watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sparky To Move For Landon Donovan

Started by White Noise, October 20, 2010, 10:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

I'm not after bursting bubbles here, and I will say from the outset I am not a Donovan fan in any shape or form, so that (obviously) slants my view of him, but I fail to see where he can be classed as a Prem goal-scorer. In the dozen or so games he played for the Toffees, he scored 2 goals wasn't it? That would equate to 6 goals taken on a 38-match season, not exactly prolific in anyones books.
If the argument is put forward that he was played out of position/didn't start-end all those games/ any other reason given, then it still fails to prove he can establish himself as a prem goal-scorer, and that is exactly what we are in desperate need of at the moment. We seem to be able to get the ball into the striking area but nobody has been able to pick it up and finidh the move off.

I mentioned in previous threads that I hope one day he is given the opportunity to prove me wrong, but his spell at Everton failed to provide such proof (player of the month doesn't cut it) and spells elswhere are were too few and far between to offer a comparison. I understand that I will upset fellow countrymen with this opinion, and I don't offer it in adversarial position, but I, for one, am yet to be convinced he won't fare any better than EJ has done so at the Cottage.

HatterDon

not to carry on the argument here -- especially not on your birthday -- but what WOULD convince you of his ability to play in the Prem if not 3 MoTM's and 1 Player of the Month? Being capped? I would also point out that he created quite a few goals while at Everton -- and that he was universally recognized during his time there as Prem Class. [And he didn't do all that poorly in the World Cup either].

I also was dismissive of Donovan, but since January 2009, he has improved by leaps and bounds both in terms of results and in terms of maturity. Somewhere around Christmas 2008, he went to the Wizard and found some guts. He's a different player now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr Fulham

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/landon-donovan/leistungsdaten/spieler_68.html

His overall statistics, including 10 Premier League matches (seven starts), 2 goals and 3 assists.

According to my mate from the agency, Fulham is definitely interested.

mccscratch

Frankly the 2.7 million quid valuation on that site is insulting to US players... Landon is a 6-8 million pound player just a fact..
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

mccscratch

Of course they have Edson Buddle listed @ 250k.... hahaha... MAF could write a quick personal check then in January and we would actually have a semi suitable fill in for Zamora until he returns for that kinda of money...

Super Edson Buddle | HD
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

nevzter

He'd be an upgrade whether as a first XI or sub, but he's unlikely to come to Fulham.  And since I've stated as much, the opposite will occur and he'll be at Fulham on Jan. 17.  And if so, I think he'd be a great help if Fulham were fortunate enough to land him on loan.  Whatever.

COYW
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

licker

As we speak Moyes is tying up the loan deal for January, Landon has said he's looking forward to coming over and he wouldnt go anywhere else.  :003:

Bill.

Logicalman

Quote from: HatterDon on October 20, 2010, 11:07:05 PM
not to carry on the argument here -- especially not on your birthday -- but what WOULD convince you of his ability to play in the Prem if not 3 MoTM's and 1 Player of the Month? Being capped? I would also point out that he created quite a few goals while at Everton -- and that he was universally recognized during his time there as Prem Class. [And he didn't do all that poorly in the World Cup either].

I also was dismissive of Donovan, but since January 2009, he has improved by leaps and bounds both in terms of results and in terms of maturity. Somewhere around Christmas 2008, he went to the Wizard and found some guts. He's a different player now.

I can understand where you're coming from on this HD, and perhaps you are right, perhaps he is a player that has matured enough for the Prem now. What would convince me? Perhaps another loan spell at the Toffees where he can excel, but 13 games, 2 goals and 3 assists does not indicate anything better than Dempsey or Davies to me.

Maybe I'm just too skeptical about players these days, but when recalling the so-called 'greats' like Marlet that turned out to be an 11 mill waste-of-space, I guess I am particularly sensitive to hype, and, unfortunately, Donovan has had his above fair share of hype (during the 2009 gold cup he was the US 'wonder boy' but when you checked all the stats following the competition, Dempsey outshone him in every category - but that was glossed over) and so perhaps I'm wrong, but we might just find out one day if the Toffees don't decide to keep him and he comes to the riverside. As I said, I looked to be proved wrong, but this is, as ever, a personal opinion.

BarryP

I cannot see Donovan choosing Fulham over Everton.  He settled in well there.  The squad and fans seemed to accept and embrace him.   I would think he could step right back into the Everton squad with very little fanfare and no real expectation other than to be a productive member of the squad.  No winning fans over. No winning teammates over. No winning the manager over.  I would think if he goes on loan anywhere it will be Everton.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Tom

I would love for Landon to play for Fulham. But if Everton want him back which im sure they do, I can't see him choosing us over Everton.
Fulham for life!