watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Cordless

Started by H4usuallysitting, January 28, 2019, 09:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Anybody got a cordless vacuum - are they any good?....is there a particular brand I should be looking for?.... Many thanks for any replies

filham

Simple electrics, most of them operate at 12volts which is going to give you a lot less power than a 240 volt mains machine.

Holders

I don't know about vacuum cleaners but many cordless power tools operate at 36 volts, maybe more, and are fine. I even saw a cordless chain saw in use the other week and the battery lasted all day.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

The Old Count

I've had a cordless vacuum - it sucked.......

Seriously though. I still prefer the one I've had since the eighties. 2kw motor, you can still get the bags and quality build over style rather than the other way round.

BTW. Two days left of the transfer window and the most interesting thread on here is about vacuum cleaners.

toshes mate

Rechargeable batteries have improved markedly over the years and so motor power should not be a problem but availabilty of battery replacements may be an issue when they stop accepting a charge.  Battery life longevity and charge holding capacity is often a reason why costs of the machines vary so much and may be a reason why some appear to be much cheaper than others.  The power of good rechargeables can be felt the moment you hit the start button.

JoelH5

I've had a few different ones but now use a Dyson. Yes they cost a lot more but you get what you pay for. Don't bother getting one unless it's a Dyson. We've ended up selling all the other models we have bought as they aren't powerful enough.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Bexhill Beast

Had 3 - a G Tech which was great until the handle bust and then 2 x Vax models, which have proved more robust. 40 mins per charge which is fine. Would never go back to a corded. Vax also has tool for cleaning stairs upholstery etc but is a bit fiddly.

BestOfBrede

Sharks good and has 2 batteries and they can be charged together (twin charger unit)

Woolly Mammoth

Where do you plug it in though ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: The Old Count on January 29, 2019, 09:03:41 AM
I've had a cordless vacuum - it sucked.......

Seriously though. I still prefer the one I've had since the eighties. 2kw motor, you can still get the bags and quality build over style rather than the other way round.

BTW. Two days left of the transfer window and the most interesting thread on here is about vacuum cleaners.
Hang on to that 2KW machine , current EU regulations limit power to a figure way below 2KW.

Milo

Also hoping to get a new vacuum over the line before deadline day.

Seen the robot ones with decent reviews from £120, or decent handheld cordless ones from £80-90. Any suggestions appreciated!

snarks

Just no.

Have a cordless "pet" version (we have a dog), it just wasn't up to the job, so bought a corded Henry too. I much prefer the Henry to the rechargeable cordless model.

Still the cordless one makes a nice talking point in the Kitchen

King_Crud

Bought a VAC 6 months ago. It's ok, chordless is very convenient but it just doesn't have the power of the Henry we gave away. It's just enough to get an ok job done but if you've got tough corners or deep carpet get a Henry

Southcoastffc

Seriously, go to Mumsnet. You're bound to get lots of good advice there. I'm not being sexist, just realistic.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Vinnieffc

My missus bought a cordless to stop me hanging meself after the Arsenal game.

H4usuallysitting

As always - many thanks for all your input..... currently got a Henry, but it's getting to heavy (yep, we should empty it)....wanted something lighter - have seen some 40v Vax & looked at Dysons (found them a bit pricey)... I'm sure corded are better, but they're heavier

MisfitKid

Quote from: BestOfBrede on January 29, 2019, 11:22:27 AM
Sharks good and has 2 batteries and they can be charged together (twin charger unit)

I have a Shark also.  It works well, I was pleasantly surprised by the suction, the 2 battery option is great.
My model has the "bend" in the middle so you don't have to bend over as much to get under things...
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

BarryP

Quote from: MisfitKid on January 29, 2019, 06:49:54 PM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on January 29, 2019, 11:22:27 AM

I have a Shark also.  It works well, I was pleasantly surprised by the suction, the 2 battery option is great.
My model has the "bend" in the middle so you don't have to bend over as much to get under things...

Sounds like we have the same Shark and I'm happy with it.  Cleans the carpet and hardwood equally well.  The corded we used to have might have worked a little better on the carpet but was useless on hardwood.  We got the cordless because the misses didn't want to carry the heavy corded vac up the stairs anymore due to a bum knee and she has no problems with the cordless.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."