watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Targett still looks very good

Started by The Swan, February 24, 2019, 11:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Matt Targett looked good against Arsenal today. He could be Southampton danger man on Wednesday night.

We must keep an eye on him as we must win this game to have any chance of staying up.
The Swan

filham

Just crazy that we have played through a Premier league season with a left back who is not as good as the one we had in the Championship.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: filham on February 25, 2019, 04:23:16 PM
Just crazy that we have played through a Premier league season with a left back who is not as good as the one we had in the Championship.

And right back

hovewhite

The above is so Fulhamish.crazy but true!!

JoelH5

Quote from: Newry FFC on February 25, 2019, 05:00:07 PM

And right back

Yes, this is the more telling one.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

filham

Quote from: Newry FFC on February 25, 2019, 05:00:07 PM

And right back

That is right, thanks.

David I

Targett.... The left back that Joka actually wanted!

Yes Southampton held out for a higher transfer value know we were in desperate need for players but dropped their asking price same day the recruitment panic bought Bryan. Could have got the right player in but no...

The Rational Fan

Quote from: David I on February 25, 2019, 07:46:12 PM

Yes Southampton held out for a higher transfer value know we were in desperate need for players but dropped their asking price same day the recruitment panic bought Bryan. Could have got the right player in but no...

Where do people get the idea that Southampton dropped their asking price on Targett. In truth, Southampton knew that more than us that forcing us to get a new left back would make relegation less likely for them.

Southampton thought Huddersfield, Cardiff and one other team are going down (out of about six teams including us and them).

Sting of the North

How do you know they dropped their price?

David I

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 26, 2019, 01:13:39 AM

I recall they were holding out for 20m then dropped back down to 15m (correct me if I'm wrong on figures) last day of the window.. we still went on to buy Bryan
It was quoted on every sports news channel at the time along with many verified accounts.

MJG

Quote from: David I on February 26, 2019, 07:51:33 AM

I recall they were holding out for 20m then dropped back down to 15m (correct me if I'm wrong on figures) last day of the window.. we still went on to buy Bryan
It was quoted on every sports news channel at the time along with many verified accounts.
we signed Bryan and then they dropped price. We did a take it or leave it offer... They left it we moved on.
Just the views of a long term fan

Statto

Quote from: MJG on February 26, 2019, 08:06:25 AM

we signed Bryan and then they dropped price. We did a take it or leave it offer... They left it we moved on.
We signed Bryan during the last moments of deadline day so they can't have dropped the price *after* we signed Bryan. Maybe it was not long before but not after. Suspect we proceeded to Bryan to stick two fingers up at them, but the egg is clearly on our faces now

MJG

Quote from: Statto on February 26, 2019, 08:42:56 AM

We signed Bryan during the last moments of deadline day so they can't have dropped the price *after* we signed Bryan. Maybe it was not long before but not after. Suspect we proceeded to Bryan to stick two fingers up at them, but the egg is clearly on our faces now
ignore the take it leave it comment won't you? We got Bryan out of his Villa medical got him signed. Why is it egg on our face? I'd not have paid 20m for him and they messed us around. Just because they came back with 15/16m after we commited to Bryan I'm glad we didn't pay for another LB at same time.

MJG

Of course I'm forgetting that with you as DOF we would have got every target we went after, not overpaid, had a balanced squad and currently competing for first place. My mistake.

Statto

Quote from: MJG on February 26, 2019, 08:54:34 AM
Quote from: Statto on February 26, 2019, 08:42:56 AM

ignore the take it leave it comment won't you? We got Bryan out of his Villa medical got him signed. Why is it egg on our face? I'd not have paid 20m for him and they messed us around. Just because they came back with 15/16m after we commited to Bryan I'm glad we didn't pay for another LB at same time.

Not sure why you're getting so precious about it. Maybe too early in the morning for you to be online.

It's egg on our face because we are going down and they're not. And because if we could have had Targett for £15/16m, there's not a single person on this board who'd say they prefer Bryan at £6m.

Your initial post, deliberately or not, suggested they lowered the price *after* we had signed Bryan and I'm simply challenging that. I'm not ignoring the "take it or leave it" comment - on the contrary, i can easily believe we did indeed make a 'take it or leave it' offer, but nothing stops you from going back to a deal after making an offer like that except principles or stubbornness.

toshes mate

Quite frankly I get tired of hearing about price quibbles on here.  Price does not ever equate to value i.e. what was the value of Targett's loan to FFC?  The loan pointed to the value of Targett to FFC in the promotion drive and as a PL player.  It's the same argument about Fredericks and his extortionate 'price' demands when he is looking, as all players do, at their value to the team they are currently playing in. 

And just to make the point very loudly what exactly has been the value of Mawson this season and was that a price worth paying.  That isn't a criticism of Mawson the individual because I still hope he'll recover fitness, but the whole point of spending money is to get value for it.  Fredericks and Targett would have made a whole lot more sense than Bryan and Christie at whatever price if their presence was making our PL position safe.

The fixation on price is trite.

David I

Quote from: MJG on February 26, 2019, 08:58:48 AM
Of course I'm forgetting that with you as DOF we would have got every target we went after, not overpaid, had a balanced squad and currently competing for first place. My mistake.
TBF... There's probably a fair few on this board that would make a much better job of DoF than TK..... Just by basic football knowledge alone.

Sting of the North

Quote from: David I on February 26, 2019, 10:50:54 AM
TBF... There's probably a fair few on this board that would make a much better job of DoF than TK..... Just by basic football knowledge alone.

Maybe you're right, but I am not so sure. It is easy to be an armchair expert, not as easy to produce results in real life.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 26, 2019, 11:11:35 AM

Maybe you're right, but I am not so sure. It is easy to be an armchair expert, not as easy to produce results in real life.

I'm also inclined to think I could do a better job than Tony Khan, and Mackintosh for that matter, but it's irrelevant anyway unless you subscribe to the frankly absurd view that you can't criticise or challenge anything unless you could a better job yourself. Because that would probably mean no football fan (or even pundit or manager over 50) could ever criticise any player's performance. Nor could most people ever criticise their team's manager, nor any doctor who bodges an operation, lawyer who bodges a legal case, a crap film, etc etc...

Sting of the North

Quote from: Statto on February 26, 2019, 01:40:00 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 26, 2019, 11:11:35 AM

I'm also inclined to think I could do a better job than Tony Khan, and Mackintosh for that matter, but it's irrelevant anyway unless you subscribe to the frankly absurd view that you can't criticise or challenge anything unless you could a better job yourself. Because that would probably mean no football fan (or even pundit or manager over 50) could ever criticise any player's performance. Nor could most people ever criticise their team's manager, nor any doctor who bodges an operation, lawyer who bodges a legal case, a crap film, etc etc...

I don't know if that was directed at me, and that you believe that I inferred that I subscribe to the view that you can't criticize or challenge anything unless you could do a better job yourself. But if that is the case you are completely incorrect, since that would be an absolutely ridiculous point of view. I merely stated that it is (at least most of the time) easy to be an arm chair expert. I may also add that one of the reasons that it is easy is that you can always choose to criticize something in isolation, and rarely have to address to full picture.

Whether or not you would do a better job I cannot have an opinion on, since I don't know you or your credentials. I am however fully supportive of your right to voice your complaints (and I will likewise normally challenge them if I disagree and find the time to do so).