more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stockdale Sounding Ambitious & Determined

Started by White Noise, October 20, 2010, 08:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Back In Contention

David, after four weeks out, it must be very pleasing to be back in contention?

It is, extremely. It was a long four weeks, so it's nice to be in a position to play again. I perhaps rushed my recovery after injuring my knee at Blackpool, which probably extended my time on the sidelines – but I just wanted to get back.

The international break gave me the chance to catch up and I've been working hard. The knee feels good and hopefully I will be part of the squad today.

The timing of the injury must have been the most disappointing thing for you...

It was awful timing, but these things happen in football. Look at Bobby - he had just made the England squad prior to his. I have to be thankful that my injury wasn't as severe and, like everyone else, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Football is an unpredictable game - one minute you can be flying high, then the next you're brought crashing down. It was great to play those first four fixtures and it was frustrating that I couldn't build on them. The word 'frustrated' is used a lot by an injured player and I was no different – you can't even train.

You made quite a statement in those games too...

It's difficult to know how you will react in those kind of situations, but I knew I had to show what I was capable of. A new manager had come in and everyone was keen to show what they could bring to his team. It was a new slate if you like. I hadn't played for the First Team in a while, so it was important to make the most of the opportunity.

The Bolton match was a difficult one - the opening game of the season and the Reebok Stadium is a tough place to go - but you have to be strong and it felt good to come through with a clean sheet and a valuable point. At that stage I wasn't sure when I would feature again so it was all about making the most of it.

But you were involved again eight days later, putting in a memorable display against Manchester United at Craven Cottage...

That was an unforgettable afternoon for me, and is probably the game that stands out in my career so far. I like to think that I helped the team get a point against one of the best teams in the world and I managed to save a penalty in the process too.

As a team we stood up and were counted, and once again showed that we can compete with the league's top sides. It was a game that really gave me the taste of top-flight football – that's what it's all about.

And you also came close to a place in one of Fabio Capello's England squads...

Yes, but to be honest, playing for England was not something that I had previously thought too much about. Of course, as a proud Englishman I would love to play for my country, but there are a lot of good goalkeepers ahead of me. Joe Hart seems to have the position nailed down at the moment, while the likes of Ben Foster, Rob Green and Scott Carson remain in contention.

At the time when I heard about the call up, a few of them were missing, so Mr Capello thought that I was next in line I suppose. It would have been an incredible opportunity, but the injury prevented it from happening. Hopefully my chance will come again, but Fulham is the priority – anything else is just a bonus.

Despite the injury, it has been a very positive start to the season for you hasn't it?

Without a doubt. Ok, I missed the opportunity to build on my initial progress, and the chance to train with the England squad, but it's a sign that I have been doing something right. At the start of pre-season I never thought I'd be in the position I am in today and talking about the things we have been, but it is just proof of the hard work being carried out at this Club behind the scenes.

You have done much to suggest that you could one day succeed Mark Schwarzer as Fulham's number one. Are you confident that you can make the step up on a more permanent basis?

I have heard people say that, but I'll leave it to others to decide. Of course, I have confidence that I can play a part here and make a difference, but after seven games it's difficult to say. I think this is a conversation for a later date, perhaps when I have made 20 to 25 appearances.

I have shown that I can do a job, but the challenge now is to pass Mark when he's not injured – that's something that I have to aspire to. I'll take one step at a time, but make no mistake, I have ambitions of becoming Fulham's number one goalkeeper.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/StockdaleInterview.aspx?#ixzz12uPuqFVV

mccscratch

I hope he takes Mark's place soon... not that Mark has been anything but superb over the last few matches since his crummy little 3 game spell... Mark is going to be moving on and David is our man for the future... I think he has a good chance of being England's #2 by the time 2012 rolls around.. not sure anyone will catch Hart but David has got loads of talent to unfold.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

JBH

Confidence is good in a Goal Keeper, hope he keeps improving as he has been  :54: