watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cardiff 11 points better than us.....

Started by Marinelloguthrie, March 09, 2019, 07:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marinelloguthrie

Obviously terrible season for us with many reasons why but to be 11 points behind Cardiff is shocking.
I always try to be positive but looking back, in hindsight nothing felt right from the beginning. Maybe a lesson to be learnt is that going up with so many loan players is a short term gamble that is not ideal but in the overall picture of supporting Fulham a gamble worth taking as it includes that day at Wembley. We had to replace the loanees but in reality this squad is nowhere near the quality of the Tigana one and we had a difficult first season then.

JoelH5

It's because with their defence they are harder to beat. They will get the odd lucky win. Our defence is so woefull even if we manage a lucky goal like today, it's never enough.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Fulham76

Not sure what Cardiff have to do with how good or bad we are??

They're a better team than us. Higher points total last season to seal automatic promotion & beat us, scoring 4 earlier this season.

As things stand, Cardiff are much better than us.

SuffolkWhite

The defence was suspect last season we just out scored teams. Thing is I genuinley felt Chambers, Mawson and Ream would see us alright in the centre but thats not the case.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on March 09, 2019, 07:52:35 PM
Obviously terrible season for us with many reasons why but to be 11 points behind Cardiff is shocking.
I always try to be positive but looking back, in hindsight nothing felt right from the beginning. Maybe a lesson to be learnt is that going up with so many loan players is a short term gamble that is not ideal but in the overall picture of supporting Fulham a gamble worth taking as it includes that day at Wembley. We had to replace the loanees but in reality this squad is nowhere near the quality of the Tigana one and we had a difficult first season then.

The loanee conundrum will probably haunt us again next year. West Brom had a purple patch this season due in part to a loanee from Leicester, the guy who skinned Odoi today, who was recalled heralding a drop in form. Although still in the play off places the West Brom manager is now out of work as of about an hour ago. I would have say that apart from Chambers when he is on form I cannot see where a loanee has really benefitted us recently. Cue all the stuff about Targett but I would need a bit more convincing.

The Rational Fan

Cardiff have top Centre Backs, as indicated with stats better than ManUnited, Arsenal or Chelsea.

Cardiff: Sol Bamba - 7.15 and Sean Morrison - 6.87
ManUnited: C. Smalling - 6.86 and V. Lindelöf - 6.75
Arsenal: S. Mustafi - 7.03 and Sokratis - 6.72
Chelsea: D. Luiz - 7.1  and A. Rüdiger - 6.8

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ScalleysDad on March 09, 2019, 08:03:18 PM

The loanee conundrum will probably haunt us again next year. West Brom had a purple patch this season due in part to a loanee from Leicester, the guy who skinned Odoi today, who was recalled heralding a drop in form. Although still in the play off places the West Brom manager is now out of work as of about an hour ago. I would have say that apart from Chambers when he is on form I cannot see where a loanee has really benefitted us recently. Cue all the stuff about Targett but I would need a bit more convincing.

The Tigana squad cost more than double this one (compared to revenue), so its unsurprising we look like getting half the points (ie. 22). The sad reality is the three teams (Cardiff, Hudderfield and Fulham) that has spent the least on "transfers - inflation adjusted" for their squad are going down.

FFC finances will have been improved with parchate payments next year and once we start building Riveside better players will sign for us as we have ambition. For me, next season will start with a great squad, i hope that results match.

Bluebird23

Quote from: JoelH5 on March 09, 2019, 07:54:06 PM
It's because with their defence they are harder to beat. They will get the odd lucky win. Our defence is so woefull even if we manage a lucky goal like today, it's never enough.

Ask West Ham fans about lucky wins (check out just how many goals we've conceded as well, ouch). If it wasn't for some good saves by Fabianski and some shocking finishing by Niasse, today could have been 6-1 to us.

Sadly, for us, pretty much all the other results went against us, and I see us going down.

If Warnock hadn't wasted pretty much all of the transfer kitty on average championship players, and bought even one half decent striker, we may well have stayed up.

As much as I live in hope, see you in the Championship.

Bluebird23

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 09, 2019, 08:08:22 PM
Cardiff have top Centre Backs, as indicated with stats better than ManUnited, Arsenal or Chelsea.

Cardiff: Sol Bamba - 7.15 and Sean Morrison - 6.87
ManUnited: C. Smalling - 6.86 and V. Lindelöf - 6.75
Arsenal: S. Mustafi - 7.03 and Sokratis - 6.72
Chelsea: D. Luiz - 7.1  and A. Rüdiger - 6.8

Sean Morrison has been woeful this season. Looked completely out of his depth. When he was out injured we won two on the bounce and conceded one goal. Warnock then brought him straight back in and we lost three in a row, conceding 10 goals.

Bamba and Manga are our two best centre backs, but Manga has been shifted to right back most of the season to accommodate Morrison. Still, with Bamba out fir the season, it's Morruson and Manga till the end.

Milo

Quote from: Bluebird23 on March 09, 2019, 08:34:04 PM

Ask West Ham fans about lucky wins (check out just how many goals we've conceded as well, ouch). If it wasn't for some good saves by Fabianski and some shocking finishing by Niasse, today could have been 6-1 to us.

Sadly, for us, pretty much all the other results went against us, and I see us going down.

If Warnock hadn't wasted pretty much all of the transfer kitty on average championship players, and bought even one half decent striker, we may well have stayed up.

Warnock did buy a striker to be fair..

Penfold

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 09, 2019, 08:26:48 PM

The Tigana squad cost more than double this one (compared to revenue), so its unsurprising we look like getting half the points (ie. 22). The sad reality is the three teams (Cardiff, Hudderfield and Fulham) that has spent the least on "transfers - inflation adjusted" for their squad are going down.

FFC finances will have been improved with parchate payments next year and once we start building Riveside better players will sign for us as we have ambition. For me, next season will start with a great squad, i hope that results match.

Do you honestly think players will sign because of the stand?

What they are being paid will be a primary concern.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Penfold on March 09, 2019, 09:07:13 PM

I think players will sign if they can see we have ambition. We have the money to pay them, but doubt Premier League players will sign if we cancel building the stand.

filham

Quote from: Fulham76 on March 09, 2019, 07:57:03 PM

They're a better team than us. Higher points total last season to seal automatic promotion & beat us, scoring 4 earlier this season.

Cardiff were not better than us in the second half of last season, we were streets ahead of them.

More changed over the summer than we realised although a lot can be put down to not replacing the two good full backs we lost.

Bluebird23

Quote from: Milo on March 09, 2019, 08:44:24 PM

Warnock did buy a striker to be fair..

We desperately needed one signed last Summer, May have meant a couple more points.

Penfold

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 09, 2019, 09:18:27 PM
Quote from: Penfold on March 09, 2019, 09:07:13 PM

I think players will sign if they can see we have ambition. We have the money to pay them, but doubt Premier League players will sign if we cancel building the stand.

Ambition would be to say we are going to try and do a Wolves 😉😂

JoelH5

Our attack is better than yours. The problem is, our defence is nowhere near as organised or composed as yours.

Yes. I look forward to playing you next season.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Fulham76

Quote from: filham on March 09, 2019, 09:32:31 PM

Cardiff were not better than us in the second half of last season, we were streets ahead of them.

More changed over the summer than we realised although a lot can be put down to not replacing the two good full backs we lost.

I didn't mention the 2nd half of the season, but over the entire season, they were the better team, which is why they were promoted automatically.

This season, again, they are better than us, significantly better. They're way ahead of us in terms of points & beat us comfortably, scoring 4 in the progress.

As I said initially, not sure why we are being compared to them but, without doubt, they're the better team.

Statto

In three consecutive seasons Leicester finished 14th, 1st and 12th. Does that mean the same bunch of players went from being the 14th best in the league, to the best, then back down to 12th, in the space of 3 years?

Of course not. It just shows teams can over- and underachieve.

Cardiff had less talent than us last year and weren't particularly good at football, but they played well above themselves.

This season, most of our players are grossly under-performing.

And credit where it's due, this year Cardiff, whilst they don't have anyone of the same calibre as Seri, Cairney or Mitrovic, are a well-balanced, well-practised, motivated unit with tactics that play to their strengths.

Taunton Blue Genie

Quote from: filham on March 09, 2019, 09:32:31 PM

We Cardiff fans know that our team is very limited in many ways and that staying up is highly unlikely. However, our players put their heart into what they do and we do not think that we have the automatic right to finish above any particular team. Although we are likely to be relegated we are currently 11 points ahead of Fulham (and finished above you last season) - and one or two posters on here still seem to have a bit of a superior attitude. It will be interesting to see how both clubs fare next season after the drop. The amount of money you spent at the beginning of this season may, unfortunately, come back to haunt you.

Fulham76

Quote from: Statto on March 09, 2019, 11:39:27 PM

In three consecutive seasons Leicester finished 14th, 1st and 12th. Does that mean the same bunch of players went from being the 14th best in the league, to the best, then back down to 12th, in the space of 3 years?

Of course not. It just shows teams can over- and underachieve.

Cardiff had less talent than us last year and weren't particularly good at football, but they played well above themselves.

This season, most of our players are grossly under-performing.

And credit where it's due, this year Cardiff, whilst they don't have anyone of the same calibre as Seri, Cairney or Mitrovic, are a well-balanced, well-practised, motivated unit with tactics that play to their strengths.

Or in other words, they're a better team.