more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Premier League experience

Started by Matt10, February 01, 2019, 02:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt10

Yes, we wanted a CB and RB.

We got a CB, but not an RB. Fulhamish fashion, or luck, that Bordeaux stopped answering is unfortunate.

Positives, we have three players in Babel, Nordtveit and Markovic with Premier League experience. Were they good experiences? Nope. Neither was Cairney's, neither was Mitro's - all things considered. They were experiences nonetheless.

The way I see it beggars can't be choosers, and whether we like it or not, we're beggars with relegation looming in the eyes of these potential signings.

Could signings have been done sooner? Maybe, but again, we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes or what conversations are had. Carlos Carvalhal explained it well on Sky Sports tonight when he said the second a player is rumoured, other clubs take notice, and now that increases the likelihood that their decision will be delayed deep into the window.

I'm not condoning the failure to sign certain players, but I'm also not going to act like Fulham are my customer service hotline and I'm entitled to get what I want every time. Investing in a club is a risk. Nothing will be handed to you. Giving up on players that haven't even kicked a ball in a Fulham shirt is hardly any way to act right now. We should still be beaming off of the 4-2 victory against Brighton, and completely focused on who we have in our squad - because most of them are committed to the mission at hand.

ex-Pat

Not getting another French league player doesn't bother me one bit,, now the German and premier players, I'm all in.

clintclintdeuce

were 2 weeks away from 15th.. relegation looming...pfft
The Dude abides.

hongkongfulham

Nice one Matt. Plenty of football to be played and we are a long way from out of this fight. It will be patchy next few months but last 5/6 games all winnable for me so time to get behind the boys, new and old. Markovic is a bit of a meme at this point but whose to say him and Mitro can't find some serb magic? Babel came in and has been bright despite being written off immediately. Havard might turn out to be the missing piece in defense. As we have seen, the big teams at the top are not infallible.

All to play for, starting with a weakened palace side. COYW

RaySmith

Good post Matt.

If the other two signings prove to be as good as Babel, which I think they well could be, they will be a big asset to us in our  fight to stay up.

Only one defender, but a position that needs strengthening. I'm sure the club did their best to get players in in good time, but  this wasn't so easy.

The existing players finally got the result their recent performances have deserved against Brighton, and that should give everyone confidence, and our new cb could be  the new Brede Hangeland, who actually recommended him, while Markovic was recommended by Mitro.

We signed players who didn't pull up trees in the Prem before- like Mitro and Cairney, as said, Boa Morte at Arsenal, Brian McBride - Everton, Eric Nevland, who played such an important role in the Great Esacape - Man U.

Now is the time to get behind the team, and the new players, not play the blame game, when we don't even know if blame is justified.

Matt10

Quote from: hongkongfulham on February 01, 2019, 04:24:42 AM
Nice one Matt. Plenty of football to be played and we are a long way from out of this fight. It will be patchy next few months but last 5/6 games all winnable for me so time to get behind the boys, new and old. Markovic is a bit of a meme at this point but whose to say him and Mitro can't find some serb magic? Babel came in and has been bright despite being written off immediately. Havard might turn out to be the missing piece in defense. As we have seen, the big teams at the top are not infallible.

All to play for, starting with a weakened palace side. COYW

Love the attitude, that's where I'm at as well. Let's just hope Ranieri embraces what we showed against Brighton and builds the strategy off that.

Matt10

Quote from: RaySmith on February 01, 2019, 04:53:53 AM
Good post Matt.

If the other two signings prove to be as good as Babel, which I think they well could be, they will be a big asset to us in our  fight to stay up.

Only one defender, but a position that needs strengthening. I'm sure the club did their best to get players in in good time, but  this wasn't so easy.

The existing players finally got the result their recent performances have deserved against Brighton, and that should give everyone confidence, and our new cb could be  the new Brede Hangeland, who actually recommended him, while Markovic was recommended by Mitro.

We signed players who didn't pull up trees in the Prem before- like Mitro and Cairney, as said, Boa Morte at Arsenal, Brian McBride - Everton, Eric Nevland, who played such an important role in the Great Esacape - Man U.

Now is the time to get behind the team, and the new players, not play the blame game, when we don't even know if blame is justified.

I "scouted" Nordtveit before his name came up in the transfer window, and to me, he's a good signing. Mobile and athletic, not to mention tall with a good frame - not just skin and bones. He scored goals in the Bundesliga, some from quite a distances, free kicks, the works. We do not have any defenders with goals this season (other than Odoi in the FA Cup), and I can imagine he may find the back of the net sooner than anticipated. He's versatile enough that Chambers can remain in the DM spot, while he drops back with either Odoi or LeMarchand centrally, depending on the formation chosen.

Something as well is that last year under Slav our centre-backs are ball playing, they maintain possession and have to pass quite well. They are also built like defensive midfielders as opposed to tall-lunking such as Dunk and Duffy from Brighton for example. If we are truly going to embrace a football playing strategy, then these types of players are essential to the system.

I could care less about how he played at West Ham. There are multiple starters of ours that also struggled in the Prem, and it has taken them more than 10 matches to get familiarized. Hopefully, Nordtveit can hit the ground running, but even if he doesn't, I think he's got the right type of experience to know what to do and execute.

BedsFFC

Just wanted to say cheers Matt and a few others on here for your posts. Keep em coming

hovewhite

This guy could make a big difference at CB just hope he stays fit.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: Matt10 on February 01, 2019, 04:21:50 PM
Good post Matt.

I "scouted" Nordtveit before his name came up in the transfer window, and to me, he's a good signing. Mobile and athletic, not to mention tall with a good frame - not just skin and bones. He scored goals in the Bundesliga, some from quite a distances, free kicks, the works. We do not have any defenders with goals this season (other than Odoi in the FA Cup), and I can imagine he may find the back of the net sooner than anticipated. He's versatile enough that Chambers can remain in the DM spot, while he drops back with either Odoi or LeMarchand centrally, depending on the formation chosen.

Something as well is that last year under Slav our centre-backs are ball playing, they maintain possession and have to pass quite well. They are also built like defensive midfielders as opposed to tall-lunking such as Dunk and Duffy from Brighton for example. If we are truly going to embrace a football playing strategy, then these types of players are essential to the system.

I could care less about how he played at West Ham. There are multiple starters of ours that also struggled in the Prem, and it has taken them more than 10 matches to get familiarized. Hopefully, Nordtveit can hit the ground running, but even if he doesn't, I think he's got the right type of experience to know what to do and execute.
I hope you are right obviously. I think his strengths are as CDM not CB. All the people who know him well from Germany and Norwegian press say positive stuff along the lines of your analysis as CDM. As CB they say he is too slow and gets turned around. His relegation scrapping experience with BMG will also help. Maybe its time for Chambers to move back to RCB and let Nordtveit CDM? Or we play double pivot in 4-2-3-1?
Quark, strangeness and charm

Matt10

Quote from: BedsFFC on February 01, 2019, 05:02:33 PM
Just wanted to say cheers Matt and a few others on here for your posts. Keep em coming

Looking forward to tomorrow. Genuinely excited for our team after Brighton, and some reinforcements picking up a role to play.

Quote from: hovewhite on February 01, 2019, 10:31:22 PM
This guy could make a big difference at CB just hope he stays fit.

That is where I would put him. He played there for Hoffenheim to start the season and did pretty well. Scored in Champions League versus Shakhtar Dontesk as well. Has played in a 4 back and 3 back, then in DMF role most recently for the club. My concern is he may still be injured, but didn't appear as a doubt on the Matchday preview, so who knows.

Quote from: YoungsBitter on February 01, 2019, 10:47:12 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on February 01, 2019, 04:21:50 PM
Good post Matt.

I hope you are right obviously. I think his strengths are as CDM not CB. All the people who know him well from Germany and Norwegian press say positive stuff along the lines of your analysis as CDM. As CB they say he is too slow and gets turned around. His relegation scrapping experience with BMG will also help. Maybe its time for Chambers to move back to RCB and let Nordtveit CDM? Or we play double pivot in 4-2-3-1?

Yes, think he'll come in handy in either spot. I'm nto sure what will be done with Chambers as I'd be weary of putting him in CB because he's played so well at the CDM spot. I'm genuinely interested to see a taller frame in our RCB spot. Looking through all the league, and there are not many 5'10 centre-backs like we have in Odoi. Could be the time to move him back to RB, although I'm not on the train of hating Christie's play.

I think a 4-2-3-1 is most likely. Seeing the stats of the Brighton match, that is exactly what we switched to. A stick-twist 4-2-3-1 with Babel dropping right behind Mitro, and Cairney twisting with Chambers at times.

Had more time with my preferred lineup, and this is where I would prefer we go:

YoungsBitter

That's pretty much what I expect we go with tho doubt Nordtveit starts.
I am excited too, just hope Batman does not start for Palace. I'm hoping Woy will be careful and bring him on late.
I hope Vietto builds on Tuesday's excellent display but fear if Shurrle is fit CR starts him instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quark, strangeness and charm

RaySmith

I feel that a lot of the anticipation and euphoria generated by our brilliant comeback against  Brighton, has been lost with  anger over our lack of expected transfer dealings, though few Prem clubs did much business, and we brought in three potentially important players, including a defender.

So , it's good to read Matt's positivity, and declaration of excitement about today's game, on the back of our so important win.

I'm excited too, and keen to see how our new signings do, if any of them play. But Babel has already been a revelation.