watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-The Maestro

Started by bog, April 14, 2019, 01:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Pre-match I was standing by the statue of The Maestro yesterday and a very elderly Everton supporter came along with some of his younger Toffees fans. He stopped, came over to the statue and in the strongest Scouse accent I have ever heard said 'he was and still is the best footballer I have ever seen.'  049:gif

This may sound predictable, as it should be, but back when Johnny started playing there was a strong north south divide in opinions of footballers. But this chap showed the maximum reverence for our former player born in the south and made sure his younger mates knew this.  :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif   

Ara's bacon crisps

Proper football man by the sound of it - gives you a warm feeling, doesn't it?

By coincidence, In my 49 years of watching football, I would say that the best midfield I have ever seen was Everton's mid 80s quartet of Sheedy, Reid, Bracewell and Steven - so much talent, and effortlessly complementing each other, and could carve a team open in a hundred different ways. An absolute joy to watch.

bog

Quote from: Ara's bacon crisps on April 14, 2019, 02:12:53 PM
Proper football man by the sound of it - gives you a warm feeling, doesn't it?

By coincidence, In my 49 years of watching football, I would say that the best midfield I have ever seen was Everton's mid 80s quartet of Sheedy, Reid, Bracewell and Steven - so much talent, and effortlessly complementing each other, and could carve a team open in a hundred different ways. An absolute joy to watch.

Yes it does don't it. A mate of mine is an Everton fan and that was a top midfield but I and he may put the three of Ball, Kendall and Harvey above them.

filham

Well that would have been enjoyable to hear coming from a northerner, they usually go for Charlton, Law Best, Milburn etc.

jarv

I was thinking today, if JH played today who can compare with him (I dont mean better than JH) but the only player I could think of was DeBryne at mancity.  Great vision and range of passing.  Maestro, best passer of the ball England ever had.

Fernhurst

Johnny's vision was sometimes a bit overwhelming for his Fulham team mates. Jimmy Greaves thought his England career went backwards after Johnny had the car crash because Haynes was the only team mate on his super quick wavelength.

Remains the greatest ever player I have seen in a Fulham shirt after 61 years of support.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 14, 2019, 08:40:41 PM
Johnny's vision was sometimes a bit overwhelming for his Fulham team mates. Jimmy Greaves thought his England career went backwards after Johnny had the car crash because Haynes was the only team mate on his super quick wavelength.

Remains the greatest ever player I have seen in a Fulham shirt after 61 years of support.

He was well above us Fernhurst. The same for me after 66 years. Jimmy Greaves also said on record that Johnny was a better player than Bobby Charlton. Eternally thankful to Tosh for bringing him to the club.  :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif