News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do our trips to Selhurst Park tend to be pretty eventful?

Started by SP, January 10, 2019, 06:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Can't think of any other ground where so much has happened, for example:

George Best breaking the Palace players leg;
Being chased by angry blokes in crombies & DMs;
The ref blowing the final whistle early meaning we exited then re-entered the ground;
A crowd of over 50,000 (but this one may not of been against us?);
Scoring 4 in the EPL relegation season with two brilliant goals in the process;
And a personal one, buying 5 programmes for various mates & finding 3 of the tickets for the halftime goal challenge.

Let's hope our next trip has a happy ending.  049:gif

nose returns

i forgot the early blowing of the whistle and my dad not letting me go back to see the last few seconds......   and then we had a short game at derby too. maybe refs need better watches in our games

cookieg

I was in the home end for the Best/Evans incident. I know it was a long time ago but I do seem the remember the crack being heard around the ground.

hovewhite

Eventful,Yes the kasami goal,best leg break ,eventful.
Of course!!

BarneyTravers

Recall Brian Greenaway scoring in a one nil victory along with the other occasions...used to be a bit iffy in that White Horse Lane End back then...alright for nostalgic reasons but not if you received a clump.

Light years away such memories.

Got tickets for myself and my Grandson today.

COYW

Neil D

Quote from: SP on January 10, 2019, 06:15:32 PM

The ref blowing the final whistle early meaning we exited then re-entered the ground;

I think that was Millwall.  I remember listening to the commentary on the radio in the car when I thought it had finished!

RaySmith

Ian Evans was the Palace captain, and their fans didn't take  his leg break very well, hardly surprisingly. I knew  quite a few Palace  fans, who I played for a Sunday league team with, and  Palace being the first proper game I went to see, my parents taking me, when Palace were in Div 4, and Fulham in Div 1, and we stood on a grassy hill, where the terracing ran out. I remember that Johnny Byrne was a young star for them, and   several years later I saw him at Fulham, overweight and well past his best.

Palace fans accused George of going over the top, but I couldn't really see what happened from where I was,, but he was probably protecting himself- he could give it out as well as take it.

I have  bit of a soft spot for Palace since my family supported them, but as soon as I went to the Cottage, I knew that Fulham was my team.

SP

Yes, they definately took it badly. Living in the Palace catchment area I had to throw a sickie from school the Monday after the leg break as I got wind of a reception committee planned for me.

the nutflush

I still watch replays of Kasamis goal and it still gives me goosebumps.

cookieg

Quote from: Neil D on January 10, 2019, 09:04:41 PM
Quote from: SP on January 10, 2019, 06:15:32 PM

I think that was Millwall.  I remember listening to the commentary on the radio in the car when I thought it had finished!

Definitely remember it happening at Palace.

Brawn

In a funny way, that game in 13-14 arguably sent us down, as it provided Martin Jol with a stay of execution.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Brawn on January 11, 2019, 10:49:33 PM
In a funny way, that game in 13-14 arguably sent us down, as it provided Martin Jol with a stay of execution.

could be the one that puts one of the final nails in this time as well. How strange that Hughes and possibly Hodgson will/might have that on their cv's.
my grand parents lived at Crown Point, on top of the hill, so Palace was one of my earlier haunts. Amazingly aged ten/eleven going to a game via a train from Redhill to Norwood Junction, bus to Crown Point, bus to Selhurst and train home was all very doable back then.

RaySmith

I know Crown Point very well.
Born in Brixton, I grew up in Tulse Hill,  then we later moved to West Norwood.

Getting the 68 bus, which stopped in Whitehorse Lane, outside the ground, was a very familiar journey to me, first when I went with my parents, then on my own - there was a crossover period when I first began going to Fulham when I would go to both  teams home games, until Fulham gradually took over as the team I supported.

Most of my family were  big Palace fans, and my uncle was a  Chief Steward there for years.

SP

Quote from: ScalleysDad on January 11, 2019, 10:58:53 PM
Quote from: Brawn on January 11, 2019, 10:49:33 PM

could be the one that puts one of the final nails in this time as well. How strange that Hughes and possibly Hodgson will/might have that on their cv's.
my grand parents lived at Crown Point, on top of the hill, so Palace was one of my earlier haunts. Amazingly aged ten/eleven going to a game via a train from Redhill to Norwood Junction, bus to Crown Point, bus to Selhurst and train home was all very doable back then.

Used to go to Palace occasionally, I can clearly recall seeing Law, Best & Charlton for Utd having been passed to the front to stand with the other kids.

Their promotion game against Burnley attracted an official gate of 50K but they believed there were considerably more as you literally couldn't move on the terrace.

brightster

[/quote]
[/quote]

Definitely remember it happening at Palace.
[/quote]

I agree definitely Palace, remember it well.

filham

Of course the big thing at the moment is Roy and Lew being in charge, hard to see us putting it across those two.