watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pirés on his way?

Started by Scrumpy, October 19, 2010, 09:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

A friend has just told me that a work colleague went to an open Arsenal training day recently and Pirés was training with the squad. He was told that he was keeping fit prior to his forthcoming move to Fulham.

Great player in his day, but he's 36 now!
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Hazey

Winger wasn't he?

Would love us to be actually looking at a mid 20's central attacking midfielder!
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

nevzter

While a young, attacking midfielder leads the Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa wishlist - if Pires can still perform (I have no freakin' clue - last I heard he was at Villareal a year or so ago), he may be a decent stopgap measure while the injury bug clears out.

COYW.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

TonyGilroy

Our squad is fixed until January.

No additions possible if they're over 21.

Fletchino

I hope he is not costing to much wedge can not help thinking he will be a waste of money and no way is he aloud to take pens

WhiteJC

if he's on his way to Fulham, why is he training at Arsenal, why not Motspur Park?

TonyGilroy

Presumably he's trying to get fit and his old club are helping him.

There can be no possibility of him playing in the Premier League for anyone until January.

FatFreddysCat

Dont believe a word of it  :046: .

HatterDon

I heard an interview with Pires last spring where he said he was quite happy that his career was winding down, that he had no regrets leaving Arsenal to go to Villareal, and that he considered his main job at The Yellow Submarine helping their young talent acquire some poise and vision. All of that doesn't add to, "Gee, I'd love to join a club in a pitched battle for 10th place in January, just in time for road trips to Sunderland and Newcastle!"

Having said all that, he was a class player and easily the best [IMHO] of Arsenal's "French Connection" of 6-10 years ago. 
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

fulhamwannabe

il etait une fois.....pires

SmithyFFC

Quote from: HatterDon on October 20, 2010, 09:54:29 PM
I heard an interview with Pires last spring where he said he was quite happy that his career was winding down, that he had no regrets leaving Arsenal to go to Villareal, and that he considered his main job at The Yellow Submarine helping their young talent acquire some poise and vision. All of that doesn't add to, "Gee, I'd love to join a club in a pitched battle for 10th place in January, just in time for road trips to Sunderland and Newcastle!"

Having said all that, he was a class player and easily the best [IMHO] of Arsenal's "French Connection" of 6-10 years ago. 

I agree, he was quality back in the day, but I think your forgetting a certain Mr. Henry there!

Having said that, do we need another winger? No. One who's 36? Defiantley Not!
FTID

mccscratch

I think in the end he will be over in a New York Red Bull or Philadelphia Union shirt... MLS wants him and can give him good compensation considering his age...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

HatterDon

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on October 20, 2010, 10:03:48 PM

I agree, he was quality back in the day, but I think your forgetting a certain Mr. Henry there!

Ah, sir, the beginning of a good 4-pint discussion is it. I haven't forgotton any of them. Yes, I thought he was better than Henry, better than Wiltord, even better than Viera. Now, mind you, I agree that all those players were brilliant, but Pires was a bit special even among that group.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

SmithyFFC

Quote from: HatterDon on October 20, 2010, 10:24:10 PM
Quote from: FulhamFan2 on October 20, 2010, 10:03:48 PM

Ah, sir, the beginning of a good 4-pint discussion is it. I haven't forgotton any of them. Yes, I thought he was better than Henry, better than Wiltord, even better than Viera. Now, mind you, I agree that all those players were brilliant, but Pires was a bit special even among that group.

Pires was obvioulsy special, but would Arsenal have achieved half as much without Henry upfront?

I doubt it.
FTID

epsomraver

os5889

One is not amused, also question whether your mates on a wind up...