watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Technical Director of Football for Fulham

Started by 3rdgenfan, April 04, 2019, 12:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rdgenfan

I was at a presentation yesterday at Wembley where Alan Pardew said he was preparing to take on a role as a technical director of football at a club.

He wouldn't elaborate on where but he said he would be soon

I think we could do worse and would take him on. At least he has some football experience and was manager of the season once.

What do you think?

ScalleysDad

Absolutely and perfectly positioned on a fence with that one. If it is us then Khan is at least listening and acting in double quick time. It might work, Pardew and Parker.

filham

I wouldn't quarrel with it but would prefer someone with a Fulham background.

hovewhite

aaronmcguigan

Ranieri was manager of the season once too, doesn't mean he was a good fit.

Got to be sceptical around an appointment like this. Whilst he has football experience, what experience does he have as a technical director? Smells like an appointment akin to when we appointed Alan Curbishley just for the craic.
This is a technical director. This is what it should be like. Not a fella sitting on sky sports news who is in and out of jobs primarily for a constant new manager bounce

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47766043

H4usuallysitting

He's a local lad & supports Fulham - so why not.... he's also got a bit of passion about him.... didn't he knock over a lino & nut a footballer

WhiteJC

Quote from: filham on April 04, 2019, 12:28:11 PM
I wouldn't quarrel with it but would prefer someone with a Fulham background.

Pardew is a Fulham fan

grandad

Wouldn´t say no to him but only as D of F.
Where there's a will there's a wife

b+w geezer

He is local and did attend CC a bit as a lad, although has previously disagreed that he was a supporter.
If he's ready to end his Team Managerial aspirations, then this does seem conceivable, yes.

I was looking for particular connections and failed on the Scott Parker one, in that although they have both served time at Charlton, West Ham and Newcastle, it was never at the same time. They almost uncannily kept missing each other.

However.... Southerner Mike Ashley had Pardew for years as his manager at Newcastle and took a lot of persuading to  fire him. I don't think they fell out.

Ashley is a long-time pal of FFC Non-Executive Director, David Daly, who has recently became Chairman of Ashley's company Sports Direct.

May add up to nothing, but if Shad Khan was asking for ideas from David, one can imagine he might have responded that Pardew might be a possibility and that he'd have a word.

If someone is coming in, soon would be the time to do it, giving a proper chance for Summer planning.

JimmyConway

Pardew is a Chelsea fan his Dad was a Fulham fan.

b+w geezer

Quote from: JimmyConway on April 04, 2019, 01:58:57 PM
Pardew is a Chelsea fan his Dad was a Fulham fan.
Yep. Other boyood Chelsea fans included Fred Callaghan, Tony Gale and Sean Davis, all of whom went on to give us great service.

simplyfulham

Alan Pardew... are you f**king kidding me?

bigalffc

Quote from: grandad on April 04, 2019, 01:23:58 PM
Wouldn´t say no to him but only as D of F.
Yes this! Make TK Director of all things not football related.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

b+w geezer

Quote from: simplyfulham on April 04, 2019, 02:23:08 PM
Alan Pardew... are you f**king kidding me?
By which you may mean that his career in football has been littered with failures and controversies, intersprersed with successes.
And you may not warm to your impressiion of him as a person.
Nor have liked the idea of him as the next team manager.
(These are guesses, but if correct, you'd not be alone).

Nevertheless, if it's now about moving upstairs to a position in which knowledge of the top two English divisions is required, and decades within the industry. Plus availability right now to plan for next season.... then  as ridiculous suggestions, go maybe not so.

Bassey the warrior

Is this the same role as director of football? If so, then it's less important to have been a manager and more important to have a good scouting network available, was Pardew involved in scouting players?

toshes mate

I'd just like someone in the DoF role who doesn't need a laptop to either distract them from watching or to convince them whether or not a player is a suitable fit for FFC's management, coaching and playing style.  If that is their chief quality as a professional football person then they are worthy of consideration, but, if not, then forget it. 

filham

Quote from: hovewhite on April 04, 2019, 12:43:38 PM
I read somewhere that he's a Fulham fan.
Well with a job like that in the offing he would have to be wouldn't he.

Southcoastffc

All this 'he's a Fulham fan......a local lad' is utterly irrelevant.  The ONLY criterion is whether he is the best person to do the job.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

aaronmcguigan

what we need is an authoritative figure who will come in and establish a culture, a way of doing things, a Fulham way from which all decisions can then be made, someone who is fully respected who can communicate and mobilise the clubs vision throughout all levels of the club as well as throughout its fanbase.

Needs to be someone responsible who can identify talent as well as making the most of the academy. Fostering, developing and maintaining a relationship with the clubs manager and all levels of hierarchy is also essential.

It's got nothing to do with whether he's a fulham fan or the fact he managed a few teams once. It can be someone out of the spotlight who is focused on the long term while delivering results, not someone being given a job because he's unemployed and can give an opinion as a pundit.
The role now more than ever , requires a huge amount.
Furthermore, the role will completely be undermined if Tony remains anywhere near the footballing side of things. If he is in the Fulham family, let it be around revenue, sponsorship or brand building, something which will play to his strengths.

b+w geezer

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 04, 2019, 04:39:28 PM
The ONLY criterion is whether he is the best person to do the job.
I'd add -- who is available in plenty of time to plan for next season.
That will by definition mean someone not currently in work, which will probably in turn mean that he's failed in his last job, albeit in the case of Pardew or similar, the job here would differ from that.
In all the circumstances, I'd be relieved to think that the Chairman was acting on his fine words of yesterday without delay,