13 Watford 9 (-4)
14 Burnley 9 (-8, 9 goals for)
15 Fulham 9 (-8, 8 goals for)

16 Newcastle United 9 (-8, 6 goals for)
17 Southampton 8 (-4, 13 goals for)
18 Everton 8 (-4, 13 goals for)
19 Bournemouth 7 (-14)
20 Huddersfield Town 3 (-8)

So it's all Slav's fault, basically. Because since Ranieri took over we are where we thought we would be at the start of the season.

JoelH5

I was there, standing in the Putney end

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

BestOfBrede

cheese pie

So, It's Slav's fault?
He had 11 NEW players in the beginning, which never played together before...
CR came when those players already started to gel...
But, if you think it doesn't matter...I rest my case
I'm not sure that some people know much about football.

JoelH5

Quote from: cheese pie on January 08, 2019, 09:19:48 PM
So, It's Slav's fault?

Couldn't care less who's fault it is as long as we're improving.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

ffc73

Yep but Cardiff & Burnley are still above us in this table too. We need to our perform them otherwise it matters not

Strange that 4 of Southampton's points have come from beating Arsenal & drawing at Chelsea

aaronmcguigan

We've beaten 18th and 20th; and beat Burnley when they were 18th.

If you exclude the first game, the new manager bounce, only Huddersfield (zero points) and Everton (6points) have done worse

However , going by the figures showing improvement , had the Leicester and Newcastle games gone our way, we'd be in the top 10 on your form table

Arthur

Quote from: cheese pie on January 08, 2019, 09:19:48 PM
So, It's Slav's fault?

Without wishing to blame Slavisa, it's by no means clear that the team were starting to gel under Jokanovic when two of his final four league games included our losses to Cardiff and Huddersfield - arguably our two most disappointing performances before his sacking, if not of the season thus far.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Brawn on January 08, 2019, 08:23:58 PM
Position, Team, Pts, GD
1 Liverpool 24 (+21)
2 Tottenham Hotspur 21 (+15)
3 Manchester United 18 (+12)
4 Manchester City 18 (+8)
5 Arsenal 17 (+4)
6 Chelsea 16 (+3)
7 West Ham 16 (+1)
8 Crystal Palace 14 (+2)
9 Leicester City 14 (+1)
10 Wolverhampton Wanderers 13 (-1)
11 Brighton and Hove Albion 12 (0)
12 Cardiff City 10 (-8)
13 Watford 9 (-4)
14 Burnley 9 (-8, 9 goals for)
15 Fulham 9 (-8, 8 goals for)

16 Newcastle United 9 (-8, 6 goals for)
17 Southampton 8 (-4, 13 goals for)
18 Everton 8 (-4, 13 goals for)
19 Bournemouth 7 (-14)
20 Huddersfield Town 3 (-8)

If you project forward until the end of season, we should be ok as long as we beat Burnley, Southampton, Cardiff and Newcastle plus one more win and four draws.

Mince n Tatties

What your missing out is the fact that it doesn't mean a thing,as four of them in that table are above us.
We dont control the form of other clubs like Everton and Bournemouth going through a bad run.
In reality we are still one off the bottom,and its down to us go get out of it.

Wolf

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 09, 2019, 05:59:56 AM
What your missing out is the fact that it doesn't mean a thing,as four of them in that table are above us.
We dont control the form of other clubs like Everton and Bournemouth going through a bad run.
In reality we are still one off the bottom,and its down to us go get out of it.

That's a good point: who are we going to both outperform and overtake?
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

MJG

What it shows is that at a point a game we will be 3-5 points short at the end of the season. So we need to be at 11 points over a nine game period to be on track.

We really need to play like the team in 11th or 12th for the rest of the season to stay up.
Just the views of a long term fan

Jimpav

Quote from: Newry FFC on January 08, 2019, 10:25:34 PM
We've beaten 18th and 20th; and beat Burnley when they were 18th.

If you exclude the first game, the new manager bounce, only Huddersfield (zero points) and Everton (6points) have done worse

However , going by the figures showing improvement , had the Leicester and Newcastle games gone our way, we'd be in the top 10 on your form table

Why exclude the first game? There's so science or proven theory behind the new manager bounce. If anything this game should have been tougher because our defence had more leaks than a chocolate teapot!

aaronmcguigan

I just excluded the first game not because of any science, just To show it can skew things massively. For example, were we to lose this Burnley game and Southampton /Everton draw, we would then be statistically in the bottom 3 since Ranieris arrival.
As MJG says Ranieri wasn't brought in to be above the relegation zone over his 27 games, it was to be out of the relegation over the whole 38 which probably means achieving mid table results which needs to translate to beating the mid table teams which we haven't managed to win against anyone above 17th.

The others are in poor runs but have also shown they can get wins against top6 top 10 teams

Jimpav

Fair enough, this makes sense.

I completely agree that we need to be beating the mid-table or even top 6 teams from now on, if we are to have any chance of survival.

A quick look at Burnleys home form and remaing fixtures, would make them a half-decent bet for survival, so realistically our best hope is bettering Southampton, Huddersfield and Cardiffs results for the remainder of the season.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: MJG on January 09, 2019, 09:42:39 AM
What it shows is that at a point a game we will be 3-5 points short at the end of the season. So we need to be at 11 points over a nine game period to be on track.

We really need to play like the team in 11th or 12th for the rest of the season to stay up.

Said early in the season that I suspected we'd perform like a relegation team 1st half of the season and more like a mid-table team the 2nd half.....and be safe because of it. I'm less convinced of it now than I was then but, I'm still hopeful. Let's pray that CR gets what he needs.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Steeeeeeeeeed

Saw my Southampton ticket in my drawer earlier, and was surprised to see it was as recently as the 24th November. So it has been only 5-6 weeks only since Ranieris first game.

davew

Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)