As always he was hard to knock off the ball, but he showed more for the ball than Seri had playing in that position. And when he got it, I think his distribution was very sound. I think his contribution was one of the reasons we improved so much. (I have assumed we all agree we played better second half !!)

4) After the substitution of Mawson, Marchand did ok, the back 4 held solid and looked ok. However, we were playing the weakest attacking team in the league, and the absence of Mawson could be a problem for us.

Nothing too controversial I hope. Any views on the above?

YankeeJim

You might be right about first half instructions. I saw somewhere that CR commented that Mawson's injury forced him to delay inserting Sess at halftime. That may have been the plan or more likely the realization that starting Vietto  was a mistake.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

WindyCity

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 31, 2018, 06:13:20 PM
You might be right about first half instructions. I saw somewhere that CR commented that Mawson's injury forced him to delay inserting Sess at halftime. That may have been the plan or more likely the realization that starting Vietto  was a mistake.

Yes, that first half was tough to watch.  However, if anything positive can be gleaned from that display, it might be that, yes, there was a "plan" in place, and the players did follow it.  Of course, one wonders how necessary such an extreme approach was called for against a very weak side.  That said, the more pressing second half did produce some much better football and three points and a clean sheet.

cookieg

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 31, 2018, 06:13:20 PM

CR also mentioned that Mitro had had a virus so not sure if he would last the game hence also the late Sess substitution.

hovewhite

Quote from: Whitesideup on December 31, 2018, 04:25:11 PM
I thought the first half was one of the worst halves of the season so far, eclipsing even the second half against Wolves. In both we were defending deep and not attempting to pressurise opponents almost until they reached our penalty area.

So 4 things:

1) I believe it was tactical and  the team have instructions to either sit back, or press.

2) For me, Kamara added pace and strength.. lacking in subtlety and finesse perhaps, but his directness certainly gave Huddersfield something to worry about, whereas in the first half they were more comfortable at the back.

3) I thought Cearney had a very good second half. As always he was hard to knock off the ball, but he showed more for the ball than Seri had playing in that position. And when he got it, I think his distribution was very sound. I think his contribution was one of the reasons we improved so much. (I have assumed we all agree we played better second half !!)

4) After the substitution of Mawson, Marchand did ok, the back 4 held solid and looked ok. However, we were playing the weakest attacking team in the league, and the absence of Mawson could be a problem for us.

agree with most of it apart from one of the 1st half ever as  it was the worst 1st half of so called football ,more a 45 minutes of pain,but if Claudio succeeds in keeping the club up and allows Khan to put the the price of watching Fulham through the roof watching that rubbish then good luck to the rest of you as thankfully I won't be able to afford it which will be a blessing.

Whitesideup

Quote from: hovewhite on January 01, 2019, 07:54:22 AM
Quote from: Whitesideup on December 31, 2018, 04:25:11 PM

So 4 things:

agree with most of it apart from one of the 1st half ever as  it was the worst 1st half of so called football ,more a 45 minutes of pain,but if Claudio succeeds in keeping the club up and allows Khan to put the the price of watching Fulham through the roof watching that rubbish then good luck to the rest of you as thankfully I won't be able to afford it which will be a blessing.
Hovewhite, you make good points, and tickets now at £45 for the lowest category of visitor is a lot.. plus booking fee of course!

filham

We do seem to have a lot of games of two halves, eagerly awaiting to see us get it together for 90 minutes.