more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

BBC politically correct BS

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, January 23, 2019, 01:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Baszab on January 23, 2019, 12:24:26 PM
Without being accused of being misogynist/ Maga pro-Trump/ right wing nazi/ Brexiteer etc

I would like to make a simple point that the popularity of mainstream women's football is extremely small. Any attempt by BBC to promote it as mainstream sucks of PC

I am not degrading female participation just commenting that the popularity and appeal of Womens' football is as a minority sport at the present time

There.... I've put it out in the open - I hope I have not upset anyone

The reason they are promoting sports like women's football is because they cannot compete with sky's financial muscle. Sky and their like are now the broadcasters of all the main sports events.  Nothing to do with wanting to be pc

Woolly Mammoth

I married a woman, my mistress is a woman, my next door neighbours wife makes a lovely cup of cocoa, when her husband is at work. Also my wife's sister is a woman and does a spot on top range Swedish Massage of Epic Proportions.
I hope I have not offended any sensitive sole.
Although I would never ever attempt to tell a woman how to knit, any more than they would attempt to tell me how to win a Yard of Ale contest.
Women are more attractive to me when they are Feminine, sweet and vulnerable.
Nevertheless, I always watch England's International women's  Football, Cricket and Rugby matches.
Plenty of skill, quality, competitiveness and commitment, they clearly train very hard.
I recommend them.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

BedsFFC

Quote from: MJG on January 23, 2019, 11:45:40 AM
Quote from: Twig on January 23, 2019, 11:38:39 AM
Actually we really enjoyed last night's silent witness and I don't agree that the US makes better drama (it isn't that simple because a lot of high value dramas are jointly funded anyway). Examples of recent good "British" dramas include; Vanity Fair, The Bodyguard, The Unforgotten, The Night Manager and The Little Drummer Girl.  They may not all be to everyone's taste but a pretty impressive list of examples.

To the OP I have no idea what he is on about!
I'd add Killing Eve to that which was a BBC America production but basically British.

TV drama and quality of it from around the world is at a peak. Lots of great stuff on the hundreds of different services that are available.

Cant argue with either of these posts. I really liked all of them. I think I've become a bit Netflix centric. Better call Saul being my all time fave

Holders

Actually we really enjoyed last night's silent witness and I don't agree that the US makes better drama (it isn't that simple because a lot of high value dramas are jointly funded anyway). Examples of recent good "British" dramas include; Vanity Fair, The Bodyguard, The Unforgotten, The Night Manager and The Little Drummer Girl.  They may not all be to everyone's taste but a pretty impressive list of examples.

There is simply no comparison between American and British drama (IMHO). It's chalk and cheese, gravitas and superficiality.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

MJG

Quote from: Holders on January 23, 2019, 12:55:01 PM

There is simply no comparison between American and British drama (IMHO). It's chalk and cheese, gravitas and superficiality.
I disagree, both can be just as good or bad as the other.
American TV in the last 12 year...The Handmaids Tail, The Americans, Homecoming, Sharp Objects, manic, The Haunting of Hill House, Westworld, Get Shorty, Succession, Billions and much more
Just the views of a long term fan

Baszab

I am not sure this is the right forum for this, but as light relief to FFC's problems ..:....
my closing thought on your question

I think BBC action becomes PC when they are promoting an issue /agenda that is not necessarily populist - ie they are favouring a  minority
- which is not a "bad thing" - but becomes unnecessary if it prejudices the majority

Reverse discrimination is also unhelpful

Obviously not related to football scores !!

nose returns

I tend to agree. That is not to say there isn't good US stuff but for sheer quality of the words, depth of character and being thought provoking, Uk stuff is usually streets ahead.

Holders

Quote from: nose on January 23, 2019, 01:16:59 PM

I tend to agree. That is not to say there isn't good US stuff but for sheer quality of the words, depth of character and being thought provoking, Uk stuff is usually streets ahead.

Yes, there is certainly bad British drama (usually on the commercial channels where numbers of viewers are king rather than quality) but, in all honesty, I've yet to see a good US drama. I would genuinely welcome suggestions that might change my view on this.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Baszab on January 23, 2019, 01:02:51 PM
I am not sure this is the right forum for this, but as light relief to FFC's problems ..:....

I think BBC action becomes PC when they are promoting an issue /agenda that is not necessarily populist - ie they are favouring a  minority
- which is not a "bad thing" - but becomes unnecessary if it prejudices the majority

I agree, but I also cannot understand why they all shout at each other on American TV. Like ourselves they have some really good films and dramas.
But I often wonder if they have hearing issues, far too noisy which can spoil a good film or drama.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

FFC1987

I wouldn't say the BBC using a small advertising segment to try and promote a sport either to increase viewership or participation is PC to be honest. I'm usually quite critical of the BBC inserting progressive politics into shows needlessly etc but I don't really see an issue here. I saw the woman's six nations advert on this morning and pondered a similar line to yours and just came to conclusion it's trying to boost viewership and participation which I think is important (participation more than viewership).

Neil D

Quote from: Holders on January 23, 2019, 01:20:41 PM

Yes, there is certainly bad British drama (usually on the commercial channels where numbers of viewers are king rather than quality) but, in all honesty, I've yet to see a good US drama. I would genuinely welcome suggestions that might change my view on this.
Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul - Netflix needed for the latter.  Get Shorty, Billions on Sky Atlantic.  The Americans (ITV2, bizarrely). All these have been mentioned already.  Start with the latter as it's readily available. 

Holders

Quote from: Neil D on January 23, 2019, 01:34:29 PM
Quote from: Holders on January 23, 2019, 01:20:41 PM

Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul - Netflix needed for the latter.  Get Shorty, Billions on Sky Atlantic.  The Americans (ITV2, bizarrely). All these have been mentioned already.  Start with the latter as it's readily available. 

Thank you, I don't get Netflix or Sky but will try the latter.

Sting of the North

I don't think there is anything actually called "reverse discrimination" as such, as discrimination is discrimination, but I understand what you mean. However, since I am interested in seeing what you mean, can you give an example?

Jimpav

Quote from: BedsFFC on January 23, 2019, 12:44:38 PM
Quote from: MJG on January 23, 2019, 11:45:40 AM

I'd add Killing Eve to that which was a BBC America production but basically British.

TV drama and quality of it from around the world is at a peak. Lots of great stuff on the hundreds of different services that are available.

Cant argue with either of these posts. I really liked all of them. I think I've become a bit Netflix centric. Better call Saul being my all time fave

I'm with you on this one. I watched Breaking Bad back to back for the first time last year and then Better Call Saul.

I didn't think  Breaking Bad could be bettered but loved Better Call Saul. Brilliant characters.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Statto on January 23, 2019, 02:49:45 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on January 23, 2019, 02:04:12 PM

I don't think there is anything actually called "reverse discrimination" as such, as discrimination is discrimination, but I understand what you mean. However, since I am interested in seeing what you mean, can you give an example?

A good example in this context would be the BBC paying their US and China correspondents the same (even though the latter role has vastly lower levels of airtime, profile etc) because the former is a man and the latter a woman and they don't want be accused of gender discrimination.

Come off it Statto - you've used a very selective example there. Hers what the top bbc earners make:

Higher end of the list is dominated by white males even though alot of the women have more airtime - Laura kuennsberg for example seems to be on every time I switch to bbc - but in terms of pay she's well down the list

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-44792074

FFC1987

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on January 23, 2019, 02:57:52 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on January 23, 2019, 02:04:12 PM

A good example in this context would be the BBC paying their US and China correspondents the same (even though the latter role has vastly lower levels of airtime, profile etc) because the former is a man and the latter a woman and they don't want be accused of gender discrimination.

Come off it Statto - you've used a very selective example there. Hers what the top bbc earners make:

Higher end of the list is dominated by white males even though alot of the women have more airtime - Laura kuennsberg for example seems to be on every time I switch to bbc - but in terms of pay she's well down the list

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-44792074

If you take that in isolation it looks bad, but factor in audience pulls, it paints a clearer picture.

Sting of the North

Is this an actual case? And can it be verified by a similar reverse situation in which the man earned less? Just out of interest? Because there could be so many factors behind a persons salary so that it is normally difficult to tell the actual reasons.

ffcne

Quote from: rogerpnowinFlorida on January 23, 2019, 01:19:39 AM
In tonights results on the BBC site.

Results in order:

League 1
League 2
Womens International friendlies
EFL Trophy results (inc Man City under-21's)
The Asia Cup
Nationa lLeague

Yes, i have a rant when i see that all the time.
But what about The Womens Netball team .
BBC Sports Personality team of the year for winning a gold at Commonwealth Games
Ha Ha.
And the then taking .Most Memorable moment in Sport
Total farce BBC .
Talksport gone women mad as well .
Then again some of them are better than Micky(you know) Quinn etc.

Sting of the North

Quote from: ffcne on January 23, 2019, 03:41:42 PM

Results in order:

League 1
League 2
The Asia Cup
Nationa lLeague

BBC Sports Personality team of the year for winning a gold at Commonwealth Games
Ha Ha.
Total farce BBC .

What is the problem exactly?

ffcne

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 23, 2019, 03:50:01 PM
Quote from: ffcne on January 23, 2019, 03:41:42 PM

Results in order:

League 1
League 2
The Asia Cup
Nationa lLeague

Ha Ha.
Total farce BBC .

What is the problem exactly?

Can i ask you the same question ?
If you disagree with my comments tell me why?