watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Those former players who have taken the chair

Started by bog, March 05, 2019, 09:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I offer a list of former players since I started going who have taken over the hot seat..and it aint been much hotter than now! Plus marks out of ten.

Bedford Jezzard 10 (My main man) Beddy had to retire through injury and soon took over and took us to division 1 in his first season. He was treated shamefully by the club he had served so long and resigned after Alan Mullery was sold with out he knowing.   

Johnny Haynes (caretaker for a month) 10 (cos anything he did was top class)

Bobby Robson 6.5  But they never gave him time to get going.

Bill Dodgin jnr 7 I don't think Bill gets the credit he deserves. After dropping two divisions in two seasons he did steady things and got us back up. (And he bought a car off me for £100!) 

Malcolm MacDonald 9 Supermac took over with no experience but brought some real quality football to the Cottage and wherever we played.

Ray Lewington 8.5 through really hard times but he was FFC through and through

Paul Bracewell. 5.5 We played some very negative football under Paul, and I still lament throwing that lead away at Filbert Street in the League Cup when he took all our attackers off.   

Chris Coleman 8 Chris may have lost his way after a while but he gave us that 3-1 win at Old Trafford, this led to me hugging my wife in excitement without a solicitor's letter of introduction.

Kit Symons 6. He did steady the ship after the Maggot, but he would not give Roberts a chance and then we really went down hill defensively but I regard him as a respected former player.   

Whoever it was who did a stint while we harangued Slav!

Scott Parker.....watch this space folks.  049:gif

One who should have...Alan Mullery.

No doubt I have forgotten someone!

Thank you and good night

092.gif

Courtesy of snarks I now add Mickey Adams 11. How could I forget him.  :doh: We are all aware of how he lifted the club from the depths of despair. Old fool is me. 

toshes mate

Excellent post, bog, and I concur although my memory of BJ's stint is very hazy and incomplete. 

The caretakers between Symons and Jokanovic were Grant and Gray if I recall correctly.

bog

Quote from: toshes mate on March 05, 2019, 09:40:01 AM
Excellent post, bog, and I concur although my memory of BJ's stint is very hazy and incomplete. 

The caretakers between Symons and Jokanovic were Grant and Gray if I recall correctly.

Thanks Tosh!

ron

spikey norman

Karl  Heinz Riedler

bog

bog

Quote from: ron on March 05, 2019, 10:15:28 AM
Frank Osborne in the dim and distant....

Frank was before me ron. But he held about every position at the club.

Fulham1959

"Paul Bracewell. 5.5 We played some very negative football under Paul, and I still lament throwing that lead away at Filbert Street in the League Cup when he took all our attackers off."

I was baffled by the 'abuse' PB got for that.  Isn't it a fairly common move when you want to keep hold of a lead ?  It's done every week, surely, by some manager or other.  I can't remember, though, whether he did take 'all' of the attackers off, so I bow to greater knowledge.

spikey norman

Does anyone know who managed the team during the second half away to Orient when Jimmy Hill sacked Don McKay?
Was it Jimmy himself?

ron

Quote from: bog on March 05, 2019, 10:36:53 AM

My grandad wrote to him recommending Jim Langley when Jim was at Brighton. grandad knew Jim.Whether the letter made any difference who knows?

bog

Quote from: ron on March 05, 2019, 11:15:45 AM

My grandad wrote to him recommending Jim Langley when Jim was at Brighton. grandad knew Jim.Whether the letter made any difference who knows?

Glad he wrote it, must have started something off.  :Haynes The Maestro:

filham

Frank Osborne took us to the top flight in English football for the first time in our history, he had inherited a good team but made a master signing at Christmas time in Rowley a striker with a lethal left foot who scored loads of goals that took us to promotion.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Malcolm MacDonald's success was due to his man management skills and having a brilliant coach in Ray Harford.

bog

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on March 05, 2019, 02:36:37 PM
Malcolm MacDonald's success was due to his man management skills and having a brilliant coach in Ray Harford.

The perfect set up. I met Malcolm and he was so full of enthusiasm. He said he had no thought of going into management until he heard two managers talking in the bar after a game and they spoke so much crap he thought he would have go. Both times he left the club I was really disappointed.

sunburywhite

I wonder which club has had the most number of former players as managers?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

bog

bog

Quote from: sunburywhite on March 05, 2019, 08:12:27 PM
I wonder which club has had the most number of former players as managers?

Well we have had 11 from 1958 so must be in the running.

092.gif

Milo