News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

i don't normally talk about roy, but has he lost it?

Started by LRCN, October 20, 2010, 06:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

But life would be boring if we just continuously did the same thing.

Roy's history shows that he liked to wander between clubs and continually challenge himself.

I couldn't care less about the way that Roy left, in much the same way as when Sparky leaves. To have this tarnish Roys time at the club is ridiculous bordering on the insane.

Oh, and as for the subs, Simon Davies at RB worked pretty well against Juventus!

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on October 21, 2010, 12:14:39 PM

Roy's history shows that he liked to wander between clubs and continually challenge himself. or take the cash as soon as it's flashed

I couldn't care less about the way that Roy left, in much the same way as when Sparky leaves. To have this tarnish Roys time at the club is ridiculous bordering on the insane.
colour me metal then,he dropped us for the first offer he got,as I already posted,we thought he got us,we though he was one of us,we thought he would be loyal,he wasn't ,he went first chance he got to the first offer he got :001: and it hurts,it hurts alot :001:

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

AlFayedsChequebook

I see we are on to Clint quotes. I guess Roy is having this kind of luck at Liverpool: (skip to 1.16)

The Dead Pool - Chinatown Robbery

Abbotsbury White

Quote from: licker on October 21, 2010, 08:08:47 AM
Strong rumours  coming from LFC that Roy has been asked to resign after the Napoli game, all Everton supporters are sad, we think he's doing a grand job.  :005:
[DSTM but I Just heard the exact same thing from a reliable source,Roy will resign after the game,KD as caretaker,player power has had a hand with the main 2 being Torres and stevie G,apparently frank rijkard will be new boss,]
Also on this post its mentioned how Roy got those important away results in the great escape season,I dont normally take any notice of warnock but during a recent interview he got it spot on by saying sometimes when you have nothing to loose and actually just go for it it can lead to these type of results which if you remember back 2-0 down V city we really did have nothing to loose.anyway for what its worth I was really peed off with Roy when he went and wanted him to struggle but now after time has played its part I do feel for him ..a bit.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

RidgeRider

This thread has probably been the best group therapy session of this boards history. :005: Love the passion!

Oh and have I mentioned the Giants beat the Phillies in the 9th inning last night to go up 3 games to 1!!!!!!

jarv

Mr. Finn, very well put. However, I believe Roy will work in the premier division again, a struggling club will take a chance on him. He will be recognised and remembered for his success with Fulham more than his (anticipated) failure with Liverpool.
Personally, I think we will read "left Liverpool by mutual agreement" when much of the dust has settled. (with a large cheque in his pocket).

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: RidgeRider on October 21, 2010, 01:35:00 PM
This thread has probably been the best group therapy session of this boards history. :005: Love the passion!

we are passionate because this matters :clap_hands:
we feel let down by Roy,rightly or wrongly,we feel like he droped us like a hot stone and the reason behind that does not make sense,thats why we raise a smile now it's all gone pear shaped for him,it didn't have to be this way-
Roy Hodgson-The man who sold the World :dft004:

RidgeRider

I am a little late to this but I guess Purslow stepped down yesterday.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3189968/Kenny-Dalglish-waiting-in-the-wings-at-Liverpool.html

Hodgson is indeed done. If he gets his 2M, it will have been a good financial decision but nothing else.

Jimpav

Dalglish is a backstabber just waiting to step into Roys shoes.

I can't see him doing any better job than Keegan did on his trumped up return to Newcastle.

As for Roy, he may not be the messiah but he's certainly the best manager we've ever had.

What would you rather - he left at his peak or stayed with us until we slid backwards and he was forced out - ending up like a pariah like Sanchez?

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

he could have signed a 5 year contract,rebuilt the team,brought in some yougsters have a free hand running the club,he could have had a good crack at the cups each year and retired a legend,now he is just another good manager that sold his soul for 20 pieces of silver :doh:

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Jimpav on October 21, 2010, 02:28:23 PM
What would you rather - he left at his peak or stayed with us until we slid backwards and he was forced out - ending up like a pariah like Sanchez?

Third possibility is that he stayed for years, stabilised the club, organised an impressive academy producing good quality players and kept us as a long term mid table club with a decent shot at a 7th place finish and/or cup.

If we were doomed to slip backwards had he stayed it rather undermines the notion that he's a top top coach. Rather suggests, if that's what you think, that he got out whilst he was ahead before the poo hit the fan.

epsomraver

Being fair to Roy , we don't know what was said between him and Mo after Europa, Mo may have not wanted to commit the Europa money to spending on new players so Roy may have thought this is as far as I go, or he was a greedy barsteward who went for the mighty dollar!

FFCSteve

Quote from: finnster01 on October 21, 2010, 11:54:02 AM

Because he knows his environment. He knows he will be well looked after. He can be a big fish in a small pond. He enjoys great respect from his team mates. And that my friends is exactly what Roy had but he gave it all away only to see his future in the Prem (not just Liverpool) most likely to come to a sudden end very quickly

That is exactly the way I see it!

Roy gave a lot away moving from our club! It can't have been money. He said he needed a last challenge! But in the twilight of his career, surely plaudits & achievement should have been high on his list. His next challenge here would have been to establish the club as a high top half team with a view to reaching Europe every year! I believe Mo liked him, We liked him, he was well payed, he was manager of the month, manager of the year. Why would you chuck all that away?
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: FFCSteve on October 21, 2010, 03:07:02 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on October 21, 2010, 11:54:02 AM

Because he knows his environment. He knows he will be well looked after. He can be a big fish in a small pond. He enjoys great respect from his team mates. And that my friends is exactly what Roy had but he gave it all away only to see his future in the Prem (not just Liverpool) most likely to come to a sudden end very quickly

That is exactly the way I see it!

Roy gave a lot away moving from our club! It can't have been money. He said he needed a last challenge! But in the twilight of his career, surely plaudits & achievement should have been high on his list. His next challenge here would have been to establish the club as a high top half team with a view to reaching Europe every year! I believe Mo liked him, We liked him, he was well payed, he was manager of the month, manager of the year. Why would you chuck all that away?

Because he has a massive chip on his shoulder after the Blackburn debacle. He wanted to be known as a high-profile successful coach in the UK. Unfortunately he has screwed that up a bit!!

RidgeRider

"Breaking up is hard to do"........bitter...the lot of you!  :dft011:

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: RidgeRider on October 21, 2010, 03:30:46 PM
"Breaking up is hard to do"........bitter...the lot of you!  :dft011:

beause of what might have been?           yes
because he went for the wrong reasons?  yes
because him leaving made no sense?      yes
for him showing no loyalty?                    yes
would I have him back now?                   no! :red:

LRCN

Quote from: Jimpav on October 21, 2010, 10:49:29 AM
Roy had taken us beyond our wildest dreams. Even the hardest bitten cynic could not dispute that.

He gave us some memorable results along the way, signed some of our best players in recent history and turned a squad of misfits and strugglers into a force to be reckoned with.

You may have also forgotten that those away wins at Reading, City and Pompey in 2008 or the 7th place finish that saw us beat Spurs, Citeh, United, Arsenal, Liverpool amongst others - oh and we came within 2 minutes of penalties at a European final.

Season ticket sales are up, the ground is full for nearly every home match, we are being linked with better players each season and now we have attracted a replacement manager that was trusted with an unlimited transfer kitty for a side on the verge of winning the league.

We knew he was a nomad - yet we got three very good years of service out of him. The Europa final was his send off and shoudl have been no surprise that he was leaving - we just chose to ignore the whispers. If it wasn't for the world cup he would have no doubt left sooner - who could blame him for coveting the England job?

Hodgsons legacy has been absolutely huge for this club yet the bitternes and ungratefulness of some is embarrassing. If I saw Hodgson in the street I would bow down to him. The man is an absolute legend.

yeah let me just say that i completely echo these sentiments and i'm really not pleased to see him struggling so much at liverpool, but the way his character's changed from with us in may to with liverpool now is extreme. i've heard he's gone with rijkaard taking over.

Jimpav

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on October 21, 2010, 02:34:52 PM
he could have signed a 5 year contract,rebuilt the team,brought in some yougsters have a free hand running the club,he could have had a good crack at the cups each year and retired a legend,now he is just another good manager that sold his soul for 20 pieces of silver :doh:

I can't disagree with that Syd but I can't also blame the bloke for wanting to have a crack at getting Liverpool into the champions league. They were realistically his biggest chance of winning European silverware and securing his place in the English managers hall of fame.

You also make good points Tony. There was no guarantee that we woudl have slipped backwards under Roy but I don't think we would have reached another European final. He raised the bar to a level which would be hard to top. Perhaps he felt that he had reached a glass ceiling.

Agree with you Lork, his character has changed. Ever since he joined Liverpool he has been in the papers and on SSN practically every day. Not sure if this had added unnecessary pressure to him or whether he is no longer able to hide behind the coy enigmatic personality that we used to know and love but he's no longer the same Woy anymore.