https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

To have any chance of beating Brighton

Started by Riversider, January 23, 2019, 03:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: davew on January 23, 2019, 05:59:25 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on January 23, 2019, 04:22:10 PM
I understand that you believe that we are not giving ourselves a good enough chance to survive by being so seemingly inactive in the transfer window
Well done you have understood his point!! No point me saying any more, as you and I disagree on almost everything on this forum! While all might seem rosy to you on what we do or don't do, most of us just go by results, performances and most importantly our league position or am I wearing rose tinted glasses? Our owner is not stupid, once bitten twice shy, why on earth would he invest more money in this window on a hopeless cause? Accept our fate this season (even if we don't like it) and look forward to next season in a league we should be able to compete in!

I think a monkey could understand his point, it wasn't very subtle. Too bad you missed my point however. Also, again out of curiosity, can you refer to me the posts in which I have expressed that everything seem rosy to me? Or is that yet another out of thin air assumption just because I try to point out that just maybe not everything has to be either black or white?

davew

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 23, 2019, 08:50:55 PM
I understand that you believe that we are not giving ourselves a good enough chance to survive by being so seemingly inactive in the transfer window
Well done you have understood his point!! No point me saying any more, as you and I disagree on almost everything on this forum! While all might seem rosy to you on what we do or don't do, most of us just go by results, performances and most importantly our league position or am I wearing rose tinted glasses? Our owner is not stupid, once bitten twice shy, why on earth would he invest more money in this window on a hopeless cause? Accept our fate this season (even if we don't like it) and look forward to next season in a league we should be able to compete in!

I think a monkey could understand his point, it wasn't very subtle. Too bad you missed my point however. Also, again out of curiosity, can you refer to me the posts in which I have expressed that everything seem rosy to me? Or is that yet another out of thin air assumption just because I try to point out that just maybe not everything has to be either black or white?
Apologies (sincere) if I misinterpreted your posting! I will reread the thread later or in the morning whichever is later (lol)! This forum is becoming a circus, but then maybe we are following the club's example! I would like to think that we all want the same thing, success for FFC, it doesn't matter how long a person has supported the club, whether they have always gone to all of the fixtures or some of them or in later life none of them but at least follow the club in whichever way they can! I am not going to go down memory lane about my association with FFC, you probably know it, all I do now is watch every match 1 way or another but not been able to go to the Cottage for many years for 1 reason or another. My passion has never diminished in the 65 years since I first watched Fulham, plenty on here can go back that far or further and we have all witnessed the ups and downs of the club! This season must go down (in my lifetime) as the most disappointing, great expectations after last seasons achievements, an owner prepared to spend money not just on strengthening our squad (lol) but also the stadium and it has all gone pear shaped!! Next season normality will be restored and we can return to watching our team compete, the Championship is a far better league to be in and to watch matches than the PL, which is too elitist now!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on January 23, 2019, 09:25:58 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on January 23, 2019, 08:50:55 PM

Apologies (sincere) if I misinterpreted your posting! I will reread the thread later or in the morning whichever is later (lol)! This forum is becoming a circus, but then maybe we are following the club's example! I would like to think that we all want the same thing, success for FFC, it doesn't matter how long a person has supported the club, whether they have always gone to all of the fixtures or some of them or in later life none of them but at least follow the club in whichever way they can! I am not going to go down memory lane about my association with FFC, you probably know it, all I do now is watch every match 1 way or another but not been able to go to the Cottage for many years for 1 reason or another. My passion has never diminished in the 65 years since I first watched Fulham, plenty on here can go back that far or further and we have all witnessed the ups and downs of the club! This season must go down (in my lifetime) as the most disappointing, great expectations after last seasons achievements, an owner prepared to spend money not just on strengthening our squad (lol) but also the stadium and it has all gone pear shaped!! Next season normality will be restored and we can return to watching our team compete, the Championship is a far better league to be in and to watch matches than the PL, which is too elitist now!

I have to agree with your comment Dave about the Premier League being elitist, which is orchestrated by Sky TV. He who pays the piper calls the tune.
It is no longer a level playing field, It hasn't been for quite a while now
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sting of the North

Hi Dave,

I agree that we all want the same thing, which is success for Fulham FC. Cheers to that! 082.gif

davew

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 24, 2019, 10:22:56 AM
Hi Dave,

I agree that we all want the same thing, which is success for Fulham FC. Cheers to that! 082.gif
Cheers!! (bit early in the day for me).
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Southdowns White

Brighton are not the best team in terms of skill but the operate as a team and play for each other until the very last kick of the game. I have seen them a few times this season and they never looked in the game for long periods but they did not lose and picked up wins where the other team was better on the pitch.

In my view we played about as well as we have all season against Tottenham but still looked like rabbits caught in the headlights when under pressure at times. We need self belief which I think will only now come from a few signings and grinding out a few wins, I don't think these players can do it on their own.

Riversider

Quote from: Southdowns White on January 24, 2019, 11:22:05 AM
Brighton are not the best team in terms of skill but the operate as a team and play for each other until the very last kick of the game. I have seen them a few times this season and they never looked in the game for long periods but they did not lose and picked up wins where the other team was better on the pitch.

In my view we played about as well as we have all season against Tottenham but still looked like rabbits caught in the headlights when under pressure at times. We need self belief which I think will only now come from a few signings and grinding out a few wins, I don't think these players can do it on their own.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻⚫⚪⚫⚪

WindyCity

Wooly: "I have to agree with your comment Dave about the Premier League being elitist, which is orchestrated by Sky TV. He who pays the piper calls the tune.
It is no longer a level playing field, It hasn't been for quite a while now"
[/quote]

There may be some truth to that, but that doesn't mean we abandon hope and accept life in the Champ/League 1 either.  Every once in awhile a Leicester comes along (yeah, blue moon, I know).  I believe the "goal" heading into any new season is to win the PL, finish first in whatever league you happen to be in, no matter how unrealistic.  Cracking the top 6 is a huge challenge, and seemingly not realistic for smaller/lesser clubs.  But I want to see FFC succeed and find themselves in the PL as often as they possibly can.  If we could see FFC somewhere (not talking about this year) 7 thru 10, I would think that all things considered, that would be an extremely successful season, almost a "championship season" of sorts, and would satisfy FFC supporters to a great degree. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: WindyCity on January 24, 2019, 05:19:06 PM
Wooly: "I have to agree with your comment Dave about the Premier League being elitist, which is orchestrated by Sky TV. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

There may be some truth to that, but that doesn't mean we abandon hope and accept life in the Champ/League 1 either.  Every once in awhile a Leicester comes along (yeah, blue moon, I know).  I believe the "goal" heading into any new season is to win the PL, finish first in whatever league you happen to be in, no matter how unrealistic.  Cracking the top 6 is a huge challenge, and seemingly not realistic for smaller/lesser clubs.  But I want to see FFC succeed and find themselves in the PL as often as they possibly can.  If we could see FFC somewhere (not talking about this year) 7 thru 10, I would think that all things considered, that would be an extremely successful season, almost a "championship season" of sorts, and would satisfy FFC supporters to a great degree. 
[/quote]

Yes WindyCity I agree with your sentiments and that's what we must aspire to, Sky TV or not.

Never forget your Roots.

nose returns

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 25, 2019, 02:16:49 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on January 24, 2019, 05:19:06 PM

Yes WindyCity I agree with your sentiments and that's what we must aspire to, Sky TV or not.
[/quote]

we were just about there with MF and went backwards with Khan. I see no reason we cannot be a long term prem team from where we are today and retain our place consistently. But it needs a bit more imagination and professionalism than leaving a totally inexperienced and now absent youngster as director of football in charge of recruitment. MAF got Keegan, we have got an amateur that paints by numbers and it isn't a work of art.

fulhamben

Quote from: HV71 on January 23, 2019, 08:34:40 PM
I can't work out whether it's the alcholic mist or what but I agree with you DaveW. The main point is that we still cannot defend despite the fact that we brought in a defensive coach . That is after 23 games . We have improved , but the improvement has only been marginal and  currently not enough to make us competitive. The worst of it is that most teams in the bottom half look a good deal better than we do. Sadly we will go down - we need to rebuild our style and the way we set ourselves up now. No time to waste and certainly no time to dither and be indecisive. Team and management building should begin ASAP
the same defensive coach that was bought in as a player to anchor our team 😂 how many goals did we let in after jol signed him
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Mince n Tatties

That's that then,too late for us to get a defender in time to play Brighton,so that's 3 January games gone.
Don't give me this nonsense the club are doing this and that,they've known since November our defense is no good,plenty time to have had deals ready for Jan 1st...
Think they've accepted like most that we're already down.😢

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 26, 2019, 07:36:43 AM
That's that then,too late for us to get a defender in time to play Brighton,so that's 3 January games gone.
Don't give me this nonsense the club are doing this and that,they've known since November our defense is no good,plenty time to have had deals ready for Jan 1st...
Think they've accepted like most that we're already down.😢

Whether they think we are down or not, they have still let us down. 🆘

Never forget your Roots.

Matt10

A well organized defensive unit that clogs the middle of the pitch is going to trouble Brighton. WBA doing exactly that and pouncing on counters. Brighton love running at the defence, so I'm curious how they're going to approach against our defensive stand. We can't isolate Mitro though or it will be a difficult night.

Can definitely see why WBA need the likes of Johansen and Kamara. They move the ball nicely, but final ball struggling. Also, Dan Burn looked brilliant. Go figure.

RaySmith

The players definitely don't look like they've accepted  relegation, with their battling performances at Burnley and against Spurs, nor does the manager seem to have accepted this.

WE have a chance against Brighton, if we play like we did against Spurs in the first half. Maybe we 'll have a bit of good fortune, and ref decisions going our way, for a change.

The Swan

We must not leave Glenn Murray unmarked in our penalty area. Or give away a penalty.
The Swan