watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ton Cairney.....my thoughts

Started by jarv, January 31, 2019, 01:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I do not understand why he is not on the pitch all the time. IM humble O, having watched most of the games this season, Fulham are a much better side when he is out there. I dont understand why he doesn't start every game.

By the way, Seri is coming good I think. Plays some terrific balls out , similar to Danny Murphy. 

junior white

I like Tom and agree one of our better players, but I think it has to do with his defensive capabilities in the formation CR goes with. As SJ said TC doesn't tackle so we have to accommodate that, in our position and with a defensive minded manager that doesn't seem possible.

Hopefully CR see's this from Tuesday and can now find a way to get him and Seri into the same starting 11. I do not hold much hope that we will start with the 11 that we had on the pitch after 30 minutes (or in that formation I should say) in Saturday

KJS

hongkongfulham

I reckon Ranieri came in and wanted to tighten things up and catch teams on the break. With this in mind he viewed Tom as not willing to shoot on site or get the ball forward early/slow things down (based on previous comments). Not sure I agree with CR and hope we get to see more of him as there is now a necessity for us to have a go at teams.

Agree RE Seri, if we can stay up some and do some good summer business around Mitro, him et al we might look a different prospect. If not we will be saying good bye to the spine of the team no doubt - Cairney, Seri, mitro included!

snarks

Blimey do you think TC has put on a lot of weight? That's a little harsh.

(Just noticed his name in the thread title)

Nero

I noticed it in the game against Brightom (see what I did there) that Tom does seem to dwell on the ball and not move it forward quickly and held play up. But saying that it was one of his best game for a while.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Nero on January 31, 2019, 03:34:51 PM
I noticed it in the game against Brightom (see what I did there) that Tom does seem to dwell on the ball and not move it forward quickly and held play up. But saying that it was one of his best game for a while.

That is almost the opposite of how I see his contribution (except that it was one of his better games for a while, which I agree on). His holding onto the ball is what allows the rest of the team to get forward. He is our best player when it comes to dictate the pace of the game, and his decision making with the ball is very good. If he sees no good options or believe that he can't make the pass he generally wouldn't do it but rather turn back and start over, which is also why he rarely puts teammates in difficult positions. It was the single most important change in our game against Brighton in my opinion.

Steeeeeeeeeed

In today's Press Conference Ranieri said that Cairney is always the captain, unless he doesn't play.

Bit odd. I would give it to Mitrovic permanently now.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on January 31, 2019, 03:52:48 PM
In today's Press Conference Ranieri said that Cairney is always the captain, unless he doesn't play.

Bit odd. I would give it to Mitrovic permanently now.

I think it is good player management. I also think that the importance of who is captain is hugely exaggerated from a team performance perspective. Leaders (of which there are many different types) will be leaders with or without the armband. Mitro doesn't need the armband in order to lead the team. There is no need to risk unsettling a player like Cairney (who seem to be somewhat of a confidence player) by stripping him of the captaincy.

Southcoastffc

TC is a bit of a conundrum. Good player, terribly one footed, good passer, sometimes seems to have tunnel vision (you can predict his pass long before he makes it), very good at protecting the ball, often damages potential attacking moves because he kills the pace, nearly scored two glorious goals on Tuesday but doesn't shoot enough and the two shots were pretty much his only style of shot, CAN have wonderfully quick feet. Put all the 'wrong' things right and he'd be playing for a bigger club.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Count Flapula

If we play 3/5 at the back, Cairney doesn't track back / defend or affect play when we don't have the ball. We simply get overrun.

When we play 4 at the back and have 3 midfielders, given his ball retention and forward passing / creativity, he is crucial to us.

When we play 3/5 at the back and no TC, our forward play is laboured and we really don't score enough - plus we still ship so many goals that the whole point of the formation is made redundant. In fact it's even worse as at least when we go 4 at the back, with TC in our offensive play is much better a we score more.

For me, 4 at the back / getting TC in the side is a no-brainer. Without Mawson, the 3/5 at the back is a failed experiment.

nose returns

even adrian durham on talksport was saying leaving a class act like TC on the bench is crazy, playing on the wing is crazy and CR ranieri's tactics seem ridiculous. if he sees that what does the new manager not see how much better we are when our best player is in the team.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: nose on January 31, 2019, 04:40:15 PM
even adrian durham on talksport was saying leaving a class act like TC on the bench is crazy, playing on the wing is crazy and CR ranieri's tactics seem ridiculous. if he sees that what does the new manager not see how much better we are when our best player is in the team.
but you have to factor in that Durham is nothing more than a shock jock numpty.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

nose returns

Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 31, 2019, 05:20:21 PM

except because his outlook on this exactly mirrors my own he is obviously a very intelligent inssightful shock jock numpty.

actually to be perfectly honest, anybody with an ounce of knowedge about how to play a squad to its best advantage is to use the strengths of the players and not try and fit players to play your short sighted narrow defensive view. the best managers adapt the style to the players not push the players to fit their perceived best way of playing. i do not know how many other ways to say that because it is true. CR will kill us on saturday of he reverts to the defensive style, we just are not capable.

MJG

Quote from: nose on January 31, 2019, 06:41:48 PM

except because his outlook on this exactly mirrors my own he is obviously a very intelligent inssightful shock jock numpty.

actually to be perfectly honest, anybody with an ounce of knowedge about how to play a squad to its best advantage is to use the strengths of the players and not try and fit players to play your short sighted narrow defensive view. the best managers adapt the style to the players not push the players to fit their perceived best way of playing. i do not know how many other ways to say that because it is true. CR will kill us on saturday of he reverts to the defensive style, we just are not capable.
Or the best coaches turn avearge players into good players like Tigana did.
You cant have a closed mind that TC must play no matter what.No player should have that right. There have been posts explaining the reasioning behind them, I might agree or disagree with them, but much about TC is frustrating and then he plays like he did Tuesday. He is a little bit of a flat track bully and when the team are in the ascendancy he looks good, but backs to wall he does go missing, and by that I mean when we have to defend and dig something out.
Just the views of a long term fan

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Nero on January 31, 2019, 03:34:51 PM

This my only gripe with him bar him being uttedly useless defending and lazy tracking back (he makes Schurrle look like Kante). On the other hand we know he's quite strong, good dribbling, passing and he is shooting more now. Could've scored two beauties on Saturday.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: MJG on January 31, 2019, 06:50:23 PM

You cant have a closed mind that TC must play no matter what.No player should have that right. There have been posts explaining the reasioning behind them, I might agree or disagree with them, but much about TC is frustrating and then he plays like he did Tuesday. He is a little bit of a flat track bully and when the team are in the ascendancy he looks good, but backs to wall he does go missing, and by that I mean when we have to defend and dig something out.
This is true.

abfg

He's the only one always showing for the ball. He is a cool head on the ball and we need that. We're so much better with him in the team.

MJG

Quote from: abfg on January 31, 2019, 10:06:29 PM

He's the only one always showing for the ball. He is a cool head on the ball and we need that. We're so much better with him in the team.
he's not the only one and anyway as a playmaker I'd be pissed if he didn't want it.
Just the views of a long term fan

nose returns

nobody should ever automatically start, and goo coaches do improve players, sometimes, but as for the rest of what you say i do not beging to agree. TC is a vital cog and we play better with him and more likely to win rather than lose if you can't see that much then I am not sure what you are seeing. I sometimes think if i say black you have t say white and where TC is concerned it is overwhelmingly obvious we need him, he is not frustrating when played in hos proper role, the manger is at fault not him... and earlier in the season he was ok till burnley did for him and it took a while to get back to fitness.