watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Mobile phones.

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, February 25, 2019, 05:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigbadBillyMcKinley

So, I'm due an upgrade in August (long way off I know, but need to start researching) and I currently have an iPhone 8. I'm not so sure about Apple products anymore. I hate the fact that with every update, it makes the phone worse, not better. I don't like not being able to download snide tv and films etc. And they are so damn expensive.
So, my question is this: should I stick with what I know and just get a newer iPhone, or switch and get something else? And if so, to what?
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

JoelH5

I switched to a Samsung Galaxy. So, SO MUCH better! I'm never going back. Everything works well and is easy to use. Absolutely anything can be changed to your liking if desired. Camera is better, screen is better, was much cheaper. I got the S8 plus outright last July. Only like £500.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

CincyFulham1

Quote from: JoelH5 on February 25, 2019, 06:00:00 PM
I switched to a Samsung Galaxy. So, SO MUCH better! I'm never going back. Everything works well and is easy to use. Absolutely anything can be changed to your liking if desired. Camera is better, screen is better, was much cheaper. I got the S8 plus outright last July. Only like £500.

0001.jpeg

BigbadBillyMcKinley

See, I had a galaxy S3 years ago. I upgraded and got an iPhone. Then I got used to it. But the more I have them, the more I dislike them. Buts it the advertisement I guess.
As a side note, my girlfriend was going to get me a bottom of the range MacBook for my birthday, went to curry's and the bloke suggested something else. In the end we went together. For the price Apple (which I decided against!) I got a 4K tv and a Windows laptop. They did throw in all sorts of discounts to be fair, but I'm much happier with that choice. Maybe Apple is on the decline.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

JoelH5

I work in a creative industry. For work I use my iMac. The software I use only works on OSX (Mac). I love it and wouldn't change it. If you're a general user though, PCs are much better. As I say about the mobile phone, Android has come on a great deal in the last ten years and Samsung Galaxy is, in my opinion, the best Android based phone.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

bobbo

I wish I knew as much as you all about it. I've an iPhone 5s bought new about 5 years ago and just got £6 per month deal with sky unlimited calls,texts,got all my what's app etc. Too old to start learning more -I think.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

gezkc

I'm using a Sony Xperia XZ3 and it's by far the best phone I've ever had. Great screen, extremely fast, well made. I'd definitely recommend one if you're thinking of switching to Android.

ALG01

I got a Sony XA2 recently, the camera is brilliant and the phone exceptional.
I got a brilliant deal buying it unlocked without a contract on e-bay from a pucker trader.
Contract upgrades usually end up with your prices rising in my experience unless you are on the verge of leaving.

Not a fan of I phone althought apple stuff works seasmlessly together but you do not own the things you buy (music)

H4usuallysitting

For the price - I find Motorola to be good value.... I purchased the phone & pay £11/month for all my needs

MJG

Quote from: JoelH5 on February 25, 2019, 06:00:00 PM
Never had an Apple but have had going backwards S8/S6/HTC one/S3 and then others, but for me Galaxy are miles ahead as a completer package of any other. Nothing beats the camera on them either. Looking forward to getting the S10.
Just the views of a long term fan

FFCBerks

Switching from an iphone to Android is a revelation - but be mindful that the 'flavour' of android you get depends on the manufacturer as they all add their own versions of key software, like email clients and messenger. Pure, stock android is available on Google's own phone range, Pixel, which whilst not as popular as Samsung's range does have a couple of benefits - android updates are sent to pixel devices on day zero (Samsung and other manufacturers have to tweak updates to work with their hardware and apps, with updates frequently 6+ months behind Pixel, if that bothers you) and the camera on the Pixel 3/3XL is widely considered to be the best on the market, owing to proprietary software. For all other functionality, there's never much between each brand's offerings. Read a few reviews/comparisons that include the Pixel 3 as it's a phone that's easy to miss. It's probably cheaper than the new Samsung S10 too, seeing as it has been out since October.

KJS

Just switched from Samsung to HUAWEI P20 PRO and it is excellent

Lateksie

Honestly, I just do no understand those people who are telling that they turned from iPhones to Samsung, and they are saying that it is waaay better. Howeverm I would not agree with you at all. I have been using samsung smartphones for a couple of years. When I got my first iPhone, I got so excited, it is ten times better, the ios is way more pleasant than the android, and it is not that laggy. Right now, I have a iPhone 11 pro, which I adore, however I do not agree with their policy right now with the 12th iPhone. Recently I got myself the airpods pro, maaan they are just sooo awesome. I even got myself some custom airpod cases. I guess they are the most awesome wireless headphones.

Fulhamfan666

I have an iPhone XR now and it's fantastic. Great battery, so much memory. 10/10

LittleErn

Quote from: bobbo on February 25, 2019, 06:51:40 PM
I wish I knew as much as you all about it. I've an iPhone 5s bought new about 5 years ago and just got £6 per month deal with sky unlimited calls,texts,got all my what's app etc. Too old to start learning more -I think.

Be careful when using this. It is not receiving updates anymore, so the security is in question. OK as long as you don't put any information on it that you want to keep private and don't use it for online banking etc. You will also notice that more and more apps will not work on the out of date operating system. Not a problem if you don't use many apps.

sunburywhite

I moved from Apple to Samsung Galaxy and didnt really like it over the Apple plus battery was going inside a day quite often, so switched back to Apple 11S. The battery is amazing, cant make a dent in it.

Ever so happy with it
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Radiowhite

If finances allow, I would never switch from apple. Having had many androids in the past, I know for sure apple is superior. I have the 11 now and battery life, speed, resolution, camera and all else is perfect. And they look nicer

rebel

Phones are over rated, it's a bit like 'keeping up with the Jones', they get a better phone, you want a better phone, so it goes on. The Apple's, Samsung's know this, the improvement in technology is minimal now, but they play on this. Tot up the monthly costs over the last 10 years. Add's up to lot. I've got a Nokia 530 with a Pay As You Go sim.

Also the digital signal is rubbish compared to an analogue mobile phone signal.

Cambridge Pete

Now retired used to work in Mobile Comms industry. (Not on the technical side). Some of our techies thought Apple no longer best equipment but superstars at Marketing. I have a £7.50pcm SIM contract  1000 mins calls Unlimited texts and 10Gig data. I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro. for just over £100. Keep for a couple of years works out at under £13 per month. A lot cheaper than a package contract. At the end of the day it's a personal choice.

fcfulham55

Usually get the latest Galaxy, and can use it for my work on the go.

If I decide I want to head to a pub or coffee shop, I have 5G so notifications reach me. And I can deal as and when I need to no problem. Use IG a lot, and can set up limit and buy orders.  Add some slippage in it to safe guard myself and I usually can enjoy the entire day 30 minutes after open or all day until the run up to the closing bell. Knowing I can quickly unlock and open the app fast can be critical sometimes to amend orders, the iPhone wasn't' reliable enough for me.
Sent from my Nokia 3310