https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Squad for the Championship

Started by chrisburt13, February 25, 2019, 09:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hovewhite

Quote from: Milo on February 25, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
Quote from: Statto on February 25, 2019, 10:43:32 AM
Bit of a pointless discussion until we know who's staying. Personally I think with the right amount of cash, an ambitious plan for next season, good man management and lateral thinking on exit clauses, Nordvelt, Sessegnon, Cairney, Seri, Markovic, Mitrovic and Kamara can all be retained. I'd also be looking to get Kalas back on loan.

Mitrovic will go... why stay? Jokanovic gone? Dropped back down?

If Seri still has a bee in his bonnet re: Barca transfer.. I find it unlikely (just human nature!) he will suddenly readjust his horizons from Champions League to Championship in the space of two years during the prime of his career.

I think Sess and Cairney are big question marks. Could go either way.

Would like to see Nordtveit, Markovic, and Babel stay. Would actually turn into very good business as latter two are free transfers.

However.. big question we have to first ask is.. where do we want to be 5 years?

If it's back in the Prem.. we need to build a team likely to survive in the Prem and these players have failed the acid test this year.

If we are happy to play good football in the Championship for the near future, and embrace what the Championship has become... ie a great league, with great away days etc... then we can keep most of these players on, bring back Joka, and just crack open a few beers!

a night on the piss to celebrate the closing comments!in fact make it a week.hic

Statto

Quote from: hovewhite on February 25, 2019, 05:30:51 PM

If Seri still has a bee in his bonnet re: Barca transfer.. I find it unlikely (just human nature!) he will suddenly readjust his horizons from Champions League to Championship in the space of two years during the prime of his career.

If Mitrovic was offered a decent wage, the captaincy, a manager he respects, a high likelihood of us returning to the PL within a year and a promise that we'll release him if not, I suspect he'd stay. The alternative is what - somewhere like Bournemouth, West Ham or if he's lucky, Everton? Would he take the risk of going there just to return to the poor form and general happiness levels he had at Newcastle?

As for Seri, if a Champions' League team had wanted him last year they would have got him. In reality he couldn't do better than a team that was among the 4-5 favourites to go down and has actually failed to meet even those expectation levels, with Seri failing to stand out in one of the worst teams to have ever graced the top flight. I doubt he'll have any good teams in for him and even if he does, he's on a 4 year deal so I'd tell him he's staying whether he likes it or not, rather than sell him at a loss to escape a mess for which hes significantly responsible.

Milo

Quote from: Statto on February 25, 2019, 06:55:55 PM

If Mitrovic was offered a decent wage, the captaincy, a manager he respects, a high likelihood of us returning to the PL within a year and a promise that we'll release him if not, I suspect he'd stay. The alternative is what - somewhere like Bournemouth, West Ham or if he's lucky, Everton? Would he take the risk of going there just to return to the poor form and general happiness levels he had at Newcastle?

As for Seri, if a Champions' League team had wanted him last year they would have got him. In reality he couldn't do better than a team that was among the 4-5 favourites to go down and has actually failed to meet even those expectation levels, with Seri failing to stand out in one of the worst teams to have ever graced the top flight. I doubt he'll have any good teams in for him and even if he does, he's on a 4 year deal so I'd tell him he's staying whether he likes it or not, rather than sell him at a loss to escape a mess for which hes significantly responsible.

Agreed that Seri needs to face facts. However I don't think he will! Just human nature to aim high.

Robbie

How many PL players would you really want to retain?  Most will be massively demotivated and probably looking for new jobs.

We probably need a very good clear out.

res

Quote from: chrisburt13 on February 25, 2019, 09:58:50 AM
Good morning,

Following on from our defeat from West Ham, I think even the most optimistic of Fulham fans will accept we are as good as relegated. This got me thinking about our squad for next season, and the players likely to stay/build a team around to get back up to the Premier League for next season. (that being said, i'm not expecting us to bounce straight back up). Let me know what you think of the squad below i think we're likely to retain, and those I think will go;

Goalkeepers

Bettinelli
Rodak
Luca Ashby-Hammond

Defenders

Odoi
Ream
Le Marchand
Christie
Bryan
Mawson
Steve Sessegnon

Midfielders

McDonald
Kebano
Johansen
Anguissa
Cisse
O'Riley
de la Torre
Edun

Forwards

Ayite

I think there will be a lot of departures as below;

Goalkeepers

Rico
Fabri

Defenders

Chambers
Nordtveit
Fosu-Mensah

Midfielders

Ryan Sessegnon
Cairney
Seri
Markovic

Forwards

Mitrovic
Babel
Schurrle
Vietto
Fonte
Kamara

Clearly from that list, we will end up needing to bring in new players, so a big summer (again!) from us, as even my list only has us with 18 players.

Is there anything you disagree with, who do we need to bring in and build the team around?

I'd have a new manager, and make Mawson the captain, and build the team around him, and look to get promoted in our second season back in the Championship..

Not much difference to what I've put down. Would add Nordtveit (if he comes good...or someone , physically like him, to partner Mawsum
Quote from: chrisburt13 on February 25, 2019, 09:58:50 AM
Good morning,

Following on from our defeat from West Ham, I think even the most optimistic of Fulham fans will accept we are as good as relegated. This got me thinking about our squad for next season, and the players likely to stay/build a team around to get back up to the Premier League for next season. (that being said, i'm not expecting us to bounce straight back up). Let me know what you think of the squad below i think we're likely to retain, and those I think will go;

Goalkeepers

Bettinelli
Rodak
Luca Ashby-Hammond

Defenders

Odoi
Ream
Le Marchand
Christie
Bryan
Mawson
Steve Sessegnon

Midfielders

McDonald
Kebano
Johansen
Anguissa
Cisse
O'Riley
de la Torre
Edun

Forwards

Ayite

I think there will be a lot of departures as below;

Goalkeepers

Rico
Fabri

Defenders

Chambers
Nordtveit
Fosu-Mensah

Midfielders

Ryan Sessegnon
Cairney
Seri
Markovic

Forwards

Mitrovic
Babel
Schurrle
Vietto
Fonte
Kamara

Clearly from that list, we will end up needing to bring in new players, so a big summer (again!) from us, as even my list only has us with 18 players.

Is there anything you disagree with, who do we need to bring in and build the team around?

I'd have a new manager, and make Mawson the captain, and build the team around him, and look to get promoted in our second season back in the Championship..

I would add Nordtveit (or someone, physically, like him to partner Mawson) and see whether we could move Le Marchand on as we only need 2 of him, Ream and Odio. Edun may be optimistic as has been very injury prone. I would bring in Hangeland as a defensive coach as he talks defensive sense, still has an affection for Fulham, and could bring in stronger players in from Scandinavia. If someone can fix Kamara's head I would add him...he, potentially, can destroy defences but recognise that, at the moment, he only destroys himself. I would do everything to keep Mitrovic and would be happy with Babel if a deal could be done, and if Kamara is still out. Norwood, again, would be OK to supplement the midfield.
A manager who knows the Championship is vital, as are the sort of players who can cut it in the Championship, and who have a "feel" for the club, meaning minimal loanees.

May be irrelevant, of course, if we stay up but my forever optimism is fading.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on February 25, 2019, 10:43:32 AM
Bit of a pointless discussion until we know who's staying. Personally I think with the right amount of cash, an ambitious plan for next season, good man management and lateral thinking on exit clauses, Nordvelt, Sessegnon, Cairney, Seri, Markovic, Mitrovic and Kamara can all be retained. I'd also be looking to get Kalas back on loan.

If we sell anyone, we should buy Kalas. I prefer loan players in other positions, centre back and centre midfield should be FFC owed players. Tony Khan and SJ with a plan to get promoted from the championship in our last season of parchate payments that ended at Wembley, now we have more money and a better team on paper (but not in practice), we need to get promoted with a plan.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on February 25, 2019, 06:55:55 PM

I actually think a year or two in the Championship may suit a number of players. The squad has two years to get promoted with parchate payments before a massive sell-off, where only those that want to stay will. Most of the players (including Mitrovoic,  Anguissa and Seri) are more likely to play international if playing in the championship rather than fighting for a place in the Premier League.

The only players that will very keen to leave are those offered Champions League starting XI, Mitrovoic and Seri need to improve to worthy of such a place.

The Rational Fan

Next Years Squad

1. Betts, Fabri, Rodak, Luca Ashby-Hammond
2. Christie, S.Sess, Fossey, Odoi 
3. Bryan, MLM, Edun, Odoi
4. Kalas, Norveideit, Odoi   
5. Mawson, Ream, MLM
6. Anguissa, McDonald, Cisse
7. Markovic, Kamara, Elloiit
8. Seri, Johosen, ORiley
9. Mitrovoic, New (with R.Sess $), Forte
10. Cairney, Vietto, Kebano
11. Babel, Atyie, Torres

Wages £55m-£65m (assuming SK give £48m for this season and next season)

Departures : R.Sess, Rico, Chambers and Schullre
Arrivals : R.Sess for Kalas, Backup Striker, Vietto and Norveideit

Wages Calculation = £60m = £38m - £3m +  £17m + £8m =
£38m Championship Wages "including Christie, Kalas, Cairney & Mitro" minus £3m for "Button, Fredricks, 50% Targett, Norwood, Piazon"
plus £17m for "Fabri, Mawson, MLM, Bryan, Anguissa, Seri & Vietto" plus £8m for "Norveideit, Markovic, Babel and Backup Striker".

Good enough on paper to Win Championship. I think keeping Mitro motivate most of the rest to stay.

junior white

Quote from: hovewhite on February 25, 2019, 05:14:25 PM
Quote from: junior white on February 25, 2019, 05:11:34 PM
Stef and Odoi would need new deals wouldnt they? thought there contracts were up at the end of this season
think the club can extend by another year.
Yes just saw that for Dennis but couldnt see it for Stef.

hovewhite

Quote from: junior white on February 26, 2019, 12:13:31 PM
Stef and Odoi would need new deals wouldnt they? thought there contracts were up at the end of this season
be surprised if no extra year Claus for Stefan as we will need him and Mac next season.

junior white

Quote from: hovewhite on February 26, 2019, 12:24:16 PM
Quote from: junior white on February 26, 2019, 12:13:31 PM
be surprised if no extra year Claus for Stefan as we will need him and Mac next season.
agree