watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kenilworth Road - The Away Fans Entrance

Started by SP, May 01, 2019, 09:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

I have many memories of our visits to Luton, it was always an eventful trip.  Although it's been a while, it appears not much has changed at the ground.  Love the seventh photo on the attached link, what a great place to live if you like football.

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/kenilworth-road-luton-town.html

ffcwickford

I was born in Luton and the Oak Stand as it is now known used to be the home end 'Oak Road End'. The away end used to be in Kenilworth Road  - both standing. The Maple Road stand had an upper tier that was seated and a lower tier that was standing. The opposite stand was a very low single terrace and more often than not the ball would disappear over it and down the road where the local kids would be waiting, grab it and disappear with it into their houses!

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: ffcwickford on May 01, 2019, 10:24:31 PM
I was born in Luton and the Oak Stand as it is now known used to be the home end 'Oak Road End'. The away end used to be in Kenilworth Road  - both standing. The Maple Road stand had an upper tier that was seated and a lower tier that was standing. The opposite stand was a very low single terrace and more often than not the ball would disappear over it and down the road where the local kids would be waiting, grab it and disappear with it into their houses!
I've been to Luton on a few occasions, but not since the Old Oak Road End became the away end, the most memorable being in the Marsh/Best era when we won 2-0 on Tyrone James' debut with a sublime performance. Massive away support in the Kenilworth Road End and a massive fight at the end leading to me jumping in to someone's garden to avoid the missiles and boots!

bog

Luton away in January 1960 was my first trip on my own. Lost 4-1(Hill), and I recall walking through someone's house to get into the ground! Glad to see them on the way back after being shite upon by the FA and deducted 30 points that saw them lose their league status.

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on May 02, 2019, 08:27:41 AM
Luton away in January 1960 was my first trip on my own. Lost 4-1(Hill), and I recall walking through someone's house to get into the ground! Glad to see them on the way back after being shite upon by the FA and deducted 30 points that saw them lose their league status.

092.gif

Yes that must have been the same house I walked through, amazing, but I cannot remember getting a cup of tea, did you ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

cookieg

092.gif

I was just thinking that I am sure we used to walk through houses to get to the ground. Glad I wasn't dreaming it!

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 02, 2019, 12:01:30 PM

092.gif

Yes that must have been the same house I walked through, amazing, but I cannot remember getting a cup of tea, did you ?

No I did not! Just a good hiding!

ffcne

Remember a Paul Moody hat trick the last time i went there.

Camel Club

Quote from: ffcne on May 02, 2019, 02:55:36 PM
Remember a Paul Moody hat trick the last time i went there.

That was a great day out. I think we won 4-1 as our march to the Premier League continued. Great memories of very happy times.

SP

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on May 02, 2019, 07:10:06 AM
Quote from: ffcwickford on May 01, 2019, 10:24:31 PM
I've been to Luton on a few occasions, but not since the Old Oak Road End became the away end, the most memorable being in the Marsh/Best era when we won 2-0 on Tyrone James' debut with a sublime performance. Massive away support in the Kenilworth Road End and a massive fight at the end leading to me jumping in to someone's garden to avoid the missiles and boots!

I recall the punch-up vividly &, even by the 1970s standards, it was scary stuff with angry Luton fans charging around the terrace.

The Paul Moody hat-trick match was probably one of the best away days.  I may be mistaken but I'm sure some of the goals were scored in what felt like touching distance of the travelling FFC fans.

Jims Dentist

I have a vague memory of Barry Hayles getting a wonder goal there dribbling past at least 3 defenders.
Anyone else remember this?

BarneyTravers

Remember a four nil thrashing there in the year we went down 79ish..vary edgy that day loads of Luton skinheads on show...we had coaches from outside the café outside Putney Bridge Station...previous to that spoke to a few old stagers and they recall a infamous bust up in the 'Hatters Club' way back yonder...not for the faint hearted apparently.

COYW