News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I see Finnster has gone back in the Navy.

Started by FatFreddysCat, October 22, 2010, 01:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

Never drink ESB before taking the most advanced Sub we've got out for a quick spin . Hello sailor  :015:

The Doctor

Haha, my brother's in the RN.  I'm going to get loads of mileage out of this...unlike the Astute's crew!

The Equalizer

I love how the Beeb likes to announce all of our defense 'secrets'.

Firstly, we're not going to have any aircraft carriers for about 5 years as they're scrapping the Ark Royal. Then announcing the super 'stealth', makes-Stingray-look-like-the-Yellow-Submarine submarine has got Uncle Albert as the captain.

What's wrong with defense in this country?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on October 22, 2010, 01:04:06 PM
Never drink ESB before taking the most advanced Sub we've got out for a quick spin . Hello sailor  :015:

Oi mate,

No worries Mr Fred, my days with the old Peas and Gravy are long gone. However this story reminds me of the Falklands in that nobody had figured out to properly test our Sea Dart missiles (surface to air missiles) before we went there so when we finally needed to use them, nothing worked and we got bombed like a sitting duck. Even Big Sam would have been able to think about doing that before going to war. To quote the BBC  story:

"Speaking to the BBC last month, HMS Astute's commanding officer, Commander Andy Coles, said: "We have a brand new method of controlling the submarine, which is by platform management system, rather than the old conventional way of doing everything of using your hands.

"This is all fly-by-wire technology including only an auto pilot rather than a steering column."

"fly-by-wire technology?" No it isn't, it looks like nothing has changed and it is all seat-of-the-pants technology and in the end of the day it is the lads in the uniform that will save the day come hell or high water  :028:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

JBH

As an ex S & T boat Submariner (70 - 90's) I am a bit baffled how they ran aground where they did, its well out of the safe channel, I expect that the Navigator was on the lash in the F.B.I in th Kyle of Lochalsh the night before  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

finnster01

Quote from: JBH on October 22, 2010, 09:11:30 PM
As an ex S & T boat Submariner (70 - 90's) I am a bit baffled how they ran aground where they did, its well out of the safe channel, I expect that the Navigator was on the lash in the F.B.I in th Kyle of Lochalsh the night before  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
I still blame the joystick mate. Can't beat the hands-on of those salty dogs Sir.

JBH

Quote from: finnster01 on October 22, 2010, 09:18:03 PM
Quote from: JBH on October 22, 2010, 09:11:30 PM
I still blame the joystick mate. Can't beat the hands-on of those salty dogs Sir.

Yep sitting in the corner making out you where a Jumbo Jet pilot was defo the best!!

JezamyBates

I was in the armed forces for over 20 years. The men and women in the army are some of the bravest people in the history of this country

JBH

And the ones in Submarines are all slightly mad and earn more dosh than the rest  :54:

finnster01

Quote from: JBH on October 22, 2010, 09:36:09 PM
And the ones in Submarines are all slightly mad and earn more dosh than the rest  :54:
That may be true mate, but they also smell the worst  :dft012:

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: finnster01 on October 22, 2010, 10:34:01 PM
Quote from: JBH on October 22, 2010, 09:36:09 PM
That may be true mate, but they also smell the worst  :dft012:

Only slightly mad JBH ? My brother was in the Aussie sub corp for 4 years, around 1980-83 and I can assure you he is more than slightly mad ! He even supports Arsenal (but did accompany me to The Cottage a few times where he cheerd for The Whites at an LB challenging volume). He did his training at Pompey before serving on our Oberon class subs. All diesel powered and yes, they and all who served aboard were seriously smelly !

Lighthouse

I used love listening to the Navy Lark - A bit from The Lighthouse episode

Navy Lark The Lighthouse Lark Part 1
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope