Main Menu

Summer Transfer Gossip.

Started by Mince n Tatties, April 28, 2019, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 31, 2019, 11:31:52 AM
Quote from: Statto on July 31, 2019, 11:25:21 AM
Quote from: jayffc on July 31, 2019, 10:31:22 AM
Tony also mentioned there have been times where previously we could have spent out early on Man utds Pereira, and he was getting stick for not doing that...but then because we held out till later, for the same money, he was able to bring in Piazon and one more ( I think it was stefjo but may be wrong) ... ultimately both contributed to our promotion massively.

Hmmm, that doesn't make any sense at all. That was the window we blew £12m on Jozabed, Sigurdsson and Kebano in the last couple of weeks of the window, signings which at worst demonstrated terrible judgment, or if you're being generous, players who may have been talented but weren't given time to adjust to English football due to the late timing of their transfers.

We also signed Chris Martin on a last-minute loan after other striker deals fell through.

We were poor until November and ultimately didn't get promoted.

I'm not sure there's ever been a better impression in the history of football of a headless chicken with a beak full of money, cluelessly scrambling to sign some more players before the window shuts.   

The last paragraph should be framed and hung up in his office.

Actually I think I was mistaken with the last paragraph. We outdid ourselves in August 2019.

LVBPTS

Tony also mentioned there have been times where previously we could have spent out early on Man utds Pereira, and he was getting stick for not doing that...but then because we held out till later, for the same money, he was able to bring in Piazon and one more ( I think it was stefjo but may be wrong) ... ultimately both contributed to our promotion massively.

Hmmm, that doesn't make any sense at all. That was the window we blew £12m on Jozabed, Sigurdsson and Kebano in the last couple of weeks of the window, signings which at worst demonstrated terrible judgment, or if you're being generous, players who may have been talented but weren't given time to adjust to English football due to the late timing of their transfers.

We also signed Chris Martin on a last-minute loan after other striker deals fell through.

I'm not sure there's ever been a better impression in the history of football of a headless chicken with a beak full of money, cluelessly scrambling to sign some more players before the window shuts.   

how can a headless chicken have a beak full of money? :-)
Supporter since 2000

jayffc

Again,
on paper, at the time, Sigurdsson looked like the CB we all wanted and had performed at a high level in a world cup, Jozabed had shown some real talent in La Liga where he still plays, you may recall many were excited by him at the time, and Kebano has been a useful squad asset in our last 2 championship seasons and contributed to our promotion. Martins scoring record in the league previous also was impressive on paper, despite, as you rightly say, not being our number one target (every team misses out on a lot of their first options every year not just us).

So knowing that no one can completely predict the future, it's really important to understand the context of the moment in which players were signed. It is not an insignificant thing to breezed over with hindsight like some keep doing only. Yes, consequently you're right, we should look back and analyse why things didn't work out and if there are things that could be done differently, some things can't be though, we can only look at the stuff in out control. Naturally, that is a limited amount when it comes to doing business with multiple clubs.

Also there are endless amounts of transfers for all clubs that are made early that haven't worked out either.

Tony didn't say it always works, he said sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Just like every single director of football, in the country. Again, It ain't as straightforward as many think it is or want it to be.

You're bound to disagree so better we just walk away on this one.

Statto

Quote from: LVBPT on July 31, 2019, 11:45:58 AM

fair point!!!!!  :doh:

snarks

I do find the endless TC bashing wearing, it's not like every club hasn't made a few high profile signings that don't work out.

Spurs with Soldado, Capoue, Paulinho, Jansen, N'die to name but five

Benteke at Liverpool over £40 million.

Fred, Mikataryan and Ballie at Man U

In fact liverpool have spent over £1 billion on buying players in the premier league and still haven't won the title.

So he makes some misses, but you can't say he isn't funding it

colinwhite

Agreed. Venting frustration at TK at every turn is very tedious !

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: LVBPT on July 31, 2019, 11:45:58 AM

Simply because this particular headless chickens beak is not attached to its head like normal chickens, it's attached elsewhere on its person.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Roberty

Did you ever wonder why transfers are so difficult to complete ?

CAHILL PLAYING WAITING GAME

Gary Cahill's future could depend on whether Manchester United's lengthy pursuit of Harry Maguire is a success.

Maguire's move to United would likely prompt a bid from Leicester for another England defender, Burnley's James Tarkowski  – although Leicester may baulk at the £50m release clause in his contract.

If a deal for Tarkowski to move to the King Power is agreed before next Thursday's deadline, that would then prompt Burnley to move for 33-year old Cahill, who is available on a free transfer.

I'm sure it can't be this difficult for us - can it?

It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Mince n Tatties

Someone anyone somewhere over the rainbow,go find  a centre back.🎲🎰🃏

Nero

It kind of does make sense if we had look at them and in negotiations knowing what we might need, like if you go out on a Saturday night but know you have a bill to pay next week you would be a fool to piss up the wall and leave yourself short

LVBPTS

so the same mate that told me when i broke Knockart on here has told me that Brede has recommended Kristoffer Ajer to us from Celtic...
Supporter since 2000

junior white

Quote from: LVBPT on July 31, 2019, 03:02:33 PM
so the same mate that told me when i broke Knockart on here has told me that Brede has recommended Kristoffer Ajer to us from Celtic...
Breed scouting for us know as well cool. Ayer could not get in the Celtic team, wasnt even one of their top 4 centre backs, was loaned out to Kilmarnock, not knocking him per say but the last centre back we signed from a mid table Scottish team didn't turn out too well for us

LVBPTS

didnt say he is scouting. i believe he knows him through him playing for the national team and has "recommended" him to us...thats all the news i have at the moment other than Arter is supposedly close but we all know that already
Supporter since 2000

junior white

Quote from: LVBPT on July 31, 2019, 03:14:55 PM
didnt say he is scouting. i believe he knows him through him playing for the national team and has "recommended" him to us...thats all the news i have at the moment other than Arter is supposedly close but we all know that already
Fair enough, would have thought Arter delayed now due to the Gosling injury

ealex40

I seem to remember that we sold Jozabed for 5 million pounds and made a profit over what he cost.

Tabby

Quote from: junior white on July 31, 2019, 03:11:51 PM
Breed scouting for us know as well cool. Ayer could not get in the Celtic team, wasnt even one of their top 4 centre backs, was loaned out to Kilmarnock, not knocking him per say but the last centre back we signed from a mid table Scottish team didn't turn out too well for us

Ajer was a regular starter last season.

Hoppus

Ajer would be great! Tall and strong (197 cm). He played and scored in their first CL game this season.
He is a regular in the Norwegian national team.

He remind me of Brede!

Do you know if the Kahns want him?

FFC1987

Quote from: Hoppus on July 31, 2019, 03:22:25 PM

Ajer would be great! Tall and strong (197 cm). He played and scored in their first CL game this season.
He is a regular in the Norwegian national team.

He remind me of Brede!

Do you know if the Kahns want him?

Do we know if he wants to drop down to championship? Not to be too harsh on Scottish football but he is getting CL football etc.

LVBPTS

i have to be honest, i have no idea other than Brede has recommended him to us. i dont know if we have even made an enquiry but i know we have sent scouts to watch him on that recomendation this pre season
Supporter since 2000

LVBPTS

id have thought more money and better career prospects with us even if celtic get 6 games in the group stages
Supporter since 2000