watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mat Target

Started by Andy S, April 30, 2019, 10:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

He scored a nice headed goal at the weekend. I thought he did well last season. On hind sight we should have kept him. Would you have him back now

Stoneleigh Loyalist

People keep saying that we should have kept him but he was not ours to keep!

bucksfulham

I think we tried to get him but Southampton wouldn't play ball.

junior white

think Southampton asked for 20 million odd for him and we wouldn't pay that the price, was Mark HUghes at the time, although not sure if their manager does the transfers or not

toshes mate

As a shoo-in for a place in the team Matt Targett would have been good value for the money Saints were asking for, especially when we consider just how expensive some assets have proven to be. 

Facts Not Fiction

Joe Bryan has been one of our best performers over the last couple months.

He'll be one of the best in the Championship if he stays.

toshes mate

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on April 30, 2019, 11:20:12 AM

With Babel ahead of him, Bryan has come on leaps and bounds.  With Babel gone that damned conundrum of partnerships starts over again....

We really do need to learn, as a Club, the value of what works and not continue to lose valuable assets to poor judgement, ineflectual decision making, and bad administrative errors.

WhiteJC

Target gave the team "balance" I think he was as important as Mitro to our 2nd half of the season

I'd take him in a heartbeat

sarnian

No better than Bryan.  Not been a Southampton regular and was ripped apart by MOTD earlier in the season over his positioning and awareness of where his man was.

jarv

Should have paid the money for him. It is hard to quantify the results but his relationship with Sess was outstanding during the long unbeaten run.

First, that understanding was gone this season and 2. Could be the reason or at least contribution for Sess poor form this season.

I think we all know, football form comes in pairs many times. H and H for example. Haynes and Greaves for England and many others.

ALG01

Quote from: toshes mate on April 30, 2019, 11:46:48 AM
Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on April 30, 2019, 11:20:12 AM

With Babel ahead of him, Bryan has come on leaps and bounds.  With Babel gone that damned conundrum of partnerships starts over again....

We really do need to learn, as a Club, the value of what works and not continue to lose valuable assets to poor judgement, ineflectual decision making, and bad administrative errors.

saying Bryan has been one of our top performers is not actually that much of a thing this season because there are so many disappointments. Actually i tend to think Bryan has not been anywhere near the level required and if you watch a re-run of goals conceded I think you will find his l;ack of positional awarness staggeringly poor. The number of unchallenged crosses from his side with him simply standing off and not knowing when and how to close tha attacker has been a key feature of our poor goals tally... well him and the other full back who was usually worse.Bryan has been a bit better recently but still fails to close the forwards allowing crosses to rain in for our happless keeper to punch and center backs to fail to deal with.

maybe Bryan will shine in the championship but he less good than targett and I dodn't think target was the correct standard either.

Andy S

Bryan's defence work has only been average at best and have you seen him cross a ball accurately all season? I hope he improves. There were people on here saying he was  a good signing, he needs to improve a lot more yet before he is a good player

Sting of the North

Targett was good in the Championship. Bryan was also good in the Championship. Neither have impressed in poor PL teams, so not really sure how to assess who is better. I don't believe there is too much between them, and as such as long as Bryan is on the books there is likely to be more pressing needs to address. What those needs are would likely depend very much on who leaves or stays.

aaronmcguigan

The success of either of them is down to who's playing ahead of him. Partnerships like that got us promoted and the lack of partnerships/ covering each other , etc is what contributed to taking us down

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on April 30, 2019, 02:02:37 PM
Targett was good in the Championship. Bryan was also good in the Championship. Neither have impressed in poor PL teams, so not really sure how to assess who is better. I don't believe there is too much between them, and as such as long as Bryan is on the books there is likely to be more pressing needs to address. What those needs are would likely depend very much on who leaves or stays.

agree

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on April 30, 2019, 04:23:39 PM

agree

+1. Both good fullbacks. Both probably too good for the Championship but not great options in the Prem.
STH H3

Barrett487

Quote from: @jolslover on April 30, 2019, 10:07:09 PM
Quote from: Statto on April 30, 2019, 04:23:39 PM

agree

+1. Both good fullbacks. Both probably too good for the Championship but not great options in the Prem.

Bryan was probably the better value in the long run, however Targett seemed to hit the ground running this season for the Saints.

Logicalman

I like Mattie Target but I have to say honestly that little Joe has stepped into his boots admirably and, even though he is two years older, I feel he is just as well equipped for the savagery of the fizzy league as Mattie (obviously) is.

Save the money and spend it on a good right back and center.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

SWSixer

It was a fine header! I was really happy for him.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Logicalman on May 01, 2019, 01:00:57 AM
I like Mattie Target but I have to say honestly that little Joe has stepped into his boots admirably and, even though he is two years older, I feel he is just as well equipped for the savagery of the fizzy league as Mattie (obviously) is.

Save the money and spend it on a good right back and center.

We need the players upfront, we have more quality players staying behind of Anguissa than in front of him.