watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Defenders for the Championship.

Started by AnOldBrownie, March 17, 2019, 04:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarkey

Ream and Odoi were mismanaged this year of course. They were good last year, we were short of a CDM to cover them, but both played well and with understanding. But then we had a strong area dominating keeper behind them. This season has been awful with no confidence inducing keeper. We should have stuck with Betts.

Then on the same central base of last year add Chambers and Anguissa and you have a decent defence with McDonald as back up. It is the full backs where the problems are.Christie is a waste of space,and last year Freddo and Targgett were a source of strength, this year our full backs were weakness.

So like last year we need two full backs, bring S Sess into the team and try and keep MLM.Buy Chambers.

Let all the loanees go then and all the dross like Vietto and other lightweights.We already had too many similar players.At least two goal scorers, and yes Dan Burn coming back would be great.Like Dunk is a rock for Brighton, we need that.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 18, 2019, 05:32:22 AM
Quote from: ..FOF.. on March 18, 2019, 04:14:32 AM
Someone said in another thread that Wolves had built a Champions League worthy defence since in the EFL.

I think the result speaks for itself now.
Both short term and long term results.

I think one of the lessons learnt is build a strong defensive spine (especially CBs) before going up without loan players.

I see the wisdom in loan players, but getting promoted with centre-back loan players is a bad idea (loan wingers, reserves and GK).

Kalas would have done marginally better than Odoi and Ream in Premier League, especially against some teams.

What's the problem with loan players? I assume the concern is it appears to give us a transient team, but that's easily remedied. The simple solution is, if the loan works out well and you get promoted, make the signing permanent at the end of the season. That's what Wolves did and it's not rocket science.

Also, what makes people think that, without our own Jorge Mendes, we'll be able to attract CL (or even PL) quality players in the Championship? Not happening. If the likes of Seri and Mitrovic leave, we won't be replacing them with players of the same standard. Our target level for any new signings will have to be good Championship players like Kalas, whether we like it or not.

..FOF..

Quote from: Statto on March 18, 2019, 07:37:58 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 18, 2019, 05:32:22 AM
Someone said in another thread that Wolves had built a Champions League worthy defence since in the EFL.

I think one of the lessons learnt is build a strong defensive spine (especially CBs) before going up without loan players.

I see the wisdom in loan players, but getting promoted with centre-back loan players is a bad idea (loan wingers, reserves and GK).

Kalas would have done marginally better than Odoi and Ream in Premier League, especially against some teams.

What's the problem with loan players? I assume the concern is it appears to give us a transient team, but that's easily remedied. The simple solution is, if the loan works out well and you get promoted, make the signing permanent at the end of the season. That's what Wolves did and it's not rocket science.

Also, what makes people think that, without our own Jorge Mendes, we'll be able to attract CL (or even PL) quality players in the Championship? Not happening. If the likes of Seri and Mitrovic leave, we won't be replacing them with players of the same standard. Our target level for any new signings will have to be good Championship players like Kalas, whether we like it or not.

I think we could attract CL quality players if the age criteria is not an issue with the recruiting team.

Thus the reason I hope the coach can be given 100% transfer choice when it comes to defence only.

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on March 18, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Concur with this; better to loan and be sure a player fits the system before signing permanently.  We also need to retain decent players like the Norwood's and Kalas's to have a spine that can be relied upon.   

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ..FOF.. on March 18, 2019, 12:23:16 PM
I think we could attract CL quality players if the age criteria is not an issue with the recruiting team.

Thus the reason I hope the coach can be given 100% transfer choice when it comes to defence only.

I suspect the age criteria is related to how much FFC is willing to pay for older players and when the cost is amortized.

In other words, FFC pays older player less than other clubs, especially if the players wants a mutliple year contract.

Jims Dentist

Maybe the management can come to a consensus;

* Tony can use his computers to recruit midfielders and attackers

* The coach will have 100% choice with goalkeepers and defensive players

Talking of Wolves one of the CD's displaced has been snapped up up by Bruce to play for Sheff Wed.
Iorfa, possibly only on loan, tall strong, powerfull, just what we would need next season.
When it comes to recruitment Bruce knows his stuff.