more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (13/04/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 13, 2019, 08:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Everton Are Confident But Silva Is Right To Be Wary Of Fulham

Everything about Saturday's Fulham vs Everton Premier League match says away win.

Everton are riding high with three straight wins, all against London teams. The Toffees have recorded three straight clean sheets (Chelsea 2-0, West Ham 0-2 and 1-0 against Arsenal.) Fulham have lost nine straight, including their last four home games.

However, Everton manager Marco Silva is circumspect when talking about his team's chances of adding already-relegated Fulham to their list of victories against London teams.

Silva was quoted on the Official Site as saying Everton needed to maintain the same levels of desire, focus, and quality if they want to win at Craven Cottage.

"Our job, when you finish one match, is to think of the next."

Fulham spent £100 million this summer and a number of observers expected them to remain in the top flight. However, Fulham have had all kinds of troubles at the back, allowing 76 goals in 33 games and costing two managers their jobs (Slavisa Jokanovic and Claudio Ranieri.) Scott Parker, who played more than 100 games for Fulham, is currently the caretaker manager.

Despite their terrible record, Silva is wary of Fulham.

"It is a big challenge for us. We are doing the right things, we are working well in training and making the right transfer to the match. Now, against Fulham, is the next moment to prove ourselves."

Two of the reasons behind Everton's performances is the play of loanees Kurt Zouma and Andre Gomes. Silva obviously wants to keep both players and he admits it is possible that permanent deals for both could be completed before the summer. The pair have said they are happy at Goodison Park.

"They are happy here and we are happy with them. It's not in our hands. At the right moment, we will do something," said Silva according to the quoted by the Daily Mail.

After being linked with PSG, in the January transfer window, tenacious midfield Idrissa Gana Gueye is now rumoured to be a target for Manchester United. Silva said that Everton's improving performances will create transfer rumours about their players and he isn't concerned.

What he is concerned about is Everton improving on last year's eighth-place finish. The Blues finished with 49 points. A victory against Fulham would give the Blues 49 points with four games left to play.

Expect Everton to do just that and continue their fine run of form by beating hapless Fulham on Saturday.

https://everton.vitalfootball.co.uk/everton-are-confident-but-silva-is-right-to-be-wary-of-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Everton
SAT 13 Apr 2019   Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage

Scott Parker has lost all five matches in charge as Fulham's caretaker manager by an aggregate score of 13-4
TEAM NEWS

Fulham are set to make several changes after being relegated at Watford, with Andre Schurrle and Timothy Fosu-Mensah among those pushing for recalls.

Alfie Mawson and Floyd Ayite are back in training but not yet available.

Everton manager Marco Silva is expected to keep faith with the same starting XI who secured a third successive league win last weekend.

Michael Keane has recovered from illness, while Morgan Schneiderlin returns following an ankle injury.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

@Wilsonfooty: Everton's best run of results since the first weeks of 2017 has thrust them back into that pack of clubs hoping to finish seventh - which would secure a place in Europa League qualifying should Manchester City win the FA Cup.

Relegated Fulham are simply playing to avoid some grim landmarks. Firstly, having lost nine consecutive games, the Cottagers are only two defeats short of their longest sequence of losses, set in 1962.

Second, if Fulham were to lose their remaining five games, they would join Sunderland and Derby as joint-record holders of 29 defeats in a 38-game Premier League season (Huddersfield can also match this).

Third, if Fulham fail to keep any more clean sheets they will set a new Premier League record of just two shut-outs for a season.

So, plenty to play for - none of it good.

VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT

Fulham caretaker manager Scott Parker: "I'm not focusing on me. I just want to improve things. The most important thing for me is sending out a team where people can see organisation and belief, and hopefully that gets us some results.

"I'm in constant discussion with the owner about how we can improve things. I'm looking at the long-term future of the club, whether I'm the manager or not."

Everton manager Marco Silva: "One of the things, looking to the future of our club, is we should be a club participating all the years in European football.

"Playing in European competitions is just a target; we know it's not really easy as many clubs want the same, but it's something that has to be in our mind and has to be a goal for us.

"For us to achieve that we have to keep doing the right things, keep growing as a squad, prepare well to achieve that."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Everton are playing well, and winning. When they are at their best, especially at Goodison Park, they make life difficult for the opposition by playing at a really high tempo and they should look to repeat that at Craven Cottage.

Prediction: 0-2

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Fulham are on a club record 10-game winless league run against Everton (D2, L8).
    Everton are unbeaten in five of the last six visits to Fulham (D2, W3), having lost their first seven Premier League trips to Craven Cottage.

Fulham

Fulham are the first club in top-flight history to concede multiple goals in 13 consecutive matches within a single season.
    The Cottagers have been defeated in their last nine league outings, their worst run since losing 11 in a row in the First Division in 1962.
    All four of Fulham's Premier League victories have come at home this season, but they have lost the last four at Craven Cottage.
    A league-low nine players have scored for Fulham this season.
    Ryan Babel had won all 11 Premier League games in which he scored prior to joining Fulham. He has since lost all three games in which he has scored.

Everton

Everton could win four consecutive Premier League matches without conceding for just the second time, and first since a run of five 1-0 wins ended in November 2002.
    They can secure four straight league victories for the first time since September 2016, and keep four consecutive clean sheets for the first time in 10 years.
    A fourth Everton away win in 2019 would match their total number of league victories on the road in 2018.
    The Blues have lost only one of their last 19 Premier League away matches against newly-promoted teams (W7, D11), a 2-1 defeat at Burnley in October 2016.
    Dominic Calvert-Lewin has won 45 aerial duels in the last two months in the Premier League - more than any other striker during that period.
    The Toffees registered 23 shots in the win against Arsenal last weekend, their highest tally in 64 Premier League games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47836286

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Everton preview: Scott Parker says club already rebuilding for next season
Watch match highlights on the Sky Sports app from 5.15pm

Fulham caretaker manager Scott Parker says the club are already building for next season in the Sky Bet Championship ahead of hosting Everton on Saturday.

The club's ninth straight Premier League defeat in their last encounter at Watford - a 4-1 reverse at Vicarage Road - confirmed the end of their short stay back in the top flight.

Fulham now take on Marco Silva's in-form side at Craven Cottage, seeking to record a first home win since beating Brighton 4-2 on January 29 - but they have a poor record against the Toffees.

The Whites have failed to win any of their last 10 meetings in the Premier League, losing eight - their longest winless run against the Merseysiders in league competition.

"The dust has settled a little bit after what was an emotional night at Watford," Parker said, reflecting on his side's relegation.

"As much as we are disappointed with the season, we move on. We have five games left, and we have half an eye on next season. This is an important time for this football club as we look to build for next season, where we want to have a massive impact.

"Regarding myself, I've said many times that I'm not focusing on me. I just want to improve things. The most important thing for me is sending out a team where people can see organisation and belief, and hopefully that gets us some results.

"I'm in constant discussion with the owner about how we can improve things. I'm looking at the long-term future of the club, whether I'm the manager or not."

Marco Silva believes Everton should be regularly competing in Europe.

The Toffees have qualified for the Europa League in only two of the last eight campaigns, but could book their spot in next season's competition with a seventh-place Premier League finish.

Silva said: "One of the things, looking to the future of our club, is we should be a club participating all the years in European football.

"Playing in European competitions is just a target, we know it's not really easy as many clubs want the same, but it's something that has to be in our mind and has to be a goal for us.

"For us to achieve that, we have to keep doing the right things, keep growing as a squad, prepare well to achieve that."

Team news

Fulham look set to be without four players. After missing the 4-1 defeat at Watford on April 2 with a muscular injury, striker Floyd Ayite faces late fitness test after only returned to training on Thursday.

Defender Alfie Mawson, out since the end of December, is getting closer to a return but this weekend's game comes too soon, while midfielder Lazar Markovic (calf) and goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli (knee) are definitely out.

Everton defender Michael Keane has shaken off an illness that prompted his last-minute withdrawal against Arsenal, and is fit for this weekend's visit to Fulham.

Toffees boss Marco Silva has a selection conundrum as Keane's replacement and club captain Phil Jagielka scored the winner against the Gunners.

Fellow defender Yerry Mina remains sidelined with a hamstring injury, but midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin returns to contention after recovering from an ankle complaint.

Opta stats
    After losing their first seven away Premier League games against Fulham, Everton have won three of their last six (D2 L1).
    Everton have lost only one of their last 19 Premier League away matches against newly promoted teams (W7 D11), losing versus Burnley in October 2016 (1-2).
    Already relegated Fulham have conceded at least twice in each of their last 13 Premier League games, losing 12 of them (W1). The only teams to have conceded 2+ goals in more consecutive top-flight matches are Manchester United (16 games from April-October 1930) and Newcastle United (14 games from May-October 1977).
    Everton are looking to win four consecutive Premier League games for the first time since September 2016.
    Everton have won three of their six away league games so far in 2019 (L3) - they only won four of their 18 on the road in the whole of 2018 (W4 D4 L10).
    Everton won their last league visit to London, beating West Ham 2-0. They've not won consecutive league games in the capital since May 2015.
    Fulham have had fewer different goalscorers (exc. own-goals) than any other side in the Premier League this season (9).
    Everton's Gylfi Sigurdsson has scored four goals in four Premier League matches against Fulham, including netting twice in this season's reverse fixture in September.
    Before joining Fulham, Ryan Babel had won all 11 Premier League games in which he scored. He's since netted in three games for the Cottagers, losing all of them.

Merson's prediction
Fulham are playing for pride, but they're not good enough. At the end of the day, you've just got to look at them and say they aren't good enough. They let in virtually two goals every game, and I can't see anything but an Everton win.

Everton are playing very well at the moment, or at least in the last two-and-a-half games. They had the second half against Chelsea, then the West Ham game, and then beat Arsenal.

https://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-everton/preview/391090

WhiteJC

Wolves Tickets On Sale

Tickets for Fulham's away fixtures against Wolverhampton Wanderers next month will are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members.

The Whites have an allocation of 1,815 tickets for the fixture on Saturday 4th May (kick-off 3pm), and Season Ticket Holders and Members are able to buy their tickets from today, limited to two tickets per person.

Tickets will go on General Sale on Tuesday 16th April at 10am to all remaining fans who will be able to purchase two tickets per person.

On Sale DateOn Sale Group
10am, Friday 12th April   Season Ticket Holders & Members (2 per person)
10am, Tuesday 16th April    General Sale (2 per person)

Tickets are priced at £27 for adults and £15 for over 65s, and under 21s. Under 17s tickets cost £12, whilst under 12s can purchase for £12. 

Fans will be able to purchase tickets online, by telephone on 0203 871 0810 (opt 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/april/12/wolves-tickets-on-sale

WhiteJC

Everton at Fulham: The Opposition View
We spoke to Whites blogger Max Cohen prior to Saturday's clash by the Thames

Everton visit relegated Fulham on Saturday, knowing a win will secure a fourth consecutive league victory for the first time since September 2016.

The Toffees could hardly ask for more ideal opponents either with the Whites having lost their last nine league matches in a row.

Fulham's fate in their disastrous season was confirmed last week, when a 4-1 defeat at Watford FC sealed a return to the Championship after just one season back in the top-flight.

After spending more than £100 million in the summer transfer window and changing managers twice, the Cottagers are playing for little more than pride now under caretaker boss Scott Parker.

Ahead of Saturday's match, RBM spoke to Max Cohen (@maxpcohen), writer for SB Nation's Fulham blog, Cottagers Confidential, and co-host of Cottage Talk:

RBM: Firstly, why do you believe Fulham have struggled so badly back in the Premier League this season?

Max: The biggest factor behind our struggles has to be our abysmal defence and lack of midfield cover. Everyone knows we have by far the worst back line in the league, and when you look at who is back there defending, it becomes clear why.

Essentially, our defence would be good enough for a mid-table Championship side. Tim Ream, Denis Odoi, Cyrus Christie, Joe Bryan, Maxime Le Marchand — these players should be getting nowhere near a Premier League starting XI, let alone starting week-in, week-out.

The poor form of Timothy Fosu-Mensah and injury of Alfie Mawson haven't helped either, but at the back we are so prone to individual errors and concede at the slightest pressure. In addition, although Calum Chambers has done excellently in central midfield, neither Jean-Michaël Seri nor André-Frank Zambo Anguissa adapted to the top flight, leaving our already awful defence even more exposed.

RBM: With hindsight, do you feel either Slaviša Jokanović or Claudio Ranieri should have been afforded more time as Fulham manager?

Max: I was heavily in favour of both of their sackings, and if anything, Ranieri should have been sacked sooner.

I absolutely love Slaviša Jokanović to death — he took us from a relegation-threatened Championship side to swashbuckling promotion winners — but he is not a Premier League manager.

He was undoubtedly dealt an extremely tough hand, with a largely new side hit by injuries, but his stubbornness, tactical ineptitude, and failure to motivate his players meant he had to be sacked when he was.

We had only won once in the league, lost some truly awful matches against Huddersfield Town, Cardiff City and Bournemouth, and the players no longer seemed up for the fight. Jokanović had to go.

But, although I was supportive of Ranieri's appointment at the time, the Italian proved to be a horrible appointment as well. Ranieri should've been sacked far earlier in the year, perhaps after the Manchester United home loss [3-0 on February 9], as he had shown an inability to implement our best football.

When we beat Brighton & Hove Albion 4-2 in January (still the only win of 2019 for us), Ranieri failed to use that successful formula in the next match against Crystal Palace and we were limp in a 2-0 defeat. That sealed it for me; Ranieri had to go.

RBM: Scott Parker has lost all five of his games in charge since Ranieri's sacking, but there seems to be a fair amount of good will towards him from Fulham fans. Should he be given the job permanently?

Max: Scott Parker is another fan favourite among the Fulham fans; a true servant for the club who has instilled a sense of optimism and pride among the support despite our abysmal predicament.

But I think the fan base is generally united against Parker being handed the permanent job. For us, it is essential we learn from our past failures in the Championship in order to get back to the top-flight as soon as possible.

I would be in favour of appointing a tried-and-tested Championship promotion winner with a modern philosophy, such as David Wagner, and perhaps keeping Parker on as an assistant.

RBM: Are you particularly bothered by these last five games, or is it important to you that Fulham end their wretched season strongly?

Max: It's such a relief that relegation is finally confirmed, and I just want the season to be over with as soon as possible. It's been such a torrid year with so few highlights, that I would want us to play the youngsters and go for matches.

No point in playing conservatively now and trying to get results — let's throw caution to the wind and at least try to put a smile on the faces of the supporters.

RBM: At this extremely early stage, how well-equipped do you think Fulham are to make an immediate return to the Premier League next year?

Max: Right now, I'd say we are in decent shape. Luckily, many of our players have clauses where their contracts are slashed in the event of relegation, so we won't be saddled by massive wages and thus forced to sell many of our best players.

I expect all loanees to depart, as well as Aleksandar Mitrović, Ryan Sessegnon, Seri, and Anguissa — but even with those departures we have a good Championship squad to work with.

Of course, it's the most unpredictable league in the world and I have no idea how next season will turn out. But I can at least say with confidence we probably won't pull a Sunderland and get relegated to League One.

RBM: How do you expect Fulham to set up on Saturday?

Max: It's o tough to predict because we could either stick with the side Parker has picked, or he could throw a spanner in the works and go with the young guns. I would say perhaps a mixture of the two, with a combination of tried and tested players and youth prospects who will play next year.

My predicted line-up: (4-3-3: Rico; Bryan, Ream, Le Marchand, Steven Sessegnon; McDonald, Cairney, O'Riley; Ryan Sessegnon, Mitrović, Ayité)

RBM: Which of Fulham's players do you think could cause Everton the most problems?

Max: The obvious choice is Mitrovic, but he hasn't scored a goal for Fulham in months.

Our side is so hapless at the moment that it's tough to pick out a dangerous player, but I'd say it might be Sessegnon. His confidence should be boosted by an excellent assist against Watford last week and his impressive attacking instincts could cause Everton some issues.

RBM: Finally, what's your prediction for Saturday's game?

Max: Always an optimist, it's difficult for me to ever predict a Fulham loss, and even in the most trying of circumstances, I can't bring myself to do it.

I'll say Fulham 1-1 Everton, with both sides turning in turgid displays with nothing to play for.

Our thanks to Max for his time.

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2019/4/12/18301916/everton-fulham-premier-league-match-preview-blogger-qna-interview-cottagers-confidential

WhiteJC

Club switch their attention to another Fulham attacker, considering offer

Fotospor report Besiktas are interested in signing Fulham attacker Andre Schurrle ahead of the summer transfer window.

It's reported the Black Eagles have some reservations about re-signing Ryan Babel and instead they have set their sights on Schurrle.

Babel has been linked with a move back to the Turkish Super Lig but it's looking more likely he will join Galatasaray and not his former club.

Schurrle, who's on loan at Fulham from Borussia Dortmund, is expected to leave the English club at the end of the season following their relegation from the Premier League.

According to Fotospor, Besiktas officials are following Schurrle's situation very closely and they could soon make an offer to sign the Germany intentional.

Schurrle has played 24 games for Fulham this season and scored six goals However, his contribution wasn't enough to avoid the London side dropping back down to the Championship.

The 28-year old is under contract with Dortmund until 2021.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-switch-attention-another-fulham-attacker-considering-offer/

WhiteJC

'We have half an eye on next season': Scott Parker calls on his Fulham players to use remaining games as platform for Championship return

The Cottagers' relegation was confirmed with a 4-1 defeat at Watford on April 2
    Scott Parker accepts changes will be made at the end of the league campaign
    Parker believes it is imperative the right attitude and mindset are adopted

Fulham manager Scott Parker has called on his players to use the club's final five matches of their Premier League campaign as a platform to build on for next season's return to the Sky Bet Championship.

In the wake of the Cottagers' relegation being confirmed at the start of the month with a 4-1 defeat at Watford, Parker accepts changes will be made during the closed season, and players will leave.

Parker believes, however, it is imperative the right attitude and mindset are adopted now that will at least stand Fulham in good stead come August.

Scott Parker has called on his players to use the final five matches as a platform for next

'We have five games left in a division which is one of the best in the world, and also we have half an eye on next season,' Parker said in a press conference to preview Saturday's visit of Everton to Craven Cottage.

'Of course, we want to win games now, we want our fans to have a little bit of pride in what we do.

'At the same time understand that this is an important time for this football club, this team, this squad, to certainly build and look to next year and have a massive impact.'

The defeat at Watford stretched the club's losing run to nine games, with the last five under Parker since he took caretaker charge.

The Cottagers' relegation was confirmed at the start of the month with a 4-1 defeat at Watford

While his own future is uncertain, he recognises the fans have a part to play in the club moving forward.

Parker said: 'It's a cliche but the fans are the most important people at a football club.

'When a team gets relegated, there's uncertainty - players leave, people lose their jobs - but there's always one mainstay, and that's the fan.

'I hope their vision is my vision. Okay, it's been a disappointing year but in football, as quick as you have a disappointment, you're around the corner to a high, hopefully.

'We dust ourselves off and look forward, to win football matches and to have half an eye on next year, which is a tough division.'

Parker accepts changes will be made during the closed season, and players will leave

Ahead of the clash with the Toffees, Parker cannot fault the attitude of his players who, for the last 10 days, have had to come to terms with relegation.

'We've had a really good week, put in some good work, and I sit here in a place where I feel confident the players have prepared right for a very good side,' assessed Parker.

'If I guarantee, which I can, a Monday looks how I want it to look, a Friday looks how I want it to look, I go into Saturday with full confidence. Believing in that process and culture is the most important thing.'

Striker Floyd Ayite faces a late fitness test on a muscular injury after only returning to training on Thursday.

Defender Alfie Mawson, midfielder Lazar Markovic and goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli are all out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6915761/Scott-Parker-calls-Fulham-players-use-remaining-games-platform-Championship-return.html

WhiteJC

Christie: Take It To Them

Cyrus Christie is aware of the threat that Everton will pose considering their impressive results against Arsenal and Chelsea of late.

The Toffees come into the game on the back of three straight league wins, all against London Clubs, making the tie all the more challenging. The visitors sit ninth and one point from Leicester in seventh.

"It's going to be tough. As you can see their results have picked up of late and they're quite high in the table. They have some fantastic players and a great squad. Earlier on in the season they were a little more inconsistent."

Gylfi Sigurdsson's double sandwiched a Cenk Tosun strike back in September to spark a run of six straight defeats. The full back is aware that not taking chances has come at a cost this season.

"They have a great team and we did really well against them earlier in the season where it was the same old story. We didn't take our chances and every chance they had went into the back of the net. We have to learn from that and take the game to them."

The defensive shape has been under consistent scrutiny this season. The Republic of Ireland International is keen to address the frailties heading into the Championship next season.

"We need to defend well against Everton which has been the question mark this season. That goes through the whole team in defending from the front and the defending between the lines. We are at home and we need to take full advantage of that.

"Watford for us was one of those games that went against us. We had a bad ten minutes and suddenly we are out of the game. There have been games where we have been solid but those periods where we switch off. We have to look forward and build on solidity."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/april/12/cyrus-previews-everton

WhiteJC

Alexsandar Mitrovic among West Ham's summer targets as they look to refresh striking options

The 24-year-old is keen to stay in the Premier League after Fulham's relegation Credit: GETTY IMAGES

West Ham United are lining up a summer bid for Alexsandar Mitrovic as the club prepare for a summer revamp of their forward options.

With Andy Carroll's contract to expire and doubts over the futures of Marko Arnautovic, Javier Hernandez and Lucas Perez, West Ham have made signing at least one new striker a priority.

Mitrovic is among the Hammers' top targets, following Fulham's relegation from the Premier League and the 24-year-old is keen to stay in England.

Despite Fulham suffering a terrible season, Mitrovic has netted 10 League goals and has been the club's one ray of light.

The Cottagers are aware they stand virtually no chance of keeping him in the Championship and will hope to get at least £30million for the former Newcastle United player.

Mitrovic joined Fulham permanently last summer for an initial fee of £22m, potentially rising to £27m, and has not scored since January.

But the Serbia international showed his pedigree in the first half of the season having fired Fulham to the Premier League with 12 goals during a successful loan spell last term.

Other than Mitrovic, West Ham have shown an interest in Roma's Edin Dzeko, who played for manager Manuel Pellegrini at Manchester City, Genoa's Christian Kouame and Celta Vigo's Maxi Gomez, who they tried to sign in January.

Despite handing him a new contract following interest from China in January, West Ham are expected to listen to offers for Arnautovic, who has not scored since the transfer window shut.

Hernandez has found some form over recent months, netting against Fulham and Huddersfield, but has not justified his £140,000-a-week wages, while Perez has flopped since signing from Arsenal.

Carroll already looks to have played his final game for West Ham, having undergone ankle surgery that has ruled him out for the rest of the season.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/04/12/alexsandar-mitrovic-among-west-hams-summer-targets-look-refresh/

WhiteJC

Neil Warnock should be manager of the season - provided Cardiff avoid relegation

Fulham and Huddersfield are already down, but the Bluebirds are still fighting for their lives - thanks to Warnock

Neil Warnock will be my manager of the season if he keeps Cardiff City in the Premier League.

As an achievement, the only things which could top that are Pep Guardiola winning the Quadruple at Manchester City (still possible), Jurgen Klopp winning the title and Champions League at Liverpool (unlikely), or Mauricio Pochettino lifting the European Cup at Tottenham (a long shot).

Cardiff look like they are going down.

As things stand, with goal difference weighted heavily against them, they are six points from safety.

But just supposing they win at Burnley this weekend and at Brighton on Tuesday night. That would put the cat among the pigeons.

And if Warnock can galvanise the Bluebirds into winning three of their last six games, he would be within touching distance of a miracle.

Let's be honest, in terms of quality, Cardiff's squad is one of the worst we've ever seen in the Premier League.

Warnock's defence has been built around 34-year-old Sol Bamba, who is out for the rest of the season with a serious knee injury, and one of his forwards, Callum Paterson, was a right-back at Hearts.

Lots of pundits thought they would be down already, and Chris Sutton reckoned they would get fewer points than Derby's record low of 11 in 2007-8.

They have also had to deal with the emotional trauma of the Emiliano Sala tragedy.

After everything they have been through, on and off the pitch, Cardiff have shown unbelievable spirit.

Fulham spent £100million and they are gone already. The odds are stacked against Cardiff surviving, but that's why Warnock would be my manager of the season if they stay up.

What could top that?

If City win the Quadruple, it would be hard to look beyond an unprecedented achievement.

Yes, Guardiola has assembled an expensive squad, but it is also one of the finest teams we've ever seen in English football.

Four trophies in one season would be incredible – although they have work to do against Tottenham in their Champions League quarter-final second leg.

If Klopp ends Liverpool's 29-year wait for the title, is that a greater achievement than Cardiff staying up with that squad?

It's debatable, although I would have no qualms about Klopp being manager of the year if they win both the title and Champions League.

And the other wild card would be Pochettino. If Spurs, who didn't spend a bean in the last two transfer windows, win the European Cup – and they will have to do it now without Harry Kane – that would be a sensational achievement after winning only one trophy in 20 years.

I would also give honourable mentions to Javi Gracia at Watford, who are in the shake-up for best of the rest and only the second FA Cup final in their history, and Chris Wilder at Sheffield United – especially if the Blades make it into the Premier League without throwing money at winning promotion.

But for me, 70-year-old Warnock keeping Cardiff up would be the finest achievement of all.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/neil-warnock-should-manager-season-14304343

WhiteJC

Resurgent Everton look to make it four in a row against relegated Fulham
The Toffees head to west London in confident mood

Is it me, or is it fun to support Everton again?

It's been a whole month now without any post-match fume, Goodison is happy rather than spiteful and even Twitter is a place of polite discourse (mostly).

Three wins in a row without conceding a goal, with two of those against sides in the top six, is the type of Everton we were hoping for when Marco Silva arrived last summer.

The second-half Newcastle capitulation aside, something seems to have clicked with the team during that 17-day break between the Watford defeat and the win at Cardiff.

It allowed key players to get their breath back after a hectic winter period as well as a chance for Silva to truly get his message across.

Since then it's four wins and a draw from our last five matches and a much-needed sense of optimism for the future.

The only disappointment from the Arsenal game last time out was that it was only 1-0. The Toffees were absolutely superb from the off.

Andre Gomes demonstrated why we should do all we can to sign him permanently in the summer with a masterclass of a performance, dovetailing perfectly with Idrissa Gueye and Gylfi Sigurdsson. A midfield with balance? Who'd have thought it.

The switch of Richarlison to the right and Bernard to the left has worked superbly, not only bringing the best out of each player but also allowing them to develop a relationship with their respective full-back. We have often been too lopsided in recent seasons, allowing opponents to snuff out our attack by overloading on one flank. Now we have genuine threat on either side of the field.

Up front, Dominic Calvert-Lewin continued his rapid development with an all-action display, terrorising the Arsenal backline and selflessly creating opportunities for others.

Then there is Phil Jagielka, called into the team with 15 minutes notice but at the age of 36, demonstrating his upmost professionalism with a vintage display and winning goal to boot.

The run has reignited the challenge for seventh place and a possible spot in the Europa League. I've said before that I'm torn on whether the team needs an early start for European qualifiers given the rebuilding job required this summer. However, I take the argument that Europe should be something we push for every year and if managed correctly (which I don't think it was under Ronald Koeman two years ago) then it should not have a detrimental impact on performance.

Forgive me if I am getting carried away, it has been such an up and down season I want to take the opportunity to revel in an Everton side winning games and playing well while I can. This is the Toffees after all, and some sort of calamity is nearly always around the corner.

That brings us nicely to Saturday and a trip to already-relegated Fulham. Craven Cottage is always a great away day, a traditional old ground by the banks of the Thames with plenty of great pubs within stumbling distance. It would be very Everton though to slip-up just as things were going so well. Or maybe I'm just being cynical and writing off this new-improved Everton too soon? Let's wait and see.

The opposition
Fulham raised eyebrows last summer when they splashed out over £100million on new signings to mark their return to the Premier League after a four-year absence.

It was hoped that such an outlay would pretty much guarantee survival and allow the Cottagers to build on the success of the previous season, which saw them narrowly miss out on automatic promotion before beating Aston Villa in the play-off final.

Sadly for the Londoners it hasn't worked out that way. As Everton have also found to their cost recently, splashing out huge sums only works if they are the right players and can fit into a system and style of play.

A 3-0 defeat at Goodison Park in September started a run of seven straight defeats that culminated in the sacking of Slavisa Jokanovic in November. In came Claudio Ranieri, who despite a 3-2 win over Southampton in his first game, couldn't turn the team's fortunes around. The likeable Italian was sacked at the end of February having won only three of his 17 games in charge.

Scott Parker was placed in interim charge until the end of the season but has overseen five successive defeats, with their relegation confirmed following a 4-1 defeat at Watford FC last time out.

Team news
Michael Keane, a late withdrawal against Arsenal, has recovered from illness and is set to return in place of Phil Jagielka.

Morgan Schneiderlin is also back after an ankle injury but will probably have to settle for a place in the bench at best.

Yerry Mina remains sidelined with a hamstring problem and is doubtful to play again this season.

Final word
With the pressure off and a feel-good factor back, Everton should have the freedom to express themselves in west London.

Fulham, for very different reasons, will also be playing with freedom and the old cliché that sides suddenly perform once their relegation is confirmed is reason to be wary.

But given the way Everton are playing they should have enough to take the points and secure a fourth successive win for the first time since September 2016.

This is Everton though, so nothing is ever certain and no corner is truly turned without the fear of what is lurking beyond it.

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2019/4/12/18307507/fulham-everton-premier-league-match-preview-craven-cottage-marco-silva-richarlison-gylfi-sigurdsson

WhiteJC

Three Players To Watch: Matchday 34 vs. Everton
I'm Sorry, Why Should We Care Again?

So Fulham are finally relegated. Thank goodness that saga is done and over with!

Regardless, this is a miserable time to be a Fulham fan still and it won't get any better until the start of next season. It's as if there's no point to get excited about these last four games of the season. Sure, Newcastle and Cardiff at home could be winnable with the right amount of luck, but why get excited about a potential win if it doesn't mean anything? Well, for one, it would be nice for Fulham not to break any records that would make them historically bad.

Along with that, it would be nice to see Mitro get back on fire or Ryan Sessegnon return to being the teenage sensation that he was from last season. Individually, there is plenty to prove as many may be on the shop window to fund Fulham's transfer kit in the summer. Mitro and Sess are almost certainties if they can even show a whiff of productivity the rest of the way, but how about Tom Cairney? How about two of Fulham's most expensive transfers in Jean Michael Seri and Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa? Lastly, will we see any of Fulham's academy products like Luca De La Torre, Stephen Sessegnon or Matt O'Riley?

Even if we don't think there's nothing to play for, that doesn't mean no one at Craven Cottage is working to get this football club back on its proper feet. Meanwhile, Everton have plenty of different objectives coming into this fixture.

For one, the Toffees sit just one point away from seventh despite wanting to get rid of whoever-their-name-is from further managing this team. On the whole, this still looks like a senior team that still has too many holes to fill after a poorly spent 2018 summer transfer window. If anything, this Marco Silva guy is making the most of a flawed club to return them to the standards that they are accustomed to. A scoreless draw against Liverpool and a 1-0 win over Arsenal help brighten the mood of their season, but Leicester and Wolves are two clubs that have bright futures while Everton don't for some reason.

So what gives? Welp, let's talk about it as we delve into the three players to watch when they visit Southwest London.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin
At first, Everton seemed to be among the leading pipelines for young English talent. But while Tom Davies, Ademela Lookman and even former Fulham man Dennis Adeniran haven't fully made the grade just yet, Dominic Calvert-Lewin is gradually getting a full fledged spot in the starting XI. That doesn't mean the 22-year old is the finished article. Calvert-Lewin's 2.45 shots per 90 minutes and shots-on-target ratio less than 36% are quite sub-par for a center forward and those numbers will have to sky-rocket for him to guide his boyhood club to competing with England's top six. Otherwise, the gaffer will have to go with the dissapointing Cenk Tosun as an option up front and you can start to see where Everton are not at an ideal place up front.

Along with that Theo Walcott and Bernard haven't fit into the club's plans while it's still a mystery as to where to best position Richarlison. Thank goodness this next player has defied all expectations.

Gylfi Sigurdsson
Simply put, people were ready to right off Gylfi Sigurdsson last season. But in his age-30 season, the star of the Icelandic National team has proven doubters wrong to the tune of 12 goals and four assists. With 10 of them being of the non-penalty variety, Sigurdsson's rate of 0.33 open-play tallies per 90 minutes is the highest since his 2013/14 campaign with Tottenham. If it weren't for his production in attack and Idrissa Gueye's leadership in defense, who knows where Everton would be from an identity standpoint.

Lucas Digne
Lastly, what has also made Everton successful is having a back four and goalkeeper tandem that is better than a few top six sides. Jordan Pickford is quite self-explanatory while Michael Keane seems to be accustomed playing in Blue after a rocky 2017/18. Meanwhile Kurt Zouma has been a nice sight to see after so much bad luck has befallen upon him and it's also nice to see Seamus Coleman returning from injury or young Jonjoe Kenny getting playing time at right back.

But the piece to resistance has been Lucas Digne as he has come out of Jordi Alba's shadow to become one of the better fullbacks of the Premier League. What has been quite fascinating is seeing Digne's suddenly become a good crosser of the ball. Despite having career averages of 0.90 successful crosses per 90 minutes with just a 19.0% success rate, those numbers have skyrocketed to 2.50 per 90 minutes and 29.9% this season. Add in the fact that Digne's key passes rate (2.03 per 90 minutes) this season is more than double his career mark (0.97 per 90 minutes) and you are looking at a brand new football player. Believe me, Didier Deschamps and the French National have noticed by calling him up during the March international break.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/4/13/18308840/three-players-to-watch-matchday-34-vs-everton

WhiteJC

Fulham want Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke to work with Scott Parker next season - EXCLUSIVE
FULHAM are thinking of bringing an experienced manager to work alongside Scott Parker next season – and Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke is top of the list.

Fulham want Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke to work with Scott Parker next season - EXCLUSIVE (Image: GETTY)

Parker has been in charge as caretaker since Claudio Ranieri's sacking six weeks ago, and it has not been ruled out giving the former England midfielder the job full time this summer, with the club already relegated and facing Championship football next season.

But former Chelsea defender and assistant manager Clarke has impressed this season at Kilmarnock in the Scottish Premiership and has guided them to third place behind Celtic and Rangers.

The Scot, highly rated as a coach, has also had spells in charge at West Brom, Reading and Aston Villa.

Clarke's name has been discussed at boardroom level as Fulham plot what to do next season, with his experience in the top-flight and Championship regarded as potentially vital if Fulham are to bounce straight back.

Despite an upturn in performances, the popular Parker has lost every game since he took over as caretaker boss, and Fulham go into Saturday's match against Everton at Craven Cottage having lost nine in a row.

But Fulham want Parker to stay at the club if possible, and possibly learn while working alongside a more experienced manager, with Kilmarnock boss Clarke at the moment the leading candidate – though the Scot would be the man in charge.

Parker insisted on Thursday that he has a well-motivated squad at his disposal, despite the fact the Cottagers failing to make their mark on their return to the Premier League.

"I can categorically say that every morning I come into work and I see a real hunger and desire," he explained. "I don't think I can brand one of the players with a lack of that - I wouldn't accept it, but at times this year we've come up short.

"There are other clear things you can point your finger and accuse us of, but that's not one of them.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1113677/Fulham-Steve-Clarke-Scott-Parker-Kilmarnock

WhiteJC

Everton team news: Keane hands Silva timely boost ahead of Fulham trip

Everton have finally got into the swing of things as they continue in their late charge of trying to obtain seventh place in the Premier League. The Toffees have managed to record some impressive performances against some of the country's top teams recently and will head to Craven Cottage to face a relegated Fulham side with some confidence.

And, that confidence for Marco Silva's side will have surely only grown with the news that one of their key men will be available for the trip to the capital on Saturday afternoon.

What's the News?
According to a match preview by Sky Sports, Michael Keane should be available for the trip to Craven Cottage.

The defender missed the game against Arsenal last weekend due to illness, however, the England international is believed to have been able to shake it off.

Morgan Schneiderlin is also in contention after recovering from an issue with his ankle, however, Yerry Mina will remain on the sidelines with a hamstring injury.

The Verdict:
Following Leicester City's defeat to Newcastle United on Friday, Everton will know that they have the perfect opportunity to leapfrog them and put them in seventh place, depending on the results around them in the table.

Although Keane was not missed in the end against Arsenal last weekend, he has been a stellar performer for Everton this season and has played a key role for Silva's side.

The defender has looked solid at the back and has continued to grow and develop his game and has made the Toffees rather difficult to break down in recent fixtures as he has formed a formidable partnership with Kurt Zouma at the back.

His return will hand the Goodison Park outfit a rather interesting dilemma though, as Phil Jagielka replaced him last weekend and put in a solid showing himself after scoring the only goal of the game in their win against Arsenal.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/everton-team-news-keane-hands-silva-timely-boost-ahead-of-fulham-trip/