watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Defenders for the Championship.

Started by AnOldBrownie, March 17, 2019, 04:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

Anyone know good CBs that might be good targets for next years squad?   MLM is leaving...Chambers is a loanee who may leave (hope he stays but he may want to go to an EPL team on loan)..and Mawson may not be able to stay healthy.

I'm of the opinion that Fulham needs to do better than Dennis Odoi as a CB (or as a fullback)

The only championship CB/FB I know is Axel Tuanzebe (Aston Villa).   Villa would fight to keep him, and United won't sell him outright.

WokingFFC

S. Sess, Mawson, Ream, Odoi will be fine!

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: WokingFFC on March 17, 2019, 05:11:30 PM
S. Sess, Mawson, Ream, Odoi will be fine!

That's 4 CBs.   A team needs 6.   Especially with Mawson as one of the six.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Statto on March 17, 2019, 05:01:21 PM
Kalas

Wow...I watched all of Fulham's games from the 17-18 season and I thought Kalas was forgettable in the championship.   He's worse than Ream and Odoi as a CB imo.

hovewhite

Deeping_white

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on March 17, 2019, 05:20:33 PM
Kalas

Wow...I watched all of Fulham's games from the 17-18 season and I thought Kalas was forgettable in the championship.   He's worse than Ream and Odoi as a CB imo.

What? Ream had half a season where he was good during the two seasons Kalas was here, and Kalas was just unlucky that after coming back from an injury we were winning consistently so joka didn't want to change a winning team. I'd happily have him over Odoi or Ream next season next to Mawson - he's quick, strong and happy with the ball at his feet and that's what we need

Skatzoffc

We need some height/strength in defence.
We are easily the smallest team in the prem defensively. Pretty much the same in the Championship.

Let's face it we've been after a decent CB pairing for 4 seasons and still haven't got one decent CB let alone a pair.

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

H4usuallysitting

Dare I start a Zak Knight thread....or maybe a Gary Cahill thread... isn't he available on a free in the summer

Statto

Kalas

Each to their own I suppose. He was our best defender IMO and is now doing the business again with Bristol City. He knows our club and players, plays RCB (Mawson plays LCB) and would probably be available on loan. Perfect IMO

Although FWIW I think a competent manager should be able to make a good chsmpionship defence out of Bryan, Sessegnon, MLM, Ream, Odoi, Mawson, Christie and the other Sessegnon

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Statto on March 17, 2019, 08:02:52 PM
Kalas

Each to their own I suppose. He was our best defender IMO and is now doing the business again with Bristol City. He knows our club and players, plays RCB (Mawson plays LCB) and would probably be available on loan. Perfect IMO

Although FWIW I think a competent manager should be able to make a good chsmpionship defence out of Bryan, Sessegnon, MLM, Ream, Odoi, Mawson, Christie and the other Sessegnon

Now I'm curious as to what I missed.   I'm going to go back and watch the 2017 season.

LOL...Watching the first game of the 2017 season (Reading)...Kalas got sent off with a red card 1 minute into the game.   Wow.

fcfulham55

Bring back Barry Hayles and clone him 11 times.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on March 17, 2019, 04:53:26 PM
Anyone know good CBs that might be good targets for next years squad?   MLM is leaving...Chambers is a loanee who may leave (hope he stays but he may want to go to an EPL team on loan)..and Mawson may not be able to stay healthy.

I'm of the opinion that Fulham needs to do better than Dennis Odoi as a CB (or as a fullback)

The only championship CB/FB I know is Axel Tuanzebe (Aston Villa).   Villa would fight to keep him, and United won't sell him outright.

How do we know MLM is leaving? I suspect he'll get back in the team sometime.

Statto

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on March 17, 2019, 10:28:31 PM
Kalas

Now I'm curious as to what I missed.   I'm going to go back and watch the 2017 season.

LOL...Watching the first game of the 2017 season (Reading)...Kalas got sent off with a red card 1 minute into the game.   Wow.

Maybe just skip to the end and see how that season ended

although it does sound like your tape recorder might be f****d because reading wasn't the first game

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 17, 2019, 10:49:10 PM

It was posted in another thread that there was an article in the Times today...

"Also says that Seri, MleM and Schurrle have relegation  pay cuts built in  to their contracts and would want to  go."

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Statto on March 17, 2019, 10:57:29 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on March 17, 2019, 10:28:31 PM
Kalas

Maybe just skip to the end and see how that season ended

although it does sound like your tape recorder might be f****d because reading wasn't the first game

First AWAY game...and the first game posted on Fulhamfctv's 90 Minutes series after their Caraboa Cup game.   August 12th 2017.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on March 17, 2019, 10:58:27 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 17, 2019, 10:49:10 PM

It was posted in another thread that there was an article in the Times today...

"Also says that Seri, MleM and Schurrle have relegation  pay cuts built in  to their contracts and would want to  go."

We have to avoid selling everyone that wants to leave, especially those three guys didn't have great seasons. Even, if Mitro wanted to go, i wouldn't let him go. If we spend huge money of transfer fees and let everyone that wants to leave leave we will go broke fast.

We didn't sign bad players this year, but they aren't much bettter than our relegation opponents and we just haven't bedded them down yet. We need to avoid selling players, if Mitro sucks so be it by the second game he'll want to play. These guys signed a contract, they have to honour it.

simplyfulham

I'd like us to have a look at Martin Kelly (Crystal Palace), Tyrone Mings (Bournemouth) and Daniel Ayala (Middlesbrough).

And yes to Tomas Kalas as well. If you think he's not up to that level then frankly you want your head looked at.

..FOF..

Someone said in another thread that Wolves had built a Champions League worthy defence since in the EFL.

I think the result speaks for itself now.

Both short term and long term results.

Maybe the management can come to a consensus;

* Tony can use his computers to recruit midfielders and attackers

* The coach will have 100% choice with goalkeepers and defensive players

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ..FOF.. on March 18, 2019, 04:14:32 AM
Someone said in another thread that Wolves had built a Champions League worthy defence since in the EFL.

I think the result speaks for itself now.
Both short term and long term results.

I think one of the lessons learnt is build a strong defensive spine (especially CBs) before going up without loan players.

I see the wisdom in loan players, but getting promoted with centre-back loan players is a bad idea (loan wingers, reserves and GK).

Kalas would have done marginally better than Odoi and Ream in Premier League, especially against some teams.