watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sparky To Move For Landon Donovan

Started by White Noise, October 20, 2010, 10:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/20/football-transfer-rumours-villa-hoarau

Another man who pines for a return to Merseyside is, apparently, Landon Donovan. And David Moyes is going to make it happen. Though Mark Hughes is determined to test the strength of Everton's appeal by flaunting the counter-attraction of fashionable Fulham and the opportunity to jam with USA team-mate Clint Dempsey.

Jimpav

I wouldn't be disappointed if Spark y managed to pull this one off but doesn't Donovan have a golden handcuffs deal with the MLS?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Jimpav on October 20, 2010, 10:23:14 AM
I wouldn't be disappointed if Spark y managed to pull this one off but doesn't Donovan have a golden handcuffs deal with the MLS?

That was my thinking too, I thought they wouldn't budge for north of £15m

wadey

just the man to replace murphy.........go get sparky

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: wadey on October 20, 2010, 12:40:51 PM
just the man to replace murphy.........go get sparky

I thought he plays best as an inside forward, not centre mid?

goffc

he is similar to demps in that he can play numerous positions.  he was handcuffed for that price, but that was also due to the length of the contract extension he signed last year.  if landon wants to go, he has a great deal of leverage on mls.  he basically forced the loan to everton last year as part of his contract negotiations, and my understanding is that he will be able to move, if he wants it to happen.  mls is a funny bunch.  some negotiations include things like visits from the team - remember the negotiations are with mls not with his team. if sparky can put together a nice package, and offer something like fulham coming to the states for an "all star" game or summer tour, that price could easily come down.  interesting to see if this comes to be.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: goffc on October 20, 2010, 12:53:56 PM
he is similar to demps in that he can play numerous positions.  he was handcuffed for that price, but that was also due to the length of the contract extension he signed last year.  if landon wants to go, he has a great deal of leverage on mls.  he basically forced the loan to everton last year as part of his contract negotiations, and my understanding is that he will be able to move, if he wants it to happen.  mls is a funny bunch.  some negotiations include things like visits from the team - remember the negotiations are with mls not with his team. if sparky can put together a nice package, and offer something like fulham coming to the states for an "all star" game or summer tour, that price could easily come down.  interesting to see if this comes to be.

The thing with Donovan is that he is exactly the kind of player who the US need to go abroad if the national team is ever going to take off.

LBNo11

...I can hear the chant now:-

"Maybe It's Because I'm A Landoner...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Mr Fulham

No way. ManCity and Everton wanted to moved for him in the summer, and the whole transfer talk was immediately rejected by the MLS. They won't let their superstar leave.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: Mr Fulham on October 20, 2010, 02:01:05 PM
No way. ManCity and Everton wanted to moved for him in the summer, and the whole transfer talk was immediately rejected by the MLS. They won't let their superstar leave.

lets just see and trust Sparky,we have a good reputation with the US,lets see if we can work something out,it wouldn't hurt to try :clap_hands:

jarv

Jam with Dempsey!! You forgot about EJ.
Personally, I think he is a bit over hyped. Good player but not for the money being mentioned.

FC Silver Fox

I agree with Jarv on this one. Over-rated, over-priced and over here.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

White Noise

Am I right in saying that it would inevitably be a loan at this stage?

Also, how well does he get on with Clint and Eddie?

YankeeJim

Landon CANNOT play center mid in this league. His strength is when he is running at people. He is as fast in the 90th as he is at the begining. He would make an exceptional winger, which we don't need near as badly as we need a striker.  He can play as a wiothdrawn striker but we have Gera. No, as much as I like the lad, we need to spend on where we are weakest.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

SmithyFFC

Never gonna happen, don't need another winger anyway.
FTID

Mr Fulham

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on October 20, 2010, 04:22:37 PM

Wouldn't agree on this one. We definitely need another quality winger, considering that Duff and Davies doesn't get younger and the Duffster is quite injury-prone.

Remember, Sparky tried to sign Bentley on D-Day.

SmithyFFC

Quote from: Mr Fulham on October 20, 2010, 04:59:05 PM
Quote from: FulhamFan2 on October 20, 2010, 04:22:37 PM

Wouldn't agree on this one. We definitely need another quality winger, considering that Duff and Davies doesn't get younger and the Duffster is quite injury-prone.

Remember, Sparky tried to sign Bentley on D-Day.

Gera can play out wide, as can dempsey.

Hughes also denied any move for Bentley as I remember.
FTID

Mr Fulham

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on October 20, 2010, 05:07:25 PM

Hughes also denied any move for Bentley as I remember.

Wenger denied any move for Schwarzer AND Hangeland. Sparky denied any Liverpool move for Konchesky a day before Konch left.

Gera can play out wide? Yeah, but he's crap there. Yes, Dempsey can play there, but Duff and Davies are either injury-prone or/and getting older. I think another alternative wouldn't be that bad.

Lighthouse

I think the fact that Riise has yet to appear from the bench means MH is looking for a wide player. Hoping January brings in players that MH has had time to sort out.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

A couple of points to be made here:

1. Donovan IS a class player. He would be an immediate upgrade to our side. I can't think of any player on our books who is a better package of speed, goal-scoring acumen, and passing ability.

2. He can play anywhere in midfield and is also custom made to run the channels alongside Bobby Z.

3. He'll be available, but only for a loan. As much as it would benefit the national team to get him permanently with a European side, he IS -- along with Dwayne DeRosario -- the credibility of MLS as a place for home-grown stars. There is no price that could get him away anytime in the next 3 seasons.

4. I think he'd prefer to go back with Moyes. Moyes has a great reputation as a handler of American talent. If Everton is not interested in a loan, I think he'd be quite happy to come to Fulham ON A LOAN.

5. If he did come to us for 10-12 league matches, his goal scoring/creating could supply a bonus of 5-9 points for those matches.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel