more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (12/04/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 12, 2019, 08:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham FC 2018-19: A Disaster in Dreaming Big

It is very difficult for me, or perhaps for anybody, to remember the optimism that seemed to be seeping out of Craven Cottage at the start of this season.

Fulham were fresh from their promotion campaign in the Championship and they barely had time to breathe before the transfer spending began; over a hundred million pounds were spent by the time the deadline hit in August.

They and Wolves, recently promoted too from the Championship, were both tipped to have excellent seasons – after all, with the players they had both bought in, the money that they spent, it seemed almost infeasible that they wouldn't have good seasons.

While Wolves have had a season defined by incredibly clever tactical plays, rapid counter-attacking and scalps against the top-six teams, Fulham have become synonymous with the worst the Premier League has to offer, a drainage of pre-established talent that has fans and perhaps the players themselves scratching their heads as to what happened.

None of the signings that Fulham made (not including their January additions) had showed any signs previously of showing stage fright; André Schürrle is a former Chelsea winger and World Cup winner, Jean Michaël Seri was touted by Barcelona before joining Fulham, André-Frank Zambo Anguissa was highly rated from his time at Marseille.

Even Joe Bryan, the left-back, was touted by a gluttony of clubs after an excellent season for Bristol City in the Championship. Fulham not only spent a lot of money on players, but they spent a lot of money on players that, on paper at least, seemed like low-risk, high-reward options.

And perhaps they were just that! Yet something has happened at Fulham this season, a naivety or hopelessness that clunked down from manager to manager, which seemed to drain the players of their capabilities, their very obvious natural talents.

Three different managers with three different sets of ideas and preferred players obviously does not help, but there was something wrong with Fulham from the moment that they kicked a ball this season – something tangible, yet almost unexplainable, that led to complete disarray of ideas on the pitch as well as off it.

Explaining these kinds of mental, organisational deficiencies could either be simple or extremely complicated as, after all, we could just pinpoint the problem as being their shocking inability to sign better defenders, and the complete chaos that these particular defenders always seemed to leave behind them whenever they played with each other.

It's true that it is totally impossible to overstate just how bad Fulham have been at defending this season. In the club's 3-0 home defeat to Bournemouth, one of the goals had both of Fulham's full-backs caught on the same side of the pitch, near the halfway line, and one of the centre-backs on the floor right next to them, leaving one centre-back, a defensive midfielder and a winger to try and, unsuccessfully, chase the Bournemouth players away from scoring.

It is a snapshot of a season in chaos, of defending so bad that it would make any back-line in any footballing league collectively blush. Want to see the problems with Fulham's Premier League campaign? There you go, there's your answer, they can't defend, case closed.

But maybe the answer is more complicated than that, if only a bit. There are a host of Premier League sides that you could point to as having spent lots of money and still ultimately ended up being relegated; QPR went down twice doing this, while you only have to look back on last season, with Stoke and Swansea both getting relegated, as an example of two teams going down despite spending massive transfer fees and paying huge wages (figures that Swansea are now massively paying for in the Championship).

Fulham are more unique however, or perhaps just stranger, in the way in which that money was spent – the big summer splurge has been highly documented but the January period, a time where performances were improving slightly and the areas in need of strengthening were at their most obvious, is clouded in multiple questions.

Why did they leave two out of their three signings until deadline day, which took place after a critical run for the team? Why was the only defensive addition made in January Håvard Nordtveit, a terrible ex-West Ham defender who, after immediately being slotted into the first-team by Claudio Ranieri, consistently committed multiple individual errors as the season petered out?

Ranieri was brought in to save the club, to steady the ship, and for his entire time at Fulham he talked about the need to strengthen in January, to bring in his own types of players. Where did that commitment to backing Ranieri go?

The most devastating thing about Fulham's relegation is that Fulham very clearly had an excellent side coming up from the Championship, a side known for playing fast attacking football with multiple talented youngsters embedded throughout the team.

And they broke it up.

Fan favourites like wonder-kid Ryan Sessegnon and creative midfielder Tom Cairney, both sensational in the Championship, have had disheartening, confused seasons, mainly down to managers either not trusting their abilities or playing them in the wrong areas of the pitch.

It is not a stretch in the slightest to suggest that the team that won that play-off final, if left exactly as it was, would have made a much more interesting and impressive attempt to stay up than the new team, the one which cost 100 million pounds to assemble, mustered.

Fulham absolutely, objectively, had a good team, and they decided to break it up, separate its winning components in favour of adding more expensive, shinier ones. This is the simple tragedy of Fulham's relegation – that their quest to become a Premier League force quickly, to not settle for survival and instead immediately challenge the top ten, proved that a team's ambition can be their immediate downfall.

Worse teams than Fulham have stayed up through the team-spirit of that initial promoted team, the discipline that they learnt together to get promoted, the connection they had to the badge, to the club. Fulham may well have been relegated with that same play-off winning side, of course that is possible, maybe even likely, but it is hard to argue that they would have gone down with the same kind of whimper.

Now who will want Fulham's players, the wages that they have added to the bill, how can they recoup the signings that they've made? Logic dictates that they cannot keep, or convince, players like Jean Michaël Seri to play at least a season in the Championship yet, on the flip-side of that, who will be convinced to sign him? A huge summer of selling, selling and probably more selling is to come for Fulham – one hopes that this season is not simply the beginning of tough times ahead.

https://90maat.com/fulham-fc-2018-19-a-disaster-in-dreaming-big/

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Marek Rodák claimed a valuable win in Rotherham's push for safety in a 2-1 win over Nottingham Forest. Michael Smith opened the scoring before Lewis Grabban levelled the affair. Michael Ihiekwe's goal on the hour moved the Millers to within one point of safety.

Stefan Johansen's efforts fell short at The Den as West Brom recorded a surprise defeat to strugglers Millwall. Former Fulham man Ryan Tunnicliffe struck for the hosts before the misery was compounded with an Ahmed Hegazi own goal which was swiftly followed by his dismissal.

Conference pairing Aron Davies and Rob Atkinson both tasted defeat in their match-ups but played the entirety. Davies fell to a 2-0 defeat as Maidstone lost out to promotion chasing Salford. Similarly, Atkinson went down 3-1 with Braintree against another high-flier Wrexham.

Jón Dagur Thorsteinsson was actively involved in Vendsyssel's quest to pick up points as he claimed an assist in their 1-1 draw with Randers. The winger was withdrawn after 75 minutes.

Aboubakar Kamara tasted his first stretch of game time in a Yeni Malatyaspor shirt but his side lost 3-0 to Turkish giants Galatasaray. Mbaye Diagne scored a hat-trick to keep his side second in the SüperLig as The French forward was substituted deep into added time.

Rui Fonte didn't make it onto the pitch in Lille's 1-1 draw with Reims. His brother, Jose, scored the only goal for the visitors as they continue to push for second spot in Ligue 1.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/april/08/loan-round-up

WhiteJC

Council blasted for 'incompetence' over Hammersmith Bridge closure

Hammersmith and Fulham council have been criticised for an apparent lack of transparency over the Hammersmith Bridge, which has been closed indefinitely over safety concerns.

The suspension bridge over the Thames was found with "critical faults" that would risk the safety of users and the council said it had "no choice" but to shut the bridge.

The Labour-run council said there had been plans to refurbish the bridge – which it described as 132-year-old, Grade II listed structure that was "never designed for modern traffic" – but that government budget cuts meant Transport for London (TfL) was unable to fund the vital works.

It said it was "sorry" for not providing drivers with more notice.

However, a number of local and national politicians hit out at the council for failing to provide information on the condition of the bridge and called for responsibility to be given to another authority.

Zac Goldsmith, the MP for Richmond, which offered to take over the bridge, said the council's failure to answer questions from MPs and council leaders had left them "in the dark".

"Responsibility for the bridge should be taken away from them. I wrote to Chris Grayling last month and asked him to intervene as a matter of urgency. I await his response," he tweeted.

Former minister and MP for Chelsea and Fulham, Greg Hands said the council and the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, needed to "get a grip" . "They have handled the bridge incompetently – so much so that neighbouring Richmond have even offered to take it over," he said.

A spokesperson for Khan said it was right that the council took the decision to close the bridge until it was safe for motorists to use and denied that the closure was the result of any mismanagement.

"The council own the bridge and are responsible for its maintenance and refurbishment," they said. "However, TfL are looking at what they can do to assist the council to get the bridge back open, while helping them identify the money in the long term to fully upgrade the bridge.

"Refurbishment work would require substantial further design work and funding, at the same time as central government has decimated council budgets and removed TfL's operational grant for day-to-day running costs.

"Councils and TfL need the certainty of a long-term steady and sustained funding arrangement from government to allow London to cover the costs of its own infrastructure maintenance."

The bridge had become a cause for concern after severe weight restrictions meant the council drastically cut the number of buses using the bridge, allowing only one bus to travel in either direction at a time. The crossing had also been subject to days of closure last summer while repair works were carried out.

Caroline Pidgeon, chair of the London Assembly's transport committee, said the council had "arrogantly" refused to publish details about the state of disrepair the bridge had fallen in to.

"Hammersmith and Fulham Council claim that the bridge has suddenly had to be closed due to safety concerns, yet the council has for many years arrogantly refused to publish any information about the structural state of the bridge, she said. "The council has not helped itself by being so secretive."

She said "no action" had been taken to repair and strengthen the bridge, at a "huge cost" to taxpayers.

"If both Hammersmith Council and TfL had simply worked together we would not be facing this serious situation.

"Sadly due to incompetence, secrecy and attempts to make cheap political points many people, and especially bus passengers, are now facing severe disruption."

http://www.cityam.com/276146/council-blasted-incompetence-over-hammersmith-bridge

WhiteJC

Scott Parker not focused on his future following relegation

Fulham caretaker manager Scott Parker says he is more focused on improving his relegated team than trying to get the job on a permanent basis.

Parker has been in charge for five games since being appointed until the end of the season following Claudio Ranieri's departure at the end of February.

But he has been unable to save Fulham from relegation, which was confirmed following the 4-1 defeat at Watford on April 2.

Parker says he already has one eye on the Cottagers' return to the Championship next season and matters on the pitch remain his immediate priority.

"I've stated before that I am not focusing on myself," he said. "When I got given the role of caretaker I understood and realised the problems. I saw the issues and I understood them and I wanted to improve things. I understood and realised the problems.

"[My future] is not something at the forefront of my mind.

"The most important thing for me is sending out a team which people can look at and see an organisation and a belief and hopefully from that we can get some results. Personally that's the most important thing for me at this moment in time.

Parker was asked whether he has sat down with the club's owner Shahid Khan to discuss his future: "I'm in constant discussion with the owner about how we can improve things and how the club can improve."

"I take this role with a view of it in the long term whether I'm the manager here next year or not. That's the person I am, that's the way it's going to be.

"Of course I can give over all of my ideas over the course of the next five games, to have that constant dialogue which I want to do because I want to help.

"But I have certainly not been speaking on the level of 'am I your guy?'. That's because I'm just focusing on the team and the football club and trying to improve us.

"It's something which is ultimately down to the ownership in terms of who they think is the right person to lead this football club.

"I can't sit here and say it needs to be here, it needs to be there. It's irrelevant to me.

"My main focus is whether I can send out a team on Saturday [against Everton] in which I have 100 per cent faith that they are going to give us everything, they're going to be organised, well structured and go into that game trying to get a result.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11690712/scott-parker-not-focused-on-his-future-following-relegation

WhiteJC

Marco Silva provides triple Everton injury update ahead of Fulham

Silva provides Toffees injury update

Marco Silva has issued an injury update on three Everton stars ahead of their clash with Fulham in the capital this weekend.

The Toffees are enjoying a very nice spell of form going into the game with Fulham.

After a very poor run of form during the winter, Marco Silva came under pressure at Goodison.

Though, it's been a very different story in recent weeks.

Their impressive run started with a 2-0 win over Maurizio Sarri's Chelsea, Richarlison and Gylfi Sigurdsson scoring the goals.

That was followed up with a convincing victory against West Ham.

While the scoreline was officially 2-0, it should be been 6-0 minimum.

Everton then followed that up with an impressive showing against Arsenal.

The Toffees again only won 1-0 but the scoreline could have been much higher.

Now, Everton are looking to continue their run against Fulham and Marco Silva has provided an injury update ahead of their trip to the capital.

Two in, one out

Speaking ahead of the clash with Fulham, Marco Silva has revealed Michael Keane is available for selection.

The central defender had to withdraw from the Everton starting eleven against Arsenal after falling ill.

Though, it worked out for the best as replacement Phil Jagielka scored the only goal of the game.

Silva also revealed that Morgan Schneiderlin has returned to training after an injury.

The Frenchman has not been in the squad for a little while now.

However, there is one piece of bad news.

That is because Yerry Mina is still out with an injury he suffered on international duty with Colombia.

With that in mind, it's likely to be Michael Keane and Kurt Zouma at the back this weekend.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/marco-silva-provides-triple-everton-injury-update-ahead-of-fulham/

WhiteJC

Watford would strike gold by reviving interest in this £30m Fulham ace – Here is why they should make a mov

Watford Opinion: Why the Hornets should sign Zambo Anguissa from Fulham

Back in January 2018, the Sky Sports claimed Watford were interested in signing Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, who was then playing for Marseille. However, a move hadn't materialised and the midfielder stayed put at Marseille.

Before the 2018/19 campaign commenced, Fulham broke their transfer record with the purchase of Zambo Anguissa by paying around £30m on the summer transfer deadline day. However, the move hasn't worked well for the Cameroonian, who has managed just 17 Premier League games.

Fulham's relegation from the Premier League has been confirmed which could see a lot of high-profile names depart from the Craven Cottage at the end of the season. Zambo Anguissa certainly will be desperate to leave the club and reignite his career elsewhere.

Watford should take full advantage of Fulham's relegation and sign Zambo Anguissa when the transfer window re-opens in a few months' time.

The Hornets have been a surprise package this season and currently sit ninth in the table. They are aiming for a place in Europe, with six games left in the season. However, the club could lose Abdoulaye Doucoure in the summer, with Tottenham, Liverpool, PSG and Arsenal all interested in the midfield powerhouse.

Doucoure has been a key member of Javi Gracia's side, scoring five times and adding six assists in the Premier League so far this season. But interest in the Frenchman is massive ahead of the summer and it'll be difficult to keep hold of him if a top European club come calling, even though he is contracted at Vicarage Road until 2023.

If Doucoure leaves Watford in the summer transfer window, Javi Gracia should replace the French midfielder with Zambo Anguissa. Anguissa is renowned for his strength and power coupled with his ability to break up of play at the base of midfield. The Cameroon international is a defensive midfielder by trade, known for his tough tackling, stamina and tireless work-rate.

The 23-year-old protects the backline, recycles possession and is a decent distributor of the ball. Anguissa uses his strength and power to dispossess players before quickly releasing the ball to his teammate. He isn't only about defensive diligence and tackling, the midfielder also possesses the burst of pace which he uses to burst forward from the middle of the park and help the team in the attack.

Verdict
Anguissa may not be creative and a goal-threat like Doucoure is but he knows to stick to his task and help the team ticking over. A tireless midfielder, the Cameroonian would come closest to replacing Doucoure if the French star leaves Watford at the end of the season.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2019/04/11/watford-would-strike-gold-by-reviving-interest-in-this-30m-fulham-ace-here-is-why-they-should-make-a-move/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Everton Preview

It's been a long cold lonely winter, but Everton playing some of that beloved front foot in your face football whilst moving the ball aggressively forward with pace and intent awakens the soul.

It feels like years since it's been here, and knowing the fleeting nature of both Everton and Premier League football, it won't stick around for as long as you or I want.

So it would be a shame with the smiles returning to faces not to write a few words about Everton – tinged with optimism – lest we feel short changed when relegated Fulham roll in their third this coming Saturday and you realise your ambitions have been hoodwinked once again.

That loving siren though.

Three consecutive wins looked highly improbable merely a month ago, but Everton provided a timely reminder (and pertinent life message) that not all your anxieties come true. It was just the tonic needed – at very much the right time. The season has long gone to poo so it was important that growing out of the mire there were some green shoots of hope, something resembling a forming strategy that may – just may – give you a few seasons of getting excited about weekends again, which has been long absent at Goodison.

Such momentum ties fanbases over long football-less summers, invokes renewals of season tickets and generates a general air of goodwill that players pick up on, well before Gomes goes to Arsenal or Spurs in the summer anyway.

It also infuriates me a bit because it's not as if Everton are particularly difficult to work out. Put together a hard working team who aggressively press from the front, throw a tackle in and get the ball forward without fannying about and you will get all the goodwill in the world from Evertonians. And look at the response from the crowd – Goodison is absolutely loving rocking now, in that nice non superficial organic way that Goodison can. There's little doubt it's having a decent affect on the players too, and thus a productive cycle is formed. Keep that poo going, Silva, this is our Everton.

A couple of paragraphs there barely restrained wild eyed optimism, but if you study the ebb and flow of the Premier League season you'll see various clubs around and below us who have gone through a similar winning streak and then it all comes tumbling down. No surprise really in the competitive market of a highly scrutinised billionaire's playground, but although a naff defeat or two is no doubt on it's way, if Everton can retain the nucleus of these principles they'd been adhering to of late then the goodwill won't dissipate too easy. Folk just want to think they're part of a process that somehow is going to enhance that they had before, another ambiguous shot at some poo life coaching there.

Just noticed that my MacBook backlit keys are fucked because I spilt coffee over my keyboard the other day and I'm a bit a bit fuming truth be told. I know this doesn't belong here, but love right off.

Anyway onto Fulham, and I write this with a sort of heavy heart as I just noticed they're already relegated. A shame really as out of all the damned foes Everton must face in a season, Fulham are a lot more tolerable than most. Now I don't mean this in a pat-on-the-head-as-we-take-three-points-off-you style, as you'll notice Liverpool do to the geordies, but more an appreciation for a decent English side with cracking away ground and fans who don't feel the need to overcompensate as much as some of their rivals. Fulham away is a proof that football still can be sound, win draw or lose in what can be a quaint part of the capital – a dead giveaway this when your ground is actually called a cottage.

They've a staunch local support and can often put out teams who play some pleasant togger. In fact if the rest of London took a leaf out of Fulham's book then I dare say you'd have a damn sight more sense of nationalism on the banks of the Mersey. I'm literally one more paragraph from getting an erection over a Spitfire fly by, so a good time to move on swerve utter tinderbox of "should you support England if you're a scouser". Do whatever the love you want, mate, is the only right answer to this.

So there we are on a balmy spring day, Everton are safe from relegation and playing some surprisingly good football as I sip another crisp pint of beer and embrace a rush of endorphins and serotonin, loving hell I'm so at one with my surroundings I even take off my Paul & Shark and place it's wool (irony, noted) around my shoulders. Looking forward to the cricket this summer? You bet I am mate. Off anywhere on holiday? Yes mate up to Scotland, we live on a beautiful isle so no need to leave it for a great time. "Ahoy" shouts Jimmy Hill as he waves pleasantly as he sails past, coxing a boat of ruddy faced youngsters. There's the faint sound of "Bethlehem" playing on the moderately warm air and an apple pings off your mate's head from the tree above, prompting some wag to offer up with some high quality banter about your feet being stuck to the floor. Ah. Britain, as it should be.

Then you step your brand new trabs into four day old Staffordshire bulldog turd and are jerked out of your day dream, trying to escape April hailstones into the nearest pub, on where some obnoxious local with fading bulldog tattoos on his arm asks you to leave his hubcaps alone, and a cheer goes up in the pub as Rees-Mogg appears on Murdoch's channel ripping into Brexit. Jimmy Hill is sadly gone and this is the London, the England, he left behind. "I'm too Sexy" plays on the karaoke, for the third time in one hour, and Bulldog man asks how you feel about taking our sovereignty back. It's ten nicker for a pack of 16 ciggies in the machine, the lines on the Carling haven't been changed since we called it the European Economic Community and you check the team news to see Gomes has snapped his tendons and Walcott starts up front on his own. Roll on Benidorm, roll on Benghazi, just not here, not now.

Anyway, that tithead Scott Parker who we tried to sign for years and kept jibbing us is their Manager and he's looking for their first win. Aye. Here's some of their players:

In fact no we won't talk about their players as I've just had a look and recognised about four of them, and knowing that dyed hair kopite slug Babel scores the winner, and heavily linked Mitrovic plays the game of his life before declaring his Champions League ambitions after the game.

Let's talk about them beautiful bastards in royal blue

Calvert-Lewin has been one of the catalysts for the recent upturn in form. You see now how the "modern forward" (retches) is important to certain systems. He's got the pace to pest balls down channels, early-jumps centre backs into irritation and is becoming more and more adept at holding the ball up and allowing support to go past him into space. He's also a good reason why some of you need to be a little more patient, there's no loving prize for being first to write off young Everton players, you edgy weirdos. It's still likely he won't forge a long career at Everton and if so then sound, we will make money from him. Imagine having an environment where talented young players out of our academy weren't quickly cajoled into a state of scrutiny ridden shell retreat? He will be supported on the flanks by Richarlison – who's looking much more at ease with Coleman on the right – and our beautiful wee nutmegging samba otter over on the left. The little darling. If you're reading this Bernard, please unblock me on twitter and I'll never call you cringey nicknames ever again.

loving hell it's only 3 wins, calm the love down. But on saying that the midfield deserves a little more merit. There's a really good mix of different attributes in there from Sigurdsson, Gueye and Gomes – all married by an infectious work rate. Gomes needs to be signed no matter what, you don't get to better midfields like Arsenal unless there's a player like him in there, willing to forgo Champions League ambition to be yelled TERN LAD at every two weeks by half cut middle aged men. That's the beauty right there.

love knows with the defence. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mick Kegger slot right back in there next to Zouma, but it was really handy to have Jagielka come in without no fuss, score a winning goal, then get back to the bench without fuss given. Digne is sound out there and – holding my hand up here – I should have known better than to declare Coleman's Everton career over. I'd still sign an ace athletic right back in the summer like, but pit him against Sligo's cheeks of a hamster. Pickford will be on goal and the less we have to comment on him until summer is just fine.

So it's hard to fight that I feel the ice is slowly melting as Everton embrace a fourth London club in a row, seeking to make it 4 in a row. When was the last time we done that? Martinez 5 years ago? It seems like years we've been clear of fretting over Everton's next implosion. Any I'm still anticipating it happening now. Slippers on etc etc.

Don't let me stop you though. Five games left, then breathe.

Here comes the sun, and I say, it's all right.

https://www.evertonarentwe.com/2019/04/11/fulham-v-everton-preview/

WhiteJC

Lawro's Premier League predictions v golfer Matt Fitzpatrick

Sunday is a big day in the Premier League title race, with leaders Liverpool and defending champions Manchester City both in action.

City travel to Crystal Palace - who beat them at Etihad Stadium in December - before Liverpool host Chelsea, who famously helped scupper their title hopes in 2014.

BBC football expert Mark Lawrenson said: "Palace almost got the better of City at Selhurst Park last season, when Ederson saved a last-minute penalty, but I can't see them getting close to Pep Guardiola's side this time.

"I think Liverpool will win too, though.

"For starters, we don't know what kind of team Blues boss Maurizio Sarri will pick. He has become more of a 'Tinkerman' than the original - Claudio Ranieri - ever was."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 top-flight matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This week he is up against golfer Matt Fitzpatrick, who is in action at the Masters, which starts on Thursday at Augusta in the United States.

"It is amazing to play at Augusta," the Englishman told BBC Sport. "It is such a special place, with the fans, the way the course is and the history that it has. It is just great to be back this year."

Fitzpatrick has a twin goal this weekend - putting on the prestigious Green Jacket presented to the Masters winner, and seeing Sheffield United beat Millwall to maintain their challenge in the Championship promotion race.

Fitzpatrick, 24, was a long-term season ticket holder at Bramall Lane when he was growing up but now follows the Blades from afar when he is on the tour.

"I would almost say I love football more than golf to be honest," he explained. "That's how big a fan I am.

"The good news is, with technology nowadays, it is pretty easy to follow them really. There is an app that I can log in and watch all the games.

"I am hoping we won't be in the play-offs - I want automatic promotion. If we are and we make the play-off final then I think I have got to go. I couldn't miss that opportunity to see us go up."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
Fulham v Everton

Everton are playing well, and winning. When they are at their best, especially at Goodison Park, they make life difficult for the opposition by playing at a really high tempo and they should look to repeat that at Craven Cottage.

In contrast, Fulham have lost their past nine league matches. They are down already and face a big three months while they decide whether Scott Parker stays on as manager and which players stay or go.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2

Matt's prediction: Everton are playing some good stuff and have three good wins over Chelsea, West Ham and Arsenal. I would go with a comfortable win for them here. 0-3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47884778

WhiteJC

Fulham v Everton: great chance for Blues to keep winning

As the Premier League season nears its conclusion Everton are back in London for they're fourth consecutive match against a capital side as they take on Fulham on Saturday.

This game represents a great chance for the Toffees to continue their recent winning run as Everton take on a side that has endured a horrible season and have just been relegated to the Championship.

So on paper this looks like a match the Blues really ought to win comfortably. But that shouldn't let any complacency creep in on Everton's part.

In truth though this does certainly look like the least challenging of the Toffees current run of games against London teams.

However Everton have a record this season of producing some of their least convincing performances against lower league teams away from home. Some of the most dismal results that Blues fans have endured are losing efforts at places like Brighton and Newcastle.

Fulham as I say have had a very difficult season. They spent big in the summer and embarked on the current campaign with some optimism.

Some of the players they signed looked reasonable investments too. In particular getting Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle, who had been such a good player on loan the previous season, looked a good acquisition.

But the initial optimism around Craven Cottage didn't last long. Very quickly the Cottagers season began to unravel as they lurched from one heavy defeat to another. They were especially weak defensively conceding goals at an alarming rate.

After a few months of terrible results Fulham pulled the plug on manager Slavisa Jokanovic bringing in Claudio Ranieri in an almost palpably desperate attempt to try to revive their fortunes.

But their hope that the Italian could repeat the trick he had managed at Leicester City was not to be.

But despite a short-lived revival, after just over 100 days in charge he too was sacked. Slightly bizarrely having got rid of Ranieri, Scott Parker was brought in to oversee what by then seemed a virtually inevitable relegation.

All this means Fulham should be suffering from a chronic lack of confidence. Perhaps though having got rid of the burden of trying to defy football gravity and been relegated can allow a team to play with more freedom.

Everton are in great form at the moment and their 1-0 win over Arsenal last weekend was a truly outstanding performance. Another similar effort would surely bring another three points and hopefully a few more goals too.

https://princerupertstower.com/2019/04/11/fulham-v-everton/

WhiteJC

Everton boss Marco Silva told 'If we do this, we'll LOSE' ahead of Fulham clash

EVERTON boss Marco Silva has been sent a huge warning ahead of the game against relegated Fulham.

The Toffees are preparing to face Fulham tomorrow.

Silva's side are in a battle with four other teams to finish "best of the rest" in the Premier League's seventh place.

And the blue side of Merseyside can win their fourth game in a row in London.

Fulham were relegated back to the Championship earlier this month after losing to Watford.

But popular fan show Toffees TV has warned that this does not make the game any easier.

Host Peter McPartland says: "The last three games have been two tough home games and a game against West Ham.

"You look at that and think it's a difficult game on paper.

"So for this game, everyone's looking at it and saying Everton should win it."

The supporter's claims come as:

Silva is hopeful he can secure a MEGA £70million deal this summer
    One Everton star is FIGHTING for his future
    Richarlison has been linked with a move to RIVALS Liverpool

McPartland continued: "And that brings with it different pressures.

"When that happens and you're not the underdog, added pressure comes on you to win it.

"That will be the difference on Saturday and it will be interesting to see."

And the supporter went on to suggest how the Toffees should approach the game.

"The Cardiff game you would have expected to go and win, even though we weren't on a great run," McPartland added.

"In the end, it was comfortable.

"The Huddersfield game was expected to win, which we did but it was not as comfortable.

"But we haven't had too many games like that this season.

"We should approach the game like that, taking it to them.

"We should do that anyway because when we do we're a good football team.

"On Saturday, we have to go to Craven Cottage and put in a dominant display."

And the Toffees faithful were in full agreement.

"We need to go and take this game by the horns," one supporter said.

Another commented: "We can't get cocky now.

"If we do, we'll lose. Keep our heads down and press the whole game."

While a third suggested this would have a big impact on their season.

"If we want Europa League this is an important game to win," they said.

But Silva believes the Toffees can secure a £70million deal this summer.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/771595/Everton-news-Marco-Silva-warning-fans-Fulham-Premier-League-form-Toffees-TV-YouTube

ScalleysDad

Top level reading this morning. It's been a long,cold, lonely winter.