more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Squad for the Championship

Started by chrisburt13, February 25, 2019, 09:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisburt13

Good morning,

Following on from our defeat from West Ham, I think even the most optimistic of Fulham fans will accept we are as good as relegated. This got me thinking about our squad for next season, and the players likely to stay/build a team around to get back up to the Premier League for next season. (that being said, i'm not expecting us to bounce straight back up). Let me know what you think of the squad below i think we're likely to retain, and those I think will go;

Goalkeepers

Bettinelli
Rodak
Luca Ashby-Hammond

Defenders

Odoi
Ream
Le Marchand
Christie
Bryan
Mawson
Steve Sessegnon

Midfielders

McDonald
Kebano
Johansen
Anguissa
Cisse
O'Riley
de la Torre
Edun

Forwards

Ayite

I think there will be a lot of departures as below;

Goalkeepers

Rico
Fabri

Defenders

Chambers
Nordtveit
Fosu-Mensah

Midfielders

Ryan Sessegnon
Cairney
Seri
Markovic

Forwards

Mitrovic
Babel
Schurrle
Vietto
Fonte
Kamara

Clearly from that list, we will end up needing to bring in new players, so a big summer (again!) from us, as even my list only has us with 18 players.

Is there anything you disagree with, who do we need to bring in and build the team around?

I'd have a new manager, and make Mawson the captain, and build the team around him, and look to get promoted in our second season back in the Championship..

Statto

Bit of a pointless discussion until we know who's staying. Personally I think with the right amount of cash, an ambitious plan for next season, good man management and lateral thinking on exit clauses, Nordvelt, Sessegnon, Cairney, Seri, Markovic, Mitrovic and Kamara can all be retained. I'd also be looking to get Kalas back on loan.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on February 25, 2019, 10:43:32 AM
Bit of a pointless discussion until we know who's staying. Personally I think with the right amount of cash, an ambitious plan for next season, good man management and lateral thinking on exit clauses, Nordvelt, Sessegnon, Cairney, Seri, Markovic, Mitrovic and Kamara can all be retained. I'd also be looking to get Kalas back on loan.
whatever happens next season I hope we have  a policy of minnimum loans. I might if I was in charge restrict it to three at most.
Just the views of a long term fan

chrisburt13

Quote from: MJG on February 25, 2019, 10:52:09 AM
whatever happens next season I hope we have  a policy of minnimum loans. I might if I was in charge restrict it to three at most.

This is it, we've relied on 5-6 loans for the last two seasons, leaving our squad short each summer. I think Having just 3 loans would definitely help, then we wouldn't be in this constant cycle of having to rebuild.

MJG

Quote from: chrisburt13 on February 25, 2019, 10:54:47 AM

This is it, we've relied on 5-6 loans for the last two seasons, leaving our squad short each summer. I think Having just 3 loans would definitely help, then we wouldn't be in this constant cycle of having to rebuild.
I understand fully why they did it last season but no foundations was the outcome in retrospect, its one of many lessons I hope they take on board.
Just the views of a long term fan

chrisburt13

It may be pointless, but the purpose of the post was to see what others thought about who we would realistically retain and build a squad around next season, not to be taken seriously.

Those 18 with potential incomings from the sales of Mitrovic, Cairney and Sessegnon, along with parachute payments should give us a nice budget - we can draw parallels to when Newcastle were relgated - sell our few premier league quality players to generate money and re-invest the money wisely into a promotion pushing squad.

chrisburt13

Quote from: MJG on February 25, 2019, 10:57:01 AM
Quote from: chrisburt13 on February 25, 2019, 10:54:47 AM

I understand fully why they did it last season but no foundations was the outcome in retrospect, its one of many lessons I hope they take on board.

Agreed - a bit off topic, but they seem to still be learning on the job, and hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes quickly.

Sting of the North

Quote from: chrisburt13 on February 25, 2019, 10:58:14 AM

It may be pointless, but the purpose of the post was to see what others thought about who we would realistically retain and build a squad around next season, not to be taken seriously.

Those 18 with potential incomings from the sales of Mitrovic, Cairney and Sessegnon, along with parachute payments should give us a nice budget - we can draw parallels to when Newcastle were relgated - sell our few premier league quality players to generate money and re-invest the money wisely into a promotion pushing squad.

In your proposed situation, surely also Seri and Kamara would provide us some decent funds. As well as a few quid for Fabri and Fonte. I don't think however that we will lose all those players. Interesting discussion as such, but I still find it really hard to guess what direction we will be heading once relegation is absolutely certain.

Skatzoffc

Not to be flippant, but we have failed to secure a permanent centre back for the last four seasons now when it has been painfully obvious that's what we need the most.

I can't see a change in the signings personelle happening any time soon.
So more of the same and a slide into Div 1 seems favourite imo.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Sting of the North

Quote from: Skatzoffc on February 25, 2019, 12:16:49 PM
Not to be flippant, but we have failed to secure a permanent centre back for the last four seasons now when it has been painfully obvious that's what we need the most.

Wait, do you mean that Mawson is not a centre back? Because I am sure he is on a permanent contract (which also applies to MLM by the way).

The Rational Fan

If the Khans do maximum equity investment the wages bill should be around £55m to £60m which should a very good squad for the Championship. Jokavoic got up with a £35m to £40n wage bill.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes I agree
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

chrisburt13

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 25, 2019, 12:03:51 PM

In your proposed situation, surely also Seri and Kamara would provide us some decent funds. As well as a few quid for Fabri and Fonte. I don't think however that we will lose all those players. Interesting discussion as such, but I still find it really hard to guess what direction we will be heading once relegation is absolutely certain.

Very true - we could be looking at a coupe of 100M should all those deals go through - an oversight by me.

Also, I agree, it is hard to guess which direction we should go in - we do need to bring back an identity to our club, all of which i hope becomes clear after relegation is confirmed - a statement from the chairman at the end of the season addressing the issues fans have raised this season would be nice.

chrisburt13

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 25, 2019, 12:52:55 PM
If the Khans do maximum equity investment the wages bill should be around £55m to £60m which should a very good squad for the Championship. Jokavoic got up with a £35m to £40n wage bill.

Exactly this - and along with hopefully learning from our mistakes this season, we can hopefully be in a better position next time around, should we get promoted!

chrisburt13

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 25, 2019, 12:43:11 PM
Quote from: Skatzoffc on February 25, 2019, 12:16:49 PM

Wait, do you mean that Mawson is not a centre back? Because I am sure he is on a permanent contract (which also applies to MLM by the way).

The fact that this person thinks we'll go straight down to league one suggests enough about them...

Statto

Quote from: chrisburt13 on February 25, 2019, 01:00:50 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 25, 2019, 12:03:51 PM

Very true - we could be looking at a coupe of 100M should all those deals go through - an oversight by me.

Also, I agree, it is hard to guess which direction we should go in - we do need to bring back an identity to our club, all of which i hope becomes clear after relegation is confirmed - a statement from the chairman at the end of the season addressing the issues fans have raised this season would be nice.

No way that lot will realise £100m over their book values. I'd expect the sales of Seri, Kamara, Fabri and Fonte to be neutral in accounting terms. Maybe we can get some money from Mitrovic, Sessegnon and Cairney, but with the latter two having failed to impress this year, and Sessegnon only having a year left on his contract, I don't see us getting more than £20m for the pair.

Statto

I'm also still struggling with the logic of those who get excited about the prospect of selling some good players so we can use the money raised to buy... some more good players.

The last few windows have shown us the perils of transfer business led by Tony Khan and Mackintosh.

Why can't we just keep the players we have, instead of swapping them for another bunch of random unknown quantities thrown together at the last minute next August?

hovewhite

would rather start with the OPs squad and add AK and another 2 strikers as think that TC may stay and think this squad would be in play offs easy,if you add to that TK hasn't got a clue so the less he's involved the better so he cant damage the squad any more.

junior white

Stef and Odoi would need new deals wouldnt they? thought there contracts were up at the end of this season

hovewhite

Quote from: junior white on February 25, 2019, 05:11:34 PM
Stef and Odoi would need new deals wouldnt they? thought there contracts were up at the end of this season
think the club can extend by another year.