Eddie Lewis To Retire

Started by White Noise, October 20, 2010, 11:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6457488,00.html

Lewis announces retirement

Veteran winger to call it quits after 14-year career

By Ben Collins   Last updated: 20th October 2010   

Former United States international Eddie Lewis has announced he plans to retire at the end of this season.

The 36-year-old, who represented the USA at the World Cup in 2002 and 2006, scored 10 goals in 82 internationals and is in his third season with Los Angeles Galaxy.

The veteran winger had previously played for Premier League Fulham along with fellow English outfits Preston, Leeds and Derby, scoring 23 goals in 236 league appearances.

"I'm so proud to have been able to have had the experiences that the sport of soccer has afforded me," Lewis said in a statement issued by the Galaxy.

"I have played in two World Cups, in one of the world's biggest leagues and so much more, but more importantly, along the way I have been able to do things that I never otherwise would have."

Arena tribute
Galaxy's general manager and head coach, Bruce Arena, paid a glowing tribute to Lewis, who hails from Cerritos in California.

"Eddie Lewis is arguably the finest left-sided midfielder in the history of US soccer," added the former US coach.

"His play in the 2002 and 2006 World Cups, MLS (Major League Soccer) and English football secures his place in the Hall of Fame."

Lewis began his MLS career with the San Jose Clash in 1996 and stayed with the club until the end of the 1999 season.

He then linked up with Fulham in March 2000 and returned home to join the Galaxy in August 2008.

Lighthouse

A player that can look back on his career with great pride. He suffered from being over hyped and over rated. But in the end proved he was a a good if not top class player. As EJ has found.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

he was what baseball fans like to call a quadruple-A player -- that is, tip-top quality at Championship level and not good enough for the Prem. His biggest mistake was leaving Preston in favor of Leeds. He might have helped Preston to promotion to the big time, but wasn't good enough to keep Leeds from going down to League 1.

I know he was a source of derision at FFC, but -- as Mr. Lighthouse points out -- it wasn't his fault he was over-hyped. One thing he was good at that seems to be a skill that is disappearing before my eyes, was his ability to deliver a corner or free kick that didn't routinely go at knee-height to the first defender.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jarv

Agree with Mr. Hatterdon, his delivery was excellent. I said at the time, when Fulham signed him, they have just bought the best player in MLS, I hope he makes the grade. Looking back, I guess he did not quite make it but was definitely worth a punt.

TheDaddy

Didn't quite make the grade at Fulham but a bloody decent bloke..Good Luck to the lad  :54:
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

CULTUREVULTURE

Met him once. Had his picture taken with my son. He was a nice bloke who had the misfortune to arrive when expectations were very high and player turnover the same.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: CULTUREVULTURE on October 21, 2010, 07:15:38 PM
Met him once. Had his picture taken with my son. He was a nice bloke who had the misfortune to arrive when expectations were very high and player turnover the same.
Bloody hell what brings you over to this neck of the woods? Was it my get well soon Maggie thread that was unfortunately locked thanks to the looney left  :59:

CULTUREVULTURE

I was always too damn lazy to switch from the official board. Creature of habit etc. But I seem to have been banned as a result of my standing up to the likes of Tizzard, Wizard, Aidan etc. I reckon that forum actually consists of 4 or 5 people who just want the whole forum for themselves. Once you cross one of them the others are over you like lice.

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on October 21, 2010, 07:25:32 PM
Quote from: CULTUREVULTURE on October 21, 2010, 07:15:38 PM
Bloody hell what brings you over to this neck of the woods? Was it my get well soon Maggie thread that was unfortunately locked thanks to the looney left  :59:

watfordwhite

Good to see you on board CV. :045:

JezamyBates

The £1.5 million spent of him was a complete waste. Rumours of him being the American Beckham were utter rubbish

No doubt he lined his pockets handsomely whilst under contract with us. I recall him doing decently at Derby, wish him well

jpl

Eddie Lewis was not the player that people thought he would be from reading the initial hype, but he was hard working and possessed a great left foot.  I saw him play several times in person for various clubs and country over the years and he was always willing to track back on defence and go forward when need be.  His best quality was, as has been said by others already, his crosses.  It seems to be a lost art, but Eddie could create danger several times a match with his left foot.  I saw him play for the Galaxy a couple of weeks ago and he still had the same level of effort that some modern players seem to forget.   The match was lost when he entered, but you would not have known it from his level of effort.  If the Left Back when forward, he was there to provide cover.  If nobody was going forward to be on the end of a Beckham cross , he made the effort.  When you are at a match, it is not always the stars that make it interesting.  The role players like Eddie make it a great sport to watch in person.   :045: