Started by Mince n Tatties, April 24, 2019, 06:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: Westlondonffc on April 25, 2019, 08:40:36 AM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on April 24, 2019, 10:10:58 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 24, 2019, 08:57:06 AM
Quote from: Fulham76 on April 24, 2019, 08:40:03 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 24, 2019, 06:29:12 AM
They will not be donating a case of champagne anymore to the FA Cup winners incase it upsets religious beliefs.
What next? :doh:

Ridiculous! Can't imagine being so brainwashed that a bottle of champagne would become offensive......

It doesn't really offend anyone,its these idiots in these positions who believe it does.

I know for a fact this isn't true.   I know of one Muslim player that plays for LAFC here in Los Angeles.   He complained when alcohol was poured on him after he'd scored a winning goal.

Religion is a thing.
Yaya Toure refused the Man of the Match bottle claiming to be a devout Moslem and the FA stopped awarding it. Toure was then done for drink driving.

So, do you mean that you cannot be against something on principle if you do not always follow it yourself? Muslims can also slip up just as everybody else. Doesn't mean they are not religious, or don't hold certain beliefs. Whether that is the case for Yaya I don't know.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Sting of the North on April 25, 2019, 09:25:29 AM
They will not be donating a case of champagne anymore to the FA Cup winners incase it upsets religious beliefs.

Ridiculous! Can't imagine being so brainwashed that a bottle of champagne would become offensive......

It doesn't really offend anyone,its these idiots in these positions who believe it does.

I know for a fact this isn't true.   I know of one Muslim player that plays for LAFC here in Los Angeles.   He complained when alcohol was poured on him after he'd scored a winning goal.

Religion is a thing.
Yaya Toure refused the Man of the Match bottle claiming to be a devout Moslem and the FA stopped awarding it. Toure was then done for drink driving.

So, do you mean that you cannot be against something on principle if you do not always follow it yourself? Muslims can also slip up just as everybody else. Doesn't mean they are not religious, or don't hold certain beliefs. Whether that is the case for Yaya I don't know.

It's called hypocrisy, but it should not interfere with everyone else's beliefs and the way we live.
It has often been said by wise men and wise women that Religion is one of the twin evils of this world.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2019, 09:30:08 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on April 25, 2019, 09:25:29 AM

Religion is a thing.

It's called hypocrisy, but it should not interfere with everyone else's beliefs and the way we live.
It has often been said by wise men and wise women that Religion is one of the twin evils of this world.

It could be called hypocrisy, but it could also just be called being human. Since I don't pretend to know Yaya, I don't know which is more likely to be the case here.

I will not make this into a discussion about the merits of religion, since this is definitely not the place for such a discussion. However, there is also something called respect, and if some are offended by something it is worth considering whether or not that something is worth keeping just for the sake of "we have always done this before". Because that seem to be the main argument most times, even in important matters. People find the time to rage about every change (of course allegedly initiated by the "PC mafia"), even though most changes will not have any effect whatsoever on most people's life. Of course some changes can seem completely ridiculous and stupid, but most of the time it doesn't matter one bit to almost anyone. People will still moan however.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on April 25, 2019, 09:48:29 AM
I will not make this into a discussion about the merits of religion, since this is definitely not the place for such a discussion. However, there is also something called respect, and if some are offended by something it is worth considering whether or not that something is worth keeping just for the sake of "we have always done this before".

I know you've indicated you don't want to argue about the merits of religion, but whilst I agree "we have always done this before" isn't the best reason to insist on doing something, it is no worse than the reason that "my book tells me not to do this". My personal view is that religion has an important part to play in society, in answering questions about how we should treat each other, how we came to exist, what happens when we die, and all the other questions science can't answer. But I have frankly zero "respect" for religious stipulations about what people should eat, drink, wear etc. So in those situations, even the fairly weak reason "we have always done this before [and happen to quite enjoy it]" should probably trump "my book tells me not to" IMO.

FWIW I agree with you entirely about Toure and see nothing unreasonable about sticking to a principle despite having suffered a momentary, regrettable lapse from it at some point.