watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Etuhu Liking Life Under Hughges

Started by White Noise, October 21, 2010, 07:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/dickson-etuhu-reaching-out-fulham-and-nigeria-fans-online-1194741

Dickson Etuhu: Reaching out to Fulham and Nigeria fans online

21.10.10 | Chris Beattie

Career-changing? Life-changing? Whatever phrase you use, there's no doubt 2010 has been a massive year for Dickson Etuhu.

Little over 12 months ago, Etuhu was still trying to establish himself in a Fulham midfield which had barely escaped the drop.

But fast-forward to the present and Etuhu has experienced a European club final, is now a Nigerian World Cup veteran and firmly established as a first-choice with the Cottagers.

"It was a great year with a lot of positivity in it," Etuhu reflected in conversation with tribalfootball.com. "I hope to continue along the same road."

For Etuhu, born in Kano, the decision to move to London with Fulham two years ago has been decisive.

After coming through Manchester City's successful youth system, Etuhu established an impressive reputation with Championship club Preston North End, where he was signed by the now Everton manager David Moyes.

But it wasn't until he found his way to Fulham, after detours to Norwich City and Sunderland, that Etuhu was able to reconnect with friends and family in London and produce the sort of football that had scouts flocking to Deepdale all those years ago.

"Coming to Fulham has done a lot for me," he acknowledges. "I have been away from London for 10 years and it has given me the chance to settle.

"I also have a great manager like Robson who believes in me."

He firmly adds: "I settled in very well at Fulham: proved to everyone I was good enough and never looked back."

Not looking back has become almost a mantra at Craven Cottage this season, with Fulham hardly skipping a beat as manager Roy Hodgson left for Liverpool to be replaced by Mark Hughes.

Etuhu says: "It was difficult (to lose Hodgson) but we always knew that might happen and it wasn't a big surprise.

"People move on and we have to rebuild and move on again."

Part of that rebuilding process has been a change of approach for Etuhu. Hughes has encouraged the midfielder to get into more goal scoring positions and the Nigerian is now finding the back of the net.

He adds: "It's going really good. He sees the way I play the speed and burst of power and wants to exploit that. He has also been good to staff and shared ideas and views.

"He's a strong and confident man, a good person to have as a boss and manager."

There were concerns Etuhu would follow Hodgson to Anfield over the summer, but after seeing Hughes at work he was happy to put pen to paper on a new four-year contract.

And who could blame him for sticking around after a year of not only playing in a first World Cup, but also reaching the final of the Europa League?

Etuhu bursts with pride over the manner of Fulham's road to Hamburg.

"We had such a hard route probably the hardest in competition," he recalls. "To get to the final was a dream, a shock. I had feelings I have never had before on the pitch."

And on his appearance in South Africa, Etuhu adds: "It was a dream. I used to watch the World Cup when I was a kid. Wearing that green shirt was emotional and a moment I will never forget."

The midfielder recognises Nigerian fans were left disappointed with their World Cup campaign, but is confident of better times ahead, despite now a ban hanging over the Super Eagles.

"I think the fans get frustrated as they are very passionate about football. After God comes football, to Nigerians," says Etuhu.

"We need the fans more than ever - with them behind us we can achieve anything. Things are going to go up."

Also "going up" is Etuhu's profile in Nigeria and across the world - and with that he hopes his new website, dicksonetuhu.com, can help him connect with his Fulham and Super Eagles fans.

"I want to reach out to fans and get in contact. I urge fans to get in contact," says Etuhu. "It is very important for fans to have the opportunity to reach out and know more about me."

As dicksonetuhu.com suggests, Etuhu is an enthusiastic user of social online media, tweeting regularly and also boasting a regular column with the London Evening Standard newspaper.

His personal website is an online 'work of art'. It appears no detail, nor expense, has been spared and is certainly a match for any sporting personality's website across the globe.

"It has got blogs, videos and my own current thoughts," Etuhu enthuses. "It's news all about me and Fulham for the fans."

Etuhu genuinely wants football fans to take this season's journey with him - and given last season's success, it should be another exciting ride.

"I have always believed in myself and every day I am feeling younger, quicker, and stronger. Daily, I set myself high targets that I make sure I reach."