watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our Promotion Season Engine Room

Started by filham, May 06, 2019, 01:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

There is no doubt that the key to our success in promotion last season was the signing of Mitrovic at the half way mark, he produced the goals that that won all those games in that magnificent unbeaten run.

However our midfield trio of McDonald, Johansen and Cairney was also outstanding , probably the best midfield in the Championship.
Any reason why we should not re assemble those three ready for next season.

Sting of the North

Quote from: filham on May 06, 2019, 01:58:27 PM
There is no doubt that the key to our success in promotion last season was the signing of Mitrovic at the half way mark, he produced the goals that that won all those games in that magnificent unbeaten run.

However our midfield trio of McDonald, Johansen and Cairney was also outstanding , probably the best midfield in the Championship.

There may be several reasons.

- Some claim that Johansen is angry at the club, and as such may not be interested. Ideally, we would want to have motivated players (I do acknowledge that this is only a vague rumor, and also that there is time for things to change again even if true).
- Parker seem to rate both Anguissa and Seri ahead of McDonald (or is he injured?), so if SP stays then maybe McDonald is not that interested, or SP would in any case not prefer him (also here I acknowledge that we are most likely without Chambers, so one more spot opens up).
- SP/New manager may want to play in a different way to how we played last season under Joka, and as such the trio may not be as well suited.
- Anguissa may keep improving, and would in my opinion then be a better option, or at least have more potential upside.
- Despite signs pointing elsewhere, Seri may stay and fulfill more of his potential, which again in my opinion has much potential upside.

With all that said, would love to see a motivated Johansen and McDonald back in contention for those midfield spots. Preferably with at least on of Seri or Anguissa fighting it out together with a youngster or two (O'riley, for example).

Robbie

Irrelevant, half the squad will be gone in six weeks. Possible the manager too.

Statto

Quote from: Robbie on May 06, 2019, 02:27:25 PM

... and next week's lottery numbers please!?

Penfold

Quote from: Statto on May 06, 2019, 02:41:23 PM

7,13,20,25,33 and 47.🙏

filham

That is the big point, it is possible that Johanson and McDonald could be persuaded to stay and Cairney has already committed himself.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Penfold on May 06, 2019, 03:23:55 PM

7,13,20,25,33 and 47.🙏

7 is Kebanos no, 13 Ream, 20 MLM, 25 Rico, 33 Matt Oreilly, 47 is AK 's , so good luck, your going to need it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

H4usuallysitting

Hope I'm not speaking out of turn - but one of the above 2 doesn't want to go anywhere... he's more than happy to stay at Fulham... I'm obviously not talking about Mr Cairney.... I'm talking about one of k Mac &Sstefjo

Sting of the North

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on May 06, 2019, 08:10:19 PM
Hope I'm not speaking out of turn - but one of the above 2 doesn't want to go anywhere... he's more than happy to stay at Fulham... I'm obviously not talking about Mr Cairney.... I'm talking about one of k Mac &Sstefjo

If so, then that is good news. They are both very good Championship midfielders.

Bracken White

With Ranieri gone, I'd hope that Parker can entice Johansen back. Believe too, that both he & McDonald got a raw deal this season. As well as a RB we need to strengthen up top, regardless whether we may especially entice Mitrovic to stay. Latter has been far too isolated most of this season.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

ffcwickford

If we are able to get Mitrovic to stay I think we could potentially get Dwight Gayle from Newcastle by direct purchase.

If Ryan Sessegnon does not sign a new contract then we must sell him this window to get anything like what he is worth and try to get a sell-on clause added in if possible.

It will then open up another winger spot - I think Joe Bryan can play in that position and then we need to find both a new left and right back - now possibly there are academy players to fill those positions, if not we need to use freed up funds from Ryan Sessegnon's sale to buy one of each - good quality championship players, we do need to avoid the loan system and build a squad to stay together should we rise again in the next few seasons!

Penfold

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 06, 2019, 03:50:05 PM

7,13,20,25,33 and 47.🙏

7 is Kebanos no, 13 Ream, 20 MLM, 25 Rico, 33 Matt Oreilly, 47 is AK 's , so good luck, your going to need it.

🤣🤣🤣

fcfulham55

7,13,20,25,33 and 47.🙏

Can I just add, what if those numbers came in and we already knew about them.

I've done them. 9 times. Yeah the same line 9 times incase someone else also wins. I'll get a 90% share of the jackpot.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: fcfulham55 on May 06, 2019, 11:24:52 PM

7,13,20,25,33 and 47.🙏

Can I just add, what if those numbers came in and we already knew about them.

I've done them. 9 times. Yeah the same line 9 times incase someone else also wins. I'll get a 90% share of the jackpot.

Splendid, let's us know when you hit the Jackpot, we might be able to afford to buy a central defender with the proceeds.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

I am happy to start McDonald, Johasen and Cairney, but want Cisse, Anguiissa, Seri and Kebano in the midfield squad as well plus Dwight Gayle too. We need to follow Rafa Benetiz plan when Newcastle went down, increase the size of the squad so that we have 26 championship players (ie greater than £1.5m value) that's 24 players better than Rodak and Rui Fonte.

We should be aiming for a 46 game undeafted streak this time, with Seri and Kamara as our super-subs. In the Championship especially aiming for automatic promotion, big squads help move than XI great players. This season more than half the squad was injured at some stage, we need to destroy all the bottom half teams and do well against the top half too.

A squad of 29 would be good, we need 18 players fit every game plus a spare XI. Our recruitment isn't good at determining who will fit in, to fix this just get heaps of players and let the manager work out the best combination from that squad. I think Tony Khan will get some gems if he gets a squad of 29 players.

Rule 1: Don't Sell and Rule 2 : Buy Double what we Need

Mitch

Where does the need for a value of greater of £1.5m come from? Why doesn't Rodak fit into that?How would you quantify a player whom hasn't been subject to a transfer fee? ...why Cisse?

You've said Seri as a super-sub? In the Championship? A 46 unbeaten-streak - Christ, I thought I was hard to please!

I agree with you re squad size, but I think it's nigh on impossible for us to have a squad of 26-29 that doesn't include a number of 5-6 players of a lesser reputation - especially if Tony is good to his word re learning lessons on the reliance of loans. We do have 2 years to take a calculated risk re money as that is how long we have the parachute money for.

Re the midfield - you'd think it was a given that we'd revert back to Stef, KMac and TC, but I don't know how certain it is that Stef and KMac will 1. Want to come back into the fold after the way they were cast aside and 2. That we won't maybe have better/different ideas ourselves, especially if Anguissa remains.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 07, 2019, 09:29:01 AM

I am happy to start McDonald, Johasen and Cairney, but want Cisse, Anguiissa, Seri and Kebano in the midfield squad as well plus Dwight Gayle too. We need to follow Rafa Benetiz plan when Newcastle went down, increase the size of the squad so that we have 26 championship players (ie greater than £1.5m value) that's 24 players better than Rodak and Rui Fonte.

We should be aiming for a 46 game undeafted streak this time, with Seri and Kamara as our super-subs. In the Championship especially aiming for automatic promotion, big squads help move than XI great players. This season more than half the squad was injured at some stage, we need to destroy all the bottom half teams and do well against the top half too.

A squad of 29 would be good, we need 18 players fit every game plus a spare XI. Our recruitment isn't good at determining who will fit in, to fix this just get heaps of players and let the manager work out the best combination from that squad. I think Tony Khan will get some gems if he gets a squad of 29 players.

I would be very surprised if we will go for a squad of 26 good championship players, unless you count many of the youngsters. To do that we would likely have to get rid of almost every big earner and replace them with a bunch of half decent championship players. You can also, in my opinion, not have 18 first team players + a spare 11 unless you again include a bunch of youngsters. What decent player will want to come in as squad player number 27 for example? Would they be better than our best youngsters?

H4usuallysitting

We could get Kevin De Bruyne in at number 17 - but we'd have to put a clause in his contract that he couldn't play every game

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on May 07, 2019, 10:02:45 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 07, 2019, 09:29:01 AM

I would be very surprised if we will go for a squad of 26 good championship players, unless you count many of the youngsters. To do that we would likely have to get rid of almost every big earner and replace them with a bunch of half decent championship players. You can also, in my opinion, not have 18 first team players + a spare 11 unless you again include a bunch of youngsters. What decent player will want to come in as squad player number 27 for example? Would they be better than our best youngsters?

Frankly, if we sell Ryan Sessegnon for £20m using the money to get two £5m forwards (RW and CF) and five £2m players (RB, LB, CB, RW, LW) spread around the field would really beef up the squad, plus extending Odoi, Johansen, Kebano and Atyie with Kamara and Fonte coming back too, plus youth of Rodak, S.Sess, Fossey, Riley and Torres.

toshes mate

The two successful play off attaining teams were balanced blessed with equal ability from front to back, and provided players could trust each other, know risks and take them, then results would come regularly.  The first season was a flair season for Cairney since his movement could change the points of attack in one or two passes and his team mates all had that sixth sense.  The second season was more varied as to how the team played each game and took account of Cairney's injury and knee worries, but the balanced approach and midfield dynamics still persisted.  This season we haven't had balance or players necessarily knowing each other's games.  Can we get it back for next season?  It depends on so many unknowns at this moment in time, who knows?  I hope Johansen returns - he scored a typically superb goal for WBA against Derby - but how much damage was done by Ranieri?